ks 16s handler fragility

ubertoad

Well, I already broke two handlers for my new ks 16s. I also own ks 16a, and it is great and very robust, zero problems for all two years I own it. But as for 16s it is literally two days and two handlers broken.

So I'd like to know, what are other's experience? Maybe you have some advise? Is it possible to get some better handlers?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ubertoad said:

Well, I already broke two handlers for my new ks 16s. I also own ks 16a, and it is great and very robust, zero problems for all two years I own it. But as for 16s it is literally two days and two handlers broken.

So I'd like to know, what are other's experience? Maybe you have some advise? Is it possible to get some better handlers?

When really the hande broke (not the trolley?) then the Problem most probably is not the handle...it then often gets broken, because the inside trolley locks dont close correctly, and because they are not closed proper, the handle takes the stress then. So MY advise would be to grease/oil the trolley rods and locks inside the Wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both times the connections broke just under the black handler thing. 

Maybe I am too used to the lighter ks16a and handling the heavier ks16s wrong. I'm just not sure how to handle it correctly. I'm trolleying it quite often. The second time it broke when I was putting it down a couple of stairs with the trolley open. And hey, 16A lives fine for two years, and 16s breaks in a day.

15 minutes ago, ubertoad said:

Both times the connections broke just under the black handler thing. 

Maybe I am too used to the lighter ks16a and handling the heavier ks16s wrong. I'm just not sure how to handle it correctly. I'm trolleying it quite often. The second time it broke when I was putting it down a couple of stairs with the trolley open. And hey, 16A lives fine for two years, and 16s breaks in a day.

So you were trolleying it down some stairs? That is not "exactly" the usecase the trolley is meant for ;-) 

Golden rule: Never carry/lift the Wheel on a open trolley. The handle must always be locked on both sides before carrying/Lifting up the Wheel.

And  trolleying down stairs can give to much stress on the rod/handle Connection, too, when the Wheel then bumps to much. I personally only trolley my Wheel down one to two stairs (sidewalk to street), but not much more…..

I dont know which Version of 16A you had...but 16S weight can be up to 4kg higher than 16A, so yes, there is more stress on the trolley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubertoad said:

So I'd like to know, what are other's experience? Maybe you have some advise?

I've had my 16s for about a year, maybe more 1400km mostly short trips.  Almost every trip involves me lifting it into and out of my trunk. or rear foot well (mostly trunk) four times each ride.  My handle is fine, but I always make sure both sides are locked in place before lifting it. I even lost control of it once while trolleying on rough ground and the arms got bent when it fell over.  I just straightened them out and went on my way.  The lowering and raising is a bit sticky.  I'd lube them if I could find my lube (I'm too cheap to buy yet another can)

Edited by Smoother

Mine has 1100 miles or so on it. I never trolley up or down anything and only lift with both sides locked.  

I do keep it lubed and moving free by wiping the rails with furniture polish (like pledge) as it attracts less dust and I ride off road about half the time. 

When I got the wheel the trolley felt like suck a weak point that I have really been careful as can be with the handle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, Jason McNeil said:

We're finding the same thing. In the later 16S production runs, the two extensions connecting the handle to the rails are pretty fragile. The good news is that they've finally redesigned the 16S handles to the same magnesium alloy as those that are found on the other models—this project is about 2 months late... Both the rails & handle will need to be swapped out. Contact your local dealer to see how you can get your replaced, we have some arriving by DHL early next week. 

uc?export=view&id=1Fevjg-WFroBcR11wQ-mke

Hi Jason, and many thanks for the new rails and handle for my KS16S.  I finally got a chance to install them on Sunday.  

While the rails are black and look very different from the old aluminum rails, is there a way to distinguish the newer magnesium handle from the old black plastic handle?  Or perhaps KS has delivered the rails, but not yet the new handle?  The handle I have now seems the same as the old one.

Start to finish it took me about 2 hours to do the replacement, having never opened an euc before.  Probably an experienced euc mechanic could do the whole thing in less than 30 minutes.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, Flying W said:

Mine has 1100 miles or so on it. I never trolley up or down anything and only lift with both sides locked.  

I do keep it lubed and moving free by wiping the rails with furniture polish (like pledge) as it attracts less dust and I ride off road about half the time. 

When I got the wheel the trolley felt like suck a weak point that I have really been careful as can be with the handle. 

The other day, I found some Pledge and gave my trolley a good spray

WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  I can't believe I have been babying my trolley for months.  Now it just wizzes up and down in one quick movement just like when it was new.  Thanks @Flying W I owe you a beer. :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

Hi Jason, and many thanks for the new rails and handle for my KS16S.  I finally got a chance to install them on Sunday.  

While the rails are black and look very different from the old aluminum rails, is there a way to distinguish the newer magnesium handle from the old black plastic handle?  Or perhaps KS has delivered the rails, but not yet the new handle?  The handle I have now seems the same as the old one.

Start to finish it took me about 2 hours to do the replacement, having never opened an euc before.  Probably an experienced euc mechanic could do the whole thing in less than 30 minutes.

Recieved my brand new KS16S from Jason not so long ago. The model I recieved has the same lift sensor as the 18 inch wheels and it is clearly metal underneath the paint. I've scratched the handle once and the black finish rubbed off and under it was metal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  I can't believe I have been babying my trolley for months.  Now it just wizzes up and down in one quick movement just like when it was new.  Thanks @Flying W I owe you a beer. :cheers:

:thumbup:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jas3 said:

On the new magnesium handles the rails are slotted directly into the handle, instead of with the small (fragile) extension. You should be able to tell that it's metal: it is heavier, conducts heat/cold, tapping it will produce a different sound & feel.  

15 hours ago, Smoother said:

For a longer lasting solution I would suggest using a spray dry lubricant. These are widely available and inexpensive.

14 hours ago, Blank said:

Recieved my brand new KS16S from Jason not so long ago. The model I recieved has the same lift sensor as the 18 inch wheels and it is clearly metal underneath the paint. I've scratched the handle once and the black finish rubbed off and under it was metal. 

Whoa, did I miss an announcement somewhere? The KS16S now sports a lift sensor? Fantastic news!

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Whoa, did I miss an announcement somewhere? The KS16S now sports a lift sensor? Fantastic news!

Yes, I recieved the newest batch from Ewheels  and it comes with the lift to disengage feature.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For a longer lasting solution I would suggest using a spray dry lubricant. These are widely available and inexpensive.

Some tire shine products have silicone in them.

• 3 months later...

I was able to order the new replacement handle from @Jason McNeil - new trolley bar and new handle (all black) for my KS-16S.  However, because there's no documentation for the trolley bar -> handle bar connection, I drilled some thru-holes to make the connections needed, which obviously resulted in a trolley handle that WORKS, but does not lock and allow me to carry in the 'closed' position.  

Does anyone have any advice or videos they've found that shows how to install the *new* trolley bar and handle set together?