The March 2019 Weight reduction Challenge

Smoother

39 minutes ago, Smoother said:

WOW 90 kg to 70 kg that's a significant drop.  even the up tick at the end looks more like a new equilibrium or did you cut off the rest of the chart?

As Thunderf00t mentioned, at some point it becomes second nature to eat less and I didn't see a point to stop and was curious where it goes. Also, I was scheduled to take on an acting role as an anorexic (just kidding). From this experience, I consider 77kg to be about ideal for me. The graph is cut by a few years :) and has remained to slowly fluctuate between 72kg and 80kg, mainly above 75kg though.

4 minutes ago, Mono said:

As Thunderf00t mentioned, at some point it becomes second nature to eat less and I didn't see a point to stop and was curious where it goes. Also, I was scheduled to take on an acting role as an anorexic (just kidding). From this experience, I consider 77kg to be about ideal for me. The graph is cut by a few years :) and has remained to slowly fluctuate between 72kg and 80kg, mainly above 75kg though.

Well done. 75 sounds about right for me actually.  I'm not as fat as I make myself out to be.  We'll see what the belly looks like at 75 and reevaluate at that point.

When I was researching the body weight question some time ago, the conclusion seemed to be that the best single predictor for health or life expectancy is neither weight nor BMI but belly circumference. For men, below 95cm is considered fine and above 102cm is considered high risk. The main problem is that it is more difficult to measure reliably. At least for me it correlates quite well with weight and 1cm means about 1.2-1.3kg.

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

When I was researching the body weight question some time ago, the conclusion seemed to be that the best single predictor for health or life expectancy is neither weight nor BMI but belly circumference. For men, below 95cm is considered fine and above 102cm is considered high risk. The main problem is that it is more difficult to measure reliably. At least for me it correlates quite well with weight and 1cm means about 1.2-1.3kg.

95cm! I was about to say I'm well under that but then I realized that my gut is bigger than my trouser waist size.  I just measured it at 98cm and change. so I guess a weekly gut measure is in order too.

17 hours ago, Smoother said:

95cm! I was about to say I'm well under that but then I realized that my gut is bigger than my trouser waist size.  I just measured it at 98cm and change. so I guess a weekly gut measure is in order too.

This suggests that your original idea to get rid of 5kg was exactly spot on.

23 hours ago, Mono said:

When I was researching the body weight question some time ago, the conclusion seemed to be that the best single predictor for health or life expectancy is neither weight nor BMI but belly circumference. 

Spot on!

Good job everybody! If it was easy to lose weight everybody would be slim.
I really want to lose those last cm around my waist and have been working on it since december.

The formula for calculating this for a man is rather easy.
Height / 2 = circumference around the navel. Higher then that is usually an indicator of bad health.
A tiny bit lower than that gives a more athletic look.
Harder and harder to achieve with age though. Belly fat has a tendency to want to stick around and is the last to go.
When measuring just measure around the navel or where you are the fattest. 

Mon. 18th AM 79kg.

Tue.  19th AM 79kg

Wed. 20th AM 79kg

Thurs. 21st. AM 79.5kg :furious:

Fri. 22nd. 79kg

Sat. 23rd 79kg

Sun 24th. 78.5kg

Mon. 25th 78.5kg

Tue. 26th 78.5kg

Wed 27th 78.1kg :clap3:a new low.

Thurs. 28th 78.5kg 

Fri. 29th. 78.1kg

Sat. 30th. 78kg :clap3:a new, new low

3 minutes ago, nute said:

I was 229.8 lbs this morning, I'm wasting away, if i turned sideways id be invisible :)

0.2lbs ! Wow! steady on there speedy Gonzales, you'll put me and @Unventor to shame.  You and Kevin Bacon; invisible! Who knew!

I'm at 219 pounds and my goal is to get back down to 170 pounds which I was at 4 years ago, having gone from 230 to 170 the previous year. Basically I'll lose a pound a week by not eating sugars and bread.

Unfortunately that is hard for me to do. The weight come on gradually while coming off even slower.

Amusingly, I don't feel unhealthy or slow, but man I look good at 170, so it's pure vanity.

Only just found this thread.

I'm down 80lbs since last July (250-170) and haven't felt this healthy in years. Have been full keto since I started with no cheat days, and tbh I don't think of it as "cheating" any more. This is a way of life for me now and I highly recommend it!

5 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Only just found this thread.

I'm down 80lbs since last July (250-170) and haven't felt this healthy in years. Have been full keto since I started with no cheat days, and tbh I don't think of it as "cheating" any more. This is a way of life for me now and I highly recommend it!

That's great.  Full Keto?  I'll look it up.

Keto has absolutely changed my life, so apologies if I sound like a cult-member when I talk about it.

@Smoothergo check out reddit.com/r/keto and check out some of the links on the right hand side. It's an amazing community of supportive people who are all seeing incredible results. You never feel hungry, your relationship with food changes entirely. Couldn't recommend it more.

35 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Keto has absolutely changed my life, so apologies if I sound like a cult-member when I talk about it.

@Smoothergo check out reddit.com/r/keto and check out some of the links on the right hand side. It's an amazing community of supportive people who are all seeing incredible results. You never feel hungry, your relationship with food changes entirely. Couldn't recommend it more.

I had a look there, but felt like the new kid in school, so I hopped over to here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Very interesting.  I'm going to be studying this for a bit. Fortunately I love fat so I may gel well with this.  Thanks for pointing me/us to this.

EDIT:  Man do I have a lot of the wrong stuff in my pantry (a lot of it recently purchased too).  This is going to take some getting used to.

Just now, Smoother said:

I had a look there, but felt like the new kid in school, so I hopped over to here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Very interesting.  I'm going to be studying this for a bit. Fortunately I love fat so I may gel well with this.  Thanks for pointing me/us to this.

Yeah Dietdoctor is also good, I do recommend the subreddit though. Happy to talk you through any questions you might have.

After a brief flirtation with 232lbs following a weekend of curry and beer I'm now at 228 and dropping slowly. I can't say I'm really  putting my back into it but I'm just trying to avoid all the bad snacks. Ive not had a pack of sports mix for ages and they were my real Achilles heel, i have a bit of an addiction to them esp when the co-op is knocking them out at £1/bag...

1 hour ago, nute said:

After a brief flirtation with 232lbs following a weekend of curry and beer I'm now at 228 and dropping slowly. I can't say I'm really  putting my back into it but I'm just trying to avoid all the bad snacks. Ive not had a pack of sports mix for ages and they were my real Achilles heel, i have a bit of an addiction to them esp when the co-op is knocking them out at £1/bag...

It's moving in the right direction.

Snack reduction and portion size are my M.O. right now.  One day I might go shopping for some Keto supplies so I can create an actual meal with not carb items.  I'm hovering around 78kg right now.  Aiming for 76kg by E.O.M

While I’m not participating on the actual challenge, I decided to pop in after all. I’m very happy to see the ketogenic mentioned! My x couldn’t stop talking about how it’s amazing not to feel hunger or crave for snacks, and most importantly how peaceful, calm and balanced it made her feel even before the weight started to come down. I still haven’t started a full-on keto myself, but I’m happily going in that direction.

Based on everything I’ve learned through the years, the single most important factor in losing weight/circumference is simply carbs. You really have to calculate a few of your portions to understand how much carbs you eat. For me the awakening was just my regular portion of rice: 110g of carbs! Low carb diet has a limit of 50g per day, keto has 20g.

But it’s not just about tossing the carbs of course, since if you don’t replace the lost energy intake, you will have cravings and your diet will likely faceplant pretty soon. Replace the carbs with proteins and good quality fats and you are on a golden path.

It was also an important point that while a complete lifestyle overhaul might give great results for a while, it is very rare to be able to keep it that way. Likewise, if you skip breakfast, you will compensate for it in the evening which is actually worse. It should be the other way around.

Another thing is stress about your diet. A friend of mine started a diet with her sister, calculating and limiting their calory intake. They both gained weight! Stopped the diet and started losing weight right away.

I’ve always been a sucker for desserts, and I eat my blueperry pie on most days. But the pie is made with zero sugar and zero flour, so the carb content is reasonable (to me). Blueberries are 10% carbs, other ingredients 0-2%.

Good luck everybody, whichever path you have chosen!

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

diet will likely faceplant pretty soon

Thanks, yet another way to face plant :(

I think, that your post has pushed me to head towards keto in a more accelerated way, even if I have to toss out some bread products (swans and ducks will probably be the beneficiaries)

I like meat and I like fat, so things are looking up. :D Once I stock the kitchen with keto friendly products, it will be much easier to follow. Yesterday I had a keto breakfast (boiled eggs and bacon) but when I tried to put together a keto dinner, everything I reached for had carbs in it, even a can of corn was too high to count.

I have put the weight loss on hold.

I had planed to swim a few times a week to loose weight, but with my dislocated shoulder accident it is a little postponed.

16 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have put the weight loss on hold.

I had planed to swim a few times a week to loose weight, but with my dislocated shoulder accident it is a little postponed.

Some people will do anything to put off weight loss.:roflmao:

Archived