advice for a new buyer

piu

I went the way @LosCal did and got a $300 "beater wheel" to learn on, which can't go that fast but is fine for messing around and doing tricks. When I wanted more speed and range I upgraded to the Firewheel which was about $700. For both you and @ilovehotshot I think the Ninebot and King Song are getting the best reviews today, I'd probably go with one of those but you still have to decide on battery capacity and wheel size.

I still ride my beater wheel on campus over the nb1. Less flashy, lighter, and hides underneath an auditorium chair. Less fear of getting stolen. 

@piu - I don't think you should have doubts.  If you slow down when you hear a warning beep there should never be any failure.  I always enjoy riding at any speed.  Why rush when you're enjoying the ride?

(Yes I understand if forced on a very straight path for a long way would be bored, but you can always fiddle with your phone, open up a book if it's such a boring ride - lol  :D )

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2015 at 6:49 PM, Gimlet said:

I would say that the 16" IPS 132 makes a really good solid, safe, and powerful wheel which would be ideal for a regular short comute.

The IPS 132 has IMHO dangerously weak brakes. On the positive side in this context: it doesn't go very fast, maybe 17-18km/h. Still I wouldn't recommend it for daily commuting unless you think (emergency) braking is a non-issue on your path. Having said that, it might well be that most cheap and/or first-generation wheels have this problem.

for a beginner i recommend wind rider, its faster than most cheap wheels (up to 25km/h) its got a really tough shell (i have smashed mine into a concrete wall trying a trick and broke concrete off the wall and my wind rider was fine), its good quality, has 1 year warranty and will last for a long time. can be passed down through the whole family as a learner wheel and keep going. i have done over 8000km on mine and stil using it every day. im upgrading now because i want to go faster for longer but my wind rider has served me very well. my 1st wheel was a cheap slow clone and that didnt last very long at all. wind rider is tons better than the clone and there not much more price wise. if you can only afford a low spec wheel get a wind rider or just keep saving up because the other cheap wheels are junk

2 hours ago, dalewalker said:

i recommend wind rider

One thing I noticed right away: cool shell designs. I haven't seen shells this cool since the Flamebot.

In this video riding at "warning speed," I think that's a pretty good speed for a wheel in this class. I know my TG wheels (T3 and F3) can't go anywhere close to this speed. And he's getting only moderate tiltback. My TG wheels are annoying because they give severe tiltback at way too slow speed.

WindRider1.jpg

WindRider2.jpg

On 03/10/2015 at 3:42 AM, esaj said:
1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

Only problem is for a while it hurts your legs where it digs in at the top, you do get used to it or alternatively you can wear pads Like the CTR (crash test research) shin pads

Archived