Camuflage look

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao: I love the symbols.  Is that ones you have attacked, or how many times each of those categories has attacked you?

10 hours ago, Javierito Gar Costinha said:

well, there should be a little dog with so many bars you couldnt put them all together. if attack me Police also...... lol

i had twice police pursuit..... once the secret police was following me and enter in a wrong way street putting me in danger and almost not letting me cross the street and also i was telling them " you are doing it wrong, its the other way" and i kept rolling.......... later they stopped me.    And the other day i also had a car next to my ass, and the story goes that MADRID center has a law and my neighbourhood another law for EUC, Segway and such.... these police stopped me entering my house, but again, they put me in danger 3 times with FLASH LIGHT, not stopping in a stop and following me very very close....... when i was reaching home....  so yes, at least 1 more police bar.

To be honest i get stopped quite often and i am tired of being cool... 

11 hours ago, Javierito Gar Costinha said:

well, there should be a little dog with so many bars you couldnt put them all together. if attack me Police also...... lol

Grandpas are annoying

You can reserve the other side just for little dogs.  There is plenty of room for it

10 hours ago, Javierito Gar Costinha said:

To be honest i get stopped quite often and i am tired of being cool... 

That's too bad.  Things must really have changed after those morons killed the old lady on their rental escooter.  I remember 2 years ago, wheeling anywhere I wanted to go in Spain.  Over 5 months and 10 different towns I rode every day and no one stopped me.  "The future is here" someone once said as I wheeled past.  Well another future is here too, a future where (in some countries) wheeling brings harassment from the authorities.  I blame rental esccoters.  No one was looking at PLEVs seriously until these showed up in their thousands, pissing everyone off, and forcing the authorities to act.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, Smoother said:

That's too bad.  Things must really have changed after those morons killed the old lady on their rental escooter.  I remember 2 years ago, wheeling anywhere I wanted to go in Spain.  Over 5 months and 10 different towns I rode every day and no one stopped me.  "The future is here" someone once said as I wheeled past.  Well another future is here too, a future where (in some countries) wheeling brings harassment from the authorities.  I blame rental esccoters.  No one was looking at PLEVs seriously until these showed up in their thousands, pissing everyone off, and forcing the authorities to act.

You said it. We've gone from entirely unregulated to a chaotic and messy attempt of overly bureaucratic regulation. 

By law, outside big cities that have put local regulations in place, PEVs don't legally exist. We're in a gray area somewhere between bicycles and skateboards (non-boosted). 

Technically, we can do whatever the hell we want. The day before yesterday I asked a municipal cop where I was allowed to ride and where not. He replied that I can ride in bike lanes and on sidewalks (at the pace of a pedestrian in the latter case). When I asked him about riding on the road, he said that it's not legally forbidden but that he didn't advise it due to the risk it entailed for ME. When I explained that cars are more predictable and it's the easiest option for me, as I don't see sidewalks as a viable option for and bike lanes are too chaotic (pedestrians see them as a different-coloured extension of the sidewalk), he told me that if I'm willing to accept the risk, there's nothing illegal about it. 

Yesterday I asked 3 different police and got the same exact answer from all three. 

Today I got pulled over for riding on the road in the city centre (max. 50 kph area). I was told I'm only allowed to ride in bike lanes and on the sidewalk. They can't fine me because there's no law against it, but it comes to prove how incompetent the public administration is handling the issue... Not even police understand the law...

Or respect it, for that matter, as @Javierito Gar Costinhapointed out (police tailing him without respecting safety distances, cops going driving along one way road in the wrong direction...) [Sigh...] 

So until nation wide regulations are implemented in June (those are nasty: any PEV that can go faster than 25 km/h will be in the same category as a 50cc scooter and require license plates and the whole deal), I plan on enjoying the anarchy and legal void and doing whatever the feck I want (needles to say, safely, respecting traffic rules and without endangering anyone, pedestrians in particular).

Edit / update : since my original post, I got pulled over again... For riding on the sidewalk... 😂 

@travsformation this is bad news, especially the new laws coming in June.  This 25kph thing, is that based on manufacturers specs or can you show a cop, if stopped, that your app is set to 25kph max? I was looking forward to spending a lot of time in Spain in the coming years, I think Portugal is calling my name?

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

@travsformation this is bad news, especially the new laws coming in June.  This 25kph thing, is that based on manufacturers specs or can you show a cop, if stopped, that your app is set to 25kph max? I was looking forward to spending a lot of time in Spain in the coming years, I think Portugal is calling my name?

It's an issue we're all wondering and fretting about...

Technically, we all need "official wheel certification" to see what category our EUCs fit into, but that's (supposedly) the manufacturer's responsibility ( the same as with a car manufacturer introducing a new vehicle). Aand we all know we can count on good ol' Chinese companies not to do a half assed job...they'd never leave us hanging, would they...? :facepalm:

Having said that, until now EUC imports in Spain (and much of Europe)  have benefited from a legal loophole (even though the law hasn't come into place yet...Insightful Chinese lawyer/marketers and terrible app developers?), where their official factory speed is 25 km/h on paper, and only "professional riders" are granted the right to go past the factory speeds. Thus, the responsibility of unlocking the wheel past factory speed weighs on users. How that will play out (Will factory speed limits be taken account for EUC certification, or will the government stick to wheels' maximum speed, regardless of factory settings?) is anyone's guess. But I very seriously doubt the app will come into play...

As one of the local cops told me, "PEVs have been on the scene, and regulated, in other European countries, for quite some time. The government could have anticipated this and taken a sensible approach, but instead, they did nothing, waited 'til things escalated, and when, eventually, a fatality occurred (and made the headlines), they decided to take drastic and hurried action to soothe the public outrage."

'Tis pretty much the way of Spain...

Although I must admit, I have my suspicions that these "threats" are little more than scare tactics meant to hinder sales so they can buy some time while they try to figure out WTF to do....

As I said, it's anyone's guess, so we're all just enjoying the ride [insert double entendre Vicky reference here] while we wait to see what happens. The one benefit of this kind of bureaucratic incompetence is that even if these regulations do come into effect, we'll still have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves while confusion overwhelms the police force, which will be hesitant to dish out  fines that'll give their departments (and bosses) so much legally uncertain paperwork that they'll probably opt to turn the blind eye...

But that's on a national level. Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla, etc., do have their own regulations, so one has to do his homework before "setting wheel" in any given city. But outside cities, 'tis all a legal vacuum. So....rural Spain and then towards Portugal? Let me know if you pop by the area. "Camino de Santiago" 'til EUC anarchy is abolished, and then southward through Portugal?   :D

There have been discussions here before about what negative results might occur due to the irresponsible actions of an individual rider (e.g Mr. "respect the beep" wiping out at high speed on a Teslain the middle of Miami, almost smashing a Porsche parked near by).  This death by an individual act (two people, on one scooter I assume, killing a 93 year old lady)  Is proof positive that each of us has responsibility to maintain a role of good ambassador when we ride.  We can be legislated against on a local, state, or national level as the result of a single stupid act.

Is there any chance of lobbying the authorities in Spain to not lump in EUCs with electric scooters?  There are so few of us and because we own our own expensive machines, with extensive training, we are not part of the "anyone with a pulse can ride" rental scooter problem

Camino de Santiago, where is that?  I found two links; one in the far west, and one in the centre of Barcelona.

OOPS! another thread derailed.  Sorry @Javierito Gar Costinha 

49 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There have been discussions here before about what negative results might occur due to the irresponsible actions of an individual rider (e.g Mr. "respect the beep" wiping out at high speed on a Teslain the middle of Miami, almost smashing a Porsche parked near by).  This death by an individual act (two people, on one scooter I assume, killing a 93 year old lady)  Is proof positive that each of us has responsibility to maintain a role of good ambassador when we ride.  We can be legislated against on a local, state, or national level as the result of a single stupid act.

I agree that the problem originated with rental scooters. Then came irresponsible parents buying teenagers e-scooters capable of ridiculous speeds....

I also agree about personal responsibility (whether one's on foot, riding a bicycle or PEV, or driving a car. Unfortunately, common sense tends to be the least common of all senses... :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Is there any chance of lobbying the authorities in Spain to not lump in EUCs with electric scooters?  There are so few of us and because we own our own expensive machines, with extensive training, we are not part of the "anyone with a pulse can ride" rental scooter problem

I very seriously doubt it. We're all lumped in to a same package which is based on power output and speed:

2ns0qv7.jpg

(top pic misleading: the journalist who made this clearly doesn't know much about EUCs....)

np57ar.jpg

So...as you can see, there's not much sense in the way this has been set up. Even my 800W V8 is technically in the same category (L1e) as 250W+ scooters.... (which is why we've all got our fingers crossed that they'll take factory speed into account, in which case we'd be in "vehículos de movilidad personal" category (PEVs) .

As to lobbying...we're way too niche to put on any real pressure. Add that to the fact the DGT (General Traffic Directorate) is pressing the current government to pass this legislation before the upcoming elections, and you have a recipe for half-baked, rushed, badly thought-out regulations....

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Camino de Santiago, where is that?  I found two links; one in the far west, and one in the centre of Barcelona.

'tis the (Christian) pilgrimage that people from all around Europe have been doing to Santiago de Compostela (where the remains of St. James were supposedly discovered) since the 9th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

1920px-Ways_of_St._James_in_Europe.png

People do it on foot, bicycle, usually starting from the South of France (routes 1 and 2, as seen below):

Rutas-Camino-de-Santiago-Marly-Camino-II

Nowadays, most folks do it not so much for religious reasons but because of the personal challenge it involves to spend weeks on end walking 20-30 km/day, and the social aspect of meeting people along the way who decided they needed a few sabbatical months, for whatever reason. There are tons of old inns and specific hostels (dirt cheap), and when I've been (in my RV hehe) in soem of the main hotspots and talked to folks doing the path (camino), the general atmosphere and vibe is fantastic.

Just an idea....but it would be awesome to do an an EUC. Any volunteers? ;)

As to thread derailing, @Javierito Gar Costinha, maybe you can add some stickers and lines for politicians and bureaucrats to your EUC :efef2e0fff:

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Just an idea....but it would be awesome to do an an EUC. Any volunteers? ;)

I'd definitely be up for that (maybe route #5), If I could park my RV somewhere close.  There was a TV show here recently where a group of minor celebrities did the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage. It looked beautiful , but no way would I walk it. BTW, that's no where near Barcelona.  Is this the town where you're trying to paint a target on you back with all the bad drivers?

23 hours ago, Smoother said:

but no way would I walk it.

I never suggested walking it :P  It goes by stages, with about 20-30 km/day. On an EUC, that kind of distance would be a very laid back trip, and leave plenty of time for relaxing and taking in the sights.

I'd definitely be up for that (maybe route #5), If I could park my RV somewhere close.

I'm seriously considering taking a month off and doing no. 1 or no. 2 on the 18XL, could cover plenty of ground per day. I hear the hostels on the Camino are very cheap, but sharing a room with 9 other people...not my cup of tea, I like my space and privacy. I've considered free camping, but would need to be able to charge the wheel every 2-3 days. Too bad my girlfriend isn't keen on driving the RV, or I could have her chauffeur around our mobile home...:efee612b4b:

BTW, what kind of RV do you have? I have a 1988 Hymer:

dvin0j.jpg

that's no where near Barcelona.  Is this the town where you're trying to paint a target on you back with all the bad drivers?

Hahaha nah, I love 1/2 from Barcelona. Was in Santiago de Compostela a couple of years ago--took a 1-year break from sedentary life and toured Spain with the trusty ol' RV. I reckon it's about time to do that again. Travelling with an EUC will give me a chance to do much more exploring and park in more remote areas. Not sure when I'll get round to doing so, but am anxious to hit the road...

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

BTW, what kind of RV do you have? I have a 1988 Hymer:

iPhone 612iPhone 622

1995 Fleetwood Flair, pulled by a Chevy 454ci V8 (7.4l) man can this thing drink fuel.  I get about 1 mile for 60p (80c). you can just make out the 4 PV panels I installed last summer (1000W total)

The interior has been modernized quite nicely, and there is a lovely Tempurpedic 100% memory foam mattress on the bed.  I sleep very well when I'm on board.

I like the idea of your year long trip, I'm on a sort of trip myself right now(not in the RV), I honestly have no idea where I will be writing my posts from 6 months from now.

An interesting side note: in the second picture, my "bus" as I call it, is in the garden of a very interesting man.  He provided (retired now) cars and motorcycles to the British film and TV industry for over forty years.  In that shed, visible behind the bus he built the Motorcycle and side car outfit that Hagrid rode in the Harry Potter films.

motorbike.jpg

BTW I translated this "Hahaha nah, I love 1/2 from Barcelona" to mean, "I live 1/2 an hour from Barcelona"  was I correct in doing so?

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

1995 Fleetwood Flair, pulled by a Chevy 454ci V8 (7.4l) man can this thing drink fuel.  I get about 1 mile for 60p (80c). you can just make out the 4 PV panels I installed last summer (1000W total)

Wow that thing is massive! You'd need a bus driving license here to drive that!

And I thought mine was a fuel guzzler (95hp, 2.5 l turbo-diesel). And ...1000W in PV, wow! I doubt you'll have any trouble charging your wheel(s) :efee612b4b:

I used to have 2 x 150W, but currently only have 1 (that's what happens for buying cheap Chinese panels). I replaced them with 1 good- quality, black-cell PV, and it's been fine for what I've been doing (lights, water pump, charging phones & tablet, etc.). The 250A auxiliary battery has been more than enough too. But that was before I delved into EUC madness...looks like I'll have to wait 'til I'm no longer broke to install a couple more.

I like the idea of your year long trip, I'm on a sort of trip myself right now(not in the RV), I honestly have no idea where I will be writing my posts from 6 months from now.

Sounds cool. And vague enough that you've piqued my interest! No more details? ;)

An interesting side note: in the second picture, my "bus" as I call it, is in the garden of a very interesting man.  He provided (retired now) cars and motorcycles to the British film and TV industry for over forty years.  In that shed, visible behind the bus he built the Motorcycle and side car outfit that Hagrid rode in the Harry Potter films.

Wow, cool! I've always wondered what kind of folks rented out antique cars for films. Must be an interesting character. So he did that himself? Nice!

BTW I translated this "Hahaha nah, I love 1/2 from Barcelona" to mean, "I live 1/2 an hour from Barcelona"  was I correct in doing so?

hahahaha yepp, you're correct :efee612b4b:

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

Wow that thing is massive! You'd need a bus driving license here to drive that!

And I thought mine was a fuel guzzler (95hp, 2.5 l turbo-diesel). And ...1000W in PV, wow! I doubt you'll have any trouble charging your wheel(s) :efee612b4b:

I used to have 2 x 150W, but currently only have 1 (that's what happens for buying cheap Chinese panels). I replaced them with 1 good- quality, black-cell PV, and it's been fine for what I've been doing (lights, water pump, charging phones & tablet, etc.). The 250A auxiliary battery has been more than enough too. But that was before I delved into EUC madness...looks like I'll have to wait 'til I'm no longer broke to install a couple more.

Sounds cool. And vague enough that you've piqued my interest! No more details? ;)

Wow, cool! I've always wondered what kind of folks rented out antique cars for films. Must be an interesting character. So he did that himself? Nice!

hahahaha yepp, you're correct :efee612b4b:

Yes it's big, but when I go travelling in it I want it to be a home from home, as much as possible. It's not a touring van, it's definitely an A to B then park it up, van.  I have a motorcycle carrier for the back onto which will go my Suzuki SV650.

Slightly colorful language in the box.  Don't open, if you are prone to clicking negative votes when every you read something you don't like.

Spoiler

Because they are so numerous, the SV650 is nick named the "Suzuki Clitoris" because every Cu%t's seems to have one.

You must give me a link to that 250Ah battery.

Oh, and if I run out of sun juice, I have a 4kW generator underneath, but I try to run it as little as possible, because of the noise

Archived