Wheel slightly off center

Hello folks. So I've been taking my new MSX out for a few rides a week ever since winter started trending away and the roads got more and more bare. I've had this wheel since November, just itching to start riding it. 

However, I noticed recently as I was adjusting my mudflap, that the wheel isn't perfectly centered. There's not a huge amount of clearance between the tyre and the part of the mudflap that slides onto the chassis. I could always just be hypervigilant, and my worries are unfounded, but I'd like to hear from any of you and what you think about it.

The "misalignment" is more or less not visible at all from the front end of the wheel. My biggest worry is that the wheel would be off balance and causing me to make bad standing habits while riding it.

IMG_20190325_140502.png

Edited by Issah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Issah said:

However, I noticed recently as I was adjusting my mudflap, that the wheel isn't perfectly centered.

I'd say the plastic casing is not perfectly centered - the main contruction is the pedals mounted on the L-shaped "?mounts?" which are attached to the motor axle.

So the plastic shell beeing a bit off is just "cosmetics", if it is not as much off to give a real difference on how far one could come towards the wheel with the feets...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine is like that too. I thought I caused it. :confused1:

I would not worry about learning bad standing habits just yet. You will learn those later when you get more comfortable with the wheel. :smartass:

As a beginner everything seems to make a difference. ( having everything balanced right to left and foot position) As you get better you can ride with your feet in almost any position as long as you are somewhat over all balance front to back. :thumbup:

I don’t see how the wheel being off such a small amount could even be noticeable. 

• Upvote 3

I've seen a few people mention their cases being off center to the wheel.  It seems to just be a gotway QC fit and finish issue, and if the wheel isn't rubbing the sides/insides of the shell I wouldn't worry about it.

Look at the pictures of the msx on ewheels.com, you can see that some of the photos show a wheel where there is less of a shell gap on one side than the other.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-msuper-x-msx-1600wh-battery-2000w-motor/

c3qgkwg.jpg

As for balancing, once you develop the fine motor control in your legs you will find that transitioning to other wheels is easier and other wheels may have different balance characteristics but because you've developed that fine motor control you can compensate for that different characteristic quickly.

For example:  my mcm4 is the 340wh version, there is also a 680wh version.  Mine has one battery pack, while the 680wh one has two.  As a result one side of my shell has nothing in it, while the other has a ~4lb(guess) battery pack.  So it should be weighted more to one side than the other.  Don't really notice it though and if I didn't have the trolley handle on and other visual indicators of the front or back of the wheel, I wouldn't be able to tell from ride feel which leg the battery pack was facing.  Tried flipping it around and if felt like it road the same either way. Also switch between my ACM2 and mcm4 with no issue other than being depressed about the slower speed of the mcm4.  

Other things like which leg you naturally favor, the way your feet point, or how much you bend your knees will have more impact on your ride form than that slight balance issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

I've seen a few people mention their cases being off center to the wheel.  It seems to just be a gotway QC fit and finish issue, and if the wheel isn't rubbing the sides/insides of the shell I wouldn't worry about it.

Look at the pictures of the msx on ewheels.com, you can see that some of the photos show a wheel where there is less of a shell gap on one side than the other.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-msuper-x-msx-1600wh-battery-2000w-motor/

As for balancing, once you develop the fine motor control in your legs you will find that transitioning to other wheels is easier and other wheels may have different balance characteristics but because you've developed that fine motor control you can compensate for that different characteristic quickly.

For example:  my mcm4 is the 340wh version, there is also a 680wh version.  Mine has one battery pack, while the 680wh one has two.  As a result one side of my shell has nothing in it, while the other has a ~4lb(guess) battery pack.  So it should be weighted more to one side than the other.  Don't really notice it though and if I didn't have the trolley handle on and other visual indicators of the front or back of the wheel, I wouldn't be able to tell from ride feel which leg the battery pack was facing.  Tried flipping it around and if felt like it road the same either way. Also switch between my ACM2 and mcm4 with no issue other than being depressed about the slower speed of the mcm4.  

Other things like which leg you naturally favor, the way your feet point, or how much you bend your knees will have more impact on your ride form than that slight balance issue.

Yea, I've seen this picture too, and thought the same. It's not like the pedals are exactly the same angles either. Hell, the right one don't even touch the shell folded up. I don't mind though, the damn thing rides like a dream.

• Upvote 1

My MSX tire has been off center since new, just like in the OPs photo. And originally my pedal angles were 13° and 15°. The pedal angles on that Ewheels photo look a lot smaller for some reason.