Wheel Wobble

RowCutter

Hi guys, really new to EUC riding.  Seem to have found my balance and have done a few 30 minutes runs now.  One issue I have is that my Ninebot C+ seems to wobble, left/right when riding in a straight line.  I have calibrated the wheel so upright roll and pitch seem about zero when stationary.  If I change speed either faster or slower but usually slower then the wobble reduces and smooths out.

Is this just my lack of experience so down to my skill or is this just a typical EUC characteristic.

Only thing I haven't played with is the ride? I think this is if the wheel turns one way or the other, currently it is set on 3.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

As Fuzzypixel said, it’s not being relaxed enough. It will get better with time.  Also, during very hard braking, it can happen, even after you are relaxed.

The other thing you mentioned, “Ride” is actually how firm the pedals are when you lean.  Starting on a setting of 3 should be a good starting point.

On 1, the pedals will stay very flat to the ground when you lean forward and backwards. On 9, the pedals will lean way forward and backwards when you lean forwards and backwards.  On 9, it can be hard to control, and likewise, on 1, if you aren’t used to it, it may feel hard to control.  I preferred 1 on my NineBot, but 3 is sort of an average for a lot of wheels.   

They should have called it Firm and Soft. 

You know, I keep hearing this "not relaxed" argument over and over, and no disrespect  @SuperSport (haven't seen you post in a while) I don't buy it.  I can be riding along just fine on a smooth surface, and then the wheel encounters a disturbance, all of a sudden I have a wobble, yet I have not changed my state of relaxation.  And if  relaxation was the key, then how come some people say it's because your legs are too tired?  Too tired? relaxed? what's the difference? They both can't be right.

I think @LanghamP hit the nail on the head over a year ago, with the following post.  Essentially, our wobbles are the equivalent of a motorcycle tank slapper, only we have no tank to slap.  In the video posted just after this post, the rider ( skip to the end) cannot physically control his "wobble" despite having about 2 feet of leverage via the handle bars, and almost wipes out at over 100mph.

Welcome @RowCutter . Can you be a bit more specific about your location; it helps people meet up if they know who's wheeling nearby.

Edited by Smoother

53 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You know, I keep hearing this "not relaxed" argument over and over, and no disrespect  @SuperSport (haven't seen you post in a while) I don't buy it.  I can be riding along just fine on a smooth surface, and then the wheel encounters a disturbance, all of a sudden I have a wobble, yet I have not changed my state of relaxation.  And if  relaxation was the key, then how come some people say it's because your legs are too tired?  Too tired? relaxed? what's the difference? They both can't be right.

I think @LanghamP hit the nail on the head over a year ago, with the following post.  Essentially, our wobbles are the equivalent of a motorcycle tank slapper, only we have no tank to slap.  In the video posted just after this post, the rider ( skip to the end) cannot physically control his "wobble" despite having about 2 feet of leverage via the handle bars, and almost wipes out at over 100mph.

Welcome @RowCutter . Can you be a bit more specific about your location; it helps people meet up if they know who's wheeling nearby.

No disrespect taken. ;)  Yes, Relaxed is probably over simplifying it.   It's a combo of things.  For one, the tire is likely not perfectly balanced or round, so it has a tendency to wobble by design.  If you are very tense, then it tends to allow the wobble to get worse and worse.  And, likewise, if you are too relaxed, as when you are super tired, it also happens.  There's a happy medium.

I have personally had the "Death Wobble", as it's called, on a motorcycle.  It's a SUPER scary situation, especially if you are going fast.  Again, you have to relax a little bit when it happens on a bike.  If you stiffen up, it actually gets worse.  You have to find that happy medium of how much pressure to add to the steering, the perfect brake pressure, and the perfect amount of coasting.  Otherwise, it can end very bad.  The same goes for the EUC.

In time, you become more comfortable on the wheel, and you start to sense when things are going wrong.  With more experience and being more relaxed, you tend to make better decisions and better inputs to correct the problem.  I STILL get the wobble on my MSuper, but it's never taken me out yet.  It happens most often when I'm tired (40 mile+ rides), but also when trying to brake really hard.  It also happens when I lean forward over the front on my wheel, like when trying to turn on the headlight while traveling.  I believe that's because my legs have stiffened up too much in the wrong direction and it starts to wobble.

Thanks for your input and for clarifying it better.  It is much more than just relaxing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I can be riding along just fine on a smooth surface, and then the wheel encounters a disturbance, all of a sudden I have a wobble, yet I have not changed my state of relaxation.

Just being relaxed doesn't magically solve any wobble, no matter how bad. The wheel is wobbling, after all. But being relaxed allows you to automatically dampen away wobbling that would amplify and crash you otherwise.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

And if  relaxation was the key, then how come some people say it's because your legs are too tired?  Too tired? relaxed? what's the difference? They both can't be right.

Tired legs aren't relaxed, tired legs are tense. Tense legs and you get wobbles. Whether tense from being tired, or cramping because of a sudden wind burst, or because of sitting down (I always get wobbles if I try to sit on the wheel). I think it's because your legs react too slowly to dampen away the wobbling when tense, and you end up with chaotic balance of the wheel.

I have noticed this as well on my Ninebot E+ compared to my V5F, I think it having a thin tire and high CoG causes this.

2 things to try to confirm you don't just have a wrongly seated tire -

1 - Lower your PSI, this can kill any wobbles and give you a more stable ride (remember this is one of the thinnest EUC tires 1.75)

2 - Crosswinds and any asymmetric drag on your body can cause balance and wobble issues. Make sure you don't have some clothing, headgear, or a backpack that it isn't catching extra air resistance in a weird way

32 minutes ago, pico said:

The V5F has a higher CG. Batteries are on the top. 

Again I'm not going to argue with you, you seem to think you are right on everything.

The NB1 weighs more as well, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think that doesn't affect  how fast the wheel falls to gravity on account of wobbles and adjustments.

37 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

you'd have to be pretty ignorant

Thanks Mr Savant. Refer to the thread:

"So it begins...first foray into EUC oddness"

Edited by pico
corr

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.  With more practice I am coping better. I don't think wobble is less frequent I'm just improving how I handle it.  Reducing tire pressure sounds like a good idea, will give it ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RowCutter said:

Reducing tire pressure sounds like a good idea, will give it ago.

Mine was a bit too squishy the other day so I pumped it up to around 50psi.  BIG MISTAKE!. On my first real acceleration a pronounced weave ( a lazy wobble) ensued.  Needless to say, I took the first opportunity to let some air out.  Had to do it twice before I was happy.  I think it's almost back where I started :facepalm:

Edited by Smoother

• 1 year later...