Doing good deeds on wheels...

Rama Douglas

Last night on my electric unicycle jaunt, I got to live up to the super hero look I sport when I ride. 😎 A lady was standing outside her car waving a gas can around. So I turned around and offered to go fill it for her, as she had just run outta gas. I was back to her about 7 minutes later. There were a couple of cops there with her as I returned. Also, Dee, the woman whose gas tank was getting a helping out from me, told me I was her saviour! The female cop just looked at me smiling as I rode up on a robotic electric device, looking like I just came from the next Tron movie auditions. The younger male cop told me "It's people like you who make this city great!" That really warmed my heart 💓 I pumped a ✊ in the air, said thank you brother, and sped off into the night.

Maybe with more of us doing acts such as this, the fuzz will stay off our backs with upcoming regulations ...

This has inspired me to do a good deed on my rides. Gonna start packing some food, extra herb, and maybe $5 bills when I can and go out to distribute happiness and goods to homeless people. One wheel, one love, one people...or something like that. Who's with me? Gonna organize some group rides this spring in LA to get out and spread the joy of our sport along with the joy of kindness towards others...Now I gotta come up with a super-hero moniker for my wheeled persona~😜

14 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Now I gotta come up with a super-hero moniker for my wheeled persona

Captain Ramerica

Rama lama ding dong

Ramtastic

Captain Ramtastic

Ram Bam Thank You M'am

Rama to the Rescue

Rama Rescue

Yep @Rama Douglas I'm with you there.  Here's my recent good citizen story:

A few weeks ago I was riding a bike path and some kid was standing beside his upside down bike.  Other bikes were whizzing by, but I stopped to see if he needed help.  He had de-railed his chain and it was well and truly wedged between the cog and the bearing housing (I don't know the technical name).  I had nothing that would dislodge it.  After a few minutes of trying, I flagged down an elderly lady cyclist with big saddle bags (on her bike not her hips).  She looked but could not find something suitable in the bags to free the chain.  She then suggested he walk his bike over to the marina (about 200 yards) and see if they had a tool (an excellent idea).  So I didn't find the solution, but I found the person who found the solution.  That counts surely.

I also feed the swans regularly at my nearby river riding destinations, bird lovers must like that (not white bread, peanuts, and now vegetable scraps, as detailed on tinternet).  And I've been thinking of carrying a trash bag, to pick up trash like plastic bottles.  

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Captain Ramerica

Rama lama ding dong

Ramtastic

Captain Ramtastic

Ram Bam Thank You M'am

Rama to the Rescue

Rama Rescue

That's amazing! One for each day of the week! LoL. Laughing my arse off over here! I think your vocabularic banter surpasses most, and flows a bit smoother than others, @Smoother! :laughbounce2:

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yep @Rama Douglas I'm with you there.  Here's my recent good citizen story:

A few weeks ago I was riding a bike path and some kid was standing beside his upside down bike.  Other bikes were whizzing by, but I stopped to see if he needed help.  He had de-railed his chain and it was well and truly wedged between the cog and the bearing housing (I don't know the technical name).  I had nothing that would dislodge it.  After a few minutes of trying, I flagged down an elderly lady cyclist with big saddle bags (on her bike not her hips).  She looked but could not find something suitable in the bags to free the chain.  She then suggested he walk his bike over to the marina (about 200 yards) and see if they had a tool (an excellent idea).  So I didn't find the solution, but I found the person who found the solution.  That counts surely.

I also feed the swans regularly at my nearby river riding destinations, bird lovers must like that (not white bread, peanuts, and now vegetable scraps, as detailed on tinternet).  And I've been thinking of carrying a trash bag, to pick up trash like plastic bottles.  

Yes! Good stuff! I feel if we keep doing stuff like this, not only do we justify our super-attire, but we'll certainly get cut some slack from the fuzz come more PEV regulations...

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I usually pick up boxes or large pieces of trash that have fallen in the middle of the road and that have cars swerving to avoid. 

That's a good one! Maybe your hero-personna costume can include an industrial strength vacuum device that sucks up all the garbage from the roads including broken glass (which I find myself nearly missing way too often). I'm sure @Smoother would have a field day coming up with a moniker for ya too...

Looks like the uni-bot version of the Justice League is forming. 👊

With such clear purpose, perhaps I'll go with Capt. Ramerica lololol

58 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

That's amazing! One for each day of the week! LoL. Laughing my arse off over here! I think your vocabularic banter surpasses most, and flows a bit smoother than others, @Smoother! :laughbounce2:

You're too kind. Thank you.

I'm out of "ups" today.  Apparently I am too kind as well :rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

I'm sure @Smoother would have a field day coming up with a moniker for ya too...

Eh, I'm having writer's block with this one.

Darre-mite

Best Wesh 

Darrel the Dash (referencing his 100m history)

Nah! I'm not proud of any of those. Sorry Darrel.

And @Darrell Wesh didn't your mother ever tell you not play in the middle of the street?;)

I'm in on the EUC-vengers / Wheeler League! (just don't ask @Smoother about my anger management.... 😂)

@Rama Douglas if what you mention had happened in Spain, you REALLY would have saved her ass. You get fined here if you run out of gas. The law states that it's the driver's responsibility to make sure they don't run out of gas, and if you do, you're deemed a public menace (for aggravating other drivers by stopping on the hard shoulder, presumably).

In any case, nice one! 

I'm that kind of rider too, just haven't come across a situation that requested my assistance (except warning fellow PEV users that there are cops ahead). Until now, my role has proven to be more of a "The Punisher" experience, but @Smoother put me in my place by pointing out that I can't change society at large single-handedly 😂

I'm usually more of a good samaritan, live and let live kind of guy, but have had some bizarre mishaps with people trying to beat me up after running me over, intentionally trying to run me over, etc. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde... 

But aside from that, I DO try to lead by example and project a good image (as the only EUC embassador in my city). Hope chance brings more damsels in distress my way and less sociopathic drivers... 

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

V cool story Rama, have you ever come across any other riders while out and about? Where abouts in LA are you based?

I live in North Hollywood. Was strolling through Burbank during this jaunt...I randomly met 3 other EUCers during rides. I met @Marty Backe on like my 2nd week of wheeling. That was a cool coincidence, because I already knew of his superstar status in the EUC realms. Then, one day met a cool girl named Maria who was on Sunset Blvd one day on her Ninebot. Also met Stan Anonymous (Bill) while out near Silver Lake. Everyone else I've met has been through Marty group ride...Cheers @Jambo! How bout you?

16 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've been thinking of carrying a trash bag, to pick up trash like plastic bottles.  

I try to carry a re-used flimsy plastic grocery bag, or two, especially if on personally important routes/trails. Once the first piece of offending trash goes in the bag, the focus becomes trying to fill the bag quickly and to efficiently beautify a section, then dispose of the collected clean-up and get on with the adventure without too much delay.

2 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

I live in North Hollywood. Was strolling through Burbank during this jaunt...I randomly met 3 other EUCers during rides. I met @Marty Backe on like my 2nd week of wheeling. That was a cool coincidence, because I already knew of his superstar status in the EUC realms. Then, one day met a cool girl named Maria who was on Sunset Blvd one day on her Ninebot. Also met Stan Anonymous (Bill) while out near Silver Lake. Everyone else I've met has been through Marty group ride...Cheers @Jambo! How bout you?

I'm down the road in Sherman Oaks!

Archived