Charge Doctor, Hobby Gadget Factory - no cotact

szaroczek

Hello, everybody. I bought an 84V Charge Doctor on the 19th of October 2018 and the last email response I got from its maker regarding this transaction reached my email box one day before - the 18th of October 2018. Since then I emailed the person like seven times up until now sadly without any reaction. I am about to buy another Charge Doctor with three input sockets and would like it to have a little customized for my individual purpose but the guy is like totally gone. There is a message in red placed at the top of his web site saying: "Notice: “buy” links are temporarily disabled. Please get back in about one week to buy again. Thank you." but it is there I would guess for many weeks already. My question is if any of you possibly managed to contact this person effectively recently?

1804796843_HobbyGadgetFactory.thumb.PNG.23c7ad597823da077a73ed1956aa2273.PNG

Ooh! That's a relief! I thought maybe he hated me or something... :efefa6edcf: And a good news is he is continuing the CD project. Anyway, thought he might have at least scribbled few words of explanation to make one know what was going on. And by the way, who speaks French nowadays? I thought this language is already extinct! :roflmao:Anyway, thank you for your response and the feedback. :)

Edited by szaroczek

6 minutes ago, Superrobert said:

OK, but is the new Site www.chargedoctor.fr real or a Fake?

I (we) don't know - whois just shows a provider and no person. And  this site was afaik not mentioned here before - so only@hobby16 can tell this. Or someone who successfully ordered a CD there...

Well I'm waiting too, without any mail or any other contact since the transaction. I've decided to show patience, since this is a hobby enterprise.

A tip to @hobby16, create a autoresponse for the mail, so that we who spent our money knows we established contact and that there's a reason we don't get an answer.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

this is a hobby enterprise.

Words are just words but still, you don't earn money on a hobby, don't you...? The moment you do, it's not a hobby anymore I would say... :unsure:

47 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

A tip to @hobby16, create a autoresponse for the mail, so that we who spent our money knows we established contact and that there's a reason we don't get an answer.

Exactly! It doesn't take that much to do so instead saves so many unnecessary bad emotions on the side of his present and future customers. 

9 hours ago, szaroczek said:

Words are just words but still, you don't earn money on a hobby, don't you...?

I have played in a band for years and sometimes we were paid for our gigs. Does that make it a non-hobby?

I am quite convinced that hobby16 doesn't make his living from selling CDs, so why shouldn't it be called a hobby then? I think even taxation considers income from hobbies up to some level as tax exempt (I guess assuming that people usually spent more money for the hobby than the earn). The profit from selling CDs might just be enough to buy the material and the EUCs he wants to test the CD on :D.

9 hours ago, szaroczek said:

Exactly! It doesn't take that much to do so instead saves so many unnecessary bad emotions on the side of his present and future customers. 

It says in fat red that buy links are momentarily disabled. Generally, hobby16 has been extremely responsive and helpful in my dealings with him (which I cannot say for all "highly respected EUC dealers"). Just my experience and 2 cents. If you already have paid and didn't get a response that would be strange to me: IIRC in my case he didn't let me pay before he had received the components to assemble the CD I wanted.

If you PM to me the email and/or PayPal account you send the money to, I could cross check whether it is the same I paid to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mono said:

I have played in a band for years and sometimes we were paid for our gigs. Does that make it a non-hobby?

hobby16 is making official offer for his products and is offering them all around the world "(expect delays if in Antarctica)" - that doesn't look like a "hobby" to me at all. The "hobby" term in his case meant to me more that the area his products are covering - electric unicycles, hoover-boards etc - at least today are usually just a "hobby" for the bulk of their owners. I would assume your gigs were fun to you and your band members, I exercise guitar a little, so I understand what kind of fun it could be. He, on the other hand, is manufacturing the same product in few identical versions over and over again - could it be any kind of fun and considered a hobby by any means...? 

"If you already have paid and didn't get a response that would be strange to me" (the "Quote selection" link just stopped working for some reason...)

Just to be sure, I HAVE RECEIVED my CD which I payed for! I just had some questions regarding some technical specs. initially and then I intended to buy another customized unit.

10 hours ago, Mono said:

It says in fat red that buy links are momentarily disabled.

In the next sentence, though, which you were kind forgetting to mention, he encourages customers to visit the link "in about one week". Would you consider few months of total silence as "about one week"...?

10 hours ago, Mono said:

Generally, hobby16 has been extremely responsive and helpful in my dealings with him

Maybe he is and if so, I must have simply turned up in the wrong moment of his enterprise activity; that happens, couldn't have predicted it. Anyhow, I can imagine better ways of him managing this situation, whatever kind of situation it might be, in terms of better communicating with his customers by informing them more clearly and specifically what is going on and what practically they can expect of him. That's all.

1 hour ago, szaroczek said:

hobby16 is making official offer for his products and is offering them all around the world "(expect delays if in Antarctica)" - that doesn't look like a "hobby" to me at all.

It may not look like that to you, still it may be the case, and this is what has been suggested above by others who seem to know him: he is busy with his real work.

He, on the other hand, is manufacturing the same product in few identical versions over and over again - could it be any kind of fun and considered a hobby by any means...?

Why don't you think it all started as a hobby to make a little device for his own wheel and then others ask him to make the same device for them and he enjoyed the ride? Sure, at some point some hobbies turn into profitable businesses, but I doubt this is yet one of those of which even a single person could make a living of in France: let's assume he net-earns 20EUR per CD, that means he would need to sell 1500 units per year or 8 per workday. I would say that's possible but not probable.

In the next sentence, though, which you were kind forgetting to mention, he encourages customers to visit the link "in about one week". Would you consider few months of total silence as "about one week"...?

I totally agree that he should have written two weeks instead of one week. I guess he was overly optimistic in his time management. Also, the French cultural interpretation of "in about a week" is probably close to "in about a month" (just that you know). Also, proposing to check back doesn't mean he guaranties to be back when you check back, it just means that there is a chance he will be back.

@hobby16 selling charge doctors may well be a "hobby business", much like @EUC GUY selling side pads and mud guards for Gotway EUC's.

If it's a hobby or not depends a lot of things. Stuff like priorities between it and other paid work, profit margins and why you do it.

In both the above cases, I get the distinct impression this is something they do to help others, because of the challenge, to learn and just because it's fun. The money involved helps pay for materials and machinery, but is not even close to become something they can use to pay their everyday bills - and I doubt that's even something they envision for the future.

My "tip" to hobby16 was more to avoid frustration and bad feelings among us who ordered stuff. I fully understand if he's in a situation where he can't fulfill the order immediately.

• Upvote 1

You know, guys, I think I'm already tired of this academic discussion of what is already a hobby and what is yet not. Additionally this discussion is based on assumptions and believes, not facts. All that matters is, the @hobby16 person is offering his products online, sets the price for them sells them and sends them to the clients. He also provides the email address inviting people to contact him but of late there are no responses from him whatsoever nor is he clearly explaining what are chances to get such a response from him as well as there is no information when such a response might happen - this "about week" think, as we all have already realized, is a myth. That's it. And that's frustrating, and it won't be easy to convince me this is the way it is supposed to be just because his activity is only a "hobby". This whole thread was about trying to learn what is the situation and what an individual like me can expect in regards to establishing any kind of communication with @hobby16. By the way, it would be nice of the @hobby16 to simply react to this thread and clarify the situation to all of us delight.

Edited by szaroczek

50 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

This whole thread was about trying to learn what is the situation and what an individual like me can expect in regards to establishing any kind of communication with @hobby16.

See, if you would take into account that this is not his primary business but rather a hobby that has gone slightly beyond what he had expected (and that he has never been a particularly active forum member) it would make it a lot easier for you to understand what to expect and how to deal with it. Discounting the point as academic and this-cannot-be-a-hobby, not so much. Go for it either way.

Edited by Mono

@Mono, as I explained above, I'm already tired of this path of reasoning and I won't get involved into following this direction. However, I'm gonna restate here again:

1. I'm his customer - bought his product on the 18th of Oct., 2018 and successfully RECEIVED it; every day using it with success, satisfaction and joy!

2. Since the 19th of Oct., 2018 up until now I emailed Mr. Fred 7 (seven !!!) times, inquiring about some specific features of the stuff I'd already bought as well as expressing the desire of having one more unit customized just for some specific purposes, without any response. This is no more, no less but almost... 5 months!!!

In this context stop trying to convince me I'm overreacting here by being anxious about not having answered ANY of my seven emails sent to him over the period of 5 months, will you?

Edited by szaroczek

LOL, screaming rarely helps in learning or solving problems, as it does not refusing facts. If someone doesn't read their email you can write them thousand emails and will still not get any reply. How hard is that to understand? Now you can jump up and down saying how outrageous that is for running a business which can't possibly be a hobby and assure people that you are tired of hearing that this is just a hobby of his B) It won't bring you any closer to understanding of the situation or a solution, AFAICS

By the way, since this @hobby16 entrepreneur, or "hobby" activity, as some prefer to see it, at least at this moment is not functioning anymore, are there any known alternatives to this Charge Doctor controller available on the market nowadays at all?

Edited by szaroczek

Well, since the @hobby16 person is continuously mute and additionally the are no any suggestions of any existing analogue, alternative, competing unites designed to control the charging process of electric unicycyles' batteries available on the market at all, I'm considering modifying my Charge Doctor by replacing the sockets, plugs and cables into stronger ones and possibly adding one additional socket to make them three all together. Has anybody ever tried any of these? Or, has anybody ever tried to open it, anyway? Because there are not any screws on it and it looks to me as if its plastic box is permanently glued or something... Do you think this box is closed at the screen side or the opposite, bottom one because both look so similarly and its quite hard to tell where to open it?

Edited by szaroczek

43 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

Because there are not any screws on it and it looks to me as if its plastic box is permanently glued or something... Do you think this box is closed at the screen side or the opposite, bottom one because both look so similarly and its quite hard to tell where to open it?

The top just comes off on mine very easily just unclip from the bottom I've added a msx and a z10 lead on the output end just soldered them together to the existing one

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stephen said:

I've added a msx and a z10 lead on the output end

Where did you find the correct leads to buy?

Wait a minute! you have a 87V and a 56V wheel using the same Charge Doctor.  What manner of witchcraft is this??!! Burn him! BURN HIM!!!:furious:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Where did you find the correct leads to buy?

Wait a minute! you have a 87V and a 56V wheel using the same Charge Doctor.  What manner of witchcraft is this??!! Burn him! BURN HIM!!!:furious:

I soldered both leads on the output end so i can use the charge doctor when charging my msx or z10 obviously i change chargers though as one is 84v and other is 58v  i don't always use the charge doctor . The charger cuts the voltage off when it's fully charged even if it's set to 84v in the charge doctor when left on msx settings . Maybe i might blow up but it all works correctly 😁

I just bought some gx16 pins I've ordered male and female as I'm giong to make them detachable .

IMG-20190301-182159.jpg

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, szaroczek said:

I'm considering modifying my Charge Doctor by replacing the sockets, plugs and cables into stronger ones and possibly adding one additional socket to make them three all together. Has anybody ever tried any of these?

Why not just soldering adapters to your needs? Are you planning for more than 15A charge currents?