Crash history of Unventor

@Smoother faceplant is high force  impact. Similar to a car hitting a wal straight on. The twisting movement is to hit the head in the first place, secondary it to hopefully to go into s tumble so not all impact forst are dealt with in one blow or hit. I rather tumble as a ragdoll than hit the floor as a glass vase.

The intent worked, but I still high the ground hard. Today I am feeling the secondary effect. Stiffen body and pain as I try to move the limbs that hit the ground. The odd part not bruising show but internal pain is felt.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Similar to a car hitting a wal straight on

If you face plant into a wall, maybe, but a conventional face plant is nothing of the sort, and you should get to dissipate the impact via sliding.  PLUS you get to spread the force over the whole front of your body.  I've face planted 3 or 4 times and walked away pretty much unharmed every time. I'll take my results over yours any day.;)and I don't even wear a helmet!

Baseball players sometimes slide face first into base

Professional and keen amateur paintball player do this too.

I don't think they would do this stuff if they had to go to hospital every time. When I owned a paintball field, even some of the amateur kids (the regulars) would slide in when necessary.  In three years of ownership I didn't have one injury related to sliding in.  Had a few injuries from tripping over a tree root and sticking the landing, though.

HOWEVER, sliding is the key to dissipating the energy.  Notice how none of these guys "stuck the landing"  your safety gear should be biased towards sliding on hard surfaces.  Almost any inline skate gear is good enough as long as it has hard plastic outer surfaces that slide.  You never want to stick the landing.  Ask your shoulder about this last point.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well it feels better already. And I didn't even ice it yesterday.

As for my Albatros landing I am not sure how much I managed to tumble,  simply because the rotation force were so great. I think I blacked out just a second or too. Then I had to lay a little time to collect myself. Like 10-20 seconds. After 1 ot 2 min we rode towards the hospital about 1-1.5km away.

That was actually interesting sensation. I had a hard time getting up on the wheel since my hole left side was hanging and I couldn't move it much so catching balance stepping up was hard.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Unventor said:

Ohh btw the wheel is ok. It only got minor personality trademarks on the handle, a bit more on the pedal...

20190329_190030.thumb.jpg.b2309359584fdf404f66f32dc06d28cf.jpg

And my EUC bodyguard took a beating too. Sorry @The Fat Unicyclist 🙄

Most importantly, I'm glad that you are okay!   :)

But you are going to have to try a lot harder than that to trash your EUC Bodyguard.   ;)

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, Unventor said:

Today I went for a nice ride with @Jens Ronnedal and @Yffisch

At near the end just 2 km from home tops, we meet a skateboard rider doing his classes s moves. It is at a ][ section on the road. So we don't have as much room to maneuver. I am going first but all of a sudden I see the skayer do a S instead of s move. So my reacting is to steer clear of him. In doing so my pedals hit the curbs hard and I go down. I don't want to faceplant so my reaction is to twist my body ad much as possible so I  more or less land on shoulder sideways straight on.

Now I am waiting for x-ray pictures to be taken. But shoulder is dislocated.... 

More to follow.

Friday?

Last Friday?

Wow...

So sorry to hear that!

So unnecessary accident!

Get well asap!

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/30/2019 at 2:53 AM, Unventor said:

I am now out of hospital again. Shoulder is a bit sure but should be fine. I went back to the incident site and took a few pictures.

Ohh btw the nurse helping on with my gear asked how I planed to go home? By my EUC of course. It is only 800ish meters from hospital.

So once again I rode in the hospital corridors, requested nlby the nurse as she wanted to see how you ride. 4 other nurses stoped working watching jawdroped. 

Admitted i am a little unstable due to I really can't lift my shoulder much so it influence my balance a little.

Pictures incomming tomorrow. But today I loved myvpd-2-0-spine-jacket-front.jpg.3f5c170cd4520c2b8db8137741793333.jpg

Is this what you wear my friend?

I think I need it too - in case.

Could you recommend any brand?

I'm glad you doing well regarding your recovery.

17 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Is this what you wear my friend?

I think I need it too - in case.

Could you recommend any brand?

I'm glad you doing well regarding your recovery.

Yes in general I wear POC DH jacket this most of the time.

Should I buy something today I would probably go for the Xion protection jacket. Main reason is you can remove all 3do pads so it is easier to wash.

So I wear a running t-shirt then the POC jacket the eithe an over coat mc jacket (as I did when I crashed) or a rain jacket either a red or my reflective jacket. The rain jackets don't handel contact with tarmac though.

I wear normal troucers or demi jeans and then my mc pullover trouchers. And then mu demon flexmeter wrist guards and a helmet. Most of the this my mc hlemet but is it windy I tend to use my TSG Pass dh helmet as it causes less drag.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Yes in general I wear POC DH jacket this most of the time.

Should I buy something today I would probably go for the Xion protection jacket. Main reason is you can remove all 3do pads so it is easier to wash.

So I wear a running t-shirt then the POC jacket the eithe an over coat mc jacket (as I did when I crashed) or a rain jacket either a red or my reflective jacket. The rain jackets don't handel contact with tarmac though.

I wear normal troucers or demi jeans and then my mc pullover trouchers. And then mu demon flexmeter wrist guards and a helmet. Most of the this my mc hlemet but is it windy I tend to use my TSG Pass dh helmet as it causes less drag.

Thank you.

Regarding the bottom...

Normal trousers (jeans) and you put on knee protectors?

I'm not sure what the pullover trouchers are :)

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Btw @Marty Backe how are your shoulder healing up?

I think I got off fairly easy compared to you and @Rehab1.

It's getting much better. The last couple of weeks of rehab have really helped. Probably a couple of months before it's mostly back to normal. It'll probably never be 100-percent :(

Just now, PogArt Artur said:

Thank you.

Regarding the bottom...

Normal trousers (jeans) and you put on knee protectors?

I'm not sure what the pullover trouchers are :)

See my profile pitcure. These are black trousers that don't tear as easy on tarmac. They have hip and knee padding of 3DO. 3DO is a foarmy material that stiffens at impact but it is bendable at room/body temperature that is why you want it as close to body as possible.20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's getting much better. The last couple of weeks of rehab have really helped. Probably a couple of months before it's mostly back to normal. It'll probably never be 100-percent :(

Well we see how well I can train up my muscles again. I am anything but athletic these days. I kinda have gym fobia or rather I can't be bothered.

But this time I doubt I can do without. I hope you get back to former glory 😉

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ouch! I thought you were doing better than that :(

No... it was a bad fracture but I’m considered the surgeon’s prize patient because I can put on a coat with just a few facial grimaces. :huh::o:blink1:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

No... it was a bad fracture but I’m considered the surgeon’s prize patient because I can put on a coat with just a few facial grimaces. :huh::o:blink1:

:unsure: Sorry man. But at least you can put on the jacket :)

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
4 hours ago, Unventor said:

See my profile pitcure. These are black trousers that don't tear as easy on tarmac. They have hip and knee padding of 3DO. 3DO is a foarmy material that stiffens at impact but it is bendable at room/body temperature that is why you want it as close to body as possible.20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

Thanks for that info!

I wasn't sure what's 3DO stands for...

Honesty I'm very confused what to wear for the legs protection.

So many choices/options...

At some point I were thinking of standard jeans for example, and knees hard shell external protectors velcro striped...

But I don't like it to be as obvious...

So I'd prefer some CE pads inserted already into the trousers (as yours).

Now I think the 3DO protection pads could be the best choice for my preference.

Thank you!

You've got good looking stuff on you!  

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:unsure: Sorry man. But at least you can put on the jacket :)

You can’t?

Btw...did you receive your Leatt protective shoulder T yet? I bought their short sleeve body T. It fits great. I disbanded my other idea.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You can’t?

Btw...did you receive your Leatt protective shoulder T yet? I bought their short sleeve body T. It fits great. I disbanded my other idea.

Yeah, I can put the jacket on. My statement was more of a positive outlook on your situation - it could be worse if you couldn't put a coat on.

I should receive the shoulder t-shirt  in the next couple of days. I think the short sleeve body T that you bought shares the same DNA of the shoulder T I'm getting. Once I feel how this fits I'm probably going to get the body T also.

I just want to have choices based on the weather and riding that I'll do on any given day.

The Leatt stuff is really good!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I should receive the shoulder t-shirt  in the next couple of days. I think the short sleeve body T that you bought shares the same DNA of the shoulder T I'm getting. Once I feel how this fits I'm probably going to get the body T also.

So funny....We are only 180 degrees out of sink. I ordered the shoulder T after testing the fit of the body T.:cheers:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

So funny....We are only 180 degrees out of sink. I ordered the shoulder T after testing the fit of the body T.:cheers:

:D

Just finished a 2-hour ride with the Leatt 5.5 body armor. It's a great piece of gear, but you start feeling the bulk and weight after a couple of hours. I'm thinking the sweet spot will be the T-gear without all the hard plastic.

4 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

At some point I were thinking of standard jeans for example, and knees hard shell external protectors velcro striped...

But I don't like it to be as obvious...

You're riding a self balancing machine from the future. I'm afraid you have already played the "obvious" card.  As a consequence, NO ONE notices what you wear on your knees,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Smoother said:

You're riding a self balancing machine from the future. I'm afraid you have already played the "obvious" card.  As a consequence, NO ONE notices what you wear on your knees,

Lol... I haven't thought about that aspect, cheers for pointing out @Smoother.

I like the D3O body protector foam (self-hardening).

The jacket/pants aren't cheap, but I feel it's very reliable and it's giving great protection,not being bulky at the same time.

I think this is what I will consider for my protection gear.

Atm I'm just making my mind up, how to dress for commuting.

One of my co-workers bus drivers is passionate cyclist.

He dresses up fully like for racing,commuting daily,and he changing at the locker room...

Am I too lazy..? 

I think I wouldn't like to put as much efforts for commuting on EUC...

Just willing to dress in my company's uniform (t-shirt,trousers) the on too the protection EUC jacket,and the knee protectors over the company's trousers...

Obviously the helmet and wrist protectors too.

I bet I won't be going crazy fast :)

So I might be ok,just to put some basic protection gear...

The biggest confusion I've got regarding trousers.

I've had a motorbike crash in past,I badly did hurt the "bottom end", I couldn`t move without great pain for a while,and then I were hardly walking.

It took long time to heal.

Falling off the EUC will affect the legs area for sure.

This is why I'm just trying to judge wisely, how to dress up :)

Thanks @Smoother.