So it begins...first foray into EUC oddness

Planemo

28 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That's a great image, and great analogy. Of course once moving, not touching the seat or handlebars is easier to do.

I'm guessing 100% of our EUC riders can do this if they try it. The skill of mounting is directly translatable.

I'm always amazed when people learn to mount first and then actually succeed. The mounting part seemed impossible to me, and even after two years and plenty of one legged ridding I still often mess up mounting especially if I'm tired, on a hill, on grass, etc...

14 minutes ago, Planemo said:

think idling is actually pretty difficult.

This is the most beautiful idling I've ever seen. It is, honestly, art.

Go to 3:15

Ian certainly does know how to handle his wheels! That idling is beautiful as you say. We deffo need to work on that, be handy to not have to get off/on or grab a pole every time theres a short stop. Probably a good skill to have in busy areas/crossing roads etc?

Well we are all geared up for our first ride out in the big wide world tomorrow! I spent today fitting the handle, added a bit more air (from the 25psi that it came with up to 32.5) and stuck on some 6mm foam padding. I got the idea from a fellow EUC'er on here so thanks for that (cant remember your name sorry!). Got a 50cmx50cm sheet off the bay for £8 ish so I thought it might be an investment given we will probably try some hard surfaces tomorrow. We are heading to Maldon park if anyone knows it, we should be able to find grass/asphalt in large areas over there.

The worst thing about getting out together is that I think it will highlight our need for another wheel...it would be great to ride together. I need to start scrabbling round to see what I can sell to fund the Z that I still want!

Oh and seeing as I now have the Inmotion app working I also changed the rather loud and annoying 'Be Careful!' warning (when the wheel tips over) to a quieter Homer-esque 'Doh!'.

I am going to reduce the top speed limit later so Ashleigh can experience tilt back before she hits it at the normal 15mph. I tried it myself earlier - I was really surprised how gentle it was. I had images of being thrown off the back of it!

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I am going to reduce the top speed limit later so Ashleigh can experience tilt back before she hits it at the normal 15mph. I tried it myself earlier - I was really surprised how gentle it was. I had images of being thrown off the back of it!

Don't get complacent with tilt back.  In my experience (king Song) the fast you approach tilt back the faster it approaches you.  I have been knocked of by violent tilt back more than once, and had several "metaphorical" brown underpants moments also from violent tilt back. 

Also, keep that little battery topped up.  Get it to 100% before tomorrows ride as there will be three of you using it.  Be cautious and ride conservatively when the battery is below 50%.  The closer you are to 0% the easier it is to produce a voltage sag big enough to kill the motor and drop the rider like a sack of potatoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Don't get complacent with tilt back.  In my experience (king Song) the fast you approach tilt back the faster it approaches you.  I have been knocked of by violent tilt back more than once, and had several "metaphorical" brown underpants moments also from violent tilt back. 

Also, keep that little battery topped up.  Get it to 100% before tomorrows ride as there will be three of you using it.  Be cautious and ride conservatively when the battery is below 50%.  The closer you are to 0% the easier it is to produce a voltage sag big enough to kill the motor and drop the rider like a sack of potatoes.

Yes this is something that people should know before getting a wheel or using one near the top speed.

The top speed is just a spec, in reality you shouldn't ride at that speed or approach it too fast.

I learned this a bit late (how could I have known really) and now I've already outgrown the 14-18 mph limit in a very short time. I demand too much out of my wheel without even realizing it and in an ironic way it creates dangerous situations.

I'm definitely getting a 25-30 mph wheel next; not to ride at those speeds but to have that upper limit to use if I need burst speed or the leeway to climb at faster speeds. It seems like the speed you want/need to ride at should be 75% of what the top speed of your wheel is rated.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

Thanks. I have read so much about people having issues near and around tiltback I think I still have a healthy fear of it despite my earlier findings, not forgetting it was at such a low test speed. The most I have done on the wheel so far is 10.6mph and tbh that felt plenty quick enough! I am very mindful that the top speed is only 15mph and I don't plan on cruising at that on this wheel given the risks should we hit dips etc which requires an extra current surge to pull it through. I honestly dont know how people can be comfortable on a little euc at 30mph, my electric bike does 26 and that feels more than enough with two 26" wheels under me!

I also hear you on the tiny battery capacity. It seems to be lasting us ages between charges but of course we aren't doing any distance yet. I have never let it go lower than 2 bars so far and I think I will do the same from now on unless caught out. I also understand that demands from the wheel should reduce as the battery depletes, and I have explained this to the kids. I think its important that they have some grasp of how these things work. Sounds like a bit of a dull topic but they were quite receptive actually. Despite their ages giving them the usual invincibility cloaks, I get the impression that they have no desire to kiss the tarmac any more than I do.

All in all it does make you feel like you want a wheel with plenty in reserve at your comfortable cruising speed. I think my next one will allow say 20mph cruise but at the moment I dont see me having any need for great distance as I will nearly always be with family. I am even considering the Z6 for this reason, a 10 will just be far more than I will ever need, and if I do I will just use the electric bike which gives me around 60 miles. I will never sell the V5 though, it just seems to be such a good learning/young persons wheel. I am glad the forumites steered me to it rather than the E+ I was going to get, I think that even the kids would have found the speed/distance limitations a problem in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Thanks. I have read so much about people having issues near and around tiltback I think I still have a healthy fear of it despite my earlier findings, not forgetting it was at such a low test speed. The most I have done on the wheel so far is 10.6mph and tbh that felt plenty quick enough! I am very mindful that the top speed is only 15mph and I don't plan on cruising at that on this wheel given the risks should we hit dips etc which requires an extra current surge to pull it through. I honestly dont know how people can be comfortable on a little euc at 30mph, my electric bike does 26 and that feels more than enough with two 26" wheels under me!

I also hear you on the tiny battery capacity. It seems to be lasting us ages between charges but of course we aren't doing any distance yet. I have never let it go lower than 2 bars so far and I think I will do the same from now on unless caught out. I also understand that demands from the wheel should reduce as the battery depletes, and I have explained this to the kids. I think its important that they have some grasp of how these things work. Sounds like a bit of a dull topic but they were quite receptive actually. Despite their ages giving them the usual invincibility cloaks, I get the impression that they have no desire to kiss the tarmac any more than I do.

All in all it does make you feel like you want a wheel with plenty in reserve at your comfortable cruising speed. I think my next one will allow say 20mph cruise but at the moment I dont see me having any need for great distance as I will nearly always be with family. I am even considering the Z6 for this reason, a 10 will just be far more than I will ever need, and if I do I will just use the electric bike which gives me around 60 miles. I will never sell the V5 though, it just seems to be such a good learning/young persons wheel. I am glad the forumites steered me to it rather than the E+ I was going to get, I think that even the kids would have found the speed/distance limitations a problem in the near future.

Well for some people (maybe most) it becomes kind of addictive and you almost get desensitized to the speed.

Cruising at 10-12 mph is fun, getting to 16-18 mph is thrilling (start to feel the adrenaline), I was able to try out an mten3 for a bit and getting up to 22-24 mph was WOW....I got addicted to going that fast and had to temper my urge to speed. It's like the difference between riding the little kids choo choo train roller coaster and getting on a full speed maglev roller coaster, it's a whole other tier of fun and you want to keep experiencing it even though you probably shouldn't on an EUC lol.

Edited by tenofnine

Your family reports are adorable:efee47c9c8:

She's pretty good already! And obviously has the "correct" attitude towards EUCs, ride til it drops (from low battery).

I'm serious, she needs a big battery wheel (and so do you, 1600Wh or bust)! Don't skimp on your kids and EUCs at the same time! No mo' half measures. If the 16X was out already, I'd say buy two three, but for now how about a nice 18XL followed by the 16X when it's released? This sounds like a joke until you realize it's the only rational course of action.

Or maybe you can find some nice used ~1000Wh wheels like a 16S or Tesla. Or maybe the cheap V10 offer is still available, just buy two, one for each kid:efefe00999:  1000Wh have at least the same range for your kids like a 1600Wh wheels has for you, so it makes sense to get a 1600Wh and two 1000Wh wheels (for example).

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Cheers meep

I only wish I could just click a few buttons and get 3 new wheels! But the fact is that I had to scrimp to fund the V5F, getting anything approaching 1000wh is going to be a struggle to say the least. Shame really, but we just have to work with what we have got. I am grateful just to be out with Ashleigh (I dont tend to do as much with her as I do with my son) and see her so happy. Yes it would be nice to ride with her but we have much to be thankful for and after all, EUCs are ultimately trinkets tbh. When I start thinking we are hard done by, I always look at those more unfortunate than us. Some kids dont even have legs with which to ride an EUC. Focuses the mind a little.

I will still keep my eye on something used, I think anything new is out of the question unfortunately. In the meantime, I really need to crack on with practising right turns. Left is fine, I just cant believe how much more I am struggling with going right!

10 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Cheers meep

I only wish I could just click a few buttons and get 3 new wheels! But the fact is that I had to scrimp to fund the V5F, getting anything approaching 1000wh is going to be a struggle to say the least. Shame really, but we just have to work with what we have got. I am grateful just to be out with Ashleigh (I dont tend to do as much with her as I do with my son) and see her so happy. Yes it would be nice to ride with her but we have much to be thankful for and after all, EUCs are ultimately trinkets tbh. When I start thinking we are hard done by, I always look at those more unfortunate than us. Some kids dont even have legs with which to ride an EUC. Focuses the mind a little.

I will still keep my eye on something used, I think anything new is out of the question unfortunately. In the meantime, I really need to crack on with practising right turns. Left is fine, I just cant believe how much more I am struggling with going right!

You just have to commit when turning, it's like a trust fall. The V5F is really great at keeping up with any sudden weight shifts, so it will always have your back. Just lean into it like your body is a joystick and trust the wheel, you just have to worry about pivoting the wheel and that's it.

Edited by tenofnine

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I am grateful just to be out with Ashleigh (I dont tend to do as much with her as I do with my son) and see her so happy.

That right there is a fantastic result. 

As for the finances.  We each have our own boat to row.  Married with children brings a whole different set of responsibilities and priorities to those faced by us single types.  And of course this forum isn't income based, so we have multimillionaires (probably) sharing space with mulit-penny-aires. But we all share the same passion for this crazy hobby /commuter thingy. whether it's one budget wheel or a stable full of the latest and greatest.

I for one, cannot justify the cost of another wheel, either.  Fortunately, my KS16S does enough for MY needs (currently :ph34r:)

Very true my friend. I used to be considerably better off in my 20's, fast cars, fast bikes and nothing to think about other than where my next beer was coming from. But like you say, kids (and the priorities they require) are all encompassing, and thats without mine having any special needs (read: cost) unlike some. It is what it is.

I was looking at the Z6 deal on gearbest yesterday which I thought was pretty good - £693 but it does have a slightly lowish 530wh. I was tempted but it seems the deal has dissappeared already so maybe it was meant to be. I would love a KS16S but they are still a lot of money and theres no deals anywhere at the moment. Still, with 840wh on tap I think it would do me for a while, especially with the kids on only 320wh. One day hopefully.

Tenofnine: thanks for your input. You are right, I do need to commit and probably think less than I am. Going left just seemed to come naturally and whilst doing it I am not really thinking about it. Going right is a whole different ballgame. I have even tried copying (mirror image) my left hand posture etc but its just not feeling good at all when going right. Maybe I just need to lean and let the wheel sort itself out. Like you say, it is indeed very agile and has far more torque than I imagined it would. I will keep at it.

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Tenofnine: thanks for your input. You are right, I do need to commit and probably think less than I am. Going left just seemed to come naturally and whilst doing it I am not really thinking about it. Going right is a whole different ballgame. I have even tried copying (mirror image) my left hand posture etc but its just not feeling good at all when going right. Maybe I just need to lean and let the wheel sort itself out. Like you say, it is indeed very agile and has far more torque than I imagined it would. I will keep at it.

Most of us have a strong leg bias.  My left turns are still not as natural as my rights (I'm left footed)

18 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yea it  was weird for me, initially turning left was super easy, then somehow overnight it flip flopped. Then both became natural.

One thing that helped me learn turning in no time was putting my hands behind my back. Sounds scary, but your hands and arms aren't necessary for any type of movement you want to accomplish on a wheel. Most of the time suddenly flailing your arms about or swimming though the air just makes your balance worse and they are both crutches and distractions simultaneously. It's all in your torso, hips, legs, and feet. You can also just look in the direction you want to go and then make your body naturally follow, really though where your torso and shoulders are aimed the wheel will follow.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Upvote 1

@tenofnine you know what, I am going to try the hands behind the back thing. That might help, as at the moment I am finding that my right arm is 'doing circles' vertically in a sub conscious effort to try and stay balanced. If I lock out that movement, it may force my body to learn what is needed to make the right turn.

@Olav I have been checking in on Speedys used pages regularly for some time now. I do find they are generally pretty pricy though. Not that I am saying they are priced badly, I know Ian offers warranties and good service which for some people is essential.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

@tenofnine you know what, I am going to try the hands behind the back thing. That might help, as at the moment I am finding that my right arm is 'doing circles' vertically in a sub conscious effort to try and stay balanced. If I lock out that movement, it may force my body to learn what is needed to make the right turn.

I do this too, but I wouldn't rush it.  You need to be very comfortable riding "zombie style" (arms down by side, motionless).  Once you can do that, then you can try putting your hands behind your back.  But....don't clasp them tightly, you still need them to spring forward, if something takes you by surprise, and every fraction of a second counts, especially as you have extended the distance from where they are to where you might need them.

EDIT Oh, and lastly, I think it adds to the cool factor.  People wondering how the hell you do that should be (haven't taken any polls) even more astonished that you have your hands gently clasped behind your back, like "what this old thing? pshaw!, tis nothing but ye old magic" (I don't know why I went all Shakespearean there)

Edited by Smoother

• 2 weeks later...

Well the kids and I never got to the park last weekend as rain stopped play (boos from all) but the good news is that I have a new wheel! Dont shoot me as its only a lowly Z6 instead of the 10 but it was all I could stretch to. This is actually Ju Readers old wheel which was sold to Dane for a good price (less than advertised) a few months ago with around 300 miles on it. Dane put about 40 miles on it but needed some money and he agreed an excellent price with me. Dane lost quite a bit of money unfortunately but I got a result. Many thanks Dane! So I finally ended up with a Z like I always wanted :)

So now I can ride with the kids and it will be much better for us to swop around on two wheels rather than one. Very happy chappy!

I will be wrapping the wheel in 3M carbon, not only because the Z6 has flat black side panels (unlike the Z10's carbon), but it will also cover the blemishes/scratches. I may do the pedals as well despite them being likely to scratch up again. We will see.

Observations on first 10 mins of getting on the Z.. has much less torque off the line than the V5F. However, far more stable at low speed on bumpy grass, I can be stable on it with the wheel barely moving! Very different to the V5. Impressed with the overall comfort of the Z, the whole experience just seems a bit more relaxed. Footplates are more comfortable too. Low speed turning no problem. I have yet to experience the high speed 'hang off it knee down' method..

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

NICE! You went from 0 to Z6 in record time.

Yea you notice the torque and responsiveness difference when you use anything other than a 14 inch wheel or an inmotion. If 16-18 inch wheels had the same behavior as the V5F I for sure would have bought an MSX or a KS18XL by now. The V5/V5F somehow feels like it's weightless when you ride it even though it weighs 26 pounds, compared to any other wheel it feels like an extension of your body. But of course you feel almost every big bump and the pedals are a bit small for long riding.

I love the z6/z10 design, it's probably the best looking wheel on the market right now. They took the SoloWheel Xtreme aesthetic and BATMAN'ed it. I just wish it wasn't so damn heavy.

Edited by tenofnine

Yes I hadn't really been looking to get another wheel so quickly, but I couldn't pass up on the price. Plus theres not an awful lot of Z's here in the UK, and importing one carries the usual battery sleep issues, not to mention another long wait. They are still expensive new as well. I did see some Z6's on Gearbest a few weeks back for $695 which was a good price but it's disappeared now, they are back to £945!!! Yes UK sterling not USD either!

Having a (small) ride on the Z has really shown me how powerful the V5F actually is (at least up to it's relatively low top speed). I was quite surprised, I imagined the Z would be as peppy but it's definitely not. The V5 is also as responsive in terms of tilt input as well. All in all, it has reassured me that the V5 is actually a very good, well built and designed wheel. For £350 new I really don't think there is a better option out there.

I kind of get what you are saying re the V5 feeling like a part of you, but my initial impressions are that the Z is actually better on that front. The Z feels far more planted, and although it doesn't respond to inputs like the V5, I always feel like the V5 is jumping itself around under me (at least on grass) whereas the Z just tanks through with far less drama. Because of that, I sorta feel the Z is more a part of me than the skittish V5 which does it's own thing when faced with surface irregularities. If that makes sense!