What is the best backpack ?

On 6/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, Planemo said:

Thanks for the great review! As you say, it does indeed have a big gap there, that would really annoy me. I like packs to be tight and low profile, this does look quite 'floppy' and baggy.

It's not that floppy when it locks into place properly, but it can take a few tries to get it to do so. And if you look at that paracord holding it in place and the friction involved every time you pull it back in place, especially when loaded with some weight, I personally wouldn't trust its longevity... 

I've asked to return it and while they have agreed, their response times are extremely slow. 2 weeks and I'm still waiting to receive the prepaid return/postage label... 

I ended up going for the Thule Accent 23L. It's well built, not ridiculously overpriced, good size for everyday use, has a quick access pocket I can get to without taking the backpack off, a hard shell compartment on top that I'll use for my Insta/GoPro, and  the lack of a ton of internal pockets (there are a few) can easily be made up for with a cheap tech organizer (I use this one, which can be easily slid in and out of the backpack to grab stuff). The only drawback is that it isn't fully water resistant, but I live in Spain, I'll just throw a rain cover on for the 3 days a year when it does rain 😂

On 6/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Unventor said:

@travsformation I use a Vaude Alpin backpack these days. They have a new look this year and I don't recall if it is a 32+5L or 25+5L

Thanks for the recommendation! Should have looked into it more thoroughly before buying a backpack, this looks sweet (especially the carrying the weight on your hips). But I'm pretty fussy about pack distribution and the Thule is pretty close to my liking. My ideal would have been the Boundary Supply Errant if only the concept had a little more capacity and had been a little better executed (external pockets taking upinternal space, rigid material that doesn't expand... A lot of great concepts but they don't seem to work well together or blend into a coherent whole). And, well, the price... If I added the (non-included) phone pouch on the shoulder strap + the hip straps (which have pockets), the price shot up to 278€, which honestly, is not something I'd be willing to pay for a backpack... 

The lesson I take from this is... YouTube never ceases to me surprise me! The number of channels devoted exclusively to backpack reviews... 😲😱🤣

Not too sure about what that says about our global culture...we're a bit too consumption oriented/obsessed? Well, what can you do about it... God knows how many hours of my life I wasted  watching backpack reviews so I'm hardly the right person to criticize... 😅😂

Edited by travsformation

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:35 PM, Tryptych said:

This thing haunted me in my sleep and taunted me endlessly during daylight hours.

I broke down and ordered it.

Now I need a 2nd mortgage.

How do you like it?

I've really like my knockoff version of the Ogio backpack.  Minus the branding it is identical to a Ogio Mach 3.  It might come from the same factory.  It has lots for room, water tight, and no exposed loops to get caught on tree branches.   I would not call it a "Hard Shell".  It doen't offer any back protection. in a crash the shell will collapse. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K42G3R5

• Like 1

I ordered an Aer city sling based on Chooch's recommendation and after reading PackHacker's and Nomad's Nation review.  Looks to be perfect for an EDC on an EUC.

I'm still looking for a larger backpack.  That knockoff Ogio looks like a good deal.

I tend to think of my backpack as my emergency recovery if something goes tits-up, meaning I can strap it on and walk out if there.

Picked up one of these from AliExpress:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0V9M1v

It's been great so far and it can carry a shed-load of other gear too e.g. camelbak, pump waterproofs etc.

Edited by Sim

• 3 weeks later...

NF0A3KYF.jpg?20200907140554

I like my North Face fuse box. Comes in a range of visible colors and as it opens by a zip around the top I can fit a lot of shopping in it easily.

Sturdy and relatively water resistant.

It’s big though. When carrying smaller or lighter loads I use a Harley Davidson messenger bag that my Mum found me in a thrift shop (I used a black marker to ink out the Harley symbol). It has a clasp on the shoulder strap and is much easier to get on and off over protective gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much have switched over from using a small duffle bag to a backpack.

I'm using my wife's old school bag...it's a JanSport. It has a laptop slot, 2 main storage areas that hold a ton, and 3 other small zipper areas that hold much. Love it. When I take my work laptop home it slides in great and gives me plenty of room for all my safety gear and enough extra room to stop by the grocery store for a few things.

No link, but it's a common school bag.

• 6 months later...

I realize this is an old thread  and have read through it but a question I have is does a hard shell back pack provide more protection from a back ward fall than a soft pack?  Looking at the features advertised on motorcycle gear web sites they speak about the aerodynamic advantages of hard shell packs but don't seem to promote them as a safety feature?  Gearing up ready to buy a real EUC and was thinking of getting motor cycle body armor with back protection but wondered whether a hard shell back pack would suffice . . .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

I realize this is an old thread  and have read through it but a question I have is does a hard shell back pack provide more protection from a back ward fall than a soft pack?  Looking at the features advertised on motorcycle gear web sites they speak about the aerodynamic advantages of hard shell packs but don't seem to promote them as a safety feature?  Gearing up ready to buy a real EUC and was thinking of getting motor cycle body armor with back protection but wondered whether a hard shell back pack would suffice . . .

I use a boblbee backpack for this purpose. Its a hardshell and very comfy to use.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Eastpak backpack with a laptop slot that I'll fill with EVA foam to increase back protection. A bag is a big protection issue, if there is a thick object inside. Trying to find a small motorbike tank bag with magnet in order to store the charger or other objects I would not like on my back. I'll need to mod my MSP for that, if I find my happiness...

sac_dos-eastpak-666255.jpg

@Lex Smith Bobblebee probably best protection BUT, it'll look like crap after even a low speed roll after it gets scraped up, while a semi hard shell bag like an OGIO No Drag would semi crush and pop back out like nothing ever happened. That was my only concern with a hard shell like the boblebee

Edited by Dreygun
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dreygun said:

@Lex Smith Bobblebee probably best protection BUT, it'll look like crap after even a low speed roll after it gets scraped up, while a semi hard shell bag like an OGIO No Drag would semi crush and pop back out like nothing ever happened. That was my only concern with a hard shell like the boblebee

I use an Ogio Mach 5 and crashed it on my Ninebot. It still gets scarred up pretty easy, lol. Great backpack though. Originally bought it for my motorcycles and it has done wonders for the past few years on them. Has been pretty great on the EUC too. Can't recommend them enough.

I have been seriously looking at the Boblebee packs though. It looks like they can add some serious protection, and the storage capacity is pretty substantial. Looking at the construction though, I'm not sure I'd want to wear it on a ride (EUC or motorcycle) without a back protector (like you add to a motorcycle jacket). That portion that curves into the lumbar just looks like it would hurt if it's not properly supported. All my MC jackets have level 2 back protectors in them that go down pretty low, so no worries there, but I haven't purchased a roost deflector for the EUC yet, so I'd probably keep it to 2 wheels until I do. That price point though... Boblebee is expensive...

• Like 1

Though I'm hoping to get a Boblebee soon, my Maxpedition Falcon II bag has been perfect for riding.  Slim face profile means my arms are free to swing back and forth and the Molle loops means you can attach any lights or accessories just about anywhere.  Plus it's also tough as nails. 

bag.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a fan of the Boblbee backpacks - I have two in the 25L size setup for commuter & adventure use. Their website also has sales for half price accessories or free extra shell(with purchase of backpack) so get on the mailing list and keep an eye out for those!

Best parts of the hard shell is knowing my work laptop & iPad will be safe if I wipe, the shell can be easily repaired with epoxy & fibreglass mesh, and after a rainy commute I can just wipe or hose off the grime that gets kicked up on the back and the generous length keeps my jacket mostly clean.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:43 AM, Lutalo said:

I hate backpacks in the summer because they make my back sweat :efefc8626c:. So, on day trips with my wheel I will use leg bags. I find them to be convenient, cooler in warm weather,  and more than capable of carrying what I need. I have one that can carry two fast chargers, mobile phone, mobile phone charger, plus, bottled water backsweat free. 

Camy Legbag.jpg

I love this idea. Good test for your balance. How much compensating do you do?