What do you look like suited up?

Got a bit worried seeing someone's thread where their inmotion V5F cut out on them (what I've been riding for the last 6 weeks) and they managed to bash their face in and am considering whether the wheel itself is safe enough for pootling around town. Also reading all the threads here about ATGATT. Right now I'm just wearing neoprene gloves and a skateboard helmet and it seems like the proper stuff would be more than its worth to go a mile through the city.

Lots of posts about the individual components but kinda hard for me to visualise so what does it look like when you're kitted out and ready to ride? Post your model/max speed as well.

I don't have a photo of myself in my gear, but I have:

Helmet with chin bar (Bell Super 3R)

Wrist protectors, with skidpad, and a support bar on the other side of it as well (don't know brand or model)

Motorcycle jacket, with shoulder pads and elbow pads (Jofama Voyage)

I ride a Tesla

Ought to have knee protectors, but so far I haven't bought any :facepalm:

Full face helmet, wrist guards, elbow guards, need guards, boots. People often underestimate the shoes. Idk how anyone can ride without sturdy shoes that prevent the toes from curling over the pedals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

how anyone can ride without sturdy shoes that prevent the toes from curling over the pedals.

Lol i wear sketchers for that reason i curl my toes over the pedal so i know where my feet placement is without looking i don't like sturdy shoes i can't feel my wheel 😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

@postbio Holy shit man. If i had to put all that stuff on to go ride, I'd never bother. Thats some serious dedication! When I gear up too much, I begin to entertain ideas of tossing myself off at speed, just to see what'll happen. Seriously, last full geared ride i took, I musta have considered jumping off at 25mph into the street (during a turn) 3 or 4 times, just for shits and giggles. My age is only thing that stopped me.  My fully geared is much less and I dont wear it often. Hard to beat the ease of donning a jacket and pulling pants on over your shoes.. As for 'what i look like". I think I look like a rich, intimidating asshat when Im fully geared. Personaly, I think being geared like this, draws attention to me and it makes it harder to seem like the euc isnt dangerous. Can't claim that I think it's a simple toy that isnt dangerous, when a cop sees me rolling along like this...

1084743888_StreetReady.jpg.260ecf3eb5d2bdf0c7cd471d6a58fa68.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Holy shit man. If i had to put all that stuff on to go ride, I'd never bother.

Have to admit that I do tend to want to go for very long rides after I've gone through the trouble of gearing up...then again, being new to riding, I might want to make an adventure of it everytime either way. I just try to remind myself that it's 5 minutes of extra "work" with the kneeguards, wristguards & body "armor" to save some possible road rash (or worse). I do feel a little conspicuous in my body armor so I like to wear an extra baggy hoodie over it in the cooler weather.

c7N9M3H.jpg

Edited by manieuc
  • Like 2

More people need to discover motorcycle clothes, you can actually look fashionable with protective gear on instead of looking like a power ranger. 😂

Not to mention so much easier to gear up, put on some pants and a jacket, aaaand done! 😉👌

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:14 AM, manieuc said:

I just try to remind myself that it's 5 minutes of extra "work" with the kneeguards, wristguards & body "armor" to save some possible road rash (or worse). 

I find that the easiest way to remind me to ATGATT is to simply conjure up the post-crash image of Anthony Edwards in my head, which he shared after coming off at very low speed during a very short ride. There really is no better incentive.

And yes, MC gear is a lot more suitable for EUC's than a lot of the gear people seem to wear. All the tight fitting MTB body armour stuff is largely useless as it's held together with the minimum of stitching and will fall to bits on a tarmac slide. For summer I use a mesh MC jacket with full armour, for colder months a non-mesh MC jacket.

If it's really, really hot I will go with elbow pads and a simple MTB jersey but I do feel very, very vulnerable without any shoulder armour or abrasion protection. I will always use a full face MTB helmet though...

• Like 2

I think MTB gear should be fine for most euc related accidents. I mean hell...   MTB=40mph    Motorcycle=140mph EUC=50mph(max). I use Motorcycle gear but at the lighter end. Only because I own motorcycles too. I would think that skaters and mountain bikers could get along just fine with their setup and make it multi-use. Good gear is expensive, I cant rebuy on a per sport basis. Of course I do agree.. MOST of the shit we see is just bits of plastic shit, held together by strands of recycled crap. I guess the MTB world doesnt have much for requirements in compare to the motorcycle world. Still, you get quality gear of either sport and I'd think its fine. Of course, if we start thinking worst case scenario, what gear protects you from falling off an euc, sliding into a guardrail, getting hit by a car and then tumbling down the mountainside?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I think MTB gear should be fine for most euc related accidents. I mean hell...   MTB=40mph 

Yes, but rarely, if ever, on tarmac.

It's the abrasion, and it's tendancy to rip soft/hard armour from whatever it's stitched to that's the problem.

If you only ever ride off-road on an EUC, then fill ya boots. MTB gear will be fine.

• Like 1

Two mental tricks below to help motivate me to put on gear. I can completely understand those who don't gear up. Just because I wear so much protection doesn't mean I want to spend time either. Gear is no magic solution, just one of many things components for protection.

1. The time spent gearing up gets me into the proper mindset
If you're thinking about random other stuff that you were just in, you might not be thinking of dangers while you're riding like cars. I am somewhat on autopilot when I walk around, but it doesn't matter since I'm on the sidewalk and the worst that can happen is that I walk into someone or something at 3 mph. Consequences of going 25-30 mph on autopilot on the street is much worse.

2. I preemptively gain time (on an expectation basis) tending to injuries
I've taken two falls in 2020 at the end of long 15-20 mile runs due to some combo of tiredness, darkness, slipperiness, etc. No big deal since I rolled out of it fine, but one of them left me with road rash on my elbow and wrist that required bandages, extra care and time doing daily things. That's a very minor injury, but I imagine the extra time required for a bigger injury like broken limb or surgery, or even "major" road rash. 

Edited by postbio
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

@postbio Holy shit man. If i had to put all that stuff on to go ride, I'd never bother. Thats some serious dedication! When I gear up too much, I begin to entertain ideas of tossing myself off at speed, just to see what'll happen. Seriously, last full geared ride i took, I musta have considered jumping off at 25mph into the street (during a turn) 3 or 4 times, just for shits and giggles. My age is only thing that stopped me.  My fully geared is much less and I dont wear it often. Hard to beat the ease of donning a jacket and pulling pants on over your shoes.. As for 'what i look like". I think I look like a rich, intimidating asshat when Im fully geared. Personaly, I think being geared like this, draws attention to me and it makes it harder to seem like the euc isnt dangerous. Can't claim that I think it's a simple toy that isnt dangerous, when a cop sees me rolling along like this...

1084743888_StreetReady.jpg.260ecf3eb5d2bdf0c7cd471d6a58fa68.jpg

this is a Bond villain pic form the 70's , pretty sure

• Like 2

Super DH, Rev’it Tornado2 with level 2 elbow, shoulder and back, free eWheel wrist guards that came with the wheel (flexmeters are too small to fit over the winter gloves), ProTec knee pads, Merrill hiking boots. Except for my fingers, the getup is pretty comfortable at -4C. 

Edited by Tawpie
delete attachment

Full moto gear almost -- aramid jeans, kevlar hoodie, CE lvl 2 D30 knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, and some unrated back protector that came with the hoodie. In summer I switch to a mesh jacket and t-shirt. Hoodie is good with an undershirt an flannel down to around 40f/4c or below freezing with long underwear. Triple 8 wrist Guards, some cyclist's gloves, Giro Disciple downhill helmet. High-top shoes with padded ankles.

I have some hillbilly glove/wristguards combos for when it's really cold since I can wear some thin knit gloves under them.

Trying to look like I'm wearing normal street clothes while still being protected.

euc_gear.jpg

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1