Why are ther so few Female riders?

Hsiang

3 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I hoped for a while that my wife would learn to ride the EUC but also realized it wasn’t going to happen.  I bought her a nice scooter with equivalent speed and range so we could cruise together.  Best decision ever!

9A2B74E7-141B-44BC-9466-0C87A1FC9406.jpeg

I also have a speedway 3, main thing I don't like about it is how loud it is compared to the EUCs.

Like why are those little motors so loud.  I can accelerate silently on my unicycle up to 20 plus miles an hour, on the scooter though....wwwwwwwwhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I guess people definitely hear you coming.

Thought about selling it because I don't ride it, but got it for 450 with less than 60 miles on it in new condition so I keep it in case someone else wants to ride with me who doesn't know how to ride a unicycle

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, pico said:

thread hijacking!....

...Is the rule, not the exception.  Create a thread, release it into the world, and it will turn 90 degrees before the end of the first page. It's just not your baby once you hit "submit"button. 

Hey! I even hijack my own threads!:facepalm:

43 minutes ago, Smoother said:

...Is the rule, not the exception.  Create a thread, release it into the world, and it will turn 90 degrees before the end of the first page. It's just not your baby once you hit "submit"button. 

Hey! I even hijack my own threads!:facepalm:

So you finally admit it.....you hijack yourself. I heard if you do that too much you can go blind.

I'm sorry to bring up the actual thread topic (how dare I) but I've also noticed that most female riders don't wear protection. In fact almost every single woman on an EUC I've seen on Youtube; even legit promotional/commercial vids, they look like they are about to hop off and go to the club or on a date.

Maybe that's a factor too for all this, women think protection looks dumb or it messes up their hair/style. Oh hell naw.

3 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

My wife and I are both in our 60s. She can do basic riding. She definitely doesn't like face plant at her age. For most women, face plant is no shortcut to cosmetic surgery. They much prefer to pay a hefty price for the real thing. :o:D Men don't care, they like face plants especially the macho type as it's evident in UFC fights.

My masculinity just headed south. :huh:

15 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Maybe that's a factor too for all this, women think protection looks dumb

Quite true. My GF puts it on and off, depending on the level of risk for the day.

When we go for a ride together, she (and me) rarely wear head protection. But then, we don't go fast. We like quiet, silent rides. 

We are probably wrong to do so.

3 minutes ago, pico said:

Quite true. My GF puts it on and off, depending on the level of risk for the day.

When we go for a ride together, she (and me) rarely wear head protection. But then, we don't go fast. We like quiet, silent rides. 

We are probably wrong to do so.

I wouldn't say wrong

If it's slow or moderate speed and you know the path already....protection optional.

But remember it only takes one rogue squirrel or a walnut falling from a tree and all of a sudden you are in the E.R.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:31 AM, LanghamP said:

Because women don't do risks. They wait at the finish line then go home with the winners.

Tell my wife that to her face and you'll get punched in the nose. After she chases you down on her MSX at 35 mph.

Our San Francisco group has multiple female riders, all of whom are badass, always at the front of the pack.

40 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

So you finally admit it.....you hijack yourself. I heard if you do that too much you can go blind.

Well, since you mention it, my eyesight isn't the best. Maybe a bit less self "hijacking" is in order.:wub:

3 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

I also have a speedway 3, main thing I don't like about it is how loud it is compared to the EUCs.

Like why are those little motors so loud.  I can accelerate silently on my unicycle up to 20 plus miles an hour, on the scooter though....wwwwwwwwhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I guess people definitely hear you coming.

Thought about selling it because I don't ride it, but got it for 450 with less than 60 miles on it in new condition so I keep it in case someone else wants to ride with me who doesn't know how to ride a unicycle

I was shocked by the noise level and originally thought the motor might have an issue.   Nope.   The motor is half the size of my EUC and 100x louder, and I ride a Kingsong!   Anyway, she's happy, the motor is solid, so the world keeps spinning.

On the female fashion front, my wife didn't ride the scooter until she had the proper backpack (high end fashion), matching helmet and bee stickers to round out the look.   Only then would she be seen riding the scooter.

Added pic of my wife on her scooter with my daughter following on a Bird.

20190312_113615_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, tenofnine said:

all of a sudden you are in the E.R.

We try to avoid that by advanced training. But then as you say...

We do 5% ride 95% train.

She wears protection when getting familiar with advanced manoeuvers.

She is low km but not inexperienced.

By now she will make quite a few riders on the board blush. She can free mount both sides, crouch on the wheel, ride in irregular grass, single foot ride left and right. Transition to backward riding consistenlty. Idle. Ride backward 30m. Make a turn backward one side, spin around one leg. Hop off the wheel while riding. She is now  also training for side riding.

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Tell my wife that to her face and you'll get punched in the nose. After she chases you down on her MSX at 35 mph.

Our San Francisco group has multiple female riders, all of whom are badass, always at the front of the pack.

An evolutionary biologist would agree with me while a white knight who trusts in men not retaliating with violence would say what you say.

Again, women don't do risks, as even the most cursory examination of mortality tables would show. However, you are the absolute perfect example of a politically correct idea of go-grrl putting realism after idealism.

18 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That's a bit harsh... Remember I have the whole accent thing going on!   :D

True. You probably sound like Sam Neil. I'm Sure the ladies love that :D:D

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

@who_the. She would really walk up to a grown-ass man besides you and swing on him? She really is quite the risk taker, and you must be quite the diplomat :whistling:

5 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I'm sorry to bring up the actual thread topic (how dare I) but I've also noticed that most female riders don't wear protection.

That's because they don't ride more than 5mph :whistling:

44 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

That's because they don't ride more than 5mph :whistling:

The hair Fabio! The hair! :efeffe9e4a:

6 hours ago, pico said:

By now she will make quite a few riders on the board blush. She can free mount both sides, crouch on the wheel, ride in irregular grass, single foot ride left and right. Transition to backward riding consistenlty. Idle. Ride backward 30m. Make a turn backward one side, spin around one leg. Hop off the wheel while riding. She is now  also training for side riding.

Damn, that's more advanced than me. Oh well I have more experience crashing.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Damn, that's more advanced than me. Oh well I have more experience crashing.

Don't worry, you will be just fine... Not a race, as long as you are having fun. This is what really counts. I have experience crashing too.

8 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I was shocked by the noise level and originally thought the motor might have an issue.   Nope.   The motor is half the size of my EUC and 100x louder, and I ride a Kingsong!   Anyway, she's happy, the motor is solid, so the world keeps spinning.

On the female fashion front, my wife didn't ride the scooter until she had the proper backpack (high end fashion), matching helmet and bee stickers to round out the look.   Only then would she be seen riding the scooter.

Added pic of my wife on her scooter with my daughter following on a Bird.

20190312_113615_resized.jpg

Your daughter has rad style, that sweater and those boots remind me of the late 90s. Ahhh nostalgia; zany patterns/colors and Doc Martens.

Kudos to them for wearing helmets, every time I see coverage of e-scooters in Cali no one is wearing protection.

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

@who_the. She would really walk up to a grown-ass man besides you and swing on him? She really is quite the risk taker, and you must be quite the diplomat :whistling:

Well said... And you're right, I've taken more punches from her than anyone else. Sometimes we need someone to have our back, sometimes we need someone to hold us back.

7 hours ago, who_the said:

Well said... And you're right, I've taken more punches from her than anyone else. Sometimes we need someone to have our back, sometimes we need someone to hold us back.

:)

Unfortunately a lot of pretty women I know In Paris have told me this :

"Your quite good looking but your are ridiculous with this ugly thing, I ll  just ignore you when I see you with .." And I dont exagerate.... So now way to expect many french woman using eucycles ...

But French women, you know ... And especially  Parisian French women ...

14 minutes ago, Vanzen said:

Unfortunately a lot of pretty women I know In Paris have told me this :

"Your quite good looking but your are ridiculous with this ugly thing, I ll  just ignore you when I see you with .." And I dont exagerate.... So now way to expect many french woman using eucycles ...

But French women, you know ... And especially  Parisian French women ...

I feel like in Paris it would be super practical since a lot of things are within EUC range, plus you're helping the environment. That's a shame that Parisian women feel that way.

It's so weird to think about how everyone thinks regular ol' bicycles are cool or "not dorky". In reality they take up a lot of space, they are  kind of awkward,  they can be pretty heavy, and they could still be improved upon. I guess it's just cause they are considered efficient, they are old, and they are everywhere that they get a pass.

And then most people think scooters are lame, but they think skateboarding is cool, etc. It's interesting how the majority opinion shifts against specific things.

Someone needs to come up with electric figure unicycling.  Imagine taking take this guy:

ezgif-5-9d9afbc20848.gif.1bbf01849d4ccf1

Throw a silky, sequined shirt and some black dancing pants on him, with some sappy music and then the ladies would be lining up to ride with him!

2 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Someone needs to come up with electric figure unicycling.  Imagine taking take this guy:

Throw a silky, sequined shirt and some black dancing pants on him, with some sappy music and then the ladies would be lining up to ride with him!

This is me. I am working on it...B)

Archived