Airwheel X3 vs. Kingsong KS14 M

svas

Airwheel still exists? ;)  If even anywhere near the same price, forget about the Airwheel immediately, although you might want to save up and get something with a decent battery (KS14M is 174Wh?).

The topic title looks like from 3 years ago, which in the EUC wold is two lifetimes.

Those old (low powered, small battery) wheels are generally not very safe. Not worth their asking price, no matter how cheap IMO.

A 320Wh battery is sufficient for a learner wheel, but won’t get you in in the hobby, and you’ll grow out in a few weeks. I’d consider 680Wh the absolute minimum. Current wheels are 1000Wh and above. Remember, an announced range of 30miles translates to 10-15 miles of actual riding.

Currently 2000W motor is the standard for 16” and larger wheels. 1000W is ok for medium speeds for a medium weight rider. No reason to go much under that.

Tell us how you plan on using your wheel (and your weight) and we’ll be able to suggest some models.

Yes, here are the specs on the Kingsong KS14 M:

Max speed: 20 km/h
Range: 10-15 km
Engine power: 500W (max. 1500W)
Weight: 12 kg
Automatiical drive lights front and back
Battery: Panasonic Lithium 174wh
LED light
Bluetooth app

Last night I read a few articles on the Airwheel. It said that there might be a problem with the battery cutting off when not fully charged and that this was one of the reasons not to buy the Airwheel. Well, and that the top speed was too low too. Are these the reasons I would use to get the Kingsong KS14 M instead, you think?

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Tell us how you plan on using your wheel (and your weight) and we’ll be able to suggest some models.

I just became a father so I want to use the EUC to push the stroller. I also would like to go the the supermarked on those short rides. Sometimes I'd like to use it for work. Most of these rides are 4 km round trip. Work is 10 km round trip. I weight 80 kg and would like to, for the most part, use it as a tool.

2 hours ago, svas said:

I just became a father so I want to use the EUC to push the stroller.

Quite a few red flags there pal.

1) The EUC is an inherently unstable vehicle. At slow speeds you would be forced to take most your vertical keeping support from the stroller. It should be the other way round.

2) You can’t see stones and other irregularities on the road very well. This is the number one thing we have to monitor during riding. Even a small stone will make a 14” wheel hesitate a bit if you’re not prepared for it. This will easily throw off your balance and you will fall forward, taking support from the stroller and quite possibly taking it down with you.

3) With an EUC you are slow to react to dangerous situations, and it is a bit hard to go precisely from where you plan. Pushing an empty stroller might be a fun challenge at an empty parking lot, but it is not a combination suitable for public sidewalks, crossings etc.

I would never ever push a baby in a stroller while on any self-balancing vehicle. Or a bicycle, which the EUC sort of replaces. Or any vehicle perioid. Our own ass is ours to ruin, but there is a whole different level of responsibility involved when talking about another person. A newborn baby in this case. Geez.

Most of these rides are 4 km round trip. Work is 10 km round trip. I weight 80 kg and would like to, for the most part, use it as a tool.

You don’t want to ride on an empty battery, or just barely get where you’re going. That’s why you need a lot more range than you plan on using. In addition, the freedom that an EUC brings makes it possible and almost always preferred to take the long road.

If you want an EUC for your own trips, invest a few steps up. You are needed as a dad, you really don’t want to brake your bones right now with an age old, outdated and dangerous wheel.

Kingsong KS-16S or perhaps an Inmotion V8 could be fine wheels for your personal trips.

I had an X3 four years ago, and thought it was an awful wheel even back then! Only ever used it to teach friends to ride, and told them to invest on a better EUC as soon as they learnt.

The main issue is it has very low power, and doesn't take much to overpower it... a little pot hole or even a ramp on a sidewalk!  Even if your trips are short, try to go for something with a bigger battery to give you that extra power and security.  A ks14S, V8 or even a V5F or a Ninebot One E+ if you don't want to spend much money would be good starter wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Airwheel X3 and had the same thought: it would be fun to push my daughter in the stroller.

It turns out to be extremely difficult and dangerous. To balance on the Airwheel, you need to be able to make slight lateral movements constantly and you find yourself fighting the stroller which just wants to go straight.

Add to that the fact that if you encounter an obstacle and need to dismount quickly (or fall) the natural reaction is to lean on the stroller handle, tipping it over backwards.

I thought about how much fun it would be for months to take long rides, but it took about 10 seconds to see that it would never work.

Also, the Airwheel sucks. It's very low powered and it absolutely does have the problem of the motor cutting out.

Just search for Airwheel BMS for more info. If you already got one and it's too late, either wait for your accident then try to return it or fix it by soldering a single wire.

Archived