Jump to content
PogArt Artur

Helmet in ... white ?

Recommended Posts

Hi, does anyone of you friends, fancy white helmets please?

I've found good deal on eBay for Scorpion EXO Combat, but in white :) (£99!!!) 

https://youtu.be/pt8__V7lzkU

The name is confusing me as well, as there's COVERT version too, where on youtube's video demonstration the salesman is taking two parts away - the front and the bottom part of the helmet as well, which is making your ears open...

I didn't see anyone removing that additional bottom part, while watching reviews under the EXO Combat name..?

PS.; I received the answer - Combat is EU version, and by the law requirements can not be as short (above the ears) as the Covert US version, thus Combat has the front removable only.

So I'm confused if this is just the same helmet,or two different versions available.

Anyway I'm heavy metal fan, rock music guy, my soul is dark (if I have one) and I'm wearing in black, lol :) 

But I realise that the white helmet is highly noticeable on the streets, making you visibility in traffic improved, so actually, whether I like white colour or not, wearing helmet in white might be wise choice?

What you think dear friends?

PS.; The chin bar is soft flexible part,just making the look, not meant or tested to provide crash protection at all, maybe against the flies hahahaaa :)

So I'm wonder if it's any good for EUC purpose...

 

Edited by PogArt Artur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 661 reset is my current helmet. My previous one was neon orange. I aim to be seen. Also, when I ride on the streets at high speed, I wear a yellow high visibility vest. I also wear very bright clothes. My soul is a rainbow (nothing implied there :)). If you watch a couple of my videos you'll see... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkhIT2eymw7uj5xJaUGN3g 

 

Edited by Flyboy10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

This is my current helmet. My previous one was neon orange. I aim to be seen. Also, when I ride on the streets at high speed, I wear a yellow high visibility vest. I also wear very bright clothes. My soul is a rainbow (nothing implied there :)). If you watch a couple of my videos you'll see... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkhIT2eymw7uj5xJaUGN3g 

Screenshot_20190403-073819~2.png

Cheers !!!

Thanks for your reply :)

I just trying to make decision, and your answer helps!

The Scorpion has no chin bar crash protection,though...

But other than that I'm fancy that helmet a lot :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh great...

I just have found the previous HELMET related topic posted by @Smoother...

Shame on me :)

Admin - can you move my post to the one started by @Smoother under the protective gear section please?

Sorry for any inconveniences caused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made my mind up - to get that white Scorpion :)

It's good looking, versatile helmet, good price deal , I can put the visor down in case of sunny day, or lift it up riding in a dark, there's two visors in the box btw, dark and light tinted, on very hot days I can remove the chin bar cover to get much more of refreshing air on the face, it's light waigth (1300g), the white colour will strike in the eyes for the drivers or pedestrians making me more visible when approaching...

I think,even if I won't like it as much as I think, I can't be too wrong having it?

I have a plan B too :)

If for some reason I will start thinking I'd appreciated more the black version - the white helmet will be easy to airbrushed in black , lol  :)

Thank you for watching my post guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I have made my mind up - to get that white Scorpion :)

It's good looking, versatile helmet, good price deal , I can put the visor down in case of sunny day, or lift it up riding in a dark, there's two visors in the box btw, dark and light tinted, on very hot days I can remove the chin bar cover to get much more of refreshing air on the face, it's light waigth (1300g), the white colour will strike in the eyes for the drivers or pedestrians making me more visible when approaching...

I think,even if I won't like it as much as I think, I can't be too wrong having it?

I have a plan B too :)

If for some reason I will start thinking I'd appreciated more the black version - the white helmet will be easy to airbrushed in black , lol  :)

Thank you for watching my post guys.

 

Air brushing may weaken the structure of the plastic.  For good faceplant protection, a crash proof chin bar is a must.  White is a good color for hot weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

Air brushing may weaken the structure of the plastic.  For good faceplant protection, a crash proof chin bar is a must.  White is a good color for hot weather.

Hi, I've never had faced such information regarding airbrushing my friend.

I can't imagine how would it ever weaken helmet,but thank you for your awareness my friend.

Yes, the chin bar - this is bothering me a lot...

Cheers  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Hi, I've never had faced such information regarding airbrushing my friend.

I can't imagine how would it ever weaken helmet,but thank you for your awareness my friend.

Yes, the chin bar - this is bothering me a lot...

Cheers  :)

The solvent in the paint may soak into the plastic... 

“Solvents in paint can affect the ABS material of some helmets, particularly older helmets with the older ABS plastic formulation and no clearcoat to protect it,” he says.

“Fibreglass is usually OK, as long as the clearcoat layer is sound.

“If the clearcoat is damaged, there’s a risk of problems, like softening the shell due to solvent leakage into the shell material.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

 

 

Thanks!

I can see why nobody has ever mentioning the possibilities of affecting the helmets by airbrushing/customising them with fine arts...

The airbrush artist should know the helmet types, to know whether it's ok to paint on it or not...

Thanks again!

Wow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update ...

Where to start?

I loved the look of EXO Combat, so unique appearance, the white colour might would be an advantage as well (commuting at late evening/night), but the chin bar is made of soft plastic feature only :(

Unbelievable that it had put me off, and after thinking of it continuously, I have changed my mind,and have asked the seller to cancel the order...

I tried to rethink, what I really want the helmet to be alike, what features are important to me,etc...

After deeper youtube research, I've found the modular helmets,where chin bar can be flipped up,but it is crash certificated.

I wish to have an ability of riding with open face helmet too,for example,while going out for photography with my camera. 

Most of modular helmets weren't good to me,because of the flipped up chin bar,that was sticking out above the forehead :)

Then I found Shark EVO-ONE 2.

This helmet has ticked all the boxes for my purposes.

I haven't heard a bad word against this helmet,so I have started price research.

Compared to my previous choice (exo combat) the best deal for evo-one 2 was £209,which is about £60 more,than the eBay's deals for exo combat in black finish.

I went for that deal,it's the cheapest I could find after couple of hours for searching online deals... 

I'm sure it is worth to spent more, and use the helmet daily with much greater enjoyment.

YOUTUBE REVIEW ; https://youtu.be/Z5lUBfqGTmg

- On the photos below is my helmet (ebay's photos).

20190404_190418.jpg

Screenshot_20190404-190614_eBay.jpg

20190404_190404.jpg

20190404_190514.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Update ...

Where to start?

I loved the look of EXO Combat, so unique appearance, the white colour might would be and advantage as well (commuting at late evening/night), but the chin bar is soft plastic made feature only :(

Unbelievable it had put me off, and after thinking of it continuously, I have changed my mind,and have asked the seller to cancel the order...

I tried to rethink, what I really want the helmet to be alike, what features are important to me,etc...

After deeper youtube research, I've found the modular helmets,where chin bar can be flipped up,but it is crash certified.

I wish to have an ability of riding with open face helmet too,for example,while going out for photography with my camera. 

Most of modular helmets weren't good to me,because of the flipped up chin bar,that was sticking out above the forehead :)

Then I found Shark EVO-ONE 2.

This helmet has ticked all the boxes for my purposes.

I haven't heard a bad word against this helmet,so I have started price research.

Compared to my previous choice (exo combat) the best deal for evo-one 2 was £209,which is about £60 more,than the eBay's deals for exo combat in black finish.

I went for that deal,it's the cheapest I could find after couple of hours for searching online deals... 

I'm sure it is worth to spent more, and use the helmet daily with much greater enjoyment.

YOUTUBE REVIEW ; https://youtu.be/Z5lUBfqGTmg

- On the photos below is my helmet (ebay's photos).

20190404_190418.jpg

Screenshot_20190404-190614_eBay.jpg

20190404_190404.jpg

20190404_190514.jpg

That is practically similar to my LS2 FF399 EU model. 

You see some sauing LS2 and Shark might have developed it together.

I love it. That simple. You see it at the end of video.

 

Edited by Unventor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Unventor said:

That is practically similar to my LS2 FF399 EU model. 

You see some sauing LS2 and Shark might have developed it together.

I love it. That simple. You see it at the end of video.

 

Interesting!

We're the same age,and our helmets are nearly the same type , lol !?

Watching the LS2 is like watching Shark Evo-One 2 indeed ! 

hahahaaa :)

To be honest I liked more the Roof Boxer V8 design,which reminded me the Scorpion Exo Combat - but again, no chin bar protection other than against flies  :)

Then I were watching reviews, where users were complaining against water leaks while riding in the rain...

I knew I'm very after, to have proven chin bar crash protection, so the choice of Shark Evo-One 2 was obvious...

Best regards @Unventor :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like  a great choice.  flipping up the chin bar will also make it easier to take a drink of water while riding..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

looks like  a great choice.  flipping up the chin bar will also make it easier to take a drink of water while riding..

I use this a lot shopping. 

Most shop dislike customets wearing mc helmets while shopping. Due to risk of your are a potential there to cause harm.

But when I enter smallers shopes I enter then flip the chin bar back, that also flips visor up automatic. 

Now the staff see my face more and they tend to forget about the helmet. I gues after 2-3 visits they recognise me do to helmet, ride clothing and the wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai-lad said:

looks like  a great choice.  flipping up the chin bar will also make it easier to take a drink of water while riding..

Thanks...

Mainly this is why I were searching for helmet,that has the chin bar "removable".

I couldn't have imagine myself, going out for photography,and having such unpleasant effort of taking off/on the helmet at every time for taking a picture :)

Also shopping!

When I were motorcycling, the shops stuff were asking me to take the helmet off for security reasons...

So the idea of taking the chin bar off - was a must :)

Unfortunately, I thought all the flip up modular helmets looking the same.

Large,bulky with the fronts flipped up above the head...

So I'v never checked those out..,until yesterday :)

This one is tested,certificated to be used opened, or full face, has a pin lock (I love it, it's helped me a lot to keep my visor steamless).

That's right my friend,I think it's good choice :)

Best regards :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, Thai-lad said:

looks like  a great choice.  flipping up the chin bar will also make it easier to take a drink of water while riding..

That's right  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 6:08 AM, Unventor said:

I use this a lot shopping. 

Most shop dislike customets wearing mc helmets while shopping. Due to risk of your are a potential there to cause harm.

But when I enter smallers shopes I enter then flip the chin bar back, that also flips visor up automatic. 

Now the staff see my face more and they tend to forget about the helmet. I gues after 2-3 visits they recognise me do to helmet, ride clothing and the wheel.

I used to be forced by shop's staff to take the helmet off for the same reason - safety.

It was always upsetting me,carrying the helmet while walking in tight shops...

The flip up chin bar should solve the issue, if they'll see our faces in full :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just come home to find out the helmet has been delivered :)

Everything is great, as I expected!

I'm very satisfied with that choice.

IMG_08042019_171034_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 3:28 AM, Thai-lad said:

Air brushing may weaken the structure of the plastic.  For good faceplant protection, a crash proof chin bar is a must.  White is a good color for hot weather.

Hi, just thought I share with you @Thai-lad the information,that I've found on the box ...

I was airbrushing fine arts, I were going to airbrushing helmets, leather jackets, you know, all the motorbikers gear ...

I know artists that airbrushing all I've mentioned above, but never been warned ...

Thank you.

 

IMG_08042019_174355_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

 

IMG_08042019_174355_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Most helmet makers give those warnings as glue or other chemical reacts to the surface of the helmet. It can harden the compound and make the helmet to crack easier.

That is why I placed my readview mirrow as I have done. My LS2 FF399 EU version is similar but yet slightly different.

I used 3M Duallock 4570 tape. It acts like small mushrooms that interlocks together. But I placed it on a metal surface that doesn't change or reacts with.the glue.

In closed chinbar mode

20190408_201629.thumb.jpg.488bab74052b02af9c99d59909eb554f.jpg

In open chinbar mode

20190408_201534.thumb.jpg.a2abc1ffcae505a585c1a3e29e69f250.jpg

I can unhook the rearview mirrow and reattach it. It is 5 times stronger than velcro.

Once I wear the helmet the mirrow is my top left view so it doesn't block traffic or road conditions view I close right I fore to focos on the mirrow maybe twitching neck a bit to view a wider area, kinda like scanning.

I really wouldn't stick or paint the helmet as due to the warning label similar to what you posted. This is the same for all my helmets (I have 4 by now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Most helmet makers give those warnings as glue or other chemical reacts to the surface of the helmet. It can harden the compound and make the helmet to crack easier.

That is why I placed my readview mirrow as I have done. My LS2 FF399 EU version is similar but yet slightly different.

I used 3M Duallock 4570 tape. It acts like small mushrooms that interlocks together. But I placed it on a metal surface that doesn't change or reacts with.the glue.

In closed chinbar mode

20190408_201629.thumb.jpg.488bab74052b02af9c99d59909eb554f.jpg

In open chinbar mode

20190408_201534.thumb.jpg.a2abc1ffcae505a585c1a3e29e69f250.jpg

I can unhook the rearview mirrow and reattach it. It is 5 times stronger than velcro.

Once I wear the helmet the mirrow is my top left view so it doesn't block traffic or road conditions view I close right I fore to focos on the mirrow maybe twitching neck a bit to view a wider area, kinda like scanning.

I really wouldn't stick or paint the helmet as due to the warning label similar to what you posted. This is the same for all my helmets (I have 4 by now).

Thanks to your photos I have some idea of where to put the mirror  :)

I like to keep it on the helmet,but thinking to mount it on the wrist instead...

I haven't decided yet, maybe both :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-> UPDATE - HELMET RETURNED!
I've just found,a moments ago,the production serial number on this helmet.
I've read article,where was pointed out an issue regarding chin guard latch fault.
The crash tests were succeeded in 33% only, so they've improved that issue later.
And since then the test was 100% passable.
Unbelievable is that,they still selling those early production helmets - unfortunately this is what I was offered :(
I've packed it up straight away,and sent it back already!

Don't know what to do now...

It's so upsetting, because before I placed the order,I've asked the seller to check that serial number for me...

He responded,that he couldn't find it...

It's obvious now, he knew what he's selling, wasn't he?

He thought,once received it won't be returned?

£200 for faulty latch system?

No way I would keep it.

Just annoying wasting of time.

FULL ARTICLE ;

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/a-review-of-the-evo-one-modular-crash-helmet-by-shark/

 

Screenshot_20190404-164335_Chrome.jpg

20190408_193255.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

-> UPDATE - HELMET RETURNED!
I've just found,a moments ago,the production serial number on this helmet.
I've read article,where was pointed out an issue regarding chin guard latch fault.
The crash tests were succeeded in 33% only, so they've improved that issue later.
And since then the test was 100% passable.
Unbelievable is that,they still selling those early production helmets - unfortunately this is what I was offered :(
I've packed it up straight away,and sent it back already!

Don't know what to do now...

It's so upsetting, because before I placed the order,I've asked the seller to check that serial number for me...

He responded,that he couldn't find it...

It's obvious now, he knew what he's selling, wasn't he?

He thought,once received it won't be returned?

£200 for faulty latch system?

No way I would keep it.

Just annoying wasting of time.

FULL ARTICLE ;

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/a-review-of-the-evo-one-modular-crash-helmet-by-shark/

 

Screenshot_20190404-164335_Chrome.jpg

20190408_193255.jpg

As I wrote you earlier the LS2 FF399 is similar in functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people haven't quite figured out this helmet thing yet.

FB_IMG_1554800716816-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...