Motor noise after crash

null

My Ninebot One S2 went flying into a utility pole a few weeks back, resulting in pretty much the most violent crash possible save concrete wall.

Since then the wheel doesn’t turn as smooth as it should: a slight grating with a even pitch possibly aligned with the stepper segments, which again has worse and better areas. When powered off this is repeateable.

To add to the complexity, the (or another) scraping apears when accelerating or pushing the motor. It is not really heard but felt. Sometimes it is there constantly, sometimes not.

The wheel is not grating against the housing, it has been disassembled since then. Not pedal on hub either, as the sound / feeling has a stepper motor feel to it.

Any suggestions to what could be the issue? Would a bent hub cap be outright dangerous or just annoying? I suppose it shouldn’t be the bearings as the shell should have cracked first? Replacing the motor isn’t really an option considering, if it was available it would be expensive..

Thanks for reading and any help.

Since you have ruled out shell and pedal issues. It sounds like the motor.  There are two critical tolerance zones in your motor.  One is the obvious air gap between the rotor and the armature, the other is the gap on either side of the magnets and the "hub caps" as you call them.  If your wheel is bent, even slightly in either or both of these areas, scraping could occur.

Thanks for the reply, yes from a few weeks of observation i’m afraid it comes from inside the motor. Are the coils so close to one of the two gaps that they could be scraping? Can a magnet go loose? That could explain that the vibration is intermittent when riding..

It would be interesting to check inside, but possibly more risk that what could be fixed. (If tiny bend for instance)

1 hour ago, Mimolette said:

Can a magnet go loose?

Anything's possible.  They are packed in there very tightly and glued,  I suspect not. It might be something you never get to the bottom of.  FYI I've recently noticed a new noise from my KS16S. It grumbles, like a dog starting to defend a bone, when slowly climbing a steep hill.  I suspect I will never find a solution either.  Maybe I'll have to name this one Lassie too.

Hehe, mine skurs / vibrates a bit more when accelerating / doing effort (not the same as the even one when braking / downhill), maybe some common traits :)

Edit: So I got a new S2, and it has the same slight occasional grinding.. maybe it's just the sound of cheap motor..

Archived