dantaylr

Z10 balancing sensor is getting wonky?

Hey all, I'm trying to determine if this is an issue with the latest firmware update, a problem with the control board, or another issue entirely.

Most recently I have noticed that my Z10's center of balance is making more drastic changes at low speeds. When I start the unit up and begin making small movements, I can feel the sensor reset slightly and at times have had the footplate tilt back and forward a significant amount before slowly resetting. This isn't as extreme as the issue linked in the post below, but is significantly different than when I got the unit. Again it hasn't affected me too much at higher speeds. Is it possible for the control board to slowly wear out?

Wheels  need re-calibrating from time to time, or weird stuff like this happens.  There's a recent post about how to do it on an InMotion wheel (not the one above).  I'll look for it.

EDIT.  Sorry, I can't find it.  It was current just a few days ago, but none of the recent titles ring any bells.

Basically start the wheel.  press the wheel disengage button and tip the wheel over on its nose so it balances there (on a perfectly level surface, don't assume check it with a level before you begin)  Open the app find the section about pedal angles the second option is for-calibration.  Follow the instructions.

Sorry, that's all I remember.  I've never even seen an InMotion wheel in the plastic.

Edited by Smoother

The Z10 does have a slight wonky balancing algorithm on the current and past firmwares.

First, I would re-level your Z via manual, non-app calibration, per the below video. (as I've found the app-based calibration not reliable)

Then, me and a fellow local rider have a hunch that delving in softer pedal response settings can throw the pedal levelness off whack, so I would stick to the hardest setting, think it's 0 offhand(?)

Edited by houseofjob

My Z10 has had the pedals go wonky (technical term) 3 or 4 times. While at a stop, such as waiting for a light, the pedals have tilted back to a degree that I had to get off the wheel. This hasn't happened now in a long time. But I still have issues where when I turn it on the pedals are leaning back and I have to do a calibration.

So in general, I think Ninebot did a crappy job of designing the hardware/software that maintains the pedal calibration. This is the only issue I've had. Fortunately the symptoms do not appear to be getting worse.

@houseofjob tried your calibration today and the wheel seems to be performing pretty well from my quick test. Thanks for that.
Will report if I experience anything strange later.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I was mainly concerned if it was a hardware issue and if I would need a new board. Does anyone know if it's just an accelerometer that's in the board that keeps these things upright, or what?

Edited by dantaylr

@dantaylr glad it worked so far!

Pretty convinced it's just the recent firmware. The preprod was not this bad, albeit we had it for a short span (plus I didn't experience this drifting balance on my Z this bad on earlier production Z firmwares)

Can someone, who has the wonky pedals issue check the tyre pressure, pump the tyre to 2.5-2.7 bar and let me if the wheel feels any different in terms of balancing?

I have not had to re-calibrate my Z since I purchased it so I am not the best person to advise, but I don't see how different tyre pressures would affect the front/back calibration?

On 3/17/2019 at 2:37 AM, houseofjob said:

so I would stick to the hardest setting, think it's 0 offhand(?)

That's right -> it is 0 😎