The March 2019 Weight reduction Challenge

Smoother

So it turns out that @Unventor and I have similar weight reduction targets, for the remainder of this month.  We're trying to reach 75kg which in my case means losing 4 to 5 kg (8.8 to 11lb)

Because this forum membership is predominantly middle aged men, there is a chance that more than a few of you could also benefit from losing a few kg.

So, Who's brave enough to join us?  It's not important that you achieve the goal, what's important is that you recognize you need to do something about your weight, and that as part of this challenge you consider your diet, and exercise, and hopefully lose some extra weight in the process.

EDIT I've copied my progress chart here, more for my convenience more than anything else.

Mon. 18th AM 79kg.

Tue.  19th AM 79kg

Wed. 20th AM 79kg

Thurs. 21st. AM 79.5kg 

Fri. 22nd. 79kg

Sat. 23rd 79kg

Sun 24th. 78.5kg

Mon. 25th 78.5kg

Tue. 26th 78.5kg

Wed 27th 78.1kg a new low.

Thurs. 28th 78.5kg 

Fri. 29th. 78.1kg

Sat. 30th. 78kg a new, new low

Sun. 31st. 78.5kg 

So that's it for the last half of March.  I didn't try very hard but I'm still down 4 to 5 kg from where I was at the beginning of the month. Hopefully in April I can knock off a coupe more kg and get it to 76kg.

Following @Marty Backes system, If you want to participate, simply post your morning weight as frequently as possible, and maybe your personal target, in your first post.

GOAL: 75kg

This morning I weighed: 79kg

(down from around 83kg or so  last week.)

Well I were 80.0kg this morning.

My initially goal before this was cooked up was 75kg. I am listed as 178 cm in passport (with shoes on)

However as weather looks right now I can't ride this much as I would like. Rain and cold weather sweeping in. So I will see it I can ride to swim center tomorrow. 

Plan A....hmm plan B?...

Note: I am crap at loosing weight. Simply due to I fail to find something I can do as exercise. EUC has been my best result so far. So join in for the fun, I promise any can fo better than me😉 

12/03 80.0kg

13/03 80.1kg

14/03 80.2kg not going in right direction...:( back up plan kicking in on saturday....if weather allow it.

15/03 80.3kg plan b, long EUC ride compared to lately, 20-35km and a pitstop at local swim hall for 1 hour swim. First time for like 25-30 years.

16/03 didn't get data for today. Just looking at wrather outside I postponed plan b untill tomorrow 🙄

10 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well I were 80.0kg this morning.

My initially goal before this was cooked up was 75kg.

However as weather looks right now I can't ride this much as I would like. Rain and cold weather sweeping in. So I will see it I can ride to swim center tomorrow. 

Plan A....hmm plan B?...

Note: I am crap at loosing weight. Simply due to I fail to find something I can do as exercise. EUC has been my best result so far. So join in for the fun, I promise any can fo better than me😉 

Are you starting to back pedal already?  It hasn't been 1 hour yet!:facepalm:

As for exercise, I don't do any and I have still managed to lose 4 or 5 kg in the last week or so.  I've changed my diet a bit, but do not feel in the least bit deprived ( I eat cake with butter icing for gauds sake!).  However, now we have a goal, I think I'm going to get serious.  In fact, I just ran up and down the stairs a dozen or so times.  Amazing what setting a goal will do.

54 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Are you starting to back pedal already?  It hasn't been 1 hour yet!:facepalm:

As for exercise, I don't do any and I have still managed to lose 4 or 5 kg in the last week or so.  I've changed my diet a bit, but do not feel in the least bit deprived ( I eat cake with butter icing for gauds sake!).  However, now we have a goal, I think I'm going to get serious.  In fact, I just ran up and down the stairs a dozen or so times.  Amazing what setting a goal will do.

So you need to film it😁

I didn't back out, just setting a modest expatation 😏

Just seen this, I have been thinking i should loose a bit lately. Im significantly heavier than you guys tho, although i am 6'4". Ill weigh myself tomorrow and post it. Just off to visit  the fridge now tho ... :)

Thurs AM 80kg still no change. Grrrr!:furious:

No cake last night, not even a sliver.  This morning I cut the cake up and tupperwared it into the fridge.  I'm too cheap to throw good food away, but I do want to try and hit this target, so the cake goes into storage.  Maybe I'll lock up the other snack type foods that haven't tempted me yet, but there's always tomorrow and tomorrow..

Hi @nute  !5 days to the EOM.  Maybe set a modest goal for now.  Use the time to get the pantry in order, you know, get rid of (not by eating) all the good stuff that is so bad for us; get some of the good stuff in.  In April we can maybe look at a month's worth of goal setting.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thurs AM 80kg still no change. Grrrr!:furious:

No cake last night, not even a sliver.  This morning I cut the cake up and tupperwared it into the fridge.  I'm too cheap to throw good food away, but I do want to try and hit this target, so the cake goes into storage.  Maybe I'll lock up the other snack type foods that haven't tempted me yet, but there's always tomorrow and tomorrow..

Hi @nute  !5 days to the EOM.  Maybe set a modest goal for now.  Use the time to get the pantry in order, you know, get rid of (not by eating) all the good stuff that is so bad for us; get some of the good stuff in.  In April we can maybe look at a month's worth of goal setting.

The most important number is the weekly average that you calculate. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis, sometimes even going up. But over a 7-day period there will be a decline if you've reduced your intact below your daily requirement.

So it really takes 14-days to see your real progress. If the 2nd weekly average (calculated on the 14th morning) has not gone down, you need to decrease your cake consumption :)

56 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The most important number is the weekly average that you calculate. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis, sometimes even going up. But over a 7-day period there will be a decline if you've reduced your intact below your daily requirement.

So it really takes 14-days to see your real progress. If the 2nd weekly average (calculated on the 14th morning) has not gone down, you need to decrease your cake consumption :)

Fluctuation? That would be a fine thing.  Its been reading 80kg morning and night for 4 days now. I think my scales are broken. I'll get it down soon.  The more I see no gain, the more dietary "supliments! I  will give up.  Actually there's not much left.  Portion size and exercise is the way forward now.

@nute so what do you think is an attainable goal by the EOM? 227? 226? Start looking at what is keeping your weight at 230.  You know what your issues are, we all do.  Whether its cakes or sweets, or bread, or potatoes, portion size, or little or no exercise. We all know on some level what we are doing wrong. Start to eliminate/reduce the problem items.  Maybe use the rest of March to get ready for a good shot at April.

5 minutes ago, nute said:

...didnt realise there was a weigh in at the end of the month. Probably can do 3-4 lbs by then. Ill get my hair cut on March 30th, that should help :)

There's a weigh in every day buddy ;) (reporting is optional, of course) charting is important as @Marty Backe, showed, and being accountable to someone else (in this case several hundred forum members) has a positive motivational factor.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, Smoother said:

Thurs 14th a hair under 80kg. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Try more protein intake. 

Still 230, and i didn't have my normal pack of crisps with lunch yesterday.

Unfortunately i have a pub lunch with friends tomorrow but have resolved to go without breakfast and poss dinner. 

1 hour ago, nute said:

Still 230, and i didn't have my normal pack of crisps with lunch yesterday.

Unfortunately i have a pub lunch with friends tomorrow but have resolved to go without breakfast and poss dinner. 

Whoa there!  Don't go crazy or you'll make it easier to fall off the wagon.  The trick is to design the wagon so you don't feel hardship riding on it. How about a half way position?: a smaller breakfast (or healthier breakfast) and likewise for dinner.

Apart from losing water etc, with a zero diet one can lose around 300g (fat) per day. Otherwise, a realistic schedule is probably losing around 70-100g per day or 2-3kg per month by eating 60-70% of the usual amount (of calories). That is hard to measure day by day, so you have to trust your schedule and check back over longer periods of time. A similar conclusion drawn by a well-known Youtuber:

28 minutes ago, Mono said:

Otherwise, a realistic schedule is probably losing around 70-100g per day or 2-3kg per month

EDIT: The video guy says a 100g per day (average) target is extreme, so lets cut that in half to 50g a day, 500g every ten days 1.5kg (3.3lb)every 30 days (month)

So I'm going to make my adjusted target for this 1/2 month 750g off 79kg = 78.25kg and 1.5kg  for April

No I hadn't seen that one. Thanks.  It ended before I joined the forum, mostly.  Yours was the last contiguous post before a couple of random pops ups last year.

Todays' weigh in: 79.25kg.  I see a trend developing (fingers crossed)

I took the body weight recordings (starting from dieting) in the above vid and compared to mine:

weights.png.bbd95c8cd6857c3e37bc2686da07bd63.png

The continued weight loss per day is quite similar, 85g over 50 days and just under 80g over 200+ days.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

I took the body weight recordings (starting from dieting) in the above vid and compared to mine:

weights.png.bbd95c8cd6857c3e37bc2686da07bd63.png

The continued weight loss per day is quite similar, 85g over 50 days and just under 80g over 200+ days.

WOW 90 kg to 70 kg that's a significant drop.  even the up tick at the end looks more like a new equilibrium or did you cut off the rest of the chart?

Archived