Repair advice needed, KS18L trolley handle stuck

Unventor

A spectator tried to lift my wheel before I could stop him. He didn't know how or what he was doing, trying to lift in the handle at an angel due him reaching for it.

The end result is one of the rods got stuck, the lower on do not extend at all nor can it go back to normal possition.

In the sketched picture the orang is stuck the green seems ok but I am not sure.

Now I have had this in for repair for 1st gen handel at dealer. Looking at the job they have done I am far from sure they exchanged any parts. They seem to have glued the rods by black silicone.

So I seek adwice if anyone else have come across this before. To me it is not directly obvios how to get the rod out due it being stuck (inner rod can move a bit but not to a locked possition)

20190225_174452.thumb.jpg.fff37de880a63580c0a26879ae61c49f.jpg

This is how far down I can push the trolley.

IRS20190225_175757.thumb.jpg.76caccddd8dd082c4db111589855ce85.jpg

Here you see the 2 rod extending to the left, but only 1 rod on the right

IRS20190225_175722.thumb.jpg.0db85ebab5cd9d56c279afe0b39330c3.jpg

Since the trolley can't collapse correctly it is hard to fit into an original box to ship of for repair. Shipping from Sweden is expensive to no two way about it.

So any suggestions goes, I am open for idears.

Except contacting dealer ( www.electricunicycles.eu ), I am done with those.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

A spectator tried to lift my wheel before I could stop him. He didn't know how or what he was doing, trying to lift in the handle at an angel due him reaching for it.

The end result is one of the rods got stuck, the lower on do not extend at all nor can it go back to normal possition.

In the sketched picture the orang is stuck the green seems ok but I am not sure.

Now I have had this in for repair for 1st gen handel at dealer. Looking at the job they have done I am far from sure they exchanged any parts. They seem to have glued the rods by black silicone.

So I seek adwice if anyone else have come across this before. To me it is not directly obvios how to get the rod out due it being stuck (inner rod can move a bit but not to a locked possition)

20190225_174452.thumb.jpg.fff37de880a63580c0a26879ae61c49f.jpg

This is how far down I can push the trolley.

IRS20190225_175757.thumb.jpg.76caccddd8dd082c4db111589855ce85.jpg

Here you see the 2 rod extending to the left, but only 1 rod on the right

IRS20190225_175722.thumb.jpg.0db85ebab5cd9d56c279afe0b39330c3.jpg

Since the trolley can't collapse correctly it is hard to fit into an original box to ship of for repair. Shipping from Sweden is expensive to no two way about it.

So any suggestions goes, I am open for idears.

Except contacting dealer ( www.electricunicycles.eu ), I am done with those.

The solution to this problem is the black handle. Not sure why the dealer didn't install it when they know full well that the old type is faulty. 

Contact your dealer and and have them send you latest 3d iteration Black trolley stems; the handle doesn't get replaced anyway. 

I have had all three versions on my 18L. The 1st two broke within two months; so you are fortunate. My 18L has been wearing the third version without so much as a glitch for close to 7 months. The third version will solve all of your problems. I suggest getting it for your sanity even if you must buy it.

Thanks @Lutalo. Right now I am buying the part if I csn find it in Europe. Unless I can find a dealer that can do the repair as I am not really sure how the lift sensor system works. And I can't see how to disassemble the trolley unit.

Times like these I would really liked to have a local dealer.

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Thanks @Lutalo. Right now I am buying the part if I csn find it in Europe. Unless I can find a dealer that can do the repair as I am not really sure how the lift sensor system works. And I can't see how to disassemble the trolley unit.

Times like these I would really liked to have a local dealer.

No worries. It's easy my friend. Forgive me for not having photos to show you.

1. Remove black handle from the trolley stem. It's one screw for each side where the handle meets the stem. 

2. Remove the screw at the bottom of the stem that attaches to the sensor plate.

3. Slide out the plate at the bottom of the stem. 

4. Remove the screw holding the thin metal band across the stem

5. Slide out the stem; you don't need to remove the shell cap. So, don't waste time unwinding a bunch of unecessary screws.

6. Slide in the black stem

7. Replace metal plate at the bottom; remember not to overtighten this screw. The plate should have a little play. I usually don't go past the point where the screw stops winding; no added torqueing.

8. Retorque the screw holding the metal band over the stem. 

9. Repeat process with stem on the opposite side. 

10. Reinstall the handle.

11. Test operation of new trolley; move up and down,  and lock and unlock. 

12. Replace outer shells. 

13. Go riding.

14. Have fun. 

Well seems simple enough, however I can't pull out the stem right now. If I clean out that black silicone I might be able to see why. 

I will have another view tomorrow and maybe make a short video of this, the problem.

As @Lutalo wrote, this is easy to replace. Because I have to readjust mechanically lift sensors in my XL that apparently is overtightened, I'll make a short video how to reassemble whole handle system.I'm afraid that you can face a problem in getting spare stems from your dealer :( Contact Ryszard from eunicycles.eu; I'm pretty sure he can sell you needed parts.

10 minutes ago, Seba said:

As @Lutalo wrote, this is easy to replace. Because I have to readjust mechanically lift sensors in my XL that apparently is overtightened, I'll make a short video how to reassemble whole handle system.I'm afraid that you can face a problem in getting spare stems from your dealer :( Contact Ryszard from eunicycles.eu; I'm pretty sure he can sell you needed parts.

Thank you for your help. 

I made a short video where you might see how the handle is stuck.

7 hours ago, Seba said:

Thanks dude. That video would be great. I didn't have pics or video to dem what I was explaining. 😉👍

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I made a short video where you might see how the handle is stuck.

Yes. This telescoping issue is the same problem I had with the first and second trolleys I installed on my 18L. An additional issue that I had with both versions was the handle would lock in the retracted position. If I attempted to lift the wheel up from the ground, the handle would release.

On my second handle, one of the stems would not fully retract so that the handle could lock. In both instances these malfunctions made the handle unusable. 

My third trolley is the black stemmed version supplied as original equipment on the XL. I have had no issues on either wheel with the black trolley.

4 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Yes. This telescoping issue is the same problem I had with the first and second trolleys I installed on my 18L. An additional issue that I had with both versions was the handle would lock in the retracted position. If I attempted to lift the wheel up from the ground, the handle would release.

On my second handle, one of the stems would not fully retract so that the handle could lock. In both instances these malfunctions made the handle unusable. 

My third trolley is the black stemmed version supplied as original equipment on the XL. I have had no issues on either wheel with the black trolley.

I just now ordered (I hope) those black stems. I am waiting to get confirmation on the order from the dealer @Seba suggested. It is the same dealer I got my large pedals from.

I managed to get the stuck stem out so I think it is all straight forward form here. 

Anyway thanks to all whom contributed to. It is very appreciated on my behalf. It is nice to have a community to turn to in need. :clap3::thumbup::wub:

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

Well seems simple enough, however I can't pull out the stem right now. If I clean out that black silicone I might be able to see why. 

I will have another view tomorrow and maybe make a short video of this, the problem.

Not sure what that black goop they put in there is all about; perhaps to waterproof the wheel at a potential point of entry? Maybe they think water/dirt is affecting the performance of one of the locking pins; causing this trolley's telescoping function to fail. Such remedies are temporary at best. The mechanism itself is faulty. That is why KS no longer supplies them. 

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

I just now ordered (I hope) those black stems. I am waiting to get confirmation on the order from the dealer @Seba suggested. It is the same dealer I got my large pedals from.

I managed to get the stuck stem out so I think it is all straight forward form here. 

Anyway thanks to all whom contributed to. It is very appreciated on my behalf. It is nice to have a community to turn to in need. :clap3::thumbup::wub:

Congrats dude. You will not have trolley handle problems again for a long time to come. :thumbup:

Well I hope so @Lutalo. 2pcs of stems v3 ordered and paid. Now it is like little xmas...waiting until pars arrive. Shipping out tomorrow with expected 3-4days shipping. I spoke with Ryszard from eunicycles.eu as @Seba suggested.

He helped me out and setup items so we could complete my order today and settle payment to avoid further delays. So with a little luck I will be able to ride again early next week.

I really need to get a secound wheel.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Well I hope so @Lutalo. 2pcs of stems v3 ordered and paid. Now it is like little xmas...waiting until pars arrive. Shipping out tomorrow with expected 3-4days shipping. I spoke with Ryszard from eunicycles.eu as @Seba suggested.

He helped me out and setup items so we could complete my order today and settle payment to avoid further delays. So with a little luck I will be able to ride again early next week.

I really need to get a secound wheel.

I am somewhat known for my psychic powers. I see an XL in your future :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I am somewhat known for my psychic powers. I see an XL in your future :thumbup:

Well so far the contenders are KS16S, KS16x or what it will be named, KS18XL, GW Nikola (partly considering the dark way:ph34r:) and Z10 if 9B get their act together, which is unlikely.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Well so far the contenders are KS16S, KS16x or what it will be named, KS18XL, GW Nikola (partly considering the dark way:ph34r:) and Z10 if 9B get their act together, which is unlikely.

Be warned. My psychic powers are never wrong ;)👍

15 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Be warned. My psychic powers are never wrong ;)👍

Well sometimes my psi power is...bumpy or flat(lined).

So I am going to find a small portable battery/usb powered pump/compressor. Need it from an EU site otherwise rediculous shipping time and taxes. 

As of the wheel, I am leaning to see the KS16X or KS18XL. In case I go XL, I plan to use the current KS18L on rainy/winter days and the XL being the "sunny cab" wheel only. 

The thing is going XL all parts like spare tyre and tubes are same size....and my EUC bodyguard from www.roll.nz will fit both wheels. Could be like a winter coatB)

51 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well sometimes my psi power is...bumpy or flat(lined).

So I am going to find a small portable battery/usb powered pump/compressor. Need it from an EU site otherwise rediculous shipping time and taxes. 

As of the wheel, I am leaning to see the KS16X or KS18XL. In case I go XL, I plan to use the current KS18L on rainy/winter days and the XL being the "sunny cab" wheel only. 

The thing is going XL all parts like spare tyre and tubes are same size....and my EUC bodyguard from www.roll.nz will fit both wheels. Could be like a winter coatB)

Many swapable parts between the wheels. Dynamically, you will feel the difference between these two wheel's. They are both great. I have enjoyed many times riding both. Admittedly, after the XL arrived I was a bit less inclined to reach for the L. I love the relentless feel of its power. :D

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

I've never seen the internals of the 18l/xl....dat build quality...nice

Yeah, man. It's beautiful in there. The only wheel that might top it in terms of internal design cleanness is the 9BZ10. The XL is less good-looking than the L due to more battery being jammed into the same shell design, but still very nice.

So I am haveing spare part incomming. I seem to have seen a video on how to adjust the tension sensor a while back. Now when I need the video I can't find it. 

@Seba or @Lutalo or @US69 am I so lucky you have a link to the video I am thinking off?

11 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So I am haveing spare part incomming. I seem to have seen a video on how to adjust the tension sensor a while back. Now when I need the video I can't find it. 

@Seba or @Lutalo or @US69 am I so lucky you have a link to the video I am thinking off?

Got to search...

3 hours ago, US69 said:

Got to search...

That's the breakdown video that covers removing the stems. Take due notice that he shows some unnecessary steps for just removing the trolley stems; like removing the shell cap. Still, it shows specifically how stems should be removed. 

Unaware of the tension adjustment video to which you refer. It's pretty simple; just don't overtighten the screw; leave a little play. I usually just turn I reach the edge of the tension point. I stop at initial tension-maybe a half turn more, and avoid torqueing the screw any further. The sensor seems to work more consistently on the tests that I have run on the lift sensor. 

However, I live with my wheels with sensor off, because I remain unconvinced that it is unrelated to the trolley lockup scenarios. I have never had a wheel lock scenario and I suspect my sensor being off is part of the reason.

I could be making a false correlation, but it makes me feel safer until there is a definitive solution to that issue. 

20 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

because I remain unconvinced that it is unrelated to the trolley lockup scenarios. I have never had a wheel lock scenario and I suspect my sensor being off is part of the reason.

I can just say it again that the handle sensor really has nothing todo with the lock/freeze issue.

That was one of the very first suspicion when the freeze happened on 18L release,  which soon prooved wrong as the cases have been 50/50 with handle sensor on, but also Off.

Freeze issue is related to static energy build up while trolleying the wheel, interfering the board electronics.

Archived