KS 18 XL mud flap / mud guard / fender in practice

hal2000

There was much discussion about aesthetics (which is secondary on my importance list) but I can’t find anything about performance.

Can anyone provide any feedback whether the new fender/mudguard/mudflap (the one that comes as standard on 18xl) is better or worse when compared to the previous one (famous “mudsack” ; )

I am first and foremost interested in which one performs better in actually protecting against mud  : )

3 hours ago, hal2000 said:

There was much discussion about aesthetics (which is secondary on my importance list) but I can’t find anything about performance.

Can anyone provide any feedback whether the new fender/mudguard/mudflap (the one that comes as standard on 18xl) is better or worse when compared to the previous one (famous “mudsack” ; )

I am first and foremost interested in which one performs better in actually protecting against mud  : )

I have the old one on my KS18L. @Jens Ronnedal has a KS18XL with the new style. We went for a ride when there was a little snow and ice patches still but most was melting ss we drove around. We went  like 10km out and took a break and then back again. 

Old style: minior platter on wheel and almost none on my pants.

New style: a lot of splatter. Jens has a picture in his review thread. But he went for a longer ride after I had to quit for the day.

I am considering to buy a KS18XL as a second wheel. But I will try to get an old style mudguard ss I think it is much bettet, looks doesn't bother me.

I haven't had an opportunity to go mudballing on my wheels. I have both wheels; 18XL, and 18L. In regular street riding and going through small puddles I honestly haven't noticed a difference. 

Functionally, I am sure that they are both fairly effective, but it seems to me that the 18L would be a little more wetbutt resistant because the mudflap is longer.  

Aesthetically, I had talked a bunch of junk about how much I preferred the "nutsack" style of the 18L's mudflap, to the 18XL's "giraffe tooth." However, in person and up close the XL's mudflap looks better integrated; less of an "oh by the way we should probably slap a mudflap on this big baby" design afterthought. 

Just my two Yen. 

32 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I haven't had an opportunity to go mudballing on my wheels. I have both wheels; 18XL, and 18L. In regular street riding and going through small puddles I honestly haven't noticed a difference. 

Functionally, I am sure that they are both fairly effective, but it seems to me that the 18L would be a little more wetbutt resistant because the mudflap is longer.  

Aesthetically, I had talked a bunch of junk about how much I preferred the "nutsack" style of the 18L's mudflap, to the 18XL's "giraffe tooth." However, in person and up close the XL's mudflap looks better integrated; less of an "oh by the way we should probably slap a mudflap on this big baby" design afterthought. 

Just my two Yen. 

thats funny my thinking was the exact opposite haha.. the new style mudflap is extremely similar to gotways and being that is very squared, imo does not match the kingsong look at all, they have always been about rounded whereas gotway is typically square.. to me the original mudflap suits the kingsong style more, and i watched a few youtube videos before purchasing.. one which showed a comparison between the two and it was no match the longer old style performed much better

46 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

thats funny my thinking was the exact opposite haha.. the new style mudflap is extremely similar to gotways and being that is very squared, imo does not match the kingsong look at all, they have always been about rounded whereas gotway is typically square.. to me the original mudflap suits the kingsong style more, and i watched a few youtube videos before purchasing.. one which showed a comparison between the two and it was no match the longer old style performed much better

Aesthetics are a matter of taste. If you read some of my older posts on the topic you will see that once upon a time I would have agreed with you; before I actually had time to admire them both closely,  and side-by-side.

Owed to its longer length, I agree that the nutsack probably works a bit better for keeping your butt dry longer. On the other hand, I ain't the best person to ask because I don't usually off-road, or take my babies out in inclement weather. If I am riding in the rain it's because I was caught out riding when it began; but I don't unveil my to wheels to ride in those conditions. 

IMG_20190301_153648.jpg

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

Aesthetics are a matter of taste. If you read some of my older posts on the topic you will see that once upon a time I would have agreed with you; before I actually had time to admire them both closely,  and side-by-side.

Owed to its longer length, I agree that the nutsack probably works a bit better for keeping your butt dry longer. On the other hand, I ain't the best person to ask because I don't usually off-road, or take my babies out in inclement weather. If I am riding in the rain it's because I was caught out riding when it began; but I don't unveil my to wheels to ride in those conditions. 

IMG_20190301_153648.jpg

I agree totally personal taste.. for me I also have both and highly prefer the nutsack xD

Archived