What happens if you are towed by a car while riding?

RichieV

I am not bold/stupid enough to try this, but I am curious.  If you are towed by a car while riding and sustain a speed faster than what your eWheel is capable of generating by itself, what will happen?  Will the pedals tilt back?  Will speed-induced shut-off occur?  Will the battery start charging?

I think all of the above. You would hit tilt back until you surpassed top speed, then the euc couldn't keep you balanced anymore and it would drop you. At slow speeds, I think you could use braking to charge the uni, which is clever if you are low on juice but are nowhere near a place to charge. Obviously this is a dangerous proposition and I don't think anyone should attempt it. 

if I could get guaranteed my wheel would be replaced if it fries, I would try this.as ninebot does not have shut off after max speed I have pushed it quite hard and it gets pretty wobbly with the tilt back shoots forward and tilts back really fast and hard .

I think all of the above. You would hit tilt back until you surpassed top speed, then the euc couldn't keep you balanced anymore and it would drop you. At slow speeds, I think you could use braking to charge the uni, which is clever if you are low on juice but are nowhere near a place to charge. Obviously this is a dangerous proposition and I don't think anyone should attempt it. 

This might be useful at a meet-up if someone with a weaker wheel gets stranded - get someone with a more powerful wheel to tow them a little and charge up via regenerative braking. 

As there are no friction brakes as used in bikes and cars the braking has to come from somewhere and that is the generative power of the motor so the energy from the momentum is turned into electricity.

This either goes back into the batteries or in a small minority of wheels has to be burnt off by resistance but that causes heat so needs big heat sinks.

What side of the car are you being 'towed' from? Hopefully not the underside...

After regenerative charging, try shutoff and freewheeling it until your get off point then restart eu and off you go...no problem.... I think I saw it in a movie 'Carrie' or was it 'death road' or 'road rage'...

What side of the car are you being 'towed' from? Hopefully not the underside...

After regenerative charging, try shutoff and freewheeling it until your get off point then restart eu and off you go...no problem.... I think I saw it in a movie 'Carrie' or was it 'death road' or 'road rage'...

No that was in Back to the Future just before Biff's car gets filled with manure! :)

Archived