Open Letter to inmotion, after my 4th full speed faceplant for no good reason

Kevin Graehl

21 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Are you allowed to do this?

In my country this is illegal.

In mine too, since (I assume) the other party has not given permission to publish the recording. I would be really careful not to cross any legal lines especially since you're hoping to get reimbursed.

• Upvote 1

I'll wait for a letter from them..   Didn't realize that, but too late now.. I record ALL calls.  24/7. Saved my ass on more then one occasion .. @inmotion.  if you want me to remove let me know asap 415 341 2281    I'm not trying to SUE or make money here.  just want to be treated fairly for misinformation   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Graehl said:

I'll wait for a letter from them..   Didn't realize that, but too late now.. I record ALL calls.  24/7. Saved my ass on more then one occasion .. @inmotion.  if you want me to remove let me know asap 415 341 2281    I'm not trying to SUE or make money here.  just want to be treated fairly for misinformation   

I wouldn't recommend that approach...they could actually sue YOU for posting the call online without their consent...

17 hours ago, Kevin Graehl said:

I record ALL calls.  24/7.

Nothing wrong with that. It’s the publishing of the recording that is illegal, atleast here in Finland.

57 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Nothing wrong with that. It’s the publishing of the recording that is illegal, atleast here in Finland.

In Spain it's pretty much the same. You can record a call, but unless you inform the other party they're being recorded, you can't use the recording in a trial, for example. And in terms of publishing a recording without the other party's permission...you can get in a lot of trouble...

On 3/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, Kevin Graehl said:

this is a review i sent..on their website, after emails went nowhere... now for sale  $550 San francisco..  Or might just find in trash in front of my house if i'm stupid to ride above 14 mph and crash and go the the doctor again when i'm healed up:)

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the V8.  I'm 6'1" and was a shade over 220 when I purchased mine (have shed a few lbs since).  I've got over 500 miles on it now.  I have the speed set to max and I've never experienced (thankfully) anything like you described.  I ride it up steep hills, off curbs, etc.  You are a bit taller and heavier than me, but if you're having these failures on flat ground then I still wonder if there's something defective with your wheel?  I also have a Glide2/V5f that I learned on.  I've been using it to teach a friend who goes more like 6'4" 250 and it doesn't give out on him, though the range is limited and he gets tilt back pretty quickly as the battery gets low.  He's going to go straight to an 18" when he buys.  My experience with InMotion has been a good one, so your's this surprises me.

I'm curious where you bought your wheel?  I got mine from eWheels, but I have a friend who bought off Amazon.  He's had one failure like you describe.  I've ridden his and if feels very different from my own (not as responsive, more pedal tilt, softer) even though the settings appear to be the same on the app, same firmware, etc.  I don't know what to make of it.

I don't disagree with all who say that a bigger more power wheel would suit you better.  In fact, I've ordered and am waiting on an 18XL myself.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it for longer rides, and for 20+ mph speeds when I'm riding in areas where I can do that safely.

Edited by JBinBalt

On 3/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, JBinBalt said:

I've ridden his and if feels very different from my own (not as responsive, more pedal tilt, softer) even though the settings appear to be the same on the app, same firmware, etc.  I don't know what to make of it.

This could be the calibration. Recalibration with the app (on the same page where the pedal angle is set, wheel standing on the fender) may well fix this.

Edited by Mono

UPDATE--  No update..  They / anyone will not write me back.  Did a credit card dispute..   Let them middle man this.   Hate to do this to the nice shop that sells them, but hopefully it will light a fire under inmotion usa to take care of me..   415 341 2281   all  you have to do is call me back.   You said you would inmotion..  Ball is in your court..   Ignoring works ,  only for so long..   close to a thousand bucks I spent...  Next time a KingSong..   Let me preface..  Love the wheel..  just hate watching it collect dust..  I'm not happy riding it at 14 mph max for safety reasons ..  I'll ride my m365 scooter at that speed if thats the case

I am just wondering, on my V8s I had to agree that setting the max speed above 15.5mph is dangerous and blablabla and (I guess/assume, can't remember precisely) on my own risk. You didn't see this popping up when setting the max speed above 15mph?

Edited by Mono

9 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I hate to think what Kevin might do if he doesn't get his way :) 

I know better than to ride a V8 at my size. Kevin is right though. The box says it will handle him. We know from experience that it can only do one thing on the box at a time. You can go up a slope or you can go 18 mph or you can weigh 240 pounds but you can only do one of those things at a time. :angry: The box should say little non aggressive people only. 

I think that InMotion deserves it.:popcorn: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FYI

Never ever do I push hard up a hill.    I used to machine bells and stators, wind , and set magnets on hobby motors.   Even did a few prototype 3 phase brushless motors  72 volts plus 300 amps.   Wye windings  ..   I know how these motors work and their limitations. Batteries and bms systems.  Back over 10 years ago nobody made shit like this off the shelf.

I'm going to be honest.   I had no idea it was only 800 watts.    Kept telling people it was 1800.      I'm surprised it's kept me up for so many successful flights ..      hindsight  great and all.    I'm not looking for free handouts, but for those of you who listened to my with Brian from inmotion USA YouTube video phone recording, know he straight up gave the totally wrong advice on what model .    I took it down per a Google search on the matter. 

It's a grey area as my gf was on the carphone but I don't really feel like responding to a civil and criminal suit.. 🙄😜.   

When a guy tells a rep at inmotion he rides in the expert class on motorcycles and likes to jump and lives on the hills of San Francisco...  And is 245 pounds 6-5 inches....   ..  the response should not be you're fine as long as you're not over 260.   "The only thing you will notice is less mileage.    " 

Coming from a Segway,.   Those things have such a reserve of power I tried everything to tip it forward.   It's not possible.   I used to go full speed down wet asphalt geared up and yank back ..  the wheels would skid and spin but never let me down.    I dropped into a 4 foot halfpipe on it.    

Buying some supermoto wheels for my ktm track bike. Plate for it is coming from Arizona...   Going to stay with two wheels until I get a king song or a v10 upgrade from inmotion .    

Call me out if you think I'm being an idiot.   I can take it. 

Inmotion- send me new skins and a full inner shell.   Since mine is all battered up.   I'll sell it for 500 bucks after and eat the difference.     I had 400 bucks worth of fun for sure.   

Just call me back.   .  Or email.   All of your communication ceased after you asked what dealer told me I was fine for my weight.   As soon as I showed you it was your own guy it's been silence on email and you call center .   4 times I've reached out.    Just tell me I'm burnt.     Or you won't.    I'm not lawyering up.    But putting your business out there.   And now you're going to have a pissed off merchant who has a 900 dollar chargeback via visa.  

This is not a warranty issue.  But am happy to send back.  Just make sure the one you send back can handle my size and terrain and style.   It's like selling a truck for towing a big block twin turbo boat and later finding out it only has a 1" receiver hitch capacity on the back 🤔😜

,.   But it should have read

". This wheel maxes out full power flat ground at 23 mph milliseconds before physics take over and you will fall down.   Therefore only in perfect flat conditions,   we suggest you stay under 15 in settings.    We only allow you to go 19.1 mph as to sell more against our competitors.   If you have ridden a Segway, they still have    If you are above 200 pounds we strongly advise you to meet us somewhere in the middle- say 16 mph max.    Don't say we didn't warn you."

Edited by Kevin Graehl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Graehl said:

I know how these motors work and their limitations.

I had no idea it was only 800 watts.

It doesn't really help (at all) if you know the principle limitations of these motors but are not aware of the actual power of the motor you are working with. What am I missing?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the default maximal speed setting is 15.5mph? I assume you changed the factory setting agreeing to the warning which pops up, right? If Brian recommended to you to increase this setting I have to agree that he gave exceptionally bad advice.

Coming from a Segway,.   Those things have such a reserve of power I tried everything to tip it forward.   It's not possible.

The Segway goes faster than 15mph?

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1