18XL or MSX?

Henrik Olsen

I’m in the marked for a new wheel as there is no sign of my 18L. I had decided for the the 18XL, but I’m really in doubt about the MSX and the 18XL,

It seems from what I can pick up the majority leans towards MSX, and there are still reported issues with 18XL?

What is your preference and why? 

MacBook Pro or Dell XPS13 ? Samsung Galaxy or  Apple Iphone...? Your question sounds a little like that...! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I've never thought about buying a kingsong for a single second, but I also know that it's pure coquetry: I do not want a wheel with features that are useless for me, and function to broadcast music is one!

I would go with the MacBook Pro. Two of my colleagues chose a Dell XPS13 and while the price was nice and the spec were good it was definitely not the same quality as a Mac.

I see the 18XL and the MSX as similar with the Kingsong being the Mac.

From what i've been reading most people tend to prefer the 18XL.

@Henrik Olsen where will you being ordering from and what is the price difference between the MSX and the 18XL?
As a 65kg rider the MSX requires that I lean forward a lot to maintain a high cruising speed. You have to make a very conscious effort to get over 35km/h.

The 18XL seems to be a jack of all trades compared to the MSX. The MSX will be a bit faster and more powerful but if you use that power the battery will deplete faster.

The MSX side pads really cut into my legs in the beginning. The angled pedals I like very much though. This combination however sort of encourages my body to come in contact with the side pads more than I would like so I have to try to stand further out on the pedals and angle my knees out a bit. It's top heavy but that helps with steering. I have no problem carving on it and the pedal height is forgiving. I also like the fact that I can ride seated as an option!

Since you are coming from an 18L it might be a pity to get an 18XL because you are basically getting the same thing but a bit heavier.
Getting an MSX would be a new experience and you would get used to it sooner a later.

From what I hear the 18XL is more of an intuitive mind-reading ride.

My biggest problem with the MSX though is the small crack I got on the side of the shell near a screw. A french youtuber also has several cracks on his with the side panel wanting to loosen away from the shell. Also no mudguard so you will have to get that sorted.

If I could do it again and they cost the same I would get the XL. I got the MSX because of availability and a much lower price. I bought it on singles day for 14800 SEK and got a 50 dollar coupon as well so total was 14350 SEK from Aliexpress (Intelligent Walking Store). But the prices since then have jumped up a couple of hundred dollars.

Also sorry for your loss! Saw your clip on youtube where you forgot the wheel! 

27 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I would go with the MacBook Pro. Two of my colleagues chose a Dell XPS13 and while the price was nice and the spec were good it was definitely not the same quality as a Mac.

You mean Dell's keyboard still worked after 1 year? :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I see the 18XL and the MSX as similar with the Kingsong being the Mac.

From what i've been reading most people tend to prefer the 18XL.

@Henrik Olsen where will you being ordering from and what is the price difference between the MSX and the 18XL?
As a 65kg rider the MSX requires that I lean forward a lot to maintain a high cruising speed. You have to make a very conscious effort to get over 35km/h.

The 18XL seems to be a jack of all trades compared to the MSX. The MSX will be a bit faster and more powerful but if you use that power the battery will deplete faster.

The MSX side pads really cut into my legs in the beginning. The angled pedals I like very much though. This combination however sort of encourages my body to come in contact with the side pads more than I would like so I have to try to stand further out on the pedals and angle my knees out a bit. It's top heavy but that helps with steering. I have no problem carving on it and the pedal height is forgiving. I also like the fact that I can ride seated as an option!

Since you are coming from an 18L it might be a pity to get an 18XL because you are basically getting the same thing but a bit heavier.
Getting an MSX would be a new experience and you would get used to it sooner a later.

From what I hear the 18XL is more of an intuitive mind-reading ride.

My biggest problem with the MSX though is the small crack I got on the side of the shell near a screw. A french youtuber also has several cracks on his with the side panel wanting to loosen away from the shell. Also no mudguard so you will have to get that sorted.

If I could do it again and they cost the same I would get the XL. I got the MSX because of availability and a much lower price. I bought it on singles day for 14800 SEK and got a 50 dollar coupon as well so total was 14350 SEK from Aliexpress (Intelligent Walking Store). But the prices since then have jumped up a couple of hundred dollars.

Also sorry for your loss! Saw your clip on youtube where you forgot the wheel! 

Yes, it's bummer i forgot it. I'm also leaning mostly towards the XL because I was pretty happy with my 18L but could use the extra range of the XL. 

But then I start doubting because everybody seems to praise the MSX..

I'll be buying from Speedyfeet in UK this time

/HeO

Get something different try the msx you'll love the comfy tyre the xl would be just like stepping on your old 18l , if you liked the 18l that much buy the xl. The msx is a pure beast at everything though 

I haven't ridden the 18-inchers from KS, but I have no doubt that they are great. However, as a young-ish 27-year old, I prefer my MSX because of the beefy tire and it's insurmountable amount of power. The pedal height is great for jumping up and down curbs. Because of the weather here in Oslo I have only been able to get in a few rides earlier this year, and those few rides were apart from the chafing shins, amazing. Thing feels like a motorcycle, stable and powerful.

The trolley-handle is absolutely terrible though. Kingsong nailed that part, and walking this beast feels more like I'm taking satan's dog out for a long-overdue walk. So I have my 16C for errands, and my MSX for everything else.

I just came back from a ride on my MSX. -1C and 6km/s winds. Phew... chilly!

After riding my Ninebot One+ for the past few days I noticed the following after riding the MSX:

It really wants to stay upright! I couldn't get it to carve. It rolls over everything. This is not a van. It's a Monster Truck!
After around 4km I got used to it again though and was able to carve and play. I feel like a giant on it. So high up haha!
I really have to throw my weight forward and sometimes even lift my heels off the pedals for it to go go go! And this is on soft mode.

I don't have too much trouble with the trolly unless I am holding a door open for my wife so she can get through it while carrying here OneWheel. These awkward manoeuvres cause me to lose balance of the wheel and it sometimes slips forward or backwards and away.

2 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

really have to throw my weight forward and sometimes even lift my heels off the pedals for it to go go go! And this is on soft mode.

Same here and I'm 90kg I'd of loved the soft mode just a bit softer .i  ride in soft on any wheel ,, only had 3 wheels but I've ridden them all soft my ks16s i had was lovely in soft mode very spongy😊

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I can imagine the windchill factor is quite significant at that speed :o

I'm more surprised you were able to stand up :o

B);)

I haven't tried either, so can't really comment either way, but if I were to choose between the two I'd go for the XL. It has better safety features than the MSX, and I'm not interested in high speeds, but more interested in range.

As you're used to the L, jumping onto the XL wouldn't be much different from what you're used to. But changing to the MSX would require a little bit time to get used to the different handling (though not very long). 

40 minutes ago, Olav said:

I can imagine the windchill factor is quite significant at that speed :o

I'm more surprised you were able to stand up :o

B);)

I haven't tried either, so can't really comment either way, but if I were to choose between the two I'd go for the XL. It has better safety features than the MSX, and I'm not interested in high speeds, but more interested in range.

As you're used to the L, jumping onto the XL wouldn't be much different from what you're used to. But changing to the MSX would require a little bit time to get used to the different handling (though not very long). 

Lmao! 6km/s. :roflmao:

No wonder I had to lean forward so hard!

We have come a far way when we say that we are not interested in high speeds because the XL "only" has a top speed of 50km/h. :efee612b4b:

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

At 6km/s, you'll need a heat shield;) (it can work double duty as faceplant protector).

Hahaha! Yeah the calculator broke and showed close to 2000C at that speed.
Looks like I don't need those new boots and gloves after a wall.

If only I had known that I just needed to ride faaaaaaaasteeeeeeer

9 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

Yes, it's bummer i forgot it. I'm also leaning mostly towards the XL because I was pretty happy with my 18L but could use the extra range of the XL. 

But then I start doubting because everybody seems to praise the MSX..

I'll be buying from Speedyfeet in UK this time

/HeO

I don't know if you ever got the larger pedals, but I am 120% sure you would love those. I expect you still have your charges, so they will be good to have. I recall you bought 2, so one he, one at office, and one (with the new wheel) in backpack. Then you can't possibly go out of battery.

I have yet to test a XL but from what I gather the extra battery units make it possible to balance power drain better so you don't get trottling as much, as you can go further lower on each battery unit and still be able to get the needed power.

7 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

After riding my Ninebot One+ for the past few days I noticed the following after riding the MSX:

It really wants to stay upright! I couldn't get it to carve. It rolls over everything. This is not a van. It's a Monster Truck!
After around 4km I got used to it again though and was able to carve and play. I feel like a giant on it. So high up haha!
I really have to throw my weight forward and sometimes even lift my heels off the pedals for it to go go go! And this is on soft mode.

I don't have too much trouble with the trolly unless I am holding a door open for my wife so she can get through it while carrying here OneWheel. These awkward manoeuvres cause me to lose balance of the wheel and it sometimes slips forward or backwards and away.

i think you mean 6 km/h lol.. 6 km/s would literally be like being inside of ten hurricanes xD

Archived