A couple of noob questions...

Freewheeler

I bought a used IPS Zero (260W) but I can't find the manual anywhere. I have some questions and I'm hoping I can get help here. 

1. I'd love to get a PDF of the maual. Does anyone have a link?

2.  Is there a logging app that works for this model?

3. My wheel has trouble connecting to the IamIPS app. It usually takes two tries and an FC. It's not stable enough to get real time data while riding. I have an Android device (Moto G6). Is there another app I can use? 

4. How low on the battery meter can I safely ride? I live in L.A. but it's been in the mid 40°F's lately. 

5. I love the wheel but I want to upgrade soon. What would you recommend?

What I like about the Zero is the manueverability but I want a larger diameter wheel to better negotiate small bumps, cobblestone, grass, etc.

My battery pack is old and feeble and I only get about 8-10 miles right now. I would love to have much longer range.

I doubt I'll ever go faster than 20.. maybe 25 KpH so top is not as important. I will be commuting on a train from time to time so a handle with a well placed switched would be nice. 

Safety and reliability are my top priorities. I have no experience working on wheels though I am a tinkerer and somewhat tech savvy. I have no PCB soldering skills. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Hi @Freewheeler.

I think that a number of your questions have a lot of optimism in them and I hate to have to tell you, but I wouldn't be expecting too many great answers.

As far as I know there isn't a logging app that works with any IPS wheels. What I can say though is that there are a couple of versions of the IamIPS app - and selecting the right one might prove beneficial. Does the one you have start up with;

• A grey background, followed by a "darker" themed app, or
  • A picture of a person carrying an IPS wheel, followed by a white app with a yellow theme?

For a 260 Wh wheel, I would start worrying about safety at about 50% charge. But even at full power I wouldn't recommend pushing it too hard.

With regard to a replacement, if you are wanting safety and reliability then King Song would currently be a good brand to consider - something like the KS-16S, which would give you a top speed of 35 km/h and a range of 50+ km on a charge. And as you live in LA, I would also suggest that you manage to get yourself to one of Marty Backe's group rides (often starting from Griffith Park). While your current ride may not allow you to complete a full ride with the crew, you would at least get a chance to talk with the local owners and probably even try some of the wheels to get an idea of how they roll.

Thank you @The Fat Unicyclist. I took a screenie of the startup screen for the version I have. I would LOVE it if I've been using the crappier version. If it is, do you have a link to the better version? BTW, I'm on Android. 

As far as battery level.. I have a limiter set for 20KpH and I rarely hit a lean back. I cruise. I'm not looking for thrills. I don't rabbit start or brake hard. Would you still say 50% is where I need to stop and charge up again? I have ridden it to 18% before I read posts on here and new better. It would sound a warning and leaned back to a crawl but allowed me to continue on my way after a restart. Once, it acted really squirrley below 5%.:cry2:

Funny you mentioned @Marty Backe and Griffith Park.. they we're there this morning but I couldn't make it. I hope to see him at another event March 3rd. I also subbed to his posts so.. thanks for the tip!

Cheers. 

Screenshot_20190223-213358.png

1 hour ago, Freewheeler said:

Thank you @The Fat Unicyclist. I took a screenie of the startup screen for the version I have. I would LOVE it if I've been using the crappier version. If it is, do you have a link to the better version? BTW, I'm on Android. 

As far as battery level.. I have a limiter set for 20KpH and I rarely hit a lean back. I cruise. I'm not looking for thrills. I don't rabbit start or brake hard. Would you still say 50% is where I need to stop and charge up again? I have ridden it to 18% before I read posts on here and new better. It would sound a warning and leaned back to a crawl but allowed me to continue on my way after a restart. Once, it acted really squirrley below 5%.:cry2:

Funny you mentioned @Marty Backe and Griffith Park.. they we're there this morning but I couldn't make it. I hope to see him at another event March 3rd. I also subbed to his posts so.. thanks for the tip!

A couple of years ago I was looking to upgrade (coincidentally from an IPS wheel too) and as I happened to be passing through LA, @Marty Backe arranged a group ride while I was in town. At the time there were very few riders or EUC options available here in New Zealand, so for me it was fantastic - not only with all the wheels to see and try, but a chance to meet other riders, see how they rode, et cetera. If you're really bored, there is a video of the day that you can watch here... https://youtu.be/jyq1pzk9wyc

Now about your battery level... A lot of it depends on how you ride (which you say is casual) and also how heavy you are. You probably wouldn't have guessed, but I am a larger rider, and I wouldn't feel comfortable riding your wheel below 50%  - even at 5 mph, the extra power required to lift the wheel (with me on it) out of that pothole that I didn't see coming is substantial, and that is the point that the wheel will stop and I won't! 

When I say I am a heavier rider, I am talking about a riding weight of ~250 lb (that's me, clothed, wearing protection and carrying an emergency lunch). Of course, the lighter the rider the less "contingency power" is required, so the safer it gets... And based on the detail of your post above, it seems that you know your wheel (which is always critical). So if you are comfortable going lower then go for it (gently) and regardless of speed, gear up too!

And as for your App - that seems to be a different version to what I have gathered over the years (if you have the APK, let me know as I would be keen to add it to my collection). The versions that I do have can be found at https://www.roll.nz/content/22-apps. I can't comment on whether any of them will work at all, but if they do they may work better. To make it easier, most of them can be installed side-by-side with other versions, so you should find out fairly quickly.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Thank you @The Fat Unicyclist. The video looks great. I can't wait to upgrade and get on one of those rides.

One of the apps you provided works great! I'm going into Hollywood today so I'll put it through its paces. Thanks for that!

The app I use came from here: http://ipswheel.asia/app-download.html

Thanks again for all the info. It really is helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived