Buying the first wheel - newbie.

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

Hi I've just signed up.

I'm 47, living in Bradford UK.

For last weeks I'm doing nothing but watching youtube reviews,and trying to make my first uniwheel purchase to begin the learning curve.

Yes it's not cheap, but I don't want to start with childish wheel,bearing in mind my age  ;)

Also I want to start with a bit advanced wheel, to cover longer journeys,after I'll gain all the experience needed.

My favourite winner is Ninebot One E+ (2 gen), I've found UK retailer's offer £549 inc vat.

If you're interested it's poolmarket.co.uk.

This is the cheapest UK deal so far.

I'm not so sure if this is reliable seller,I'll be appreciate if you could share your experience...

The next is speedyfeet.co.uk so friendly guys!, but their price of £520 plus vat (£625) placing their offer as the second...

I'm also thinking of Inmotion V5F which is great too, but 14" wheel puts me off?

I think 16" will give me more comfy commuting all rounder, tell me please if I'm wrong... 

I can get it at Chinese reseller gearbest.com for £390 if you interested, but it'll be sent from France warehouse, I'm worry to buy from them regarding after purchase service?

All those efforts and time consuming sending the faulty device...

Sorry for my first post being too long,but I wanted to share my choice and doubts.

I'm ready to place the order with the cheapest poolmarket's deal, just holding my breath in, in case there's any other option I don't know yet  ;)

Thank you for reading, best regards my friends.

30 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Hi I've just signed up.

I'm 47, living in Bradford UK.

For last weeks I'm doing nothing but watching youtube reviews,and trying to make my first uniwheel purchase to begin the learning curve.

Yes it's not cheap, but I don't want to start with childish wheel,bearing in mind my age  ;)

Also I want to start with a bit advanced wheel, to cover longer journeys,after I'll gain all the experience needed.

My favourite winner is Ninebot One E+ (2 gen), I've found UK retailer's offer £549 inc vat.

If you're interested it's poolmarket.co.uk.

This is the cheapest UK deal so far.

I'm not so sure if this is reliable seller,I'll be appreciate if you could share your experience...

The next is speedyfeet.co.uk so friendly guys!, but their price of £520 plus vat (£625) placing their offer as the second...

I'm also thinking of Inmotion V5F which is great too, but 14" wheel puts me off?

I think 16" will give me more comfy commuting all rounder, tell me please if I'm wrong... 

I can get it at Chinese reseller gearbest.com for £390 if you interested, but it'll be sent from France warehouse, I'm worry to buy from them regarding after purchase service?

All those efforts and time consuming sending the faulty device...

Sorry for my first post being too long,but I wanted to share my choice and doubts.

I'm ready to place the order with the cheapest poolmarket's deal, just holding my breath in, in case there's any other option I don't know yet  ;)

Thank you for reading, best regards my friends.

Personal recommendation would be to get a cheap learner wheel, possibly an older ninebot. I know you want something that is going to last you but keep in mind your first wheel can and probably will be dropped many many times. Get a cheap used wheel and upgrade when your comfortable if you want it to look nice.  Speedyfeet is def a reputable company, not sure about the other co as I'm not from the UK. 

Good Luck

Guest PogArt Artur
29 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Personal recommendation would be to get a cheap learner wheel, possibly an older ninebot. I know you want something that is going to last you but keep in mind your first wheel can and probably will be dropped many many times. Get a cheap used wheel and upgrade when your comfortable if you want it to look nice.  Speedyfeet is def a reputable company, not sure about the other co as I'm not from the UK. 

Good Luck

Thanks!

I know I can trust speedyfeet, thank you for confirmation regarding those guys.

I forgot to mention, there's possible I can have a second hand E+, 300miles, with all the scratches around included  ;) for £200 + 2 months friendly warranty.

Do you think I'm better off to get that deal, instead of spending much more money for new wheel, and make it look the same after couple of drops/slides? ;)

Would you recommend the full face helmet over the standard cyclist helmet please?

I'm wonder if the bottom part would not block my view too much, while learning/gaining experience...

Thank you.

39 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks!

I know I can trust speedyfeet, thank you for confirmation regarding those guys.

I forgot to mention, there's possible I can have a second hand E+, 300miles, with all the scratches around included  ;) for £200 + 2 months friendly warranty.

Do you think I'm better off to get that deal, instead of spending much more money for new wheel, and make it look the same after couple of drops/slides? ;)

Would you recommend the full face helmet over the standard cyclist helmet please?

I'm wonder if the bottom part would not block my view too much, while learning/gaining experience...

Thank you.

I think the used E+ might be the way to go because you'll probably want a bigger/better wheel than the VF5, and alike that you're debating now.   It'll give you a loaner to help others learn as well, which is exactly what I do with my beat up NB1C+.   Learning, use wrist guards but nothing else is needed until you learn to ride and gain speed then definitely a helmet.   I felt comfortable with a skate helmet given the limited speed on my C+, but definitely a full face for wheels with greater speed.

I agree that the used E+ is a good way to go and that's a good price. I've done a little over 500 miles on my E+ and it's good as new except for scratches. No problems riding it in rain or snow.

I weigh 65kg so the power of the E+ is enough for me.
I can get 14km range at this lovely temperature of 0C. Closer to 20km when it's warm out.
Also it doesn't have lights or a trolley handle.

Bicycle helmet is enough. Full face makes it harder to look around, see foot positioning and so on.

Hi there.

The used E+ is a great idea. Get it! Great learner.

The new E+ is an outright insane waste of money.

You can get a new Inmotion V10 for 720€!!! That wheel is not 3+ years old and ridiculously underpowered and overpriced from today's standard, like a new E+ would be, but modern and powerful and runs circles around the E+ (that is an understatement, it's like spaceship vs. horse carriage).

At the time, nothing can even remotely compete with the bang for the buck of this offer. The European price for a V10 is like double that. Nothing better than this for a new rider looking for a first wheel. Order before Brexit;) (I'm serious, you literally get a great modern wheel for less than half the usual European price of it or any comparable wheel! The only reason not to get it would be if you are 100% certain after learning on the E+ for a week, you'll get a 2000+€ 18 incher like the msuper X or KS18XL anyways.)

As far as protection is concerned, wrist guards are a must whenever you step on a EUC. Knee guards and a full face helmet come later, but aren't needed when learning as you are slow then.

edit: It doesn't really matter to you now, but nobody should buy a new E+. I explained it a bit here:

I can only repeat how insanely good this V10 offer is. Before, you either got a "cheap" weaker wheel (cheap means <1000€ here) or spent 1500-2000€ (or more) for a "real" powerful modern wheel before this. Right now every newcomer can get a fantastic wheel for a really great price. This is completely unprecedented.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi there.

The used E+ is a great idea. Get it! Great learner.

The new E+ is an outright insane waste of money.

You can get a new Inmotion V10 for 720€!!! That wheel is not 3+ years old and ridiculously underpowered and overpriced from today's standard, like a new E+ would be, but modern and powerful and runs circles around the E+ (that is an understatement, it's like spaceship vs. horse carriage).

At the time, nothing can even remotely compete with the bang for the buck of this offer. The European price for a V10 is like double that. Nothing better than this for a new rider looking for a first wheel. Order before Brexit;) (I'm serious, you literally get a great modern wheel for less than half the usual European price of it or any comparable wheel! The only reason not to get it would be if you are 100% certain after learning on the E+ for a week, you'll get a 2000+€ 18 incher like the msuper X or KS18XL anyways.)

As far as protection is concerned, wrist guards are a must whenever you step on a EUC. Knee guards and a full face helmet come later, but aren't needed when learning as you are slow then.

edit: It doesn't really matter to you now, but nobody should buy a new E+. I explained it a bit here:

I can only repeat how insanely good this V10 offer is. Before, you either got a "cheap" weaker wheel (cheap means <1000€ here) or spent 1500-2000€ (or more) for a "real" powerful modern wheel before this. Right now every newcomer can get a fantastic wheel for a really great price. This is completely unprecedented.

Heya mate,

Sorry for joining like that in the convo but I am also looking for a first wheel (made a post here:

I wanted to ask you if you would recommend something like that from Gearbest: https://www.gearbest.com/scooters-and-wheels/pp_1699240.html

Although I am really looking for something around or below 200eu :(

Thanks!

1 hour ago, blueg said:

I wanted to ask you if you would recommend something like that from Gearbest: https://www.gearbest.com/scooters-and-wheels/pp_1699240.html

It's not bad, but not good either. 300 for a learner wheel you'll grow out of after a week... 300 is still a lot of money. But it wouldn't be too bad just buying this.

1 hour ago, blueg said:

Although I am really looking for something around or below 200eu :(

Yep, a used wheel for cheaper would obviously much better. But you need to be lucky to find one at the right time.

-

The real advice is, don't worry too much about scratching your wheel. Just pad it up really well (everywhere, including the underside of the pedal holders, etc.) and you can learn on every wheel. After the initial learning phase, you can remove the padding. You'll probably have a fall later on with every wheel, but wheels are more stable than they look, and every wheel is going to have some (minor) scratches. That's just part of it and gives them character:D

I'd skip the learner wheel, and just buy your final wheel right away. For example the 720€ V10, if you subtract the 300 price you linked, that's only 400 more for a much much much much better wheel. Why not go this route right away?

But if your intuition tells you to get a cheap training wheel, do that. Nothing wrong with it either. I just think the money is better invested as part of the price of the wheel you really want to buy.

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not bad, but not good either. 300 for a learner wheel you'll grow out of after a week... 300 is still a lot of money. But it wouldn't be too bad just buying this.

Yep, a used wheel for cheaper would obviously much better. But you need to be lucky to find one at the right time.

-

The real advice is, don't worry too much about scratching your wheel. Just pad it up really well (everywhere, including the underside of the pedal holders, etc.) and you can learn on every wheel. After the initial learning phase, you can remove the padding. You'll probably have a fall later on with every wheel, but wheels are more stable than they look, and every wheel is going to have some (minor) scratches. That's just part of it and gives them character:D

I'd skip the learner wheel, and just buy your final wheel right away. For example the 720€ V10, if you subtract the 300 price you linked, that's only 400 more for a much much much much better wheel. Why not go this route right away?

But if your intuition tells you to get a cheap training wheel, do that. Nothing wrong with it either. I just think the money is better invested as part of the price of the wheel you really want to buy.

As a final wheel I was thinking something like Gotway MSuper X or Ninebot One Z10 :P

But my main problem is that I can't afford 700+ eu all at once at this point, that's why I am thinking of a cheaper one.

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Any wheel is better than no wheel:)

I think the best compromise would be the Inmotion V5F for 350€. 50 more than that C+ you linked, but a (significantly) better wheel. That or a <200 nice used wheel.

Too damaged for its price right? https://www.ebay.com/itm/223443811892

Even if I can get it for 200eu in total with shipping..

4 minutes ago, blueg said:

No. Not too damaged.

EUCs are simple machines. If they work, they work. Everything else is just cosmetic. I see no real damage, it just seems to have glue rests from when padding was put on it, making it look worse than it really is. You can clean that up with rubbing alcohol. You even get some foam padding stuff with it.

As long as the charger comes with it (it does, from the pictures) and the wheel works (you can always confirm with the seller, and maybe ask that the batteries are ok), this is a good price. You get a decent and cheap intro wheel, and hopefully you can then save for whatever wheel you want.

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I used to be on the "get a learner wheel" camp, but considering the fact that it took me a full 2 weeks to outgrow it, and 1 week for my daughter, I'm hesitant now.

It's a matter of aesthetics. Your first tries will have you drop your wheel a lot and scratch it up. If you don't mind or have a way to protect it (Inmotion has nice covers), just go for a decent wheel that fits your budget. Contrary to a motorcycle a more powerful wheel with a higher top speed and acceleration is not more dangerous too ride on, so there is no "build up until you have enough experience" part in that, and most wheels can be limited wrt top speed with an app. If anything the safest wheel is the fastest with the lowest electronically limited top speed :D 

But I also guess the budget problem often is because it's something new and you don't know how much you will like it and do it.

And on the second hand market there should be some wheels too. People upgrading might get rid of their first wheel, making your entry into the euc scene even cheaper.

3 hours ago, blueg said:

Looks pretty good to me, I’d go for it personally. Low investment cost to find out about the sport and if you like it.  You should be able to get your money back easily if needed. 

I continue to think it’s great having the NB1C+ around, case in point today.  My daughter is visiting and I have an extra wheel so we can cruise the beach path together today :) 

Guest PogArt Artur

Hi guys, thank you all for keen response and all the honest advises.

As you know I were struggling to decide,whether go for used or new uniwheel.

I'm pleased to admit that your opinions were very helpful, and I have decided to go for brand new wheel,which is E+ 2 gen.

I know myself, I will look after it, smoothly riding, no off roads, jumping or such.

To me buying used stuff is always little bit risky, because everybody wants to sell, so you'll hear mostly the better half of story regarding the item.

I've placed the order this morning with speedyfeet, the E+ should reach me within 5 days ;)

I can't wait for that, and I'm booking already some "bottom end" massage ;) (joke) ;)

Thank you very much again for all your keen efforts to share your thoughts and experience with me, and the other members who were following this post  ;)

Guest PogArt Artur
18 hours ago, blueg said:

As a final wheel I was thinking something like Gotway MSuper X or Ninebot One Z10 :P

But my main problem is that I can't afford 700+ eu all at once at this point, that's why I am thinking of a cheaper one.

Hi, I have been told, that Z10 is banned in UK...

What a shame, that was my "going for" wheel  ;)

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Leyline said:

This is good information I wish I had known earlier. :)

thanks  @meepmeepmayer

Hi Leyline, but you're from Miami, aren't you ;)

Is it banned in Miami too?

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, Dzlchef said:

I think the used E+ might be the way to go because you'll probably want a bigger/better wheel than the VF5, and alike that you're debating now.   It'll give you a loaner to help others learn as well, which is exactly what I do with my beat up NB1C+.   Learning, use wrist guards but nothing else is needed until you learn to ride and gain speed then definitely a helmet.   I felt comfortable with a skate helmet given the limited speed on my C+, but definitely a full face for wheels with greater speed.

Cheers, I went for new E+ ...

I was worry the used might be good deal,but for short time?

If it's good it's good, but I don't know the story behind, so it's kind of risk, that the wheel might give up after some time, then all fixings will be down to my pocket.

I hope I did right thing ;)

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/10/2019 at 5:15 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I agree that the used E+ is a good way to go and that's a good price. I've done a little over 500 miles on my E+ and it's good as new except for scratches. No problems riding it in rain or snow.

I weigh 65kg so the power of the E+ is enough for me.
I can get 14km range at this lovely temperature of 0C. Closer to 20km when it's warm out.
Also it doesn't have lights or a trolley handle.

Bicycle helmet is enough. Full face makes it harder to look around, see foot positioning and so on.

I went for the new at the end...

I was too worry spending money on unknown wheel.

I have no gear so far, but the wrist protectors.

Regarding the helmet, I used to be a motorbiker, I remember how important the full face helmet is regarding motorbikes.

The statistics tells, that in most of the accident cases , the biker getting hurt on the front part of the face... I am looking for full face helmet my friend, but with the bottom part being less obstructing if I can say that.

I've seen some interesting parachute helmet already, where the bottom part was so different from the standard ones.

I think I'm going to focus to find the one, that won't block the bottom view as much as tge other helmets might do..?

I'm weight 73kg, I hope it's ok to let me enjoy riding.

I'm aware the weight will be greater when dressed up  ;)

Cheers for advice!

7 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I went for the new at the end...

I was too worry spending money on unknown wheel.

I have no gear so far, but the wrist protectors.

Regarding the helmet, I used to be a motorbiker, I remember how important the full face helmet is regarding motorbikes.

The statistics tells, that in most of the accident cases , the biker getting hurt on the front part of the face... I am looking for full face helmet my friend, but with the bottom part being less obstructing if I can say that.

I've seen some interesting parachute helmet already, where the bottom part was so different from the standard ones.

I think I'm going to focus to find the one, that won't block the bottom view as much as tge other helmets might do..?

I'm weight 73kg, I hope it's ok to let me enjoy riding.

I'm aware the weight will be greater when dressed up  ;)

Cheers for advice!

Congratulations on a good choice! I am very happy with mine.
Speedyfeet is also a very good seller.

The only one that I know of that is less obstructing is the Fox frame series and they are quite expensive.
Also the TSG pass.
However if this is your first time riding an electric unicycle it will be more difficult with a full face helmet stopping you from seeing.

Sometimes I wear a helmet and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I wear a full face and sometimes I wear a bike helmet.
A few weeks ago a guy on this forum fell off his EUC and hit his chin when landing. He needed stitches and the wound looked quite deep.

Here is some Ninebot fun for you while you wait for your wheel!

Guest PogArt Artur
27 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Congratulations on a good choice! I am very happy with mine.
Speedyfeet is also a very good seller.

The only one that I know of that is less obstructing is the Fox frame series and they are quite expensive.
Also the TSG pass.
However if this is your first time riding an electric unicycle it will be more difficult with a full face helmet stopping you from seeing.

Sometimes I wear a helmet and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I wear a full face and sometimes I wear a bike helmet.
A few weeks ago a guy on this forum fell off his EUC and hit his chin when landing. He needed stitches and the wound looked quite deep.

Here is some Ninebot fun for you while you wait for your wheel!

Thanks my friend  ;)

It is just so easy to get hurt, no matter if you on bicycle,motorbike or uniwheel rider  ;)

I don't need full protection gear just yet, because I will start making my very first steps, but already trying to decide what kind of gear to go for.

I have some ideas, but as you have said, it's going to be few different things to consider, just because of the weather, I mean hot summer or cold autumn times of riding, the rain will be concidered as well  ;)

I hope the guy is ok now...

When you felling off, anything can happen.

Thanks  for the video too  ;)

17 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Hi Leyline, but you're from Miami, aren't you ;)

Is it banned in Miami too?

Yes I am from Miami, I don't know about "banned" but I think I saw that the z10 is having problems, so our local shop (ewheels YAY!) isn't carrying them right now.

And the information I wish I knew earlier was that the v10 was so highly reccomended.

I really wanted to get my "keep it for a while wheel" but I went with a used ninebot E+.  I was kinda sad I won't be upgrading for a bit, but then again I am having a VERY hard time learning to ride, and I even took a hard spill, so I am glad I didn't go all in yet.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Leyline said:

Yes I am from Miami, I don't know about "banned" but I think I saw that the z10 is having problems, so our local shop (ewheels YAY!) isn't carrying them right now.

And the information I wish I knew earlier was that the v10 was so highly reccomended.

I really wanted to get my "keep it for a while wheel" but I went with a used ninebot E+.  I was kinda sad I won't be upgrading for a bit, but then again I am having a VERY hard time learning to ride, and I even took a hard spill, so I am glad I didn't go all in yet.

I'm not to happy, that you're struggling a little bit with the learning progress... 

A few years ago I've had an idea to learn skating on inline skates...

I never been skating at all, the learning curve was upsetting a lot, the hardest time was to learn the balance on one leg only, that was necessary to braking with the other leg.

I did falling slide on the street too, to avoid increasing speed and cross the junction!

Due to uncomfortable pain while wearing the tighten boots, I gave it up before I learnt stopping, lol  ;)

I like V10 as well, but I'm amazed with Z10 look  ;)

I'm not going to upgrade my wheel any soon, not this year for sure, so we will see what kind of new EUC will pop in the market ...

I'm planning to do my best to master riding that E+ wheel, for commuting especially.

If everything goes good, maybe I'll look for upgrade at the next year season  ;)

The wheel will be delivered tomorrow!

Wow!

Let see how it goes then  :)

Be patient Leyline and don't give up, try approach it maybe somehow different?

Take a smaller "steps", to see progress, then build up your confidence on the small little moves...

Those small moves might get you motivated to feel more encouraged ;)

Best of luck!

Archived