First 40+ km/h wipe-out

travsformation

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Please do not go seeking the Death Wobble. A 'near death wobble'  is not the same thing.

I believe whether you recover from a true Death Wobble or not is to a large degree luck. So please, don't push your luck - I'd like to enjoy more rides with you :)

It's not a going out of my way to get a death wobble, it's more a psychological always be ready to deal with it, should it occur. That part of me that wants to be able to control it should it arise again . Believe me, I'm not wanting a death wobble, just wanting the super human skills it takes to overcome it, should it happen again. 🧙‍♂️ And yes! More riding soon! I'm available in Orange County area this weekend for night rides. Client is putting me up at the Hyatt in Garden Grove 16-18th...lmk! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm curious regarding the flash light please...

Tomorrow I'll receive my first wheel E+, there's no lights,and I'm going use the wheel mostly for commuting, any weather, nights as well...

I'm hardly thinking WHAT LIGHT  ;)

Could you tell me some more what flash light is you're using, are you hold it in your hand, or it's mounted?

I use a "Bigo" 900 lm bicycle headlight. It's very bright and strikes a nice balance between focused light and spread. On the V8 I mounted it on the handle (the velcro GoPro-style mount comes with the light):

4t994j.jpg

It worked well enough, but with two main problems:

1. No matter how you adjust it (height-wise), the beam's height wil constantly vary. On steep up-hills (just like the EUC's factory light), it'll shine directly in front of the wheel, not giving you any long-distance visibility. On steep downhills, when braking hard, it'll provide great illumination of tree-tops, but not much of the road ahead of you :efee612b4b:  And even on flat ground, the beam will end up too low when accelerating and too high when braking...
  2. I got a lot of complaints from pedestrians because it was too bright, even on "low light" mode (it has 3 modes: high, low and strobe/flashing). And although not being an a**hole to pedestrians was important to me, I was also concerned about blinding oncoming cars (not a good thing...)

When I bought the 18XL, mounting it on the wheel was more complicated, so I mounted it on my helmet (which was difficult because of the curvature). But that didn't work out either, as I ended up blinding even more people by accident :efee612b4b:

It was  @Marty Backe who suggested using it like a flashlight. I initially didn't like it and found it to be a pain in the @$$, but once you get used to it, it works great: you have total control of where you focus the beam, so you can shine it a far distance ahead of you when riding fast on pavement (like an extension of the wheel's headlight), or right in front of you, if off-roading, for example. Of course, you can do the same thing with a helmet-mounted light, but in this case, you have the advantage that the light is always in your hand, so it's much easier to switch it on and off depending on whether you need it (which saves battery), and great to be able to put in flashing mode (without having to search the button on top of your helmet) when approaching an intersection or blind curve, to warn drivers that you're approaching.

Which bike light you get depends on the use you intend on giving it (wheel-mounted, helmet-mounted, handheld, etc.). I'd say get something compact and lightweight with several different mounts is the best bet, so you can try different options and see what works best for you. As to power, I wouldn't get anything below 700 lumens; mine is 900 and works great, but there are similar ones with 1200 LM or more. Also, worth getting something with a rechargeable battery (USB). It's more more convenient than replacing batteries.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your first wheel! :D

When riding my Ninebot I use two flashlights. One mounted on the handle pointing slightly down and one handheld.
Handheld is so that I can direct the beam, point down, flash at people, protect myself from cars, etc.
I also have a rear red light mounted on my backpack, or back of helmet.

Most importantly though...

image.thumb.png.a09d52ec9aebf6aa1b317b3e1577e716.png

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, travsformation said:

I use a "Bigo" 900 lm bicycle headlight. It's very bright and strikes a nice balance between focused light and spread. On the V8 I mounted it on the handle (the velcro GoPro-style mount comes with the light):

4t994j.jpg

1. No matter how you adjust it (height-wise), the beam's height wil constantly vary. On steep up-hills (just like the EUC's factory light), it'll shine directly in front of the wheel, not giving you any long-distance visibility. On steep downhills, when braking hard, it'll provide great illumination of tree-tops, but not much of the road ahead of you :efee612b4b:  And even on flat ground, the beam will end up too low when accelerating and too high when braking...
  2. I got a lot of complaints from pedestrians because it was too bright, even on "low light" mode (it has 3 modes: high, low and strobe/flashing). And although not being an a**hole to pedestrians was important to me, I was also concerned about blinding oncoming cars (not a good thing...)

When I bought the 18XL, mounting it on the wheel was more complicated, so I mounted it on my helmet (which was difficult because of the curvature). But that didn't work out either, as I ended up blinding even more people by accident :efee612b4b:

It was  @Marty Backe who suggested using it like a flashlight. I initially didn't like it and found it to be a pain in the @$$, but once you get used to it, it works great: you have total control of where you focus the beam, so you can shine it a far distance ahead of you when riding fast on pavement (like an extension of the wheel's headlight), or right in front of you, if off-roading, for example. Of course, you can do the same thing with a helmet-mounted light, but in this case, you have the advantage that the light is always in your hand, so it's much easier to switch it on and off depending on whether you need it (which saves battery), and great to be able to put in flashing mode (without having to search the button on top of your helmet) when approaching an intersection or blind curve, to warn drivers that you're approaching.

Which bike light you get depends on the use you intend on giving it (wheel-mounted, helmet-mounted, handheld, etc.). I'd say get something compact and lightweight with several different mounts is the best bet, so you can try different options and see what works best for you. As to power, I wouldn't get anything below 700 lumens; mine is 900 and works great, but there are similar ones with 1200 LM or more. Also, worth getting something with a rechargeable battery (USB). It's more more convenient than replacing batteries.

Thanks a lot !!!

So much derailed information!

I wouldn't even guessed the issues you've mention, because without any experience I simply couldn't imagine how the light source works up or down hills  ;)

Thanks!

So to assume - you keep your light in hand, and on flash mode you pointing the light strobe the direction you need - did I get it right? ;)

I felt a bit sorry for not going for Inmotion wheel, where the head light is fitted, but after reading your post, I don't think that that light feature is perfect ;)

Thanks for great advices and descriptions!

Awesome  ;)

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

When riding my Ninebot I use two flashlights. One mounted on the handle pointing slightly down and one handheld.
Handheld is so that I can direct the beam, point down, flash at people, protect myself from cars, etc.
I also have a rear red light mounted on my backpack, or back of helmet.

Most importantly though...

image.thumb.png.a09d52ec9aebf6aa1b317b3e1577e716.png

Thanks!

I were thinking of some positioning lights mounted on my legs for example, or backpack etc.

There's multiple choices...

The most concerning was the full beam...

It seems the handheld light works best!

I felt like mounting the light on to helmet isn't too smart, because everytime when you turn the head left or right you would lose the view at a front of riding direction.

In case there's any obstacle, you won't notice it, because it might be hidden in pitch black (just example) ...

I thought it's like riding the motorcycle, the direction of riding is continuously lighten up, while you can look around checking the surrounding traffic...

I think it's very smart hand helding the light, it's comparable to walking with the torch, you simply lighting the area needed while you free to look around  ;)

Thanks!

Guest PogArt Artur
14 hours ago, travsformation said:

4t994j.jpg

Thanks to you I've bought the light yesterday  ;)

Thank you!

I'm not sure whether there's is flashing mode though, but I guess I can live without that feature, in that case I'll just use it as a torch light...

There's many lights to choose from, unfortunately eBay these days are occupied by Chinese sellers?

Waiting time is up to three weeks sometime...

So I've make sure I'm ordering the item,that can be delivered in reasonable time...

Thank you for keen help!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143147440804

11 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks to you I've bought the light yesterday  ;)

There's many lights to choose from, unfortunately eBay these days are occupied by Chinese sellers?

Waiting time is up to three weeks sometime...

So I've make sure I'm ordering the item,that can be delivered in reasonable time...

Thank you for keen help!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143147440804

This light you have ordered doesn't look very hand holdable.

About Chinese sellers on Flea Bay. Do an advanced search, scroll down and select UK only or something like that.  There are two options, try them both.  This usually pushes the foreign shippers to the bottom of the list.

Another thing about a hand held flashlight is that it can be used as a self defense weapon, especially if it has crenelations on the front (notches).  This really get someones attention when you rake them across their face (that's what the crenelations are for; it's the "tactical" part of a tactical flashlight).  Why is this important? because some of us are riding wheels valued in the thousands of $£E AND if you're using a flash light, you're riding in the dark when all the sub humans come out to reek havoc.

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Smoother said:

This light you have ordered doesn't look very hand holdable.

About Chinese sellers on Flea Bay. Do an advanced search, scroll down and select UK only or something like that.  There are two options, try them both.  This usually pushes the foreign shippers to the bottom of the list.

Another thing about a hand held flashlight is that it can be used as a self defense weapon, especially if it has crenelations on the front (notches).  This really get someones attention when you rake them across their face (that's what the crenelations are for).  Why is this important? because some of us are riding wheels valued in the thousands of $£E AND if you're using a flash light, you're riding in the dark when all the sub humans come out to reek havoc.

That's a great usage for the light - the defence  ;)

Just when you've mentioned the risk of meeting "friendly" people, I started thinking of insurance option...

Is anybody insuring the wheels in UK?

In case of stolen, damage, road accident insurance?

;)

16 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Is anybody insuring the wheels in UK?

In case of stolen, damage, road accident insurance?

possibly as a listed item on household insurance, I assume like an expensive bicycle. 

One might be able to buy a general liability policy to the tune of £2,000,000.that would cover you against damages/injury claims  As a self employed person a policy like this can be had for around £100. 

______

Here's the torch I bought. It's gone up £5 since I bought mine. Throws a great beam a LOOOOOOONG way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072V7HK1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, PogArt Artur said:

I'm glad you ok after all  ;)

I'm curious regarding the flash light please...

Tomorrow I'll receive my first wheel E+, there's no lights,and I'm going use the wheel mostly for commuting, any weather, nights as well...

I'm hardly thinking WHAT LIGHT  ;)

Could you tell me some more what flash light is you're using, are you hold it in your hand, or it's mounted?

I'm willing to get some ideas what light to buy, and what works best for safe riding.

Thank you  ;)

I've attached a picture of my NB1C+ with the factory kickstand and light mount.   I use a basic bike light for the headlight and strap a blinking light to the back for safety.

For commuting on my KS16S, I also carry a flashlight in one of my hands which works really well for aiming exactly where needed.

46110217_2045945052110469_8838980877703708672_o.jpg

Guest PogArt Artur
41 minutes ago, Smoother said:

possibly as a listed item on household insurance, I assume like an expensive bicycle. 

One might be able to buy a general liability policy to the tune of £2,000,000.that would cover you against damages/injury claims  As a self employed person a policy like this can be had for around £100. 

______

Here's the torch I bought. It's gone up £5 since I bought mine. Throws a great beam a LOOOOOOONG way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072V7HK1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again for great support Smoother ;)

That's something to think about,regarding insurance policy.

I think if I had such insurance, I would be braver riding in public, and even being stopped by Police, I could defend myself at least with some policy in hand...

- Thanks for the link!

That light is spot on!

I have cancelled my order, I will look for something more pro alike , like the one on that link ;)

Thanks!

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Smoother said:

______

Would you please have a look on this one?

BINWO Super Bright 2000 Lumen Rechargeable Handheld Mini CREE LED Torch Light, Adjustable Focus, 5 Modes, Led Flashlight for Hiking Biking Camping and other Outdoor Sports, with Batteries & Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0794RK24N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gpzICb1CYGSHM

£35 is a bit too pricy at the moment, I've paid for the E+, and I have to spent some more to dress up... ;)

Thanks ;)

33 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

BINWO Super Bright 2000 Lumen Rechargeable Handheld Mini CREE LED Torch Light, Adjustable Focus, 5 Modes, Led Flashlight for Hiking Biking Camping and other Outdoor Sports, with Batteries & Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0794RK24N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gpzICb1CYGSHM

£35 is a bit too pricy at the moment, I've paid for the E+, and I have to spent some more to dress up... ;)

Thanks ;)

Any handheld torch should be more than capable for your needs. My advice would be to not worry about the peripherals for a while! You still haven't taken your new wheel for a spin yet, let alone had a high-speed crash at nighttime!

45 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks again for great support Smoother ;)

That's something to think about,regarding insurance policy.

I think if I had such insurance, I would be braver riding in public, and even being stopped by Police, I could defend myself at least with some policy in hand...

- Thanks for the link!

That light is spot on!

I have cancelled my order, I will look for something more pro alike , like the one on that link ;)

Thanks!

Don't go near the public until you can ride confidently.  You should be like Cane from the TV series Funk Fu, wandering in the wilderness. :D  shun contact with people until you are ready to re-enter public life, wheel proudly displayed at your feet.

As for the cops do the Spamalot thing and "run away!!"

29 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks ;)

That torch looks good.  Lots of positive reviews ( I read a few).  But, are you going to be riding in the dark?  Most people don't and the days are getting longer.  I can't remember the last time I rode in the dark.(Ok it was last week, but only to take the bins out, so it doesn't count).

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Don't go near the public until you can ride confidently.  You should be like Cane from the TV series Funk Fu, wandering in the wilderness. :D  shun contact with people until you are ready to re-enter public life, wheel proudly displayed at your feet.

As for the cops do the Spamalot thing and "run away!!"

That torch looks good.  Lots of positive reviews ( I read a few).  But, are you going to be riding in the dark?  Most people don't and the days are getting longer.  I can't remember the last time I rode in the dark.(Ok it was last week, but only to take the bins out, so it doesn't count).

No , my friend I'm 47 lol, I won't go anywhere in public until I'm sure I know what I'm doing...

I've spoken to the Police Officers, I did show them the youtube videos, they have seen that other guy riding in my town too.

After nice talking, they've said whether it's legal or not, they can't see the reason to stop me and put me off that thing, until I do anything stupid...

They advised,that if I'll behave smart while riding, there's nothing to worry ...

But obviously, I haven't been chatting with all the Police Department ;)

So there's always a risk,that some may don't be as much polite...

Have you got any bad experience though?

Should I worry while commuting...

Regarding the night riding, I'm finishing some shifts very late, around midnight.

This is when I'm going to ride home at night.

Thanks for checking that light!

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Jambo said:

Any handheld torch should be more than capable for your needs. My advice would be to not worry about the peripherals for a while! You still haven't taken your new wheel for a spin yet, let alone had a high-speed crash at nighttime!

Yeah, I'm just preparing in advance , lol  ;)

Thanks my friend  ;)

5 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

But obviously, I haven't been chatting with all the Police Department ;)

So there's always a risk,that some may don't be as much polite...

Have you got any bad experience though?

Others have had UK run ins and a couple of confiscations.  Several points on several driving licenses, one fine.  I was warned by one cop it was illegal.  He stopped me riding it to an event where there were probably another 100 cops on duty, so he did me a favor.  I would not want to wheel by 200 cops hoping that every one of them didn't care.  Maybe one of them knows someone who complained about an EUC nuisance at speed, or music blaring, and vowed to uphold the law; which is actually their job. The problem with asking the cops is it only takes one of them to say "no it's against the law", now your up a creek because that cop will be watching for you and his ears will prick up when he hears colleagues talking about the dude on a wheel they saw the other day.  "Better to ask for forgiveness that for permission", is my moto. "Run Away!" is another.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, travsformation said:

I can't help but remember some advice given by @Mono, I think it was, on inattention being one of the no. 1 causes of EUC crashes. I was almost home (which is when we tend to pay less attention), the streets were deserted, there were no pedestrians, cars, dogs or other "mobile hazards", and due to excess focus on keeping the wheel stable at speed, I wasn't paying enough attention to the road in front of me. In retrospect, I'm glad this happened late at night and the obstacle was a speed bump and not a person (although I wouldn't have pushed my limits like that in any other circumstance; then again...you never really know when/where someone might jump out in front of you...)

Glad that you are okay man. You are pushing yourself, and that's good, but it also introduces more risk; especially at night.

I don't have any data on how inattention rates as a cause of mishaps, but I would imagine it's right up there.

My inattention was certainly responsible for the faceplant I took yesterday.

I am strolling along on my XL on an unusually nice day picking up a trail that cuts through a school yard. Well, the mini jocks were outside for  practice.

I decide to use the KS app to check my ride stats. I decided that it wasn't necessary to stop first to check the app so I kept strolling along the trail past the kiddies while checking the app. Well, a rolls into my path. I see it at the instant my tire is about to make contact. There was no time to react. The Kenda contacts the ball. The ball stops. The XL stops. I keep going :o:o. I was very fortunate that the wheel and I landed on the grass. I sustained no injuries and the wheel didn't even get a scratch.

After all the kiddies ran over to check on me; understandable, but only heightened the embarrassment of the entire situation, I assured them that I was okay jumped back on the XL and continued on my ride. Of course, after the collision with the I was on high alert. 

My fall must have looked a lot nastier than it actually was because one of the mini jocks took charge of the situation screaming out as she made her way toward me; "someone call 911!" :laughbounce2:

Guest PogArt Artur
44 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Others have had UK run ins and a couple of confiscations.  Several points on several driving licenses, one fine.  I was warned by one cop it was illegal.  He stopped me riding it to an event where there were probably another 100 cops on duty, so he did me as favor.  I would not want to wheel by 200 cops hoping that every one of them didn't care.  Maybe one of them knows someone who complained about an EUC nuisance at speed, or music blaring, and vowed to uphold the law; which is actually their job. The problem with asking the cops is it only takes one of them to say "no it's against the law", now your up a creek because that cop will be watching for you and his ears will prick up when he hears colleagues talking about the dude on a wheel they saw the other day.  "Better to ask for forgiveness that for permission", is my moto. "Run Away!" is another.

Thanks bro!

Do you know if anybody is doing anything to make the EUC legal in UK?

I'm not too fancy going commuting to work and being chasing/stopping by cops, lol  ;)

What have I done, hahahaaa  ;)

54 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

No one really. The Government couldn't pour beer out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole.  They are too concerned with their vehicle and fuel tax revenues, currently $40B a year.

Here's a quote from the Gumments recent transportation report (see the in the news thread) about e-scoters. No mention of EUCs

"It is currently illegal to use them (e-scooters) on pavements or roads in the UK, but unclear if this will still be the case by 2040."

2040!!! We want answers now, not 21 years from now! If they can't even make a decision about e-scooters, what chance do you think we have?

Ride your wheel, don't piss anybody off, deploy your cloak of invisibility if you see cops, enjoy yourself. If anyone asks, its got a 250w motor, can't do more that 15mph and you have to move the pedals to get it to move (technically that's true), so it's technically an e-bike.  That might get you away from a curious copper unscathed.

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks bro!

I'm not too fancy going commuting to work and being chasing/stopping by cops, lol  ;)

What have I done, hahahaaa  ;)

I feel for you UK folks. It would suck not being able to openly wheel around.

I was commuting home 2 days ago and stopped briefly to rest on a cement wall in Griffith Park. I entered the park and had just sat down when I saw a police car cruising the other side of the park. One of the officers pointed my direction and 30 seconds later the cop car pulled on the grass right behind me. They got out, heads cocked to the side, and asked what is that thing?  They thought I had a motorcycle and was riding it in the park.  When they found out it was an EUC, they both challenged each other to ride it but neither did. I was instantly off the hook and building goodwill for us LA riders. Not even a hint that riding a motorized vehicle in the park was wrong, which they could have easily hassled me.

1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

I was commuting home 2 days ago and stopped briefly to rest on a cement wall in Griffith Park. I entered the park and had just sat down when I saw a police car cruising the other side of the park. One of the officers pointed my direction and 30 seconds later the cop car pulled on the grass right behind me. They got out, heads cocked to the side, and asked what is that thing?  They thought I had a motorcycle and was riding it in the park.  When they found out it was an EUC, they both challenged each other to ride it but neither did. I was instantly off the hook and building goodwill for us LA riders. Not even a hint that riding a motorized vehicle in the park was wrong, which they could have easily hassled me.

Yeah, looks like the Burbank police will probably have our backs too after they witnessed me helping a stranded motorist and telling me that people like me make this city great. My buddy also says that DOT classifies the EUC as a bicycle, not a motorized vehicle, as the motor is for balance, not propulsion. A great chunk of wisdom to lay on when/if officials give us a hard time...

Guest PogArt Artur
4 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Good story ;)

I'm a bus driver, the Police getting on the busses free of charge... ;)

I had couple of situations when driving the private car, that as soon as they were aware I'm a bus driver, they let me off or treated politely ;)

This is why I count on that "privileage" in case one day they will stop me...

Those speed bumps...

I've had one scary speed bump experience... suddenly me and my wheel was airborne, but luckily we both landed in the same place with me still on the pedals. I think I left my stomach behind though. It eventually found its way back again, but I felt like there was a hole there for a few minutes.

At any speed above 18mph or so, you have to consider yourself lucky to walk away without fractures.

Archived