EUC pads on body not soft (at all really)

Leyline

So I got my wheel last night... I am tall but I would imagine most people have this issue, the top of the ninebot pad presses right into the side of my shin bone because there is no muscle there.

https://imgur.com/2b01yX1   (Not me)

Is it normal that the pads on my ninebot are as hard as rubber and not foamy at all?

Any tips for how to do the 1 leg step up / step down exercises without so much pressure from the top corner of the pad into my shin bone?

I think I am going to have to go buy soccer shin guards and have them face out from the side of my leg to spread the pressure point on my shin, unless someone could tell me if I am doing something else wrong?

Thanks!

It is normal to get that shin pain while leaning, usually for the first week or so, since you’re not used to controlling the wheel. Happens to everyone. 

For technique, there are some good youtube video tutorials on how to learn to ride/mount, I’ll try to summarize the key point in most of them. You want to form a triangle with your legs and the ground, such that the leg you start the mount with (the one on the pedal) is not straight up and down, but rather at an angle. That will put a lot less pressure on your shin. Then as you push off (can’t ride standing still), gradually shift your weight over towards the center of the wheel and put your other foot on. Again, many youtube videos can explain this better than I can. 

I also found this handy guide from inmotion in my research: https://m.inmotionworld.com/blog/how-to-ride-an-electric-unicycle-scooter

Good luck! With enough practice, it will click and you’ll get it. 

Instead of hard shin pads, I used some soft knee pads (Triple 8 ExoSkin) and rotated them so that the padding faced the wheel. It made learning a lot more pleasant. You won't need them once your technique gets better, but you can continue to use them as under-clothes knee protection (if you don't want to go for the armoured robot look).

On 3/7/2019 at 10:44 PM, Leyline said:

I think I am going to have to go buy soccer shin guards and have them face out from the side of my leg to spread the pressure point on my shin, unless someone could tell me if I am doing something else wrong?

That is what I did and I couldn't have imagined to be able to learn without, it was just too painful (weighing ~80kg). It seems that most people can do without, but some apparently cannot. I used the shin pads for many months and later still mounted them on the EUC. Nowadays soft padding on the wheel suffices, but I still can't ride comfortably without padding and don't think ever will.

It hurt like hell learning, because of all the starts you do and how hard it is to get going from standstill, and that heavy hard plastic pushing into your leg. Don't worry too much about it. You can put some temporary padding on the euc, but in a couple of weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

It's likely from doing so many start stops (which you won't be doing nearly as often as you are when you're learning) and also over correcting while the wheel is moving (as you're getting the fine muscle movements down to balance).  As you get more comfortable on the wheel it will occur with enough less frequency that the little bit that remains your body easily acclimates to (and doesn't even notice).

It hurts because you are doing it wrong. Once you learn to ride you will be able to do it right. It is about wheel control. When standing with one foot on the wheel and the other on the ground you tilt the wheel and put just enough pressure on the side of your leg to control it. When lifting the other leg you keep the wheel tilted and drive into the tilt until you get your foot on the other pedal. 

If your right foot is on the wheel you would tilt the top of the wheel to the left. Do a skateboard push off start and turn left slightly until your left foot is on.

This is what most people learn to do without even thinking about it. I can do this without touching the side of the wheel. Although having slight pressure on the side helps control the wheel. 

The problem is, you have to know how to ride and control the wheel first. 

@RockyTop yes I expect to get better so it’s not an issue.  But I also think most of it is the amount of short on/offs while learning.   Also I am 6’4” and 240lbs so getting on the wheel, even barely touching the wheel before I step up, as soon as I go to step up there is a very sharp amount of pressure really low on my shins because my calf muscle is already over the top of the wheel.  I am sure that once I am only mounting once every trip, instead of 25-30 mounts in 2 hours for step on training I would not get so sensitive.  

Thanks for for her encouragement everyone.  

Use a launch assist device (lamp post, wall, car) so that you get on with two feet.  Learn to ride to the point where you can ride miles at a time without dismounting. THEN learn how to mount with one leg (assuming that is the problem you are describing).  I never used any guards on my shins when learning.

30 minutes ago, Leyline said:

@RockyTop yes I expect to get better so it’s not an issue.  But I also think most of it is the amount of short on/offs while learning.   Also I am 6’4” and 240lbs so getting on the wheel, even barely touching the wheel before I step up, as soon as I go to step up there is a very sharp amount of pressure really low on my shins because my calf muscle is already over the top of the wheel.  I am sure that once I am only mounting once every trip, instead of 25-30 mounts in 2 hours for step on training I would not get so sensitive.  

Thanks for for her encouragement everyone.  

I remember the pain you are talking about. I am close to your size. You are echoing my thoughts as a beginner.  It will get better :thumbup:

Archived