MCM5: A new riders first 123k

This wheel has been great. Upon unboxing it feels substantial. The handle gap is ugly, but it functions 100%. Panel gap is definitely there, but really only a nails width. After 50 miles learning, I have yet to run the battery (800wh) down in a single session, or hit current limit. It is so nimble, which is a gift where I'm confident, and a curse where I'm not. It bounced three feet in the air in one fall, but aside from scratched plastic nothing has broken. I was worried it would not be tough enough, but it has been so far.

Thiswheel is pretty quiet. Quiet enough to shop, and folks who don't look never notice the wheel. Feel much better not waking up the neighbors after a night session, and I bet they do too. This quietness sold me over a Kingsong 18s.

The first week was so painful. I couldn't even stand on the thing for 3 days, and then I started getting knee pain from squeezing too hard constantly. It has gotten much better with practice and conditioning. After about 100km I started taking the pads off, and they've been off the past week. After conditioning it's more comfy without the pads. The bald spot on my calf is starting to regrow hair as well.

At 123k now, no pads on the wheel, wrist guards and a helmet always, plus knee and elbow pads if I'll be going anywhere new, or any faster than jogging speed. Every ride the wheel feels more stable, and the gliding is much more "thoughtless" and automatic. I've managed to hit double beeps going up a steep hill, battery at 40%, and constant beeping up that same hill at 26%, but slow and steady got me home safe. My impression is that battery sag is an issue below 50%, and below 30 I'll probably try to charge up, but small rolling hills were not an issue, even on low battery.

I rode in the rain today. There were puddles deeper than the pedals a few times. I took an umbrella, but one strong gust of wind ended that idea. It was really pouring, but no ill effects at all. Pants were wet all over, but didn't appear dirty afterwards.

This wheel always feels powerful. Even beeping itself to death, it never felt felt like it was about to give way. Suburban roads and 15mph bike paths are bliss, broken sidewalk requires attention, mud and wet metal scare the bejeezus out of me. Ice was easier to ride than mud, so was freezing rain. Much more planted than a bicycle in the snow and ice. I was a little worried that 14" would not be big enough, but it's been a hoot. The MCM5 can be a beginners wheel, it has for me!

Generally I wouldn't recommend the MCM5 as somebody's first wheel due to it's extreme nimbleness, but it's great to hear a positive story where it worked out fine.

I still think some wheels are better than other for learning, but after reading this and other similar stories, I know that people can learn on any wheel.

Glad you like the MCM5 :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Done another 100km, and I'm still so happy! Riding the Metrorail in DC (Washington DC) is great, just ride up to the station, handle out, and was straight into the train. Very convenient. Quietness is a definite plus!

One of the reasons I got this wheel was to try to keep the speed down. This wheel encourages me to go slow and precise, especially when there's an imperfect surface. I've noticed my average speed has crept up to 25km/h most times I look. I go twice as fast on the pavement as the sidewalk.

I'm getting the occasional speed beep when the battery is low, especially on steep hills, but with a full battery it just goes everywhere with authority.

I keep the tire right at 40psi, with 2 oz. Slime. The tire is definitely deforming on sharp bumps. It feel like it is going to snakebite, but so far so good. The tire seems broken in now, a little bit more flexible, and much grippier. New felt a little plastic, but now it feels like grippier rubber.

I was starting to get bad knee pain, like swollen joints which I thought would train out, but seemed to be getting worse. One random night, I stepped on about 1/2 inch back from normal, and the pain was instantly gone. Has not returned unless I stand forward, seems like it's healing. As I've gotten comfortable I keep moving my toes back farther. To far makes me wobble, but the father back my feet are, the more my shins can angle forward. Over tougher ground, this position feels like more of a workout, in exchange for a softer suspension feeling. With the small wheel, this has been the best way to track the ground and keep going.

15 hours ago, Phunny said:

As I've gotten comfortable I keep moving my toes back farther. To far makes me wobble, but the father back my feet are, the more my shins can angle forward.

If angling your shins forward reduces your knee pain, have you thought about changing the angles of your pedals?  Maybe a few degrees tilted forward would give you this desired effect without the  wobbles associated with standing too far back.

Archived