Jump to content
Alien Rides

EUC Crash @ 40 MPH (Was: Please wear safety gear)

Recommended Posts

Wow!!!   :facepalm:

Thanks for sharing that sphincter-tightening moment... Though you do realise that I now need to pad up with an extra layer going to work tomorrow.   ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Though you do realise that I now need to pad up with an extra layer going to work tomorrow.   ;)

I think it's definitely situational, I'm probably never going to wear full gear when I ride to work, but if I'm going to smash at top speed, I definitely want to be protected. (But I would never discourage folks from gearing up all the time!)

 

14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks for sharing that sphincter-tightening moment...

Perhaps this is better than the opposite? Again, situational I suppose đŸ€”

 

Edited by Alien Rides
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alien Rides said:

Perhaps this is better than the opposite? Again, situational I suppose đŸ€”

OMG... That has to be the best response EVER!!!

I am literally going to laugh all the way to work thinking about this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the back of this

 

do we know what he was wearing or if anyone can give some good reccomendations for moto helms that are light weight comfortable, breathe well etc.. also in the market for some solid elbow and knee ( cant quite see what that kid was wearing on knee but would love to know! )

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

I don'tï»ż see a thread about safety gear on the first page, which means we're longï»ż overdue for ï»żone 😅

That's because we have a separate safety gear subforum 😁

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

.... were i move this topic, too ...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tothjm said:

on the back of this

 

do we know what he was wearing or if anyone can give some good reccomendations for moto helms that are light weight comfortable, breathe well etc.. also in the market for some solid elbow and knee ( cant quite see what that kid was wearing on knee but would love to know! )

He appeared dressed for trouble, except for the wheel. Presumably if one were to go poking a stick at an anthill one would ride a crash worthy wheel, or at least pad it up. Padding likely wouldn't have worked on the pedal hanger being bent, though.

That was a motorcycle sport bike helmet, with a DOT rating and an EPS chin bar. You need that chin bar, as you saw that helmet took a hard hit on the chin bar.

$50.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing this video! Crash videos are invaluable sources of information for do's and don'ts. I have been riding for 1 year and have 3,000 miles already (on many different wheels)!!! I've never fallen and I am deathly paranoid and afraid of my future first fall. I noticed in the video that the rider is wearing boots. I have tried to ride in boots, however I couldn't get any sense of feed back from my wheel so I wear minimalist running shoes with super thin soles now.

Also I wear a wrist GPS and constantly monitor my speed as Gotway tilt-back is quite gentle and since you have to push hard on Gotways anyways its easy to misinterpret tilt-back for general high-speed resistance. Down-hill on my 100V Monster I had tilt-back set to 48KPH but I was able to ride up to 55KPH without detecting tilt-back. Had it not been for my GPS, I don't know when I would have slowed down, since that Monster is deceivingly smooth at high speed. 

Another thing: MSX beeps are very faint with wind-rush and full-face helmet at 30MPH.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Michael Hernandez said:

Thanks for sharing this video! Crash videos are invaluable sources of information for do's and don'ts. I have been riding for 1 year and have 3,000 miles already (on many different wheels)!!! I've never fallen and I am deathly paranoid and afraid of my future first fall. I noticed in the video that the rider is wearing boots. I have tried to ride in boots, however I couldn't get any sense of feed back from my wheel so I wear minimalist running shoes with super thin soles now.

Also I wear a wrist GPS and constantly monitor my speed as Gotway tilt-back is quite gentle and since you have to push hard on Gotways anyways its easy to misinterpret tilt-back for general high-speed resistance. Down-hill on my 100V Monster I had tilt-back set to 48KPH but I was able to ride up to 55KPH without detecting tilt-back. Had it not been for my GPS, I don't know when I would have slowed down, since that Monster is deceivingly smooth at high speed. 

Another thing: MSX beeps are very faint with wind-rush and full-face helmet at 30MPH.

+1 for the minimalist shoes. I can’t even ride a wheel in thick heavy boots lol. I have no proprioception and my posture is all messed up if the shoe isn’t completely flat/ zero drop.

I can hear the MSX beeps quite easily at 33mph with a thick wool hat on however. Don’t know why people can’t hear the beeps even with the wind resistance noise I can always hear it. There are times I think I can’t hear it but that’s because it hasn’t been triggered yet because I wasn’t going fast enough lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

+1 for the minimalist shoes. I can’t even ride a wheel in thick heavy boots lol. I have no proprioception and my posture is all messed up if the shoe isn’t completely flat/ zero drop.

I can hear the MSX beeps quite easily at 33mph with a thick wool hat on however. Don’t know why people can’t hear the beeps even with the wind resistance noise I can always hear it. There are times I think I can’t hear it but that’s because it hasn’t been triggered yet because I wasn’t going fast enough lol.

:shock2: 33 with just a wool hat! :shock2: 

Maybe I can't hear the beeps over my heart pounding at 33 (looking like the sporting goods sale section of Walmart with every type of protective gear made).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 10:51 AM, Michael Hernandez said:

I noticed in the video that the rider is wearing boots. I have tried to ride in boots, however I couldn't get any sense of feed back from my wheel so I wear minimalist running shoes with super thin soles now.ï»ż

He is wearing composite-toe boots specifically to minimize big toe injuries, which are very common in higher-speed EUC crashes. Your big toe tends to impact or drag along the ground... not good. He sustained injury to his big toe but it would have been much, much worse without a hard-toe shoe.

I started wearing hard-toe shoes after losing a big toenail after a comparatively minor crash last March where I really smashed my right big toe. (It has almost, but not completely, grown back one full year later.) I also don't like the feel of big clunky boots when I ride, I would recommend lower-profile, athletic-style hard-toe work shoes like those from Skechers or Timberland Pro. I wear Timberland Pro Powertrains but the Drivetrains are even slimmer and may be my next shoe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, who_the said:

I would recommend lower-profile, athletic-style hard-toe work shoes like those from Skechers or Timberland Pro. I wear Timberland Pro Powertrains but the Drivetrains are even slimmer and may be my next shoe. 

Are you not concerned about your ankles? They do tend to stick out a bit. And a damaged ankle would affect your quality of life for weeks or months, or even years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m glad he is ok! So it was definately a cut out from pushing the limits? I keep rewinding the video looking for the first trace of instability. 

Yeah, definitely a cutout from going past the limits of the wheel. There is a 360 degree view in the video and you can see a slight dip of the wheel during that dip. If you have lightning fast reflexes and aren't leaning forward when this happens you can occasionally save yourself, but it's pretty much impossible when accelerating at that speed.

Awesome looking body armor btw, I need to get some.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gonna repost this question here, in case people dont see it on the video thread. I didnt realize that this had its own thread until just now. I'll leave it over there, just in case though.

 

"Wow, so glad your buddy was able to bounce back up and with minimal injury! Hows his head? Even though he had that helmet, he still made contact so that was a bump. Hope hes all good!

On that topic, I wanted to ask a question about safety and top speeds. I always hear people talking about 80% battery alarms and weight and so on. I'm riding the ks16s, and I just finally was able to hit 31kmph (19.26mph) today, and I know the wheels top riding speed is listed at 35kmph. So at my weight of 226lbs (without gear), is there a limit I need to stay under or do i need to change my riding style when i hit a certain battery level before the wheel goes nuts? I know kingsong doesnt let you turn off all the beeps or the tiltback (well, im not sure about the beeps, but tiltback is always on). So do I have to just...wait and see? I know some people around my weight who cruise at 35kmph, but is there just a window for it? Im trying to ride in a way that doesnt lead to the wheel pouring my soul into the cement. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Are you not concerned about your ankles? They do tend to stick out a bit. And a damaged ankle would affect your quality of life for weeks or months, or even years.

Agreed, and yes for sure, I like my ankles intact and upright. :) But I've seen no evidence high-top shoes or boots offer additional protection for sprains or breaks, and have instead read several studies that determined they don't offer any additional protection compared to low-tops.

Having said all that, I also have a high-top version of the Timberlands, which are waterproof and also very comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Why wouldï»ż you put anythï»żing over ï»żit

Maybe he was once a football player; old habits dying hard and all that rubbish :laughbounce2:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, who_the said:

Agreed, and yes for sure, I like my ankles intact and upright. :) But I've seen no evidence high-top shoes or boots offer additional protection for sprains or breaks, and have instead read several studies that determined they don't offer any additional protection compared to low-tops.

Having said all that, I also have a high-top version of the Timberlands, which are waterproof and also very comfortable.

Although I would have found them more valuable when I was learning to ride, I have seen ankle pads advertised on Amazon designed to cover the protruding portions of the ankle bone with a gel-filled pad. These could feasibly reduce injury. I should have posted a photo of what I saw, but I am feeling too lazy at the moment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, Alien Rides said:

I don't see a thread about safety gear on the first page, which means we're long overdue for one 😅

During our last  group ride we had a EUC cut-out at 40mph. Luckily due to a good selection of safety gear the rider was able to walk away from this one. Please gear up well when riding, it sucks seeing a friend go down.

 

 

 

Thank goodnes he was geared up. :efefc8626c: 

God Bless you Kingsong.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×