Crash history of Unventor

40 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Falling off the EUC will affect the legs area for sure.

If you face plant, your knees will probably contact the ground.  Pads under trousers, trousers get ruined, Pads over trousers pads get scratched, trousers should live to fight another day.

If you roll over, or are forced to roll over, your hip could strike the ground, which would hurt and also probably damage your trousers.

If you try to run it off at speed you could do serious damage to a knee or ankle or both. People who run it off at speed put a tremendous load on a leg, and often a knee makes a hard contact shortly afterwards.  Try to avoid shock loading your knees ankles knees, hips, and for that matter wrists, elbows and shoulders.  Pretty much try to avoid shock loading your limbs, if you want to limit injuries.

• Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

If you face plant, your knees will probably contact the ground.  Pads under trousers, trousers get ruined, Pads over trousers pads get scratched, trousers should live to fight another day.

If you roll over, or are forced to roll over, your hip could strike the ground, which would hurt and also probably damage your trousers.

If you try to run it off at speed you could do serious damage to a knee or ankle or both. People who run it off at speed put a tremendous load on a leg, and often a knee makes a hard contact shortly afterwards.  Try to avoid shock loading your knees ankles knees, hips, and for that matter wrists, elbows and shoulders.  Pretty much try to avoid shock loading your limbs, if you want to limit injuries.

Your advices are always very thoughtful and wisely described...

Knowing myself,I know I won't breach the high way speed limits lol :)

But I suspect the falls off may/will happen for sure.

Thus I'm just thinking of getting dressed with D3O foam, to feel comfotrable and not too bulky...

I was thinking of the pads over trousers, because I'm planning commuting wearing my company's uniform trousers...

I may have put over those uniform trousers some of rain proof "kind" trousers,in case of weather change...

Honesty it's not getting any easy to decide what I really want @Smoother :)

I'm ok to put on my motorbike jacket,that I bought earlier, but how to dress at the bottom is giving me headache :)

As far as I know the life, it will be sorted out and clearer, once I start commuting :)

Cheers for your opinions!

You are a wise man Mr. S.:) Agreed on both points.

* Instead of worrying what people think, we can determine what people think. If we do something (consistently), they have no choice but assume that's how it's done. We're the only point of reference. So being obvious isn't a negative, instead our attitude should be "We know what's right because we're the ones doing it!". Be righteous (and of course not stupid or an asshole):) Don't think of people judging us, think of us teaching people by showing the new normal (whether they like it or not, this also emphasizes this it's not their judgement to make - though everyone so far seems to have liked seeing my EUCing).

* Boy you are right about the knee danger. I had a slow, completely harmless step off yesterday (forest, tree root, offroad, etc.) and even then I realized how surprisingly hard the first step was on the (automatically fully extended) knee.

At higher speeds, it's probably better to intentionally fall on your knees than run off. When I bought my (longboarding) knee guards in a specialty store, the tip I got was "just fall on your knees if you know you're about to crash". That was more right than I realized.

This might also be an argument for over-the-pants, hard plastic knee guards. I don't think falling on the D3O type stuff is a good idea - they don't slide, and they cushion less!

• Like 3

Guest PogArt Artur
13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You are a wise man Mr. S.:) Agreed on both points.

* Instead of worrying what people think, we can determine what people think. If we do something (consistently), they have no choice but assume that's how it's done. We're the only point of reference. So being obvious isn't a negative, instead our attitude should be "We know what's right because we're the ones doing it!". Be righteous (and of course not stupid or an asshole):) Don't think of people judging us, think of us teaching people by showing the new normal (whether they like it or not, this also emphasizes this it's not their judgement to make - though everyone so far seems to have liked seeing my EUCing).

* Boy you are right about the knee danger. I had a slow, completely harmless step off yesterday (forest, tree root, offroad, etc.) and even then I realized how surprisingly hard the first step was on the (automatically fully extended) knee.

At higher speeds, it's probably better to intentionally fall on your knees than run off. When I bought my (longboarding) knee guards in a specialty store, the tip I got was "just fall on your knees if you know you're about to crash". That was more right than I realized.

This might also be an argument for over-the-pants, hard plastic knee guards. I don't think falling on the D3O type stuff is a good idea - they don't slide, and they cushion less!

It's so appreciative to talk to you guys...

The idea of dropping on the knees to get the impact first,instead of risking the joints harm by stepping off - is giving me pure idea what the fall off might look alike.

Thank you for your advice/comment @meepmeepmayer.

Guys, can you advice some knee protectors to buy as we discussed it...

There's plenty on eBay, but most Chinese made...

I don't mind,but I know they're perfect regarding copies ...

So to me the protectors might look pro alike, but I'm not trust it to pass fully the CE tests - if you know I mean :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

Get knee giards that you don't have to slide into, these are super annoying (e.g. you have to remove your shoes to get in/out). "Butterfly" ones that wrap around your knee are much more pleasant and convenient, and you can adjust the fit better.

And I personally would strongly prefer hard plastic exterior ones over D3O type ones, mainly because they slide much better. The D3O type only seems to slide in indoor sports on super smooth ground. Not so much pavement.

In a EUC crash over 25kph, you slide. The one thing you do NOT want is something stopping you from sliding. The energy either goes into sliding, or it goes into impact/your body rolling/God knows what. Sliding is better:) (as long as it's on a protector and not our skin:whistling:)

(The exact same thing applies to wrist guards. Hard plastic all the way!)

And they protect your clothes because they're on the outside. Such a crash can get expensive faster than you might think.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Get knee giards that you don't have to slide into, these are super annoying (e.g. you have to remove your shoes to get in/out). "Butterfly" ones that wrap around your knee are much more pleasant and convenient, and you can adjust the fit better.

And I personally would strongly prefer hard plastic exterior ones over D3O type ones, mainly because they slide much better. The D3O type only seems to slide in indoor sports on super smooth ground. Not so much pavement.

In a EUC crash over 25kph, you slide. The one thing you do NOT want is something stopping you from sliding. The energy either goes into sliding, or it goes into impact/your body rolling/God knows what. Sliding is better:) (as long as it's on a protector and not our skin:whistling:)

(The exact same thing applies to wrist guards. Hard plastic all the way!)

And they protect your clothes because they're on the outside. Such a crash can get expensive faster than you might think.

Thanks !!!

40 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

The idea of dropping on the knees to get the impact first,instead of risking the joints harm by stepping off - is giving me pure idea what the fall off might look alike.

Theory is one thing, reality is another. I think you'd have to train this for you to do this reliably. And God help you if the new reflex kicks in in another situation where you're not wearing knee guards:D

It's just what I've been told by people with longboarding/halfpipe experience, skateboard related.

(This means: if you try this and it doesn't work, you can't sue me:D)

20 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Guys, can you advice some knee protectors to buy as we discussed it...

When I started I was vacationing in France.  I found a local generic sporting goods store and bought a pad kit from the in line skating section.  |t cost about 15 euros or less.  I STILL USE THAT KIT TODAY!  With the addition of Flexmeter wrist guards.  All my face plants have been on this cheapo stuff and I'm doing fine. The hard outer shell of the pad, does two very important things: slide to dissipate energy (as already discussed ad nausium).  But it also spreads the loads from the actual contact patch which can be as small as a pebble (if you fall on a pebble).  This load spreading is essential, because it takes the pressure from the contact patch and shares it with the rest of the padding inside the shell, not just the padding immediately under the contact patch.  Im just not sure that if you fell onto something pointy like a jagged rock with just D30 that the force of the point of the rock wouldn't get transferred through to the body right under that point.  Also D30 is going to want to cling to that rock as the outer surface conforms to it and then essentially binds to it.  I know D30 is a British invention and I should be all patriotic, But I'm sorry, I'm not drinking to Cool-Aid on this one (PogArt, google it)

FYI the the less the pad slides over the ground, the more it will either want to stick the landing (broken bones) and/or slide  off the protected joint therefor not protecting it any further.

If you're going to get D30 consider if it slides or not.  If it needs an outer shell, you might as well save some money and get regular pads (that's just my view on it) Your body, your protection regimen.

:roflmao:@meepmeepmayer has just posed as I am typing.  Pretty much saying the same thing. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
22 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Theory is one thing, reality is another. I think you'd have to train this for you to do this reliably. And God help you if the new reflex kicks in in another situation where you're not wearing knee guards:D

It's just what I've been told by people with longboarding/halfpipe experience, skateboard related.

(This means: if you try this and it doesn't work, you can't sue me:D)

hahaaa haaaa :)

Guest PogArt Artur
24 minutes ago, Smoother said:

When I started I was vacationing in France.  I found a local generic sporting goods store and bought a pad kit from the in line skating section.  |t cost about 15 euros or less.  I STILL USE THAT KIT TODAY!  With the addition of Flexmeter wrist guards.  All my face plants have been on this cheapo stuff and I'm doing fine. The hard outer shell of the pad, does two very important things: slide to dissipate energy (as already discussed ad nausium).  But it also spreads the loads from the actual contact patch which can be as small as a pebble (if you fall on a pebble).  This load spreading is essential, because it takes the pressure from the contact patch and shares it with the rest of the padding inside the shell, not just the padding immediately under the contact patch.  Im just not sure that if you fell onto something pointy like a jagged rock with just D30 that the force of the point of the rock wouldn't get transferred through to the body right under that point.  Also D30 is going to want to cling to that rock as the outer surface conforms to it and then essentially binds to it.  I know D30 is a British invention and I should be all patriotic, But I'm sorry, I'm not drinking to Cool-Aid on this one (PogArt, google it)

FYI the the less the pad slides over the ground, the more it will either want to stick the landing (broken bones) and/or slide  off the protected joint therefor not protecting it any further.

If you're going to get D30 consider if it slides or not.  If it needs an outer shell, you might as well save some money and get regular pads (that's just my view on it) Your body, your protection regimen.

:roflmao:@meepmeepmayer has just posed as I am typing.  Pretty much saying the same thing. :cheers:

Thanks again!

Lesson learnt :)

It seems no matter how expensive,Chinese or not, it's all about the exact situation sometimes...

As we fall, we can't make it our way, i stead we're about to take whatever we hit, small sharp object or flat surface...

We also can't go out dressed Robocop alike...

All I'm saying is that, we may have pricy top brand protection gear,but we may get unlucky and just hit something else, that the expensive gear wash't meant to deal with...

Your thoughts guys, the conversation and suggestions, has gave me much greater understanding.

Thank you for that :)

(I'll google cool-aid later on @Smoother ) :)

19 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks again!

Lesson learnt :)

It seems no matter how expensive,Chinese or not, it's all about the exact situation sometimes...

As we fall, we can't make it our way, i stead we're about to take whatever we hit, small sharp object or flat surface...

We also can't go out dressed Robocop alike...

All I'm saying is that, we may have pricy top brand protection gear,but we may get unlucky and just hit something else, that the expensive gear wash't meant to deal with...

Your thoughts guys, the conversation and suggestions, has gave me much greater understanding.

Thank you for that :)

(I'll google cool-aid later on @Smoother ) :)

That's true, there is an element of luck (or not) always  ALL my face plants have been chosen for me.  I didn't decide to slide, I had no choice, one second I was wheeling along happy as a pig in shit, 0.25 seconds later i'm sliding down the sidewalk wondering WTF just happened. Even more reason to have slide-happy gear.

Don't google Cool Aid, google "drink the Cool aid"

(although I have just found out that the initial report was incorrect, typical, "Flavor-Aid was the product in question.  Never heard of it.)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's true, there is an element of luck (or not) always  ALL my face plants have been chosen for me.  I didn't decide to slide, I had no choice, one second I was wheeling along happy as a pig in shit, 0.25 seconds later i'm sliding down the sidewalk wondering WTF just happened. Even more reason to have slide-happy gear.

Don't google Cool Aid, google "drink the Cool aid"

(although I have just found out that the initial report was incorrect, typical, "Flavor-Aid was the product in question.  Never heard of it.)

I've checked drinking the kool-aid @Smoother :)

I understood - slide happy gear!

:)

Yeah, situations happens no matter what and when :)

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Unventor said:

So the great part here is people air tjeir thought and theories about events of crashing or lets call it an accident.

There is a pre stage to this, avoid the situation to beging with. That is the avocates of don't use gear at all. Imho that is all great but for those times you are taken by suprice then being prepared by wearing protective gear will help you.

Now come next stage. Learning how to use the gear right. Some favour sliding, some tumbling, some other ways...

Now I  don't have a skatebord history. I grew up with a bike. Crashing on a bike makes sliding hard, so I learned to prepare for tumbling. I also had the joy of doing floor gymnastics as a group show, and trampoline vaulting, not high lrvel stuff but enought to learn that if you don't make a jump then you do what is possible to tumble, never try to land something impossible. And never flap arms or legs.

So do this I favour D3O. I might be wrong but there are 2 major things that I like. It can be fitted onto your cloth so easy and fast to put on. Since it is flexible it is fairly comfortable compared to stiff materials. So now the option to slide comes from the fabric you wear over the D3O. I gues at high speed you rather slide, but the slower you speed is the hatder it becomes to slide. So do to this I rather tumble my way out if possible.

Now last friday I don't think Ianaged to tumble much, but my 3DO paddings saved my sjoulder, hip and albow. Yes I  hurt a bit today at work, but in general I came out of this accidet relative unskaved.

Next time I am sure that I am not so lucky. So was ot worth to spend +800€ ? A huge yes to me. I rode to work today chin up and se when going home. No 2nd thoughts. As @Marty Backe said riding EUC is such a pleasure in so many levels that I embrace the rish. My use of gear is how I try to mitigate the risk in my view. 

I  sure more mileage will make me a safer rider. So here I ride on. I am still buy a KS16X asap it is avaliable. Despite the hickup this Friday.

Accidents happens no matter what,so can we stop it happen if we won't ride EUC any  more? No bicycling then..?, no motorbiking, no car driving - to stop accidents?

No, it's unstoppable.

The accidents will happen somewhere else then!

If we can't stop it - lets enjoy what we do, no matter what :)

We can get injured at home on our sofas as well  :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

@PogArt Artur I don't plan to stop riding. I have money set aside ready asap KS16X is released. 

I try to do it smart and gear up most of the times. My latest accident made me gear up more picking up my lunch pizza today 400m from work, both helmet and poc jacket and mc jacket on near mon traffic area at lunch.

Right now I am starting to research some kneepads if Mc trouser get too hot this summer.

Guest PogArt Artur
10 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@PogArt Artur I don't plan to stop riding. I have money set aside ready asap KS16X is released. 

I try to do it smart and gear up most of the times. My latest accident made me gear up more picking up my lunch pizza today 400m from work, both helmet and poc jacket and mc jacket on near mon traffic area at lunch.

Right now I am starting to research some kneepads if Mc trouser get too hot this summer.

I wasn't saying anything regarding you stopping anything my friend, I know you know it ;)

I just have posted some accident related thoughts.

I'm searching for knee pads too, as you know  :)

On 3/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, Unventor said:

Today I went for a nice ride with @Jens Ronnedal and @Yffisch

At near the end just 2 km from home tops, we meet a skateboard rider doing his classes s moves. It is at a ][ section on the road. So we don't have as much room to maneuver. I am going first but all of a sudden I see the skayer do a S instead of s move. So my reacting is to steer clear of him. In doing so my pedals hit the curbs hard and I go down. I don't want to faceplant so my reaction is to twist my body ad much as possible so I  more or less land on shoulder sideways straight on.

Now I am waiting for x-ray pictures to be taken. But shoulder is dislocated.... 

More to follow.

@Unventor

Sorry to hear about your recent crash!

I wish you a very fast recovery! And hope your are Ok for the circumstances....or get well soon!

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
33 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I wasn't saying anything regarding you stopping anything my friend, I know you know it ;)

I just have posted some accident related thoughts.

I'm searching for knee pads too, as you know  :)

I've found something D3O related, pricy as hell too, but it's looking promising :)

I've watched YouTube review,it can be on top or under pants...

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Demon_Hyper_KneeShin_X_D3O_SnowboardSki_Pads_XL_Black-(114901)

https://youtu.be/A77LXffXETI

The cheaper D3O option :

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Race-Face-Flank-Leg-D3O-Guard_71839.htm

Edited by PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur
8 minutes ago, Unventor said:

A minor update.

So I  didn't really have pain in my shoulder, more like in the area towards the elbow in the muscles.

So today something snaped or cracked (like you can do with fingers) in the shoulder changing into my POC DH jacket, and the pain was gone. 

So today I took the first ride othe short distance commuting. Going home from I went shopping with my backpack. A 15ish km ride. Feels nice to ride again despite I ride a bit more cautious. I still cannot move my arm freely and I don't want to take another hit to the shoulder at its current status.

Hopefully I can move my arm freely after this weekend. Lifting stuff will properly take a bit more time. 

It's always good to follow good news my friend  :)

On 4/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, US69 said:

@Unventor

Sorry to hear about your recent crash!

I wish you a very fast recovery! And hope your are Ok for the circumstances....or get well soon!

Well I rode the wheel 1.5km to hospital e&a 😄 

Then I rode it in corridor on staff request as I  got discharged, the1.5km back to take pictures. Satirday and Sunday wete rest days. Since then I commuted to work and back jom 1.8km.

Today my first shopping yrip on my way home about 15km.

Yes I am riding asap to avoid stiffing up and to stay relaxed when riding. But I ride 5-10kmh lower speed for the moment.

I need to be ready and fully operationel for KS16X 😎

• Like 1

As thread  title suggest I had accidents before, so I am collecting my crash history here.

Since new people join forum every day. This link should make it easier to follow why I argue to consider your use of safety gear.

This crash is why I got my POC DH jacket. and that is what saved my shoulder this 2nd crash last Friday. 

Now do you chose to follow this link you will see some picture of blood gore and censored nudity.

But I can tell the accident belows link hurt much more than my shoulder incident last Friday.

Calling my spellchecker buddy @Smoother. (:clap3: thanks in advance )

Thanks to anyone posting encuragement so far, both this time and at my first accident last summer.

Let me just highlight a few here @Rehab1, you know your are always on my list, thanks buddy.

@PogArt Artur we post different things back and forth the past few days/week. I know that helped me back when I started 1 year ago. I hope I can aid you too. Your adventure is just starting right now. 

Note: When in hospital looking at my first x-ray last Friday, I texted my boss the x-ray with pretty much the text of the title below.

She always said that wheel is a deathtrap. Where I argue it makes me feel a live. The pain from injuries are reasurance I am not dead yet. Any she goes :efeee20b79:

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1