Speed limiter

^tom^

is it possible to build a speed-limiter in the wheel some how?

I like to buy a GW18 but I need a speed limiter to 20km/h.

So I can proof, it is not running faster then 20km/h by law.

Poti version welcome!

Any mods arround?

Stability and power are desirable even without speed! That is why I have ordered a high torque version of the M18.

How many M18 owners have taken them over 30 kph and how often are they likely to do so?

High torque in my opinion is going to make extreme leans such as Austin likes to use to test wheels recoverable.

Maybe it's just me. My quad bikes are both diesel high torque versions that can tow lwb land rover out of trouble but only have a top speed of 45 mph.

My 4x4 is a 5 litre V10 Touareg I just like power!

Just curious.  Why would you buy a GW18 then limit it to 20 km/h?  Thought the whole point of GW18 is to go fast and stable.

Because of the law!

But a switch or better a electronic by a app that give the limiter free until you turn the wheel off.....that will be perfect.

• 4 months later...

To limit only the speed is one thing you need to be street legal. Tom is talking about the situation in Switzerland/ Europe. If you get an approval of a type you can drive it with a small licence plate on street. We're the first country having this. German gov is currently looking into this issue also. I suggest that they'll follow the way Switzerland defined. So all other countries in Europe will follow. The direct and the hidden requirements are changing the quality/ reliability of EUs.

There's no EU currently on the market to be accepted to start with the approval of a type process. The maturity is way to low. The basic requirement is safety reliability. And then you can discuss on lights, speed limit 20 km/h, brake power and so on. 

And for speed limit: It's not allowed to be changed easily by the end user. So no way to switch between street and off-road mode.

IMO, I think the T350/121 is pretty damn close to a possible 'EU accepted Wheel.' Has a sensibly programmed tilt-back, feels safe to ride, has tons of surplus power, & a decent safety record.

If they are to regulate eWheels there ought to be two or more classification categories: one for use in an Urban densely populated, inter-mode use (pavements & cycle-paths) that has a top-speed of 20kph; another for cycle-paths where there is a requirement for knee/elbow protection along with a helmet & the speed can be permitted up to 30kph. In this type-two mode, manufacturers could (must?) incorporate a visual cue to warn the rider/bystanders when they are transgressing into the other mode.  

There are some riders who bring up the perfectly valid argument that if the eWheels are to share cycle routes with bikes, then the top speed must be able to keep up with cycle traffic, which is about 25-30kph. The counterpoint to this argument is that eWheels are statistically more accident prone than bikes [besides all the reliability issues] because of the fact that, unlike a bike, if power is momentarily lost, the rider inevitable takes a fall & at those speeds, a graceful ending on your feet is pretty unlikely. This can be partially mitigated through obligatory safety kit, but the general attitude of eWheel riders (including myself) is that this is an inconvenience.

At the end of the day either the speeds have to come down to fit within an acceptable 'safe' operating window, or restrictions will have to be imposed if using on cycle-routes & roads.

You are only breaking the 'law' if you drive over the 'speed limit' just like cars.  You think the cops will get you in a speed trap? If on foot, you can out run them, if in car, I want to see the video of the car chase, that would be precious....

But in most European countries the EU is breaking the law by just being on the street. As Gaston mentioned, the first goal is to get the general approval for the typ of vehicle. And as such it has to comply with existing regulations (in Switzerland). Which hopefully would lead to other countries to follow. As far as I am aware, Austria is one of the few countries on the continent where one can ride an EU on public streets and parks.

Once Tom got his EU approved, I am sure he will handle the speed limiter responsibly ?.

Archived