How reliable is KS18XL?

egress123

I've ridden my KS18XL for about 600km. Haven't had any problems with it yet. The lift sensor has failed a few times. But I lift it pretty often and I'd guess it's been working 95-98% of the times. But riding it I haven't felt anything that would make feel unsure so far. But most owners, including me has only had their wheels for a month or two. And that's probably too little time to evaluate. The only problem I've heard people have is with new app and firmware. Which I haven't installed yet. When people say it works fine, maybe I will. But if it ain't broken, don't fix it. =)

I also have a V8 and I've put more than 2000km on it. But I realized after a few weeks that I would grow out of it pretty fast. It's great for short commutes since it's so light. But on longer rides you're always aware of the little battery that is gonna stop you from feeling the freedom you get from a ~1600WH battery. My choice for my first wheel was between the V8 and the KS16S. If I got to go back and change my decision I would have gone with the 16S. Those extra 5 km/h and almost twice the size battery would probably not have made me grow out of it just as fast.

I can add that I'm not at all an extreme rider. I haven't yet gotten the XL up to max speed and I feel no need to do it. But it feels great to ride a wheel that has more to give than I need to use. On the V8 I was riding the limit pretty much all the time, and that just takes the fun out of it. Don't get me wrong, I've had lots and lots of fun riding my V8. But after riding the XL, the V8 just feels like a kids toy.

When it comes to reliability I think you're  pretty safe as long as you stick to the biggest manufacturers (Kingsong, Inmotion, Gotway and Ninebot). Since your first choice also was an Inmotion wheel you probably chose quality before performance, so you would clearly not chose a Gotway wheel. Only having the experience of Kingsong and Inmotion I would say that Inmotion probably is the better manufacturer, but Kingsong is not far behind. And the Kingsong wheels has way better stats than the Inmotion.

Like I said, I had regrets from buying the V8, but I'm pretty sure I will never regret my XL. It was a big change with 10kg more weight. But being a man of 195cm/100kg it feels like the perfect size for me. You just need to be a little bit more confident while making turns and the wheel will follow. I'm sure you wouldn't regret buying a XL either. I bought mine from Speedy Feet, they have the XL-footplates in store. Don't buy a XL without the larger footplates.

Best of luck in buying your next wheel!

6-C1948-A6-658-F-4323-A49-F-78-BA46-E59-

I too upgraded from a V8 to the 18XL. I have 400 miles on the clock on mine. It has handled all of the snow, rain and salt that a Boston winter has thrown at it and come out with no issues (besides that stupid GD lift sensor. Damn thing is touchy as hell). Absolutely would recommend it as an upgrade over the V8. I would also recommend buying through Ewheels as Jason gives fantastic support should you have any questions or need technical help. 

I only have the baby version, aka KS18L. But like many others here I started out on Inmotion V8, then upgraded.I would not go back to the V8 for anything. In the start the V8 seemed amazing. But the KS18L and 18XL is just a total different level of wheel.

I got almost 400km on my V8. Today I have 1260Km on my KS18L ( Kingsong app KM...arguable showing +15-20% to gps meassured distance). I am on the opinion it is somewhere inbetween. But that is a diffent question compared to what you asked.

Today I didn't feel my speed due to MC helmet, playing music on mc bt comms and rain, so I got a tiltback warning at 50% battery capacity and pushing acceleration too hard. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have gotten tiltback. It is a supprice at first, but managable. This makes you heart skip a beat or two. but once you felt it and know what it is it is not that bad. It does feel different compared to a V8, simply because you have so much more power, top speed and Kingsong is more stable imho meaning it don't feel like a surfbord paddling out to sea as the V8 gyro tend to tilt/dip during turns if you accor break while turning.

In short KS18L/XL is a totally balanced wheeel, not too slow or the fastest but reasonable for most, wheel not the widest, but still great balance between comfort anf ability, range wise might be clost to best in class for XL version, L version more than fine for my use (right now) the longest I have ridden is 35km in one go. Because I get tired in legs/knees and feet due to medical challanged (you can see more about this in other of my posts).

So are there other wheels to contend, maybe, but from what I know right now I would go for a KS18XL with large pedels if I were to upgrade from a V8.

I hope you found my answer useful. 

Note:; Yesterday I had my first pedel scrape, (after large pedel upgrade) due to car forcing me to go faster in a roundabout crossing before a right turn ( and there being a large water pool I tried to avoid too). But even that felt reasonable safe and never in any unsafe sensation due to this. 

Looking forward to you reporting back if it meet the expatation we have set for you. I am pretty sure, you will be happy too.

On 21.02.2019 at 23:32, D3m0nzz said:

Ben de bir V8'den 18XL'e yükselttim. Benim saatimde 400 mil var. Bir Boston kışının attığı kar, yağmur ve tuzu ele aldı ve hiçbir sorun çıkmadı (bu aptal GD lift sensörünün yanı sıra, lanet olası şey cehennem gibi dokunaklı). Kesinlikle V8 üzerinden yükseltme olarak tavsiye ederim. Ayrıca, herhangi bir sorunuz olursa veya teknik yardıma ihtiyaç duyduğunuzda Jason fantastik destek verdiği için Ewheels üzerinden satın almanızı tavsiye ederim. 

which wheel do you prefer v10f or ks18xl?

1 hour ago, mustafa_bozkurt said:

hello my name is mustafa, ı lıve in turkey
ı'm using v10f!!
ı ordered ks18xl ı must regret ?

I can't answer that one as I never tried a V10 or V10f.

Others have answer this, and my pick on those answers seem to be in favour of KS18XL.

To really get an answer to this you need to ask why did you make the order? What do you expect to gain? What do you want to use the wheel for?

Tricks, trails, commuting, long rides, speed riding....not all is done by a wheel, or rather some wheels do afew on the list better than others.

thank's
I've ordered on offıcıal distributor in turkey for ks18xl
we often used to ride for trip and hoby with my wife
usually we are riding on flat area and long ride
i have v10f and my wife has v8
but the devıce (v8) is inadequate when makıng my wife is riding
when she using v10f, i use ks18xl will we be compatible? what do you thınk

IMG_0521.jpg

Honestly I think it might work in the begining.

But do not let her try the KS18XL or she will want one too 😉

4 hours ago, mustafa_bozkurt said:

hello my name is mustafa, ı lıve in turkey
ı'm using v10f!!
ı ordered ks18xl ı must regret ?

If you ordered the 18XL you made the right choice. I have 18L and 18XL, and I love them both. They are the most perfect wheels on the market. Some wheels do one thing, or a couple of things very well, but the 18L/XL does everything well. That's very cool that your wife rides also :)👍

wow!  I should check this forum more often.  I just started to read the responses.

thank you everyone!!!

Why is the extra large pedal a must? Other than the obvious size difference, are there other aspect of extra large pedal that I should be looking into? (does it have better grip?  better material?  lighter?  )

thanks again.

1 hour ago, egress123 said:

wow!  I should check this forum more often.  I just started to read the responses.

thank you everyone!!!

Why is the extra large pedal a must? Other than the obvious size difference, are there other aspect of extra large pedal that I should be looking into? (does it have better grip?  better material?  lighter?  )

thanks again.

It depends. But this is how I ride and how this helps me feeling first of all safe and more comfortable when riding. Here goes....

Compare to western people I am not a large person. My body weight is something arounf 75-80kg the add equipment too. My feets are size 41 EU or size 7 US. So technically I am fine with normal size pedals, but...

The longer I ride the more tired I get in feets and lower legs. The larger pedals allow me to shift feet more so I am less static leading to less fatigue.

Large pedals are fully gribtale covered are really sticky so feet slide less and since i don't stand on the pedal edge on my large pedals it feels so much more safe, especially in rainy conditions.

When going uphill I can step forward a little so I don't have to press as hard with my feet, since you don't want to overlean (I mean have the wheel behind you due to leaning forward). Same goes when going downhill, just here I stand a bit further back on pedals. I have now adopted a ride style where my feet is not aligned. Left foot is abit infront (my gas or accelerating foot), right foot a bit behind(balance and breaking foot). On normal size pedals I didn't feel safe doing this as I would stand on pedal edge where there was no grip tape.

I hope this is somewhat clear, otherwise ask me to explain it different.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, Unventor said:

It depends. But this is how I ride and how this helps me feeling first of all safe and more comfortable when riding. Here goes....

Compare to western people I am not a large person. My body weight is something arounf 75-80kg the add equipment too. My feets are size 41 EU or size 7 US. So technically I am fine with normal size pedals, but...

The longer I ride the more tired I get in feets and lower legs. The larger pedals allow me to shift feet more so I am less static leading to less fatigue.

Large pedals are fully gribtale covered are really sticky so feet slide less and since i don't stand on the pedal edge on my large pedals it feels so much more safe, especially in rainy conditions.

When going uphill I can step forward a little so I don't have to press as hard with my feet, since you don't want to overlean (I mean have the wheel behind you due to leaning forward). Same goes when going downhill, just here I stand a bit further back on pedals. I have now adopted a ride style where my feet is not aligned. Left foot is abit infront (my gas or accelerating foot), right foot a bit behind(balance and breaking foot). On normal size pedals I didn't feel safe doing this as I would stand on pedal edge where there was no grip tape.

I hope this is somewhat clear, otherwise ask me to explain it different.

it does make sense.  you explained the aspect of larger pedal that I did not understand before.  thanks for taking time to respond to my post!

On 3/6/2019 at 7:00 AM, egress123 said:

after all the responses, i just placed an order of KS18XL with Jason from eWheels.

Jason seems to be a great guy.  He always responses so quickly and gives me honest opinions.  

Nice! No (more) complaints here. The app sucks, but after coming to terms with that, you'll be stoked!!!

Archived