Electric Unicycle seized/confiscated by Police in Dublin, Ireland.

I do not get this. The policeman keeps telling them that they were using mechanically propelled vehicles. I am no engineer but to me these are electrically propelled, not mechanically. Secondly, what about all those 4 wheeled electric mopeds used by old or disabled people on the pavements or on the road? No numberplate or insurance either.

• Upvote 1

They do everything by laws and rules ,,, come on, a tow truck ,,, seriously,,,, unbelievable, they have us at everything no insurance or number plate , I'm sure we would if we could but we can't ☹️

Edited by stephen

1 hour ago, Gabor Racz said:

I do not get this. The policeman keeps telling them that they were using mechanically propelled vehicles. I am no engineer but to me these are electrically propelled, not mechanically. Secondly, what about all those 4 wheeled electric mopeds used by old or disabled people on the pavements or on the road? No numberplate or insurance either.

That's a term for anything Propelled by an engine or motor, it's from law dating back 1961...

Those have an "exception" on the law, and I agree with that. 

13 minutes ago, stephen said:

They do everything by laws and rules ,,, come on, a tow truck ,,, seriously,,,, unbelievable, they have us at everything no insurance or number plate , I'm sure we would if we could but we can't ☹️

Have you tried carrying an EUC on a motorcycle? ;) There's no place to put it. Even less so on a cop bike all loaded down with radios and sirens, and back seat removed, etc.

EDIT. And I supposed delivering a confiscated vehicle to the impound lot and doing all the paperwork, is a waste of police time, when it is customary for the tow truck to do it.

I've actually had to contemplate this as my tow vehicle for my RV is actually going to be my MC on a trailer hitch.  But when I want to ride the bike to a place I want to ride the EUC, I have to figure out where to stow it without it becoming a 70mph missile if I get in a wreck.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, stephen said:

He is on a motorbike, but I'm sure that if it was a car he would have also called the tow truck haha. 

• Like 1

The tow truck actually got lucky, he usually can only tow one car per trip, but he made three times the money this time. 

The EUC rider got a lift from the tow truck (nice from him), and saw how the tow truck was called for a car collection and they took the scooter and EUC into the truck cabin to make space for the car. 

• Like 3

Here’s a post from Gyrowheel about the laws pertaining to electric scooters, unicycles and skateboards in Ireland. 

What is the legal status of electric/battery powered scooters, unicycles and skateboards in Ireland?

Electric vehicles or any other Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (MPV) do not need to be taxed or insured in Ireland as long as they don’t go over 45 mph. All our products travel below 45 mph. However, if any  electric vehicles go over 45 mph, then those would need to get tax and insurance like a regular car or motorbike.

The legal position is that if an electric scooter can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedaling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, all our electric scooters have the setting that it requires an initial scoot by the user to begin motion therefore they require scooting for propulsion. Therefore if such scooters are to be used in any public place, again they do not require insurance and road tax as they are not a MPV and travel under 45mph. The driver of the scooter does not require a driving licence as the scooters are not a MPV in terms of road traffic legislation. https://gyrowheel.ie/faq/

For further details please see garda.ie

Here’s a video posted by an Irish blogger that investigates in detail the legality of electric skateboards in Ireland. Fast forward through the intro. He takes you through the maze of bureaucracy. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Electric vehicles or any other Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (MPV) do not need to be taxed or insured in Ireland as long as they don’t go over 45 mph. All our products travel below 45 mph. However, if any  electric vehicles go over 45 mph, then those would need to get tax and insurance like a regular car or motorbike.

The legal position is that if an electric scooter can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedaling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, all our electric scooters have the setting that it requires an initial scoot by the user to begin motion therefore they require scooting for propulsion. Therefore if such scooters are to be used in any public place, again they do not require insurance and road tax as they are not a MPV and travel under 45mph. The driver of the scooter does not require a driving licence as the scooters are not a MPV in terms of road traffic

Quote from official Garda (Police) website 

The use of these types of scooters has become very popular in recent years, especially with children. The legal position is that if one of these scooters can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedalling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, irrespective of engine capacity. If such scooters are to be used in any public place, they require insurance and road tax as with any other MPV. The driver would also require a driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet. If the user of such a scooter cannot fulfil these legal requirements, then the scooter should only be used on private property."

There is a follow on video, to the one originally posted, where a scooter rider gets to keep his scooter because he shows the cop that it requires a scoot to get moving before the power cuts in. He even showed them a print out of the Garda web site.

EUCs ARE illegal in Ireland because you do not need to pedal or scoot them to get the motor to cut in,

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

Kids should drive those plastic power wheel jeeps around a public park in protest. 

Watch the cop write all these kids up for breaking the law. Try to get photos of the kids faces when they are taken away. Thank you law enforcement :pooping:

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Have you tried carrying an EUC on a motorcycle? ;) There's no place to put it. Even less so on a cop bike all loaded down with radios and sirens, and back seat removed, etc.

47 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

He is on a motorbike, but I'm sure that if it was a car he would have also called the tow truck haha

I just thought a van would of been safice , but the police officer probably couldn't explain what it was when so they sent a tow truck, they do have recovery vans in Ireland don't they 🤔 I've seen them shove motorcycles in ,i just thought it was a bit OTT

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stephen said:

I just thought a van would of been safice , but the police officer probably couldn't explain what it was when so they sent a tow truck, they do have recovery vans in Ireland don't they 🤔 I've seen them shove motorcycles in ,i just thought it was a bit OTT

It did sound extreme didn't it.

Sometimes, when I don't understand what im looking at I try to see it from a different perspective.

But most of the time I just yell F..CK YOU!

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

In the end of the day I think it would be better to pass a legistration you can ride upto 20kmh no license, upto 50kmh if take a licence to ride electric powered personal transport. You shpuld be able to register them and insure them as a moped.

That way people misbehanig in traffic can loose the previledge of enjoying safe EUC riding. In case of an accident none stands with a huge legal bill they can't pay and if someone gets injured they can claim cover from the cause of accident.

Imho i think this is the best way to not end up in situations like the above video.

Having a clear legality of EUCs should help to bring up sales as it is hard to sell to aarket where you risk loosing you EUC every time you leave home.

You might do that in US for now. But here in EU laws work a bit different, like it or not, law rules. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

I have electric vehicles in my news feed, and while a few towns and cities are allowing them, the general trend is overwhelmingly anti-PEV. Governments can't seem to pass laws fast enough banning their usage. Interestingly, in the US even bicycles are being caught up in this outlawing, as a few suburban areas are now passing anti-bicycle laws.

Americans are using cars at ever higher rates, and the trend towards more miles is accelerating.

https://transportationtodaynews.com/news/12300-us-drivers-traveling-more-than-ever-according-to-federal-highway-administration/

The trend is clear; more and bigger cars, worse gas mileage, and the highest miles ever logged. Drivers don't much like PEVs and bicyclists getting in their way, and are now doing everything they can to eliminate those annoyances from their roads and streets.

Even laws that are suppose to protect bicyclists are actually not to protect them but absolves drivers who hit them!

https://www.abqjournal.com/1295229/cyclists-call-for-veto-of-bike-safety-bill-of-sidepath-mandate.html?utm_source=abqjournal.com&utm_medium=sidebar+-+post+list+-+north&utm_campaign=post+list

Even bike friendly Seattle, birthplace of the SoloWheel, is rolling back protected bike lanes for...turn lanes? Because dangerous turn lanes are more important than a bike lane.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/03/27/seattle-mayors-bike-lane-retreat-worries-activists/

90-95% of US people are drivers. In the Southern US .05 % of people commute by bicycle.

Until we see the extreme direct effects of car driving, more than what we see now, we'll just keep going down this road towards more car usage and less PEV/bicycle usage, even as nations outlaw all PEVs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I have electric vehicles in my news feed, and while a few towns and cities are allowing them, the general trend is overwhelmingly anti-PEV. Governments can't seem to pass laws fast enough banning their usage. Interestingly, in the US even bicycles are being caught up in this outlawing, as a few suburban areas are now passing anti-bicycle laws.

Americans are using cars at ever higher rates, and the trend towards more miles is accelerating.

https://transportationtodaynews.com/news/12300-us-drivers-traveling-more-than-ever-according-to-federal-highway-administration/

The trend is clear; more and bigger cars, worse gas mileage, and the highest miles ever logged. Drivers don't much like PEVs and bicyclists getting in their way, and are now doing everything they can to eliminate those annoyances from their roads and streets.

Even laws that are suppose to protect bicyclists are actually not to protect them but absolves drivers who hit them!

https://www.abqjournal.com/1295229/cyclists-call-for-veto-of-bike-safety-bill-of-sidepath-mandate.html?utm_source=abqjournal.com&utm_medium=sidebar+-+post+list+-+north&utm_campaign=post+list

Even bike friendly Seattle, birthplace of the SoloWheel, is rolling back protected bike lanes for...turn lanes? Because dangerous turn lanes are more important than a bike lane.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/03/27/seattle-mayors-bike-lane-retreat-worries-activists/

90-95% of US people are drivers. In the Southern US .05 % of people commute by bicycle.

Until we see the extreme direct effects of car driving, more than what we see now, we'll just keep going down this road towards more car usage and less PEV/bicycle usage, even as nations outlaw all PEVs.

Come to California. You'll be safe here :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Come to California. You'll be safe here :)

I was going to say, if you ban electric vehicles in California, every evironmentalist and Tesla owner will be knocking that wall down. All Californian law makers can do is help keep them safe. 

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
9 hours ago, Smoother said:

@PogArt Artur do you have a brother in Ireland?:)

He put up a good fight but it's hard to fight when you don't have a leg to stand on.

That's too bad.  And it was the cops lucky day, he got a two-fer. with the escooter rider, riding straight into the crime scene like a brainless moron.

Similar to UK laws.  Recently I have altered course (read: ran and hid) at least twice when the 5, 0 hove into view.  Last week I got off and trollied right past an occupied Po Po van, keeping my legs between the wheel and the van as much as possible, but even this was unnecessary risk, so I wont do that again.

This video vindicates my cautious approach. When wheeling illegally it's best to channel your inner Ninja and fade into the shadows sharpish.

No, no brothers or sisters in Ireland @Smoother :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worry.

Guest PogArt Artur
8 hours ago, Smoother said:

Quote from official Garda (Police) website 

The use of these types of scooters has become very popular in recent years, especially with children. The legal position is that if one of these scooters can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedalling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, irrespective of engine capacity. If such scooters are to be used in any public place, they require insurance and road tax as with any other MPV. The driver would also require a driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet. If the user of such a scooter cannot fulfil these legal requirements, then the scooter should only be used on private property."

There is a follow on video, to the one originally posted, where a scooter rider gets to keep his scooter because he shows the cop that it requires a scoot to get moving before the power cuts in. He even showed them a print out of the Garda web site.

EUCs ARE illegal in Ireland because you do not need to pedal or scoot them to get the motor to cut in,

@Smoother I'm a bit confused, because all the informations tells,that it's necessary to initially scoot the scooter to get it moved, so scooting is required ..,etc.

Then at the example above the scooter rider keeps his scooter because he shows ..."

Then at the bottom end you've mention why EUC are illegal.

What I mean is - can EUC rider get away by showing that the wheel needs to be initially scooted to get to move..?

It's very thin and slick , as afterwards it is powered by itself to get rolling...

Lol.

I wish I could have in hand any certificate or document to show,in case of pulling off by cops... 

Edited by PogArt Artur