Good news from Germany

Dan the Man

Well news are not so great if you go into details.

Max speed 20kmh

You need technical papers for your device, which none has, otherwise you don’t get insurance, but you need insurance to drive.

So that’s pretty silly.

the regulation paper has 54 pages which only an advocate can read, german style, overregulated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is a starting point. Similar laws have been suggested in other eu countries.

Eventually I think they will raise the speed limit. I don't see why it should not be like an ebicycles 25kmh.

Any faster as it seems right now I doubt that is going to happen any time soon.

1 minute ago, AlexY said:

Just got my Ninebot One S2 confiscated by the police in Berlin after riding it daily for almost a year.

They also mentioned that legislation could be ready in a couple of months.

:shock2:

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There's no justification for that, so get your wheel back. Annoy them to death. Say the battery will go bad if you don't look after it, etc.

Definitely do that.

I have a friend who had the same problem, he send them a few e-mails  told them about the battery and said that they will have to pay when the wheel is dead, a few days later they told him to pick it up.

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The more I think about it, the more I think I should prepare to just floor it if the police stops me and tries to take my wheel.

Amen! Me too!

Edited by travsformation
  • Upvote 1

Lazy, dumb politicians.. I didn't like Berlin, now I'll never come to anywhere in Germany for her EUC intolerance. Inconsistent standards for bicyclists and EUC riders. I am glad San Francisco has none of these hypocritical barriers toward EUC riders.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:07 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Even ebikes, that aren't exactly new news, are either limited to 25kph (so a regular bike is always faster and ebikes are pointless)

Since the justification of limiting eBikes to 25 kph is because of safety reasons such as colliding with someone, then am I right in assuming that all automobiles will also be limited to 25 kph?

"I hate to be the kill joy at this party, but EUCs are explicitly excluded from this new regulation in Germany (because they lack handlebars, seriously!)."

Technically speaking, most EUCs such as the KingSong 16s, Gotways... do have handles. You can have it extended while riding. 

• Upvote 1

These bureaucrats have no idea ... if you want to get people out of their cars, then you need to give then useful alternatives, not slow, expensive, pointless paperweights requiring expensive insurance because that will just keep these vehicles niche. Requiring people to undergo some kind of education on safe riding and showing proper consideration for pedestrians and other vehicles would greatly reduce the kind of problems seen in France with scooter rentals.

3 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

Can we blame Emmanuel Kant for this kind of rigidity?

We can trace the restrictions on EUC to 2016 when a man riding a Gotway killed 12 people in Berlin by running them over with his monstrous 18 inch wheel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_truck_attack

Since that attack, the Germans have been very strict about EUC usage. Several more attacks were thwarted when suspicious amounts of garden shovels, super glue, and rubber bands were being bought. It seems very clear from internet searches and a prototype that ISIS was building unicycles of mass destruction. Evidently many of the political refugees were being let into Germany when they claimed their emotional support pink Teddy Bears that appeared to be female were actually self-identifying as male.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

We can trace the restrictions on EUC to 2016 when a man riding a Gotway killed 12 people in Berlin by running them over with his monstrous 18 inch wheel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_truck_attack

Since that attack, the Germans have been very strict about EUC usage. Several more attacks were thwarted when suspicious amounts of garden shovels, super glue, and rubber bands were being bought. It seems very clear from internet searches and a prototype that ISIS was building unicycles of mass destruction. Evidently many of the political refugees were being let into Germany when they claimed their emotional support pink Teddy Bears that appeared to be female were actually self-identifying as male.

Whats the point with this comment?
It isn't funny, its wrong, its degrading towards people that had to flee their homeland due to varying (valid!) reasons...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

I spare you another bunch of bureaucratic and nonsensical peculiarities of these new regulations which would fill more pages than @travsformation 's combined works altogether in this forum (which I actually enjoyed very much, to end on a more reconciliatory note :rolleyes: ).

Hahahaha . Remember I joined the forum less than 6 months ago, so I'm only on Volume 1 of "Travsformation's Guide to the Galaxy" (I expect it to amount to 42 volumes) :efee612b4b:

Glad you're enjoying my endless rants...my girlfriend thanks you all for allowing me to channel them via the forum and spare her head from exploding :efee612b4b:

On an on-topic note...things aren't looking much better in Spain either, but luckily, the laisser faire attitude is even more pronounced here than in France :D

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, Olav said:

Whats the point with this comment?
It isn't funny, it's wrong, it's degrading towards people that had to flee their homeland due to varying (valid!) reasons...

It's hilarious, because a society that accords illegal EUCs as a greater danger than legal trucks is also unlikely to realize that inviting a bunch of illiterate young male savages into your country is dangerous.

Germans, at least most of them, have a badly adjusted danger sensor, but don't worry a couple more years of turning Berlin into a 3rd world country will soon correctly adjust that sensor, as AfD members well know.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 1:59 AM, LanghamP said:

inviting a bunch of illiterate young male savages into your country is dangerous

And not helping human beings that are in dire straights is inhumane and selfish (if you have the means to help them) even if these human beings are young male foreigners (that you call savages, oh boy). Make your pick.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

I would like to know if more people who got their wheels seized by german police got it back in the end because of my knowledge they are allowed to destroy it since it was used in an criminal offense (no joke). I try to avoid police but I know some day they will catch me and I'm pretty sure they won't let me go. Last monday it almost was so far, they tried to cut off my path. Luckily I went the other way and I could drive around. 

31 minutes ago, Mossi said:

I would like to know if more people who got their wheels seized by german police got it back in the end because of my knowledge they are allowed to destroy it since it was used in an criminal offense (no joke). I try to avoid police but I know some day they will catch me and I'm pretty sure they won't let me go. Last monday it almost was so far, they tried to cut off my path. Luckily I went the other way and I could drive around. 

Never heard of police destroying a wheel. Friends of mine got it seized but had it back within a week.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:59 AM, LanghamP said:

It's hilarious, because a society that accords illegal EUCs as a greater danger than legal trucks is also unlikely to realize that inviting a bunch of illiterate young male savages into your country is dangerous.

I upvoted your initial comment on the subject thinking you were being ironic, in an absurd Ponty-Pythonesque style. Didn't realize you were being serious. Sorry for the downvote...would rather not delve into why I disagree with you (this isn't a political/sociological/racial/religious thread/forum), so let's just leave it at "this is NOT the right place to express such ideas"...

We're talking about EUCs, not views on exile, refugees, immigration and whatnot...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1