First 40+ km/h wipe-out

travsformation

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

At any speed above 18mph or so, you have to consider yourself lucky to walk away without fractures.

Unfortunately, an EUC is different from say a human-powered bicycle, rollerblades, or skateboard. With those vehicles I always felt like I was winning if I was crashing and learning, but with EUCs winning means simply not crashing. Rather than exploring what you can do, you end up riding fairly conservatively. Even dirtbikes I do take risks, especially around slower speeds, as crashes are slow, predictable, and don't seem to do any damage to the bike.

In contrast, while EUCs seem to do just fine in crashes, the rider isn't so lucky. In a bicycle crash you seem to have some control in getting off, but an EUC just throws you head first into the ground. Every single time. Even my stupid Segway S1 has thrown me hard head first when I unsuccessfully bounced up the smallest curb you ever saw, at the slowest speed that isn't going backwards.

I believe the reason EUC are so difficult in slips and crashes is that in any other vehicle when a wheel slides you usually still have some balance in one direction, but when an EUC wheel slips you lose everything. Basically every crash on an EUC is the same as braking hard on a bicycle/motorcycle and you lock up the front wheel

On 3/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, Smoother said:

IMG_2530

:roflmao: hahahaa That made my day! :cheers:

I would like to make one correction, one clarification and one request though:

• Correction: In my defence, and as you mentioned in another post, on late-night rides, the sub humans come out of hiding. Any chance you could replace Mr. Average Driver with Sub-human or Homicidal driver? Then I'll definitely be framing this and hanging it on the wall! :efefa6edcf:
  • Clarification: That poor speed bump had done nothing at all to me... I'm the one who pounced on it with no warning! :efee612b4b:
  • Request: May I get another certificate for my contributions to the EUC community in the form of lengthiest compendium of ramblings / "Holy Walls of Text"? :D

On 3/13/2019 at 12:59 AM, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks a lot !!!

So much derailed information!

BTW, I couldn't help but laugh at this comment. Not sure whether that was a typo and you actually wanted to say detailed, or it was intentional, but  made me laugh all the same :cheers:

Guest PogArt Artur
45 minutes ago, travsformation said:

BTW, I couldn't help but laugh at this comment. Not sure whether that was a typo and you actually wanted to say detailed, or it was intentional, but  made me laugh all the same :cheers:

Hahahaaa !!!

Obviously keyboard typing mistake , lol !

I even don't know what does mean that word?

I hope not anything nasty, lol , hahahaaa ;)

On 3/14/2019 at 1:21 PM, Lutalo said:

Glad that you are okay man. You are pushing yourself, and that's good, but it also introduces more risk; especially at night.

I don't have any data on how inattention rates as a cause of mishaps, but I would imagine it's right up there.

My inattention was certainly responsible for the faceplant I took yesterday.

I am strolling along on my XL on an unusually nice day picking up a trail that cuts through a school yard. Well, the mini jocks were outside for  practice.

I decide to use the KS app to check my ride stats. I decided that it wasn't necessary to stop first to check the app so I kept strolling along the trail past the kiddies while checking the app. Well, a rolls into my path. I see it at the instant my tire is about to make contact. There was no time to react. The Kenda contacts the ball. The ball stops. The XL stops. I keep going :o:o. I was very fortunate that the wheel and I landed on the grass. I sustained no injuries and the wheel didn't even get a scratch.

After all the kiddies ran over to check on me; understandable, but only heightened the embarrassment of the entire situation, I assured them that I was okay jumped back on the XL and continued on my ride. Of course, after the collision with the I was on high alert. 

My fall must have looked a lot nastier than it actually was because one of the mini jocks took charge of the situation screaming out as she made her way toward me; "someone call 911!" :laughbounce2:

Thanks man!

Glad your inattention-caused FP was on grass and didn't end in injury or wheel damage either! (Walking away with nothing but a bruised ego is a blessing, even if it doesn't feel like one at the time). Too bad the attention you got from the soccer moms wasn't the ideal type of attention either... :efee612b4b:

Phones and definitely a massive source of distraction. Haven' had any mishaps of that sort yet, as it's illegal to use them here while riding, but when I do use navigation on my phone (Google Maps for errands in parts of the city I'm not familiar with yet, and Komoot for pre-planned leisure rides), voice guidance isn't always too helpful (warns of turns too early, too late), so I do occasionally have to glance at my phone. I generally slow down and scan the area first, and glance at the screen as quickly as possible, but that doesn't rule out the unexpected, like balls flying towards me or dogs running out in front of me....So the safest option would probably be to avoid looking at the phone at all while in motion...

18 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Hahahaaa !!!

Hahahaha I suspected it was a typo, which makes it even funnier!

To "derail" is to go off-topic and deviate from the original subject, which I'm an (unintentional) expert at  :efee612b4b:

So me giving you "derailed information" (instead of "detailed information") is still a very accurate statement ;)

BTW, have you ordered the flashlight you linked to before yet?

BINWO Super Bright 2000 Lumen Rechargeable Handheld Mini CREE LED Torch Light, Adjustable Focus, 5 Modes, Led Flashlight for Hiking Biking Camping and other Outdoor Sports, with Batteries & Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0794RK24N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gpzICb1CYGSHM

In my opinion, the only disadvantage I see is the position of the on/off  button. Something with the button on the top side would be more comfortable/easier to operate.

Maybe something like this or this would be a batter choice (additionally, lamps specifically made for bicycles tend to have a wider spread of the beam so they illuminate the sides better than a normal torch) :)

6 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Hahahaaa !!!

Actually, Although @travsformation was laughing at the meaning of derailed as it is used on this forum, the  actual word refers to the act of a removing a wheeled vehicle that runs on rails, such as a train, from the rails it runs on.  Usually it is an unintentional act such as when the driver goes too fast around a corner, and the train derails (comes off the rails unintentionally).

It seems to be a competition here. First you read this stuff and think OMGWTFBBQ a crash at 40km/h, that's pretty fast

Next thing you know someone posts a video of a guy falling at 40 ... MPH :efee78d764:

Guest PogArt Artur
22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Actually, Although @travsformation was laughing at the meaning of derailed as it is used on this forum, the  actual word refers to the act of a removing a wheeled vehicle that runs on rails, such as a train, from the rails it runs on.  Usually it is an unintentional act such as when the driver goes too fast around a corner, and the train derails (comes off the rails unintentionally).

Cheers!!!

I've done quick online search,and all I found was some info about TV movie series DERAILED ?

Thanks for your time Smoother!

Your explanation is perfect, and I'll try to remember that word ;)

I'm Polish, so no everything it's obvious to me,and never will be unfortunately.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

It seems to be a competition here. First you read this stuff and think OMGWTFBBQ a crash at 40km/h, that's pretty fast

Next thing you know someone posts a video of a guy falling at 40 ... MPH :efee78d764:

Lets hope next one isn't 40 m/s (144 km/h/90 mph) :blink::blink:

Though it would be difficult to get an EUC to that speed :efefb6a84e:

5 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Cheers!!!

I've done quick online search,and all I found was some info about TV movie series DERAILED ?

Thanks for your time Smoother!

Your explanation is perfect, and I'll try to remember that word ;)

I'm Polish, so no everything it's obvious to me,and never will be unfortunately.

Cheers!

I was telling @meepmeepmayer today over a beer, that I thought you were Polish.  We were talking about how you cannot assume a member is from the country where they are writing from.  If that was the case it would make me Spanish, because that's where I was when I started posting, or was it France? France.  Hey I'm French!

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I was telling @meepmeepmayer today over a beer, that I thought you were Polish.  We were talking about how you cannot assume a member is from the country where they are writing from.  If that was the case it would make me Spanish, because that's where I was when I started posting, or was it France? France.  Hey I'm French!

Lol ;)

I moved to UK in 2004...

Unfortunately English isn't my mother's tongue, so all the time I'm picking up something new, lol :)

Archived