Vincent B

Brand new V10 not charging

Hello

New to the forum, got myself a new V10 5 days ago. It does not charge!! :(

So when i unpacked the wheel the battery showed 68% charge. Tried it out and rode about 2km total, after that i connected the charger. The LED on the charger lights up green and stays green even when connected to the wheel. The wheel makes the "charging sound" when i connect the charger, and the blue battery indicator is indicating that it´s charging. After charging for appr. 6 hours i disconnected the charger, powered up the wheel and connected my phone to find that the battery level now showed the same/slightly lower than before.

I spoke to the seller and he said that he had the same problem with another wheel, he told me to ride it and get the battery charge down lower to get it to start charging. I tried at 30%, got the same results. Now it´s at 20%/72V and still does not charge :(

I measured the output voltage from the charger, its at 81V without load. Then i measured the voltage on the + and - pins on the wheel, got a value of around 240mV. Should there be battery voltage on these pins? (wheel was turned off when i measured). Is there some kind of fuse on the charging port that might be blown?

The wheel now has ~20km on the clock, and rides perfectly.

The seller now seems to ignore me, can´t get in touch with him.. :efee96588e:

Thankful for all kinds of input that can help to sort this out, I just want to get out and ride my new wheel :crying:

4 hours ago, Vincent B said:

I measured the output voltage from the charger, its at 81V without load.

It should be 84V. Maybe that is the (simple) reason why the wheel doesn't respond to the charger connecting.

4 hours ago, Vincent B said:

Then i measured the voltage on the + and - pins on the wheel, got a value of around 240mV. Should there be battery voltage on these pins?

No, it has a diode for protection, 84V on blank pins in the open would not be desirable to have.

See also:

Ask your seller for a replacement charger since yours is 3V short.  This is not expensive but it's his responsibility.  If your seller continues to ignore you, tell him you will name and shame him here and his sales might drop to almost nothing.

If you can't get a new wheel fixed by your dealer, you wont get any service out of him in the future, so if he goes out of business, who cares? He's no help anyway.

Sweden has consumer rights laws. Another approach is to request a refund.

Did you pay by credit card? Open a dispute with them.

Did you pay by PayPal? Open a dispute with them.

You don't want this to drag on.  Don't ride the wheel anymore.

Don't damage or mark the wheel in anyway

Pack it all up in the box and be prepared to return it, in as close to new condition as possible.

These are all "good faith" steps you need to take to show you are keeping up your end of the "potential" return.

Good luck. keep us posted

I just had a similar experience.  After a few months of working normally I noticed my V10F wouldn't charge past 72%.  The charger would simply shut itself off.  I shot an email over to my seller and waited for a reply.

Jason at eWheels responded in a couple of hours and had me read off the voltage when the charger was not connected to the wheel but still plugged in to the outlet.  It read about 78 volts. Jason diagnosed it as a charger issue had a new one in the mail to me the next day, shipped at his expense.

Wheel is back to 100% with new charger.

I can't say enough good things about Jason and eWheels, particularly after reading so many horror stories on this site.  He is the best - if you are reading this in the USA you should strongly consider spending your good money at eWheels.  

BTW - he has no idea I'm saying this stuff....best kind of advertising is a happy customer!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 3:28 AM, Vincent B said:

Hello

So when i unpacked the wheel the battery showed 68% charge. Tried it out and rode about 2km total, after that i connected the charger. The LED on the charger lights up green and stays green even when connected to the wheel. The wheel makes the "charging sound" when i connect the charger, and the blue battery indicator is indicating that it´s charging. After charging for appr. 6 hours i disconnected the charger, powered up the wheel and connected my phone to find that the battery level now showed the same/slightly lower than before.

I spoke to the seller and he said that he had the same problem with another wheel, he told me to ride it and get the battery charge down lower to get it to start charging. I tried at 30%, got the same results. Now it´s at 20%/72V and still does not charge :(

I measured the output voltage from the charger, its at 81V without load. Then i measured the voltage on the + and - pins on the wheel, got a value of around 240mV. Should there be battery voltage on these pins? (wheel was turned off when i measured). Is there some kind of fuse on the charging port that might be blown?

Thankful for all kinds of input that can help to sort this out, I just want to get out and ride my new wheel :crying:

@Vincent BHi friend, please provide the problem videos to me, send to this email: service@imscv.com. Thanks

I have a V10 with a different charging/battery problem. My top bar (100-80%) disappears after 200 yards. I get about 3 blocks away from house and I am on 4 bars. The charger turns green while my fifth bar flickers as if it is still charging. I have reported this to support multiple times with no acknowledgement in return. Glad there are some new options this Spring/Summer... 

8 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I have a V10 with a different charging/battery problem. My top bar (100-80%) disappears after 200 yards. I get about 3 blocks away from house and I am on 4 bars. The charger turns green while my fifth bar flickers as if it is still charging. I have reported this to support multiple times with no acknowledgement in return. Glad there are some new options this Spring/Summer... 

Put a volt meter across you charger output pins.  Does it read the same voltage as you battery pack specs?

On 4/4/2019 at 5:17 AM, gon2fast said:

Most likely your charger outputs a reduced voltage, maybe around 82V. I have one of those too. For me this is not a big problem in itself, as I usually charge up only to 81.5V anyway. Of course, this should be treated under warranty.

Thank you for the advice, I will test this afternoon! I have tried to submit warranty claim(s) to the vendor concerning this issue, but have received no response.  

Any

On 3/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Vincent B said:

Hello

Any update on this problem Vincent B? I cannot charge my brand new V10 more that 94%.

I have 84V at the charging pins which is correct. 

Did you get it resolved? 

Hi,

I've had the same problem with my recently purchased V5F. It initially gave 99% but steadily the amount of charge it would accept dropped and it's now about 87%.

I've contacted the seller and he's happily agreed to exchange the charger so I'm hoping I'll have that in the next day or 2 :)

I wonder if the V10 and V5 use the same charger as it seems to be a relatively common problem.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gasmantle said:

I wonder if the V10 and V5 use the same charger as it seems to be a relatively common problem.

I think so. Though in the US it may have a GX12-4 connector, everywhere else it is GX12-3, to all I know.

Edited by Mono