NEW OneWheel Pint

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

So far I do not like it.

I need to be fair before saying that in the Onewheel community, but here I will say it. 

I have never ridden an e-unicycle nor any unicycle. I took my time learning the EUC, and have never once fallen. Not once. 

After several months of studying the Onewheel, watching tutorials, etc. I finally got my Pint, stood on it, started to move just a bit and fell hard. I tried it again - fell.

The danger is that despite simple stop, it completely gets from under your feet. Self-balancing? Ha! Where? This feels so incredibly unsafe.

If I do learn it and ride outside, it remains a concern because the fall is like the rug being pulled from beneath you - literally. 

I am going to give it another try the rest of the week. If I can't get the hang of it and gain confidence, I am selling it.

I do not have any regrets though. People here warned me NOT to buy and to cancel it. But I had to experience this for myself. I just feel so much safer on the EUC. 

ecIFg3e.jpg

you sure its operating alright? i dont know much about them but i know its a stationary platform that you should be able to stand perfectly still on forever, like people who have never ridden them once can stand on it and go, theyre awkward but essentially because of the width of the tire there is zero balance required from you.. ive never ridden one before so im just going off of what ive seen, but seems strange that you would fall unless it was turning off

9 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

you sure its operating alright? i dont know much about them but i know its a stationary platform that you should be able to stand perfectly still on forever, like people who have never ridden them once can stand on it and go, theyre awkward but essentially because of the width of the tire there is zero balance required from you.. ive never ridden one before so im just going off of what ive seen, but seems strange that you would fall unless it was turning off

FYI, like with EUC, it really depends on the tire.

There's a whole aftermarket of tires for the OW platform, but the stock tire if I'm not mistaken is more rounded, hence not as flat at rest. (I tried @Tishawn Fahie old OW+ and can attest to this).

The diehard OW guys never really ride the stock tire AFAIK.

Edited by houseofjob

Just now, houseofjob said:

There's a whole aftermarket of tires for the OW platform, but the stock tire if I'm not mistaken is more rounded, hence not as flat at rest.

oh really, had absolutely no idea lol.. onewheel has always at the very best mildly intrigued me, I've never had any serious interest in actually buying one,, but if I'm not mistaken if you turn it on it can balance itself and stand perfectly still right? like at a traffic light you could stand still on it without taking a foot off or holding anything? I'm just trying to figure out how it could slide out from under you unless obviously it cut off

14 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

When I lose control, it slides from under my feet - taking me with it then dumping me to the ground. I am going to give it a few more times, but I am not enjoying it nor the potential to fall this way outdoors. 

One reason I want it was because I assumed you could stand still on it at a light also. So far that's not the case because it still requires balancing. I owned a Segway i2 and could stand almost still on that. It was truly self-balancing. I don't feel that this is so far.

I'm going to try a few different settings and get feedback from the Facebook group. We'll see. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

When I lose control, it slides from under my feet - taking me with it then dumping me to the ground. I am going to give it a few more times, but I am not enjoying it nor the potential to fall this way outdoors. 

Hmmmm... is this with the new Simplestop feature on or off?

4 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh really, had absolutely no idea lol.. onewheel has always at the very best mildly intrigued me, I've never had any serious interest in actually buying one,, but if I'm not mistaken if you turn it on it can balance itself and stand perfectly still right? like at a traffic light you could stand still on it without taking a foot off or holding anything? I'm just trying to figure out how it could slide out from under you unless obviously it cut off

The side-to-side you still kind of have to balance

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

There's a whole aftermarket of tires for the OW platform, but the stock tire if I'm not mistaken is more rounded, hence not as flat at rest. (I tried @Tishawn Fahie old OW+ and can attest to this).

Yes, but I don't think there's one for the Pint yet. I also don't have the skills to modify it. 

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Hmmmm... is this with the new Simplestop feature on or off?

The side-to-side you still kind of have to balance

Simple stop on.

Haha. It takes practice to stand still on a OneWheel.
Riding a OneWheel is like trying to control the ocean... it's better to flow with it.
Here is a little compilation I made a while back. This is the OneWheel+ XR with standard Vega tire and 14 PSI.
The Pint has a rounder profile making it even harder to balance on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

One reason I want it was because I assumed you could stand still on it at a light also. So far that's not the case because it still requires balancing. I owned a Segway i2 and could stand almost still on that. It was truly self-balancing. I don't feel that this is so far.

I'm going to try a few different settings and get feedback from the Facebook group. We'll see. 

oh ok, i always imagined them like a hoverboard but sideways lol

29 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, but I don't think there's one for the Pint yet. I also don't have the skills to modify it. 

FYI, it's all just re-purposed Go-Kart tires, not specifically made for the Pint or OneWheel.

On quick search, it does seem that this is a more niche tire sizing, as I can only find 10.5x4.5-6 tire options here and here. (and the OW guys say tires can dramatically alter the feel, just like tires can do the same for EUC).

Hopefully you figure out how not to bail, would be a shame to not at least get some hang and enjoyment out of your new PEV!

Even on the OneWheel, like our EUCs, I've heard foot positioning and leveraging the finer controls of heels/toes is important, maybe @Jimmy Chang can offer some pointers for you?

Edited by houseofjob

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, it's all just re-purposed Go-Kart tires, not specifically made for the Pint or OneWheel.

On quick search, it does seem that this is a more niche tire sizing, as I can only find 10.5x4.5-6 tire options here and here. (and the OW guys say tires can dramatically alter the feel, just like tires can do the same for EUC).

Hopefully you figure out how not to bail, would be a shame to not at least get some hang and enjoyment out of your new PEV!

Even on the OneWheel, like our EUCs, I've heard foot positioning and leveraging the finer controls of heels/toes is important, maybe @Jimmy Chang can offer some pointers for you?

Thank you! I hopped back on and held onto some chairs. I’m taking it much slower vs. being overconfident and attempting to ride freely. 

I’ll look into the tire change and reach out to Jimmy. I’ve also sent out an SOS on the Pint Facebook forum for local buddies. I remember local EUC riders being willing to teach me. 

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha. It takes practice to stand still on a OneWheel.
Riding a OneWheel is like trying to control the ocean... it's better to flow with it.
Here is a little compilation I made a while back. This is the OneWheel+ XR with standard Vega tire and 14 PSI.
The Pint has a rounder profile making it even harder to balance on.

Thanks for sharing the compilation. It’s encouraging to see the progression of each. 

Around :48 where the man loses his footing - that’s what happened to me except I fell completely to the ground. 

I’ll practice more and hopefully come to find some enjoyment from it vs. horror. 😬

32 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Thank you! I hopped back on and held onto some chairs. I’m taking it much slower vs. being overconfident and attempting to ride freely. 

I’ll look into the tire change and reach out to Jimmy. I’ve also sent out an SOS on the Pint Facebook forum for local buddies. I remember local EUC riders being willing to teach me. 

Sure~

If you're on Telegram, the local NYC OW guys have a chat, might be faster and more local than FB: http://onewheel.nyceboarding.com/

@Lillian as someone who has used both the onewheel and EUCs extensively, I can without a doubt say that an EUC is safer than a onewheel due to the positioning of your feet, the tire circumference, and the power/motor differences between the two.  However the onewheel is a lot of fun once you learn it.  It's two totally different rides, and there are very few people I know that know how to ride both.  I am pretty proficient at both these and esk8, I think the only other person I can think of that rides all 3 is @Mike Sacristan 

You have to retrain your brain to be sideways and balance front to back, on an EUC it's the opposite.  I could never stand still on an EUC, but on a onewheel I can stand perfectly still with my eyes closed.  And when you are riding, think of it as flowing on a wave.  

I'd say don't judge until you get a 100 miles on the onewheel.  And if it's not your thing, then you can sell it very easily.  The demand for pint is very high right now, and people have even paid 1200+ for it.  You can easily sell yours for full price assuming it's in decent shape.  I don't need another onewheel, but heck I'd even offer 900 for it if it looks as good as it does in that picture. Although I'd say sell it to someone else cuz you'd likely get more from them haha.  

Edited by photorph
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

Thanks for sharing the compilation. It’s encouraging to see the progression of each. 

Around :48 where the man loses his footing - that’s what happened to me except I fell completely to the ground. 

I’ll practice more and hopefully come to find some enjoyment from it vs. horror. 😬

Yes I can imagine that's what happened to you and it also happened to my wife when we were out riding. She hit an irregular asphalt wave on the road and fell like a pancake.
She has a tendency to fight the Onewheel. I asked her what happened and she answered "it disappeared from right under me." I got a bit annoyed to say the least and asked her if it was a rider error or a board error because if it's a board error then I don't want her to use that board again. After a long discussion about narcissism we came to the conclusion that it was rider error. I made her ride over the irregular part five times before we continued our journey. She never got to terms with the Onewheel and I ended up selling it. It was the most fun of all my PEVs though. However the fact that I could sell it and buy an 18XL with the money made it hard to keep.

On every clip where she was riding the Onewheel she would always be tensing and flexing her right hand. Which is a sign of her being extremely nervous. So I understand the horror part. Some people pick it up in 5 minutes and some people pick it up in 5 weeks.

I ride with my front foot at 45 degrees and my rear foot at closer to 90 degrees. I do not ride duck footed. My heel hangs over the side of the board on the front. My toes hang over the board on the rear. In this way with my small feet I am "in the middle". Turning is special. Riding at speed is special. If you practice on grass you will get overstimulated at balancing and turning and then it will feel like god mode when you get back to asphalt.

Also the man you mention... my friend Simon. He weighs around 100kg. Ain't no Onewheel gonna push him around. But when it comes to me... damn man I would have done the splits if I would have been stupid enough to leave my foot on the front sensor like that.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

... After a long discussion about narcissism we came to the conclusion that it was rider error...

This just cracked me up.

I see that so-called Simon left his foot on the front sensor pad, but I don’t understand why it looks like his shoe is magnetically connected to it. At the end of his run, it sure looks like he has to shake that board off his foot. Now, I know his foot isn’t secured in any way, but my goodness, it sure looks like it in that vid.

@Lillian, I’m truly sorry to hear how difficult your experience has been. I know how much you’ve been looking forward to the Pint. I was hoping to hear a rave review, but glad you shared your opinion all the same.

Mine arrived tonight but I haven’t ridden it yet. I was on a XR for about 5 minutes a few months ago and recall being a bit wobbly, but not to the extent you mentioned. I was also able to idle on it without issue. That said, I hadn’t been riding EUC’s very long at that point so the forward-leaning muscle memory wasn’t dialed in, which I think helped. Also, it was almost certainly easier thanks to the larger XR tire.

I remember the first few days I was learning the EUC and literally thinking to myself “Shane Chen is a maniac. There’s no way this is possible for most of humanity”. I’m kinda anticipating that feeling again, especially now that I lean forward in my sleep (I.e not what one wants to do on a Onewheel).

Oh, yeah, and I almost busted my ass on the XR trying to get off the thing. I found bailing to be awkward and difficult without the board shooting off. I don’t think SimpleStop is going to help with the bail.

Judging from the legions of OW fans out there, I’m expecting the steep learning curve to be well worth it. Just like EUC. Don’t give up just yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I just testeed a Onewheel XR for the very first time.

I could immediately ride around with, of course with a bit of tension in my feet, but it went quite ok at a normal steady pace. The only thing I couldn't manage was turning it off by lifting one part of my front foot. I just hopped off when I wanted to stop. Wasn't comfortable enough to try going faster, but all in all I went A LOT further than my first 5 minutes on an euc :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tested my Pint in Yosemite all weekend with my wife. Very interesting results. I vlogged the trip and will upload once the edit is done. 

The short version: wife has been struggling with the EUC but took to the Pint in seconds (literally). She’s an exceptional snowboarder, so that probably has something to do with it. 

I was a wobbly at first but was able to slowly ride around the campsite within 20 minutes or so. At first, the thing made me really nervous; it rides like it’s “hunting”- or wandering/tramlining- over imperfections in the road. I have about 5 miles- roughly an hour- on it and am starting to understand the appeal a bit more. 

The OW is definitely a snowboard for the street and all that entails. EUC is somewhere between skiing and a snowmobile. I think eventually the OW will be super fun and it won’t take long to get there. I don’t see it as a transportation replacement for an EUC though. However, my wife completely disagrees. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, Lillian said:

It has a learning curve just like most PEVs.  If you saw my early One Wheel videos I fell, a lot, and most of the time it was coming to a stop when it happened.  The stock XR/Plus tire is much flatter so it actually is more stable, learning on a Pint to me would be tougher from a beginner standpoint because it is definitely more twitchy due to the tire profile.  Make sure you are in the beginner mode which speed limits and also makes the side to side motion a little less severe.  I strongly encourage you to work through the frustration, it will be worth it.  The OW riding experience to me, is more engaging and fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm afraid the limits of the Pint vs the +XR will be annoying after the "getting used to it" phase (same as buying a too small EUC), so I just got the XR. I tested one for the first time a week ago and it was pretty easy to get started with (I have skateboarding and obviously euc experience). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm afraid the limits of the Pint vs the +XR will be annoying after the "getting used to it" phase (same as buying a too small EUC), so I just got the XR. I tested one for the first time a week ago and it was pretty easy to get started with (I have skateboarding and obviously euc experience). 

And with the XR you can also do this:

https://shreddlabs.com/2019/05/22/onewheel-tire-review/

On August 15, 2019 at 4:16 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

Yes I can imagine that's what happened to you and it also happened to my wife when we were out riding. She hit an irregular asphalt wave on the road and fell like a pancake.
She has a tendency to fight the Onewheel. I asked her what happened and she answered "it disappeared from right under me." I got a bit annoyed to say the least and asked her if it was a rider error or a board error because if it's a board error then I don't want her to use that board again. After a long discussion about narcissism we came to the conclusion that it was rider error. I made her ride over the irregular part five times before we continued our journey. She never got to terms with the Onewheel and I ended up selling it. It was the most fun of all my PEVs though. However the fact that I could sell it and buy an 18XL with the money made it hard to keep.

On every clip where she was riding the Onewheel she would always be tensing and flexing her right hand. Which is a sign of her being extremely nervous. So I understand the horror part. Some people pick it up in 5 minutes and some people pick it up in 5 weeks.

I ride with my front foot at 45 degrees and my rear foot at closer to 90 degrees. I do not ride duck footed. My heel hangs over the side of the board on the front. My toes hang over the board on the rear. In this way with my small feet I am "in the middle". Turning is special. Riding at speed is special. If you practice on grass you will get overstimulated at balancing and turning and then it will feel like god mode when you get back to asphalt.

Also the man you mention... my friend Simon. He weighs around 100kg. Ain't no Onewheel gonna push him around. But when it comes to me... damn man I would have done the splits if I would have been stupid enough to leave my foot on the front sensor like that.  

Interested in Onewheel? Re-read this post. Truth!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I've taught a lot of people to ride the OW and for some reason, most people get it pretty quickly, but there are a few that just can't get it... my wife included. I don't know what it is. I'm sure if she stuck to it and practiced, she would eventually get it but she quickly lost interest. For the others that had a hard time figuring it out, having me go through the steps and encourage them really helped.

Did you have anyone personally show you how to ride and observe you as you ride?

I'm sorry it didn't work out. For me, I enjoy my EUC and OW for different purposes. Just because they are both electric and have one self balancing wheel, the experiences are vastly different. I hope to have a video about that on my YT channel in the near future.

@Mike Sacristan since you do some quality youtube videos, do a comparison of a onewheel and an EUC.  An objective comparison, hill climbing, off road riding capability, maneuverability, practicality, etc.  Post it on the onewheel reddit sub and facebook group.  I posted a written one on the onewheel owners group on facebook basically saying EUC have more capability than onewheel, and I had like 485 comments saying I'm crazy, EUCs are lame, and can't compete with onewheel.  

94FC7528-8F89-4440-ACCB-CEE025CFB480.jpeg

Edited by photorph
  • Like 2