I just ordered a KS 18xl

kasenutty

21 minutes ago, seage said:

Thanks for the reassurance, marty! I appreciate it. Because yeah, it really seemed off. And it was pretty bang on with the 16. What did they do to this wheel? Im also having endless problems connecting it to the app, where as, again, i had almost none with the 16s. Yeesh. Thankfully the wheel itself is like a dream. A dream i cant handle yet, lol. And actually i was on page 3 of that post, but i was reading it before I got the wheel. Going back through it now that things make more sense. 

Yeah, seems I have to keep retrying (> 6 times) before I can get the KS app to connect. WheelLog connects better. I still use WheelLog for speed monitoring and basic battery level. But if I'm at all concerned with my battery level I'll switch to the KS app.

• Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I rode my 16s yesterday for the first time since I got my 18xl. It was sorta underwhelming. It felt small and flimsy. I think I'm gonna sell it. 

I can only imagine the feeling.

Once you experience something better, it's not easy to appreciate things before upgrade...

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I rode my 16s yesterday for the first time since I got my 18xl. It was sorta underwhelming. It felt small and flimsy. I think I'm gonna sell it. 

That is what I did to my Inmotion V8. 

But I am getting a KS16X as a secondary wheel. More battery that my KS18L, and I hope badly the make a seat for it too.

Once I get it we will see which I like better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, seems I have to keep retrying (> 6 times) before I can get the KS app to connect. WheelLog connects better. I still use WheelLog for speed monitoring and basic battery level. But if I'm at all concerned with my battery level I'll switch to the KS app.

You have green leds on wheel side, if you stop for a short time. 

• Like 1

I don’t seem to have problems connecting to my 18l, I have problems keeping the connection when I start rolling.  I have kind of given up on staying connected while riding and only use the app when I stop to look at the battery level.

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

You don't if you've turned the side LEDs off.

And when they are on, it's not exactly a high resolution display - quick! What does 6-LEDs equate to in remaining battery percentage? The Tesla, MCM5, and Mten3 also use their ring lights. But each wheel has a different number of primary LEDs. So when I'm riding the KS18XL somehow I have to remember that it uses 8 (which I'm not sure as I type this) vs 7 on the Tesla, etc.

Why can't they throw in a $2 3-digit LED that can tell me directly that I have 43% remaining.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And when they are on, it's not exactly a high resolution display - quick! What does 6-LEDs equate to in remaining battery percentage? The Tesla, MCM5, and Mten3 also use their ring lights. But each wheel has a different number of primary LEDs. So when I'm riding the KS18XL somehow I have to remember that it uses 8 (which I'm not sure as I type this) vs 7 on the Tesla, etc.

Why can they throw in a $2 3-digit LED that can tell me directly that I have 43% remaining.

A ) Turned off leds well...

B ) To me, I never really push battery below 30%, so 6 leds compared to about 60ish%, 3 leds mean you need to charge when ever possible.

I know you use wheel different.

C ) I think it is not the cost of led, but more a design or look issue. And extra parts and readout on mainboard compated to use what is already there. And less places for water to find a "door" into places you don't want water.

Do I find this as a deal breaker, far from it. Imho...

I never have any connection issue with my Samsung Note8 (both on android 8.1 and now 9.0) and KS18L. I mean never. I can't say the same for my Inmotion V8 (after 8.0 updated to 8.1 it practically never worked).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Why can they throw in a $2 3-digit LED that can tell me directly that I have 43% remaining.

Excellent question on the led numerical display.  

20 hours ago, Unventor said:

My LEDs are on, but, I used my pebble watch as a less annoying speed gauge as well as battery monitor. Since it vibrates silently alerting me of my speeds. If i cant connect to the wheel i lose that awareness, which I dont like unless im on a casual ride. 

• Like 1

This is what is great about the XL isnt it? With such a huge battery, you dont really have to check for battery levels so often. :-)

But otherwise I agreee. And - if they use side leds to show battery, why the fork not use 10 leds? My first love (Ninebot One E+) had 10 leds. 2 leds = 20 %. Easy.

2 hours ago, rolauk said:

if they use side leds to show battery, why the fork not use 10 leds? My first love (Ninebot One E+) had 10 leds. 2 leds = 20 %. Easy.

I've wondered this same thing.  I can never actually figure out my charge state from the lights, other than very approximately. Also part of the problem is that it's not easy to determine exactly how many lights are lit without actually counting them (more intuitive with low state of charge, but I don't often go below 6 or 7 bars. Which I guess makes the whole exercise, for me, moot.

On 4/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, seage said:

I could worry less about dying from a pebble and pay attention to bigger dangers like gaping crevased and canadian geese attacks (real thing, they're crazy).

Sounds awesome, and...

+1 on the Canadian geese!  I was approaching a group of 4 of them once on a bicycle--they were crossing the path in front of me to enter a lake nearby.  I thought I'd swerve towards them to scare them into the water faster than they were planning. When they saw me, they all turned around started hissing, flapping their wings and charged towards me, and instead they scared me off my path as I now swerved to avoid them! Those are NOT your run of the mill birds!

Edited by Blueblade
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, seage said:

My LEDs are on, but, I used my pebble watch as a less annoying speed gauge as well as battery monitor. Since it vibrates silently alerting me of my speeds. If i cant connect to the wheel i lose that awareness, which I dont like unless im on a casual ride. 

Seage, i use also my pebble for the XL but the horn when you press the middle button is not working, neither the distance traveled.

Is it also the case for you ?

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Anyone else in this thread VERY excited about how soon we're going to get our 18XLs?

YES!!!

Should be here any day now. Every day is agony. 

I’m envious of you expectant new 18XL owners.  I really enjoyed the time I had riding the 18XL and would be waiting with you all if the 16X hadn’t been announced. I hope that my patience pays off. 

13 hours ago, nguymin said:

Seage, i use also my pebble for the XL but the horn when you press the middle button is not working, neither the distance traveled.

Is it also the case for you ?

Yep! The horn no longer works in the app or at all. But distance works.

Ever since i was forced to do that damn update to 3.0.9 (it would close if i didnt) now suddenly it doesnt give me a battery reading. It shows 100% all the time. Has anyone had that glitch since the new forced app update? (On android)

Edited by seage

Guest PogArt Artur
On 3/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, kasenutty said:

The weather has been great and I rolled over 100 km last night. The wheel is a big improvement on the 16s I was riding, for sure. It feels like you're riding a tree trunk down the street, so solid. Also, the extra battery means I'm not charging or checking the charge all that often, just charging like once a week or less and then riding a whole bunch. I can't wait to work some longer rides in as the weather continues to improve. I love the thing. 

100km? In a single night?

Wow @kasenutty !

You're really ROLLING a lot  :)

Reading the comments it does look like the wheel is amazing  :)

It's a wonderful wheel, but no I didn't go 100 km in one night. That was just my overall mileage. Weather has been bad and I've been using any sunshine to skateboard at the skatepark lately, so it's only up to about 170 km total mileage now. As soon as it warms up again a little, I'll start riding to work like I did last season on my 16s. It's about 16 miles round trip, so I get a lot of good riding in like that. I'm hoping for a big trip this weekend :)

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, kasenutty said:

It's a wonderful wheel, but no I didn't go 100 km in one night. That was just my overall mileage. Weather has been bad and I've been using any sunshine to skateboard at the skatepark lately, so it's only up to about 170 km total mileage now. As soon as it warms up again a little, I'll start riding to work like I did last season on my 16s. It's about 16 miles round trip, so I get a lot of good riding in like that. I'm hoping for a big trip this weekend :)

Forgive the mistake, but I took the sentence the wrong way, so I took the overall sum for single night only :) Lol  :)

My round commuting is around 9mls only...

Enjoy @kasenutty !!!