Good news from Germany

Dan the Man

On 2/27/2019 at 2:15 AM, AlexY said:

Just got my Ninebot One S2 confiscated by the police in Berlin after riding it daily for almost a year.

They also mentioned that legislation could be ready in a couple of months.

Ok, but... what about electric unicycles ? Won't you be able to drive it without the handle bar ? 

could you inform me how will be treated, if you have the knowledge please ?

Do you have the papers about and could you share it please ?

If you are not envolved with laws in germany could you please put me in contact with german people working in that way ?

I am in a spanish discussion group ( in talks with Spanish governement ) which is formed by 10 association of drivers of PLEV, and we are so concerned of that term 'just with a handle bar' 

Thanks!

Regards,

Roger

• Like 1

A guy who got his Ninebot One S2 confiscated over a month ago in Berlin here.

Still no letter from the police (they said I should get one).

Visited them yesterday for the second time, the answer is still the same: "It's being tested by a qualified employee to determine the maximum speed, it can take time. Nothing you can do."

Take care in Germany.

3 hours ago, AlexY said:

A guy who got his Ninebot One S2 confiscated over a month ago in Berlin here.

Still no letter from the police (they said I should get one).

Visited them yesterday for the second time, the answer is still the same: "It's being tested by a qualified employee to determine the maximum speed, it can take time. Nothing you can do."

Take care in Germany.

Unbelievable :facepalm:

Confiscations happen, but they are probably rare. I think most EUCers in Germany have ridden hundreds or thousands of kilometers without having problems with law enforcement.

Well i also asked the people from 1radwerkstatt.de given that they sell EUC's they should now some thing about the legislation. The response was:

EUC not official allowed -> forbidden

but

you can make a insurance for EUC than "only" 60 Euro (and 1 point at
driver license)  max. at police control and you need driver license for CAR

but police man decide, also we have case with office make self test
drive and only interested

all is possible

So based on that, if you have insurance worst case that happens is a 60€ fine? Not sure what the effect or reasoning behind the one point is...

Edited by craio

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone!

I've got my Ninebot One S2 confiscated  by the police in Berlin several months ago and got it back several weeks ago.

They've sent to to Dekra for certification (turns out it's capable of 27 km/h instead of 24 :D).

Got a bill from the court today for 500 Euros. Certification costed 214 Euros.

Beware & good luck!

• Like 2

Damn, I am not coming to wheel in Germany. Certification and fine...what the...? I am glad that we have nothing like that in San Francisco. Sharepath, courtesy and going green is the way to go! Forget the red tape and bureaucratic money making machine, the government.

17 minutes ago, AlexY said:

Hello, everyone!

I've got my Ninebot One S2 confiscated  by the police in Berlin several months ago and got it back several weeks ago.

They've sent to to Dekra for certification (turns out it's capable of 27 km/h instead of 24 :D).

Beware & good luck!

Wow :o  It's expensive to be 'legal' in Germany.

Glad you're back riding though.

26 minutes ago, AlexY said:

Hello, everyone!

Beware & good luck!

So does that mean you are now allowed to use it in public because it's certified?

5 minutes ago, craio said:

So does that mean you are now allowed to use it in public because it's certified?

I think the "certification" is just another bill from Dekra for trying to find a guy who was able to drive and test the S2.

Then they officially stated ("certificated") that this device is highly illegal here in germany! Costs you 214,00 €, thanks for using Dekra Services. :pooping:

Can't imagine that he is now allowed to drive in public, we are still waiting for a law... :popcorn:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow :o  It's expensive to be 'legal' in Germany.

Only if you pay up right away instead of actually going to court or at least consulting a lawyer. Whether some 200€ bill to state the obvious is reasonable is also a question that doesn't get answered by giving in to the extortion right away.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, Seba said:

I'm very curious about methodology used to measure wheel max speed. I think They probably measured wheel rotational speed without load and just before cutout due to tiltback not being effective without rider...

No this is not the case. Ninebot one S2 is capable of doing 30 km/h with a rider. There is custom firmware available which allows that. However the motor is cutting off at around 32 with a rider and I would say something like 33-35 without... Those are the limits. So having 27 km/s certificated seems quite accurate. I would say 26, however... but pretty close. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The police once caught me on my wheel on a dirt road (Feldweg we call them here, just two ruts of dirt and gravel with grass in the center), on a Sunday morning, in the middle of nowhere. God knows what they were doing there. It was literally the place where I would have least expected a police patrol to be on a cold foggy Sunday morning. They just drove after me for a hundred meters (I had spotted them going in the other direction from further away and took a turn onto another dirt track in the hopes of making it seem totally unintended ...) and when I stopped and waved them past all innocently ("surely you drove after me only because you happen to be traveling in the same direction?! I cant imagine any other reason for the life of me!") I could see them laughing inside their car and they just reversed and drove back. They didnt even get out or roll down the window, they just wanted to take a look at my wheel. That was rather encouraging but of course i cant say what would have happened if they had caught me on an actual road.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

what would have happened if they had caught me on an actual road

Forest and field paths also belong to the public traffic area and the same laws apply. But they probably just turned a blind eye. Last week I was finally lucky and not in a chase as usual. :efefc8626c:
On a paved field path (no through traffic), which serves as a shortcut, the police has controlled. The police car was hidden in the forest and when suddenly the policeman came out of hiding and stepped onto the street he only smiled at me when I passed him at 45kmh. The first thought was, where is the next escape route. :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Nothing what could encourage me in this country......

... says the guy with almost 20.000 added up EUC kilometers in his sig line :lol:

Edited by mhpr262

Yeah I know. I usually look at google maps and search for tiny agricultural roads with barely any traffic that are far from any town or city and put together a route, then I load my unicycle into my car and drive there. I recently did a 30km tour from Ebersberg to Wasserburg east of Munich and only had to ride 200 meters on a "proper" road, with a white centerline. I was passed by only half a dozen cars during the entire trip on a  Sunday. Of course that is not possible if one wishes to use the wheel for running errands and commuting in a city ... :(

I take screen shots of google maps, stitch them together in MS Paint and mark the route, like this:

https://rapidgator.net/file/874d1c6bf0e470a5955f0fe354fb35f6/Ebersberg_-_Wasserburg_Tour.png.html

very crude,I'm sure, but it works.

Edited by mhpr262

43 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

I take screen shots of google maps, stitch them together in MS Paint and mark the route, like this:

https://rapidgator.net/file/874d1c6bf0e470a5955f0fe354fb35f6/Ebersberg_-_Wasserburg_Tour.png.html

very crude,I'm sure, but it works.

How about the Komoot App? I can only recommend it!