V5F no sound: is it still safe?

winter9

I have a problem with sound on my inMotion V5F (non-plus version). When it first arrived, there were sounds for: turning on/off, front light on/off, motor disengage button press and, most importantly, "danger, slow down" for reaching maximum speed. After a short test of how the wheel worked (which included lifting the wheel off the ground without pressing "motor disengage" button to test overspeeding alarm) I connected to the wheel from inMotion Android app. As far as I remember, I didn't have the sound from that point onward, so it seems to me that connecting the app broke the sound, although I may have also stepped on the V5F shortly after turning it on before the balancing was on (someone mentioned it in another thread as possible cause of broken sound) and I might have also turned it on while it was lifted off the ground. One thing I tried to do to fix it was to swipe down on the main app screen, as (during swiping) there is a speaker icon on the bottom (and swiping up, towards the light icon, turns on the light, so I thought I have disabled the sound accidentally). Unfortunately, still nothing

I haven't disassembled the wheel, so improper wire connection does not seem likely.

See attached screenshots from inMotion app related to sound. One of them shows "Sound files damaged or non exist" error message.
When connected to V5F via WheelLog, the volume/sound slider is on "zero" and after sliding it all the way to the right, it resets to "zero" immediately after I lift my finger off the screen.

In another thread, for a similar case (though: I don't have ANY sound and the other person had sound for turning on V5F, so not the same), people (including @Jason McNeil) recommended replacing the motherboard to restore the sound. Since it's not an option for me (it was bought second-hand and there are no local sources for inMotion parts), my most important question is: IS IT STILL SAFE to ride the V5F with the sound off? In other words, is damaged sound a symptom for the more serious flaw (such as balancing or tilt-back not working)? If I can live without sound warnings and rely only on tilt-back for safe speed, should I continue to ride it?

In another thread @Jason McNeil  mentioned "sound package on the board is corrupt & just needs to pushed to the Wheel from the App", but I see no option for that in the InMotion app.

Also, there is a "reset" hole above charging port on my V5F. Would using it solve the sound issue? Will the wheel work as usual after reset or is there some configuration that needs to be done after the reset is performed?

volume-max.png

sound-files-damaged.png

sound-enabled.png

I had this problem a while back and I believe you could try to send a new sound pack to the board through the sound customization tab. Purchase the default system soundpack. 

If I remember correctly, try placing the V5F (turned on) sitting on its front end and then see if you can update the sound through the app.

• Like 2

Thanks, @Blank. It worked! I clicked "Purchase", then "Download" and "Apply" and after several minutes the audio transferred to my V5F and it now works as new (with the exception of "danger, slow down" now being only beeping, which I actually prefer). In case anyone with the same problem wonders how to put turned on V5F on the front: turn it on in upfront position and then use motor disengage button on the handle to rotate the wheel to its front (it might seem obvious, but better to note that).

Was your V5F behaving correctly (in other aspects) after this sound update? I am just wondering if the sound files are so easy to accidentally get damaged, what about more vital features, especially those relating to safety. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you fixed your problem. Only had this issue the first time I connected my V5F and there was no problems after fixing it. I don't expect your sound files to get damaged just out of nowhere. The default sound pack has the beeping. I think the English sound pack has voices as a warning. 

Edited by Blank

On 3/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, Blank said:

If I remember correctly, try placing the V5F (turned on) sitting on its front end and then see if you can update the sound through the app.

I had this same problem with mine. You need to turn it on press the spin button and rest it on its back side, with power still on resend the sounds . That should take care of it, at least it did for me.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:28 PM, Blank said:

Only had this issue the first time I connected my V5F and there was no problems after fixing it.

That's great to know, thanks.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:40 PM, Jpd said:

You need to turn it on press the spin button and rest it on its back side, with power still on resend the sounds .

Apparently, it does not matter on which side it rests, because for you it was the back side, but for me (and @Blank) it was front.

• 2 months later...

I lost sound from having the battery disconnected while doing a repair. Spend a few hours checking for a damaged speaker or wire only to find them perfect. Then found this thread. Resolved the problem on the second try ... the wheel turned off in the middle of the first attempt. I suspect it timed out from being turned on in the parked position the whole time I was downloading the sound file to the app. Second try worked well. Used the 'English' version .. which changed the power up and down chirps and bongos to a rather startling voice greeting and "See Ya" on power down. I'm going to miss those drums.

• 1 month later...

its just through the app, mine did the same thing but i was thankful.. why would you want any annoying sounds xD and from day 1 i recorded silence for the speed warning so ive never had to hear a speed warning thank god

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 7:23 AM, winter9 said:

In case anyone with the same problem wonders how to put turned on V5F on the front: turn it on in upfront position and then use motor disengage button on the handle to rotate the wheel to its front (it might seem obvious, but better to note that).

Hey guys, Im having the same problem and this isnt working for me. I turn it on, the gyroscope get activated. Even after i press the button under the handle nothing happens and I cannot park it front side or back side. 

Also I used the darknessbot app, the sound icon doesnt produce any sound, and the volume is 100%.  Im locked out of my stupid Inmotion App since I forgot my password and password recovery is cumbersome with the phone number and email problem referenced here. https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8630-inmotion-app-password/

One or twice I also had a "kkkkhssshhhhh" sound while powering off,  like white noise. 

Any idea what I should do? 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:23 AM, winter9 said:

In case anyone with the same problem wonders how to put turned on V5F on the front: turn it on in upfront position and then use motor disengage button on the handle to rotate the wheel to its front (it might seem obvious, but better to note that).

Thanks @winter9 and @Blank  for your detailed replies. Helped me through this.  

I magically remembered my password (Inmotion Password recovery is err.....not so easy).....

One thing I wanted to add is how to get your EUC to sit on its nose or butt  :  you need to have the 'Handle Down' toggle enabled. (Look under Settings  icon > Handle Down). After THAT, when i click the motor disengage button under the handle. it sits on it nose (front side). This step is needed for the sound files to be transferred. 

I followed all the instructions exactly above and it worked. Now for some stress -free, euc-nightmare-free sleep. 🥴

Edited by uniCHAKRA