advice for a new buyer

piu

Hello !  I would like if someone could help me...I want to buy a euc. I'm forty and I'm only want it to go to work (three kms far from my house). My weight is arround 80 kgs and i'm looking for a cheap unicycle (I'm not going special things with it). I read about H1. What your opinion? Any other model?

Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance

That link goes to a 14" version Jason. But I would say that the 16" IPS 132 makes a really good solid, safe, and powerful wheel which would be ideal for a regular short comute.

16" being safer for an often repeated route as the concentration required on a smaller diameter wheel may wander occasionally if repeated daily. :)

The H1 is my first wheel and the one with all the scratches(the wheel I learned on).I would suggest it as a good choice since it has the low battery tilt back feature and is relatively cheap.I beat the hell out of it learning to ride and it still works fine.Having swappable battery capacity is also a plus.I'm 6' and 200lbs. and can get 5-6 miles per charge on the 132wh battery. 

18" is great for commuting but is definately less outright fun than smaller wheels because of the lack of manoeuvrability.

14" is fairly manoeuvrable and a lot of fun and can also cope with long journeys but on a regular comute you are liable to get a little complacent after the first 50-100 journeys and if your concentration lapses and you fail to notice a lump or bump at speed you are very likely to come off. On a 16" you have a much better chance of staying up/survival in these situations and they are still manoeuvrable enough to be fun and negotiate busy pedestrian filled pavements.

I did the busiest shopping street in Bath several times in the run up to last Christmas on my IPS132's.

Plus because despite having high power they don't have a particularly high top speed they are very economic on power use and they're 260wh battery is good for anything up to about 15 miles. 

I am, or was, in the same situation as OP. On an impulse buy, I just decided to go with the cheapest wheel I could find in the US. I found the generic auto balance wheel "sport" for 275. I wanted to spend the minimum amount possible to try the technology. So far I like it. It could use a little more power for a guy my size, I am right around the weight limit, so I had a hard time getting started on even a slight grade. 

What should I get when I upgrade, I would like to stay in the 600-800 USD range. I would just be using it for fun, and getting around campus. I cant imagine going more than a few miles a day. 

I also need help deciding.  50 yr old woman, 5'8 185 lbs.  Only want one for fun.  I am not extreme.  Just like to have fun.  May use it to walk the dog if I get good enough.  Probably will not get a lot of use.  Maybe go to the grocery store and park far away.  Grab a cart and put it inside while shopping.  Shop then ride to the car.  I do have a 15 year old son but he is even more cautious than I am.  He will use it a lot at first but he is a computer nerd and once he is able to ride it he will lose interest.  I would love to hear opinions.  Smooth non bouncy ride is important at my age.  I can always get a second one or upgrade if I find that I use it a lot. May even want to go off road some on hiking trails. Thanks, Shawn

I went the way @LosCal did and got a $300 "beater wheel" to learn on, which can't go that fast but is fine for messing around and doing tricks. When I wanted more speed and range I upgraded to the Firewheel which was about $700. For both you and @ilovehotshot I think the Ninebot and King Song are getting the best reviews today, I'd probably go with one of those but you still have to decide on battery capacity and wheel size.

Hello !  I would like if someone could help me...I want to buy a euc. I'm forty and I'm only want it to go to work (three kms far from my house). My weight is arround 80 kgs and i'm looking for a cheap unicycle (I'm not going special things with it). I read about H1. What your opinion? Any other model?

Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the H1 will do what you want, and is probably the cheapest 'safe' option by a fair margin. IPS132 16" (be careful because there's a 14" model which is completely different) would be great too though I think it's at least a couple hundred dollars more after shipping? King Song has a few models with different motors/battery capacity, the cheapest is about the same price as IPS. Other than that I'm not aware of any wheels that are under ~1000 USD and also safe with regard to BMS cutout.

EDIT: Though personally I don't think I could stand for any wheel with top speed less than 25-30kph... on long, straight/flat sections of road/sidewalk it can seriously feel like you are crawling - think jogging pace, as opposed to riding-a-bicycle pace.

Thanks all for your advices... now I'm looking where to buy... unfortunately in spain there aren't many options... i'm looking on the web... any recommendation?

Any chinesse web with guarantee of genuine and original euc? They are cheaper

Thanks in advance

in this Forum there are several sellers active, as you found out already in other threads. I guess those that expose themselves here in the forum are legit sellers that cant afford to sell bad things, they got a public reputation to uphold.

If a name and logo change were to happen, can you imagine the wave of older KS owners scrambling to get new Westernized / Cooler "KS" silkscreen logos shipped to them to replace the older logo on their current units?

Not that I would ask for such a thing....

(OK yes, I probably, maybe, most 100% definitely would :P )

Note: This post was meant to go into the "What's wrong with Airwheels?" thread here. Near the bottom of the page, where we talk of them changing their name and logo.  It ended up here by "accident" (Need to stop watching EUC videos while posting...)

If a name and logo change were to happen, can you imagine the wave of older KS owners scrambling to get new Westernized / Cooler "KS" silkscreen logos shipped to them to replace the older logo on their current units?

Not that I would ask for such a thing....

(OK yes, I probably, maybe, most 100% definitely would :P )

King Songs are re-branded as "Milbays" in Australia:  http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/MB18GTS

Yeah I saw that in my Youtube search for the elusive KS 18" (shows a middle aged guy very moving along the sidewalk, not exactly the best marketing video as it immediately made me not want one hehe)... Interesting. It definitely has that Aussy sound doesn't it? 

It seems like a company in Australia may have purchased the rights to distribute and rebrand in the US as their website seems more developed.

@piu , I echo the sentiments you have read already.

I have a 2 mi commute, and my TG T3 (14 inch, 350 W, 132 kwh, 19 kph max) is a slow, pokey commute, battery indicator at 1/2 when I get there (work is up a big hill) and I step off and carry EU over some of the big bumps.  I just got an IPS 191 (16 inch, 1000 W, 340 kwh, 30 kph max, wider 2.5 inch tire) and it is faster, more stable, and less wobbly over bumps. The first cost $300 the second cost $1000. I think you could make your commute with either, (and even more expensive models!) it just depends on how you want your commute to go.

If you haven't heard the warnings already: your legs will hurt at first. you will fall. It will seem impossible for a 1-7 day period of time. Don't push beyond speed or battery warnings or you will go down. True some EUs are more predictable in their low battery behavior, but you can get hurt on one that is running perfectly.

I had such an elated sense of accomplishment the first time I commuted on the EU, and I am eager to hear of your first successful trip!

@ilovehotshot , This is exactly how I felt when I was first considering getting an EU. I went for the cheapest one I could find where I felt like the seller had some possibility of being reliable. Having that entry level EU was so much fun, and in spite of the scrapes I was always searching for free time to practice. My 13 year old son and I learned together taking turns (he learned faster!) and the fact that we both ride was the greatest motivation to get a second EU. Good luck!

We visited one of my son's friends today on our tour. The friend gives it a try. Hops up, falls off. Hops up, and does a lap around the house! The world belongs to the young! So maybe we will have a new riding partner, but more likely they will leave me behind!

I think that visibility and popularity are increasing, but that is probably a nonscientific bias since I'm looking for it everywhere! I do see a heck of a lot more exposure for hoverboards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your advices...

The more I read, the more doubts I have... 

Now I'm thinking in ninebot one c...

Almost all of the units that I'm seeing, have had some  problems (zero, ips 130, ninebot with the update for the mobil)...

I'll let you my final decission...

Archived