Extreme Long Distance Riding

Jerome

Just now, Lutalo said:

Nice. Looking forward to that DIY vid.

@Lutalo, won't you kill me if this will be a photo and text instructions with only commentary video? :P I promise it will be easy to understand and follow :)

21 hours ago, Jerome said:

I am planning a 100 mile Dawn-to-Dusk ride this summer with a KS18L (not XL sob..sob). I will spend 6 hours charging. That means I must execute the right ratio of speed to time, or I won't make it. It will be very hard, early in the ride, with adrenaline flowing, to ride at an even, conservative pace. We shall see. 

I am sure there are others interested in doing extreme long distance rides. To be called a Extreme Long Distance ride (ELDR) for purposes of this thread, the ride has to be a minimum of 80 km continuous. You can stop  to charge, eat, relax, but you must complete the ride as part of one riding session. If one is doing a multiple day ride, one can slip below 80 km on a given day, but the average for the whole ride must equal 80 km/day.

The challenges for my ride is my riding weight of 109 kg, and that there are NO places to get partial/quick charges except at designated locations at the end of each leg and those will be full charges from 10% or so to 100%., taking a minimum of 3 hours with 5 amp charger. I am considering using a 5 amp charger and the regular 1.5 amp charger for a total of 6.5 amp charging. I think that would still be safe .. ?

Anyone can ride fast .. who can ride long?

This is cool. I am planning a 105 mile expedition. I will be riding an XL, but I expect some lower range wheels on the ride. I calculate three charging stops will be needed for lower range wheels to get their fill. The XLs and MSXs on the ride will truly need only one starting the ride from full. I will most likely charge at each stop since its not a range test.

5 minutes ago, Seba said:

@Lutalo, won't you kill me if this will be a photo and text instructions with only commentary video? :P I promise it will be easy to understand and follow :)

Thanks dude. Appreciate it. :)👍

1 minute ago, Michael Vu said:

I rode for over 80 miles (130 km) on my Gotway Monster 2400Wh with no charging stops. It was also 100 degrees (37.8 degree C) outside. Gotway handled it like a champ.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1615743511

:cheers:

But how did your body handle it? :blink1:

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

This is cool. I am planning a 105 mile expedition. I will be riding an XL, but I expect some lower range wheels on the ride. I calculate three charging stops will be needed for lower range wheels to get their fill. The XLs and MSXs on the ride will truly need only one starting the ride from full. I will most likely charge at each stop since its not a range test.

Cool Beans! I will be riding my wheel from Union Station to the Holiday INN at Dulles Airport, for a conference in April. It looks like there is a bike trail almost the whole way. Are there any sections where I might be stopped by park rangers? The trails are dirt-gravel or paved or a mix?

22 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Cool Beans! I will be riding my wheel from Union Station to the Holiday INN at Dulles Airport, for a conference in April. It looks like there is a bike trail almost the whole way. Are there any sections where I might be stopped by park rangers? The trails are dirt-gravel or paved or a mix?

I didn't know that you were in the DMV Dude. Join DC Glydiators on meet-up and FB. We can make the ride your planning a group ride event. Don't keep that good ride to yourself; let's do that Union Station to Dulles ride together. 

The 105 miler is going to be a DC Glydiator ride Capitol Crescent Trail to Old Dominion trail out to the trailhead and back. Pretty simple, but nice and long. Hopefully, you will be able to join us on this one and many more. If you need any more info pm me.

Meet-up Link: http://meetu.ps/c/4ckYm/DMZ1W/d 

FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423932484415915/?ref=share

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Exactly. That's what I'm curious about as well. I wonder if he stopped to rest. 

1 hour ago, Michael Vu said:

I rode for over 80 miles (130 km) on my Gotway Monster 2400Wh with no charging stops. It was also 100 degrees (37.8 degree C) outside. Gotway handled it like a champ.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1615743511

Wow! Very impressive ride. Did you stop to rest?

2 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I didn't know that you were insane DMV. Dude. Join DC Glydiators on meet-up and FB. We can make the ride your planning a group ride event. Don't keep that good ride to yourself; let's do it together. 

The 105 miler is going to be a DC Glydiator ride Capitol Crescent Trail to Old Dominion trail out to the trailhead and back. Pretty simple, but nice and long. Hopefully, you will be able to join us on this one and many more. If you need any more info pm me.

Meet-up Link: http://meetu.ps/c/4ckYm/DMZ1W/d 

FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423932484415915/?ref=share

My post might have been misleading. I am based in Philadelphia and will be taking the bus/train to Union Station and riding from there. The whole thing depends on the weather. I don't mind company but It will be on a Friday around noon when I hit DC.

28 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Not sure about the rangers. I am not on the NOVA side of this cesspool, but other riders in NOVA have reported smooth sailing. I have never used old dominion trail; so, I am not sure what to expect relative to the cops. Just based on feedback though there shouldn't be a problem. I have never had any problems on the occasions I rode the 27 or Mount Vernon trails. So you should be good. If you planned your route on Komoot I can just follow you and see what the route is doing. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My body handled it fine. I'm used to hot and humid weather growing up in Texas. I was more concerned for the bicyclists we were with. Nearly half of them ended up not finishing the entire route since it was too hot. I also had Shampoo the entire time but I was able to shield her from the sun and give her plenty of water.

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

Not sure about the rangers. I am not on the NOVA side of this cesspool, but other riders in NOVA have reported smooth sailing. I have never used old dominion trail; so, I am not sure what to expect relative to the cops. Just based on feedback though there shouldn't be a problem. I have never had any problems on the occasions I rode the 27 or Mount Vernon trails. So you should be good. If you planned your route on Komoot I can just follow you and see what the route is doing

I am not familiar with Komoot, but I am interested in using a tracking program.

4 minutes ago, Jerome said:

My post might have been misleading. I am based in Philadelphia and will be taking the bus/train to Union Station and riding from there. The whole thing depends on the weather. I don't mind company but It will be on a Friday around noon when I hit DC.

Oh, OK I see. Still, April is a good distance away let's coordinate it since you are doing it anyway. If the weather permits we do it. If not we do another time. 

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

Oh, OK I see. Still, April is a good distance away let's coordinate it since you are doing it anyway. If the weather permits we do it. If not we do another time. 

B)

11 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

13 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Oh yeah of course. I was with a bicycling group so I stopped when they stopped. You can view that movement by looking at the "flyby" feature in Strava.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#1615743511?c=9v1ztwr8&z=C&t=1R4_8s&a=F0pOYIAoTmDmnE9gcBhOYJIEUGC7B05gPuFIYGtSR2AiCk5g

2 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Oh yeah of course. I was with a bicycling group so I stopped when they stopped. You can view that movement by looking at the "flyby" feature in Strava.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#1615743511?c=9v1ztwr8&z=C&t=1R4_8s&a=F0pOYIAoTmDmnE9gcBhOYJIEUGC7B05gPuFIYGtSR2AiCk5g

Very cool. 

9 hours ago, Jerome said:

I am not familiar with Komoot, but I am interested in using a tracking program.

Komoot is a great trip planning & navigation app. I use it to plan all my trips, because it allows you to plan your route to avoid certain types of surface and roads. But if you are looking for tracking app, you may be interested in my new project I'm working on. It's a special fork of WheelLog app (so Android only) that is extended to be specially useful for long rides, including tracking service. Integral part of the whole app will be a website with map on which you can see your ride and even share your ride live to friends or general public. There will be not only your track on the map (live or delayed), but also elevation profile, wheel parameters (voltage, current, power, battery level etc.) and weather.

If you're interested in becoming my betatester ;) and have Android 5.0+ mobile device, let me know. When finished, it will be available for anyone for free.

4 hours ago, Seba said:

Komoot is a great trip planning & navigation app. I use it to plan all my trips, because it allows you to plan your route to avoid certain types of surface and roads. But if you are looking for tracking app, you may be interested in my new project I'm working on. It's a special fork of WheelLog app (so Android only) that is extended to be specially useful for long rides, including tracking service. Integral part of the whole app will be a website with map on which you can see your ride and even share your ride live to friends or general public. There will be not only your track on the map (live or delayed), but also elevation profile, wheel parameters (voltage, current, power, battery level etc.) and weather.

If you're interested in becoming my betatester ;) and have Android 5.0+ mobile device, let me know. When finished, it will be available for anyone for free.

I will be a beta-tester. Let me know. 

Archived