fireproof EUC charging station

If you have a private garage, the most practical one I've found is below.
$180 shipped (USA).

Put it in the garage so the smoke doesn't destroy the interior of your home.

If you notice a fire starting, roll it out the door.
If you're not home, your garage gets smoky but not fiery.

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/ultrahdr-2-door-rolling-lockable-storage-cabinet-28-w-x-18-d-x-34-5-h-granite-gray.html

uhd20227b_rolling_cabinet_beauty_1.jpg

Edited by RagingGrandpa
showing URL
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only if you make it one Don't forget we are dealing with batteries encased in round cells, not your average quadcopter pouch LiPos. I'm in the "fpv" community, and the euc community, and LiPo fir

For safety and awareness: You can absolutely extinguish lithium battery fires!!   The battery usually contains such small amounts of lithium metal, during the failure that cause fire, the lithium

It is mainly because lithium fire ≠ li-ion battery fire..

30 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

$180 shipped (USA).

I wonder how that would look at @Marty Backe place? It probably be a US continental freight train equivalent 😉

Edited by Unventor

A proper cabinet vented outside would be amazing, but for now, I'm going on with a fire blanket permanently covering the wheel. The wall it is next to is from bricks, the floor concrete and with the blanket on, the fire has no chance of get nearby of anything flammable except an extension power cord - but those should be from a fire retardant plastics. Smoke... that's a risk I have to live with. :D

I think this is a very easy and cheap solution available to plenty of people. It's not the best solution, but <insert your proverb about partial but applied solutions being better than an ideal one that's not implemented>

Edited by Zopper

Just get a shipping container! They're remarkably cheap, roomy, and from the eWheels pictures are proven effective at containment... the boat didn't catch on fire. Myth Busters did most all of their fire stuff in one. Homeowners association and landlord opinions aside of course.

Edited by Tawpie
1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

$180 shipped (USA).

Link?

On 1/14/2021 at 11:53 AM, Tawpie said:

Just get a shipping container! They're remarkably cheap, roomy, and from the eWheels pictures are proven effective at containment... the boat didn't catch on fire. Myth Busters did most all of their fire stuff in one. Homeowners association and landlord opinions aside of course.

I thought of that too. They now make a smaller shipping container. 
https://www.atscontainers.com/en/Products/New-containers/Product/8-New-Mini-Container

For anyone concerned with the enclosure melting, you can add some cheap fire-rated drywall (gysum board) and/or paint the inside with intumescent paint (also fairly cheap for non-commercial grade).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firetect-WT-102-1-gal-White-Flat-Latex-Intumescent-Fireproofing-Flame-Retardant-Paint-Coating-for-Wood-102W-1/307899625

This paint goes on thin but expands quickly in a fire and is used commonly on architecturally exposed structural steel or wood to achieve fire resistance.

It may even help if you applied this paint on the inner shell/battery packs. Won't stop the fire necessarily but may buy you some extra time to throw it outdoors. Ideally, it'll contain the thermal runaway to one battery pack and prevent the second (or more) from igniting.

1 hour ago, conecones said:

For anyone concerned with the enclosure melting, you can add some cheap fire-rated drywall (gysum board) and/or paint the inside with intumescent paint (also fairly cheap for non-commercial grade).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firetect-WT-102-1-gal-White-Flat-Latex-Intumescent-Fireproofing-Flame-Retardant-Paint-Coating-for-Wood-102W-1/307899625

This paint goes on thin but expands quickly in a fire and is used commonly on architecturally exposed structural steel or wood to achieve fire resistance.

It may even help if you applied this paint on the inner shell/battery packs. Won't stop the fire necessarily but may buy you some extra time to throw it outdoors. Ideally, it'll contain the thermal runaway to one battery pack and prevent the second (or more) from igniting.

Great idea!  Here is a project I found to build a "Battery bunker" cinder blocks with gypsum cement board you will have to upscale the idea but seems sound.