Ninebot Z6/Z10 Battery Type

chriss

yep, found this on youtube from a Z10 disessembly video. They get surpringly high power out of a 52V battery setup. I was most interested in the discharge value of the cells used (10A for the LG MH1) and how they compare to the cells used in the Z6. Since the battery compartments in the 2 models have the same physical dimensions, lower capacity cells must be used in the Z6 (but not less cells in number). Depending on the type of cells, the Z6 battery may or may not have a different max discharge value which impacts power. 

Otherwise, the Z6 offers an interesting optionality value in that it can easily be upgraded to a Z10 ( or pimped with 3500 / 20A cells).
1492354783_Screenshot(65).thumb.png.dfc3375a255cd324cb905e7ce810a26b.png

Edited by chriss

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, chriss said:

Since the battery compartments in the 2 models have the same physical dimensions, lower capacity cells must be used in the Z6 (but not less cells in number).

Not quite true. The Z6 does use less cells. Voltage is the same,  although less Mah due to less cells (and less Mah per cell)

Z6 uses LG M26s 2600Mah cells.

The battery compartment on all models is the same as you say, however there is unused space either side of the Z6 battery compartment, whereas the Z10 (and I believe, the Z8) is packed full.

I suspect the Z8 used the same cells as the Z6, but made a full pack like the Z10. The Z10 makes a full pack, but with the higher quality 3200mah cells to get the Mah advantage over the Z8.

The end result is that it would not be terribly difficult to upgrade the battery pack on either the Z6 or Z8. With the Z6 you could either add more of the same cells (to bring it in line with the Z8 pack size) or completely replace all the cells with a higher Mah. Technically there is nothing stopping you building a full Z6 pack with 3500Mah cells to give more Mah than a stock Z10. Imagine the run time with that.

The only thing to bear in mind is that adding additional cells on the Z6 will require an additional BMS for them. No big deal. Also, it will still only be running a 'single pack' as opposed to the Z10's dual pack connections. I don't see this as an issue at this time though. The only problem is that you will not be able to get individual cell voltage via the NINEbattery app as the data can only be pulled from the original cells. Again, not a big issue IMO, most people don't even use the app.

• 6 months later...

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

With a Z10 battery pack at around £700 I think you would be wasting your time (and money).

True that it isn't cheap, maybe if prices were be a bit less (through the technology peak :-) / second hand/ refurb / ...)

The limitation I 'm confronted with, is that our national law (Belgium - EU) doesn't permit speeds above 25 kmh for an EUC on public roads (motorized propulsion devices).
So at this point In time - bigger motors are wasted at us, so I can only optimize for comfort and range (not speed - "dead weight").

But you have a 35kmh wheel already so the legal aspect seems irrelevant?

The Z10 is barely any heavier than a Z6. And both have the same motors. In fact they are identical except for a few extra cells. The battery isnt twice as heavy, the 10 uses higher capacity cells. You may as well sell the 6 and buy a 10.

Or maybe an 840Wh KS16S.

22 hours ago, Planemo said:

But you have a 35kmh wheel already so the legal aspect seems irrelevant?

The Z10 is barely any heavier than a Z6. And both have the same motors. In fact they are identical except for a few extra cells. The battery isn't twice as heavy, the 10 uses higher capacity cells. You may as well sell the 6 and buy a 10.

Or maybe an 840Wh KS16S.

No, the legal aspect stays the same - public roads is limited to 25 kmh (so whatever speed is on top, is "wasted"/officially non-usable).
Private terrain / off-roading can benefit from other speeds (is "own risk" too, if you faceplant or so), only one specific insurance till 45 kmh.

Do they not have different motors ? I though they had different motors (1800 W vs 1200W) and different battery packs.

Don't think there is a big second hand market here, so I ll be (ab)using this one first :-p

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, RevolvingRider said:

I have a Z10 that won't start, and it's brand-new have tried changing boards with no luck.

Can I purchase a Z6 and put the battery from my Z10 into it?

Hi,

It seems like a waste if it is a brand new Z10 and you have to buy a new Z6 to get it working.

I have no idea what the issue can be from here ... and how much experience you have with opening up EUC's.
But you switched out both boards ( MOS and controller) with ne
w ones, correct ?
Did you get the app from @MRN76 too to reset the Serial Number - ninetool ( http://mrn76.ru/index.php/en/ninetool-en/nenetoolzlo-en ).
> You will need this too if you want to merge and change from Z6 > Z10

Are the led's still blinking on the battery pack ?
You can charge them, if they are in deep sleep mode. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJRfPdS8Fo )

There is also a tool to check the battery status > Ninebattery (https://mimod.ru/en_US/ninebattery/)

As answer to your question - it is possible - wheel specs seem to be the same, apart from the battery.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, Meulebeest said:

Hi,

Anyone ever tried putting Z10 batteries in a Z6, in order to extend range ?

Curious whether it worked and what efforts you need to make to get it working.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, RevolvingRider said:

I have a Z10 that won't start, and it's brand-new have tried changing boards with no luck.

Can I purchase a Z6 and put the battery from my Z10 into it?

On 11/2/2020 at 8:59 AM, Meulebeest said:

Hi,

It seems like a waste if it is a brand new Z10 and you have to buy a new Z6 to get it working.

I have no idea what the issue can be from here ... and how much experience you have with opening up EUC's.
But you switched out both boards ( MOS and controller) with ne
w ones, correct ?
Did you get the app from @MRN76 too to reset the Serial Number - ninetool ( http://mrn76.ru/index.php/en/ninetool-en/nenetoolzlo-en ).
> You will need this too if you want to merge and change from Z6 > Z10

Are the led's still blinking on the battery pack ?
You can charge them, if they are in deep sleep mode. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJRfPdS8Fo )

There is also a tool to check the battery status > Ninebattery (https://mimod.ru/en_US/ninebattery/)

As answer to your question - it is possible - wheel specs seem to be the same, apart from the battery.

Good luck.

I both a Z6 and got a good deal on a Z10 battery pack, replacement is easy and straightforward also used the NineTool to change firmware to Z10 7.6.1, speed limit at 60km/h and so far is working well and never add issues like before that sometimes it switched off. Also never tried the top speed feels to fast for me but like to have the safe margin if needed for whatever reason.

Conclusion between Z6 and Z10 everything is interchangeable/upgradable.