I just ordered a KS 18xl

kasenutty

7 minutes ago, seage said:

And just like that, my plans are thrown into the ceiling fan, lmfao. I guess i'll take a step back and wait and see whats up. Ive seen people maneuver these 18 inch wheels like toys before. 

It depends on your size how you'll throw an 18 incher around. I thought it would be some unwieldy behemoth reading some of the (small) riders reports of these wheels. I didn't experience much of any adjustment going to the 18 incher. I don't have to throw my body around or any of the crazy stuff I read. I mean, you can tell it's bigger, but it's easy to ride it just like a little one. I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs today, so you'd probably get a different answer from a 5 foot 120 lb rider.. The bigger wheel makes it less bumpy though and that's been really nice. Maneuverability feels almost as good to me as my 16s. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

It depends on your size how you'll throw an 18 incher around. I thought it would be some unwieldy behemoth reading some of the (small) riders reports of these wheels. I didn't experience much of any adjustment going to the 18 incher. I don't have to throw my body around or any of the crazy stuff I read. I mean, you can tell it's bigger, but it's easy to ride it just like a little one. I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs today, so you'd probably get a different answer from a 5 foot 120 lb rider.. The bigger wheel makes it less bumpy though and that's been really nice. Maneuverability feels almost as good to me as my 16s. 

At 6'2" I can maneuver my MSX around fairly easily, but a keyword with a wheel like this is being determined. I liken riding these wheels to slalom-skiing, and some of the skills from that sport are applicable here. I'm fairly light at just 160lbs or so, and it has been quite the adjustment going from my old KS16C, but that's more because you have the wheel at a different spot on your legs which takes some getting used to. My biggest hangup with getting another 16" wheel is the less smooth ride, though with a 3" wide tyre I think it'll handle great.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I get you. Im 5'10, 230lbs. I was told by some of the other bigger guys that they can throw it around like a 16 as well. Thanks mate. I think i may hold on to my 16s for a while and ride both, just to experience the different styles. From there i can sell one and decide which direction i like. I have heard this though. The different styles of maneuverability due to the weight of the individual riding. Being on the higher end of the weight spectrum, it might be okay for me. Also, i dont know if I want to get the first batch of the new 16x. Id like to see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

You should buy my 16s and make a ginormous hoverboard :D

I'll add that to my "Kick-the-bucket list". The list of things i'll do to die. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, seage said:

From there i can sell one and decide which direction i like.

You got the right idea, you just don't know it yet. Sell the 16S, and get an 18XL and 16X. Obvious solution. Don't look at the money, just don't, sometimes a man has to do etc. pp. - welcome to wheel life. It's only 2 wheels, you've still got lots of breathing room. What are you going to get for your 3rd wheel? Maybe a small and powerful fun little Gotway MCM6 (surely that's coming some time)? Plan, man:efee8319ab:

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You should buy my 16s and make a ginormous hoverboard :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, seage said:

I'll add that to my "Kick-the-bucket list". The list of things i'll do to die. 

Painfully....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You got the right idea, you just don't know it yet. Sell the 16S, and get an 18XL and 16X. Obvious solution. Don't look at the money, just don't, sometimes a man has to do etc. pp. - welcome to wheel life. It's only 2 wheels, you've still got lots of breathing room. What are you going to get for your 3rd wheel? Maybe a small and powerful fun little Gotway MCM6 (surely that's coming some time)? Plan, man:efee8319ab:

There you go bigger pedals and added bigger battery pack.

I like the idea....but would I buy one, I doubt it. Still as an idea for moving video filming platform looks to be brilliant. 

2 hours ago, seage said:

And just like that, my plans are thrown into the ceiling fan, lmfao. I guess i'll take a step back and wait and see whats up. Ive seen people maneuver these 18 inch wheels like toys before. 

I guess im stuck between what to do, because obviously i'm on a 16 inch right now. Just a lot slower than the 3 you named off. So i figured, okay, upgrade to a larger wheel, that makes sense! Im travelling from the suburbs to the train then city riding, then back. From the research i did, the 18 seemed good. To eat up those potholes and safely keep me at a good speed. But now with these new wheels, im back at square one again.... :efee8c29ce: 

LOL.

You can do just about anything with any performance wheel. But that doesn't mean it's enjoyable or easy, relatively speaking. If you saw me on the Monster, I'd look pretty nimble. I can comfortably weave in and around things. But it's giant and has lots of mass. On a small wheel I can effortlessly twirl around things and stop on a dime. Feels very  different than the Monster.

If you want a road warrior wheel, go big. But if you want an awesome general purpose wheel, I'd seriously consider the 16X.

I'm very anxious to put the 16X through its paces and compare it to my favorite general purpose wheel - the ACM2. Prior to the 16X there has been no challenger to the ACM. I think that's about to change big time with the KingSong entry. On paper (since none of us have ridden either wheel) the 16X looks like it'll be superior to the Nikola and that's why I don't even mention Gotway's entry here.

Then again, I'm a big proponent of variety in experiences. You already have a decent 16-inch wheel, so add a 18-inch to the collection. And then a 14-inch. Certainly a 10-inch should enter your stable at some point. And of course there's the Monster. And you have to experience the monster width of a Z10. Have I helped? :laughbounce2:

I know it's tough. It was a lot easier when I was starting a few years ago. We have so many high quality choices now. But seriously, think variety.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Out of interest @Marty Backe why is the ACM so much better than my 16S?

The ACM2 has twice the battery capacity of the 16S and is a 84-volt wheel with an amazing amount of power relative to the anemic 16S. Trust me, if you rode the ACM2 you'd realize the shortcomings of the KS16S.

The 16S is very similar to the 1st generation ACM (except slower), produced almost 3-years ago. It's good for what it is, but the 16S is old. It's been due for an upgrade for ages, so the 16X is very welcome news.

In broad strokes, the 16S is a second generation wheel. The ACM2 is third generation.

Well now I have no clue WHAT to do :facepalm:

I definitely want a step-up from my 16S but I don't know if I want the XL, or if once I order the XL, the next newest wheel will be announced and I will have regret! 

Or whether I hold off and buy a new 16X when it comes out, and just decide to not upgrade wheel size...

5 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I definitely want a step-up from my 16S but I don't know if I want the XL, or if once I order the XL, the next newest wheel will be announced and I will have regret! 

Or whether I hold off and buy a new 16X when it comes out, and just decide to not upgrade wheel size...

You appear to want to stick with KingSong. They aren't known for churning out new wheels like Gotway. I don't think you'll see another 18-inch offering until 2020, if not later. The 16X will probably be it for a couple of years. So I don't think you have to worry about the "next newest" wheel syndrome :)

I'm on my 3rd ACM upgrade (4-wheels total), so there's clearly nothing wrong with staying with the same wheel size. I ride 3 different 16-inch wheels, 2 14-inch wheels, and 4 18-inch wheels. They're all great.

I like variety. But if you like the 16-inch form factor, why not upgrade from your 2nd gen wheel to the 4th generation 16X? I really anticipate it being a killer wheel. The only downside to the 18XL is it's a bit ho-hum. On the other hand, the 16X is a total refresh for KingSong, from the dramatic shift in styling, to the huge batteries, and game changer 3-inch wide 16-inch tire.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jambo said:

If I read you profile right, your location is L.A. So you should be able to join a meetup and with luck maybe test a KS18L or KS18XL. Once having a bit if a ride you have a better decision point as if a 18" suits you or to stick with 16".

Then it is a matter what type of rides you do. 

I started out on a Inmotion V8/glide3. Upgraded to KS18L and never regretted it. I simply love the KS18L. But my V8 had a tumble in an accident at topspeed. At fitst I thought it was only minor damage, replacing trolley and tupe. But when a car ran me off it took anoter low speed tumble. I ended up selling it as a repair needed/spare part wheel.

I am buying a KS16X now this summer. Biggest battery version. My reason is I need a backup wheel. I expect the KS16X will be main wheel as I expect it to break better due to rim is closer to motor. Breaking is very important to me as I ride in urban traffic. Adding a possibility for seating option is great. So I expect my KS18L become my wheel in my car to cruise around on in places where I don't know road conditions as bigger rim normally means better comfort and pothole resistant.

Where I in your shoes, I try to find a meetup.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

LOL.

You can do just about anything with any performance wheel. But that doesn't mean it's enjoyable or easy, relatively speaking. If you saw me on the Monster, I'd look pretty nimble. I can comfortably weave in and around things. But it's giant and has lots of mass. On a small wheel I can effortlessly twirl around things and stop on a dime. Feels very  different than the Monster.

If you want a road warrior wheel, go big. But if you want an awesome general purpose wheel, I'd seriously consider the 16X.

I'm very anxious to put the 16X through its paces and compare it to my favorite general purpose wheel - the ACM2. Prior to the 16X there has been no challenger to the ACM. I think that's about to change big time with the KingSong entry. On paper (since none of us have ridden either wheel) the 16X looks like it'll be superior to the Nikola and that's why I don't even mention Gotway's entry here.

Then again, I'm a big proponent of variety in experiences. You already have a decent 16-inch wheel, so add a 18-inch to the collection. And then a 14-inch. Certainly a 10-inch should enter your stable at some point. And of course there's the Monster. And you have to experience the monster width of a Z10. Have I helped? :laughbounce2:

I know it's tough. It was a lot easier when I was starting a few years ago. We have so many high quality choices now. But seriously, think variety.

Hmm, alright. I get you. Yeah, the 18 would be nice for variety sake. But I'll hold off on the XL purchase for now maybe. I wish I could see a 16X in person, haha. Right now, the nimbleness of my 16 is all I know, and I love it. its a little rocket, but it would be interesting to try something new. Getting the cruiser wheel. Then maybe afterwards, going for another 16, with more power. Worst comes to it, if I dont like the 18XL i can sell it and pick up the 16X once its out. So i suppose theres no real downsides to trying them all. Haha. I guess the best way to decide what style of riding I like is to...actually ride them. For you, you have the experience of so many wheels, so you can accurately point out exactly what you want and why. But for all i know, maybe that hefty monster might be the perfect feeling of a wheel even for commuting (Probably not, but bear with me for this hypothetical, lmao) 

Anyways, yes, you have helped. In telling me the truth about them! Now its to see what my preference is by trying more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seage said:

Hmm, alright. I get you. Yeah, the 18 would be nice for variety sake. But I'll hold off on the XL purchase for now maybe. I wish I could see a 16X in person, haha. Right now, the nimbleness of my 16 is all I know, and I love it. its a little rocket, but it would be interesting to try something new. Getting the cruiser wheel. Then maybe afterwards, going for another 16, with more power. Worst comes to it, if I dont like the 18XL i can sell it and pick up the 16X once its out. So i suppose theres no real downsides to trying them all. Haha. I guess the best way to decide what style of riding I like is to...actually ride them. For you, you have the experience of so many wheels, so you can accurately point out exactly what you want and why. But for all i know, maybe that hefty monster might be the perfect feeling of a wheel even for commuting (Probably not, but bear with me for this hypothetical, lmao) 

Anyways, yes, you have helped. In telling me the truth about them! Now its to see what my preference is by trying more. 

You have a lot to look forward to. You think that your 16S is a little rocket (which it is from your perspective). But it's a dog relative to the modern wheels. I'm not saying this to offend (I'm sure you understand), but to make you salivate over the wheel choices you have in front of you. Good times lay ahead :w00t2:

• Like 2

I have a gut feeling that @Marty Backe will like the KS16X... a lot. Since this is designated hill climber. Due to accidents that I expect speed is not as much of a thrill compared to the risk.

At the speed you posted as you comfort zone I would expect to tag the range need too. And now with a cutoff button detail from today, you get something that no GW have at the moment. All my (2, now just1 though) wheels have/had cutoff system on lifting. I could not see me having a wheel without it.

So how right am I in my assumption @Marty Backe?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have a gut feeling that @Marty Backe will like the KS16X... a lot. Since this is designated hill climber. Due to accidents that I expect speed is not as much of a thrill compared to the risk.

At the speed you posted as you comfort zone I would expect to tag the range need too. And now with a cutoff button detail from today, you get something that no GW have at the moment. All my (2, now just1 though) wheels have/had cutoff system on lifting. I could not see me having a wheel without it.

So how right am I in my assumption @Marty Backe?

It may be hard for me to come to grips with what's coming, but on paper it looks like the 16X could replace my ACMs as the best general purpose wheel in existence.

The cutoff switch is really nice and I enjoy its use on all of my wheels that have it (three). However, if a wheel doesn't have it, that's not a deal breaker for me.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I'm right there with you.

I want the range the 16X and 18XL offers, but I already have a good 16" wheel (Tesla) so I don't really know if I should wait for the 16X or just get the XL right away (its one or the other for me).

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It may be hard for me to come to grips with what's coming, but on paper it looks like the 16X could replace my ACMs as the best general purpose wheel in existence.

The cutoff switch is really nice and I enjoy its use on all of my wheels that have it (three). However, if a wheel doesn't have it, that's not a deal breaker for me.

How would it compare to the Tesla if you disregard range?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olav said:

I want the range the 16X and 18XL offers, but I already have a good 16" wheel (Tesla) so I don't really know if I should wait for the 16X or just get the XL right away (its one or the other for me).

Actually 16inch and 18inch wheels are quite different....i would make the decision from that standpoint.

You need the range and want the same behavior? Take the 16X...

You want more of a cruising wheel type, that takes bumps better and are in general better for a long range cruising? While instant torque and agility is not that important?

Then the 18Xl should be the choice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Olav said:

Untill we have a production unit noone can really answer this yet. Keep in mind we have seen firmware updates to adjust for feedback on 1st batch units historical from KS.

As an early adopter this is part of being early in the game of new products. If you don't like that then KS18XL would be a better choice considering this has bern in practical use by customers as in volume for some months now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Olav said:

Having not yet ridden the 16X, I have to speculate. The Tesla is a fantastic wheel, kind of forgotten about because of all the flurry of new wheels. Very nimble and high performance.

I'm anticipating the 16X to be closer to the ACM than the Tesla. Primarily due to the weight (all of the those batteries) and width (all of those batteries, and thick tire). The added component which I can't predict how it will affect the ride, is the 3-inch tire.

So I think the Tesla will be more nimble and faster than the 16X. But how the shell hits your legs, and the pedal height, really affect the riding characteristics. The 16X may still ride closer to the Tesla than the squat ACM. Really can't predict.

I think the Tesla still holds its own against any wheel here or forthcoming. If range isn't a factor, I'm not sure the 16X would be a compelling "upgrade" over the Tesla unless you love the style and wide tire. If range is eh, than maybe I'd go for the 18XL to get the 18-inch experience.

Tough choices that I'm glad I don't have to make. The one mitigating factor is that regardless of the wheel you get, it's going to be great wheel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, US69 said:

Actually 16inch and 18inch wheels are quite different....i would make the decision from that standpoint.

You need the range and want the same behavior? Take the 16X...

You want more of a cruising wheel type, that takes bumps better and are in general better for a long range cruising? While instant torque and agility is not that important?

Then the 18Xl should be the choice.

Thanks.

I would like a cruising wheel, and possibly keep the Tesla as a wheel to joyride on (and as a backup in case I ride the other to low battery).

So I'm also thing along the lines on the XL. But would then have to get the XL-plates as well (as I believe the norwegian seller doesn't sell it with the big plates). Buying it of off Speedyfeet would be significantly more expensive (about 25% with todays rates, before shipping...).

Edit: And then get the bodyguard from @The Fat Unicyclist

Edited by Olav
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1