New Kingsong app for Android ( do not try it ;-) )

Steven Algoet

hi, I noticed there was a new APK on the site of Kingsong. Tried to install it and now again lots of problems...

It asks a lot of unneeded rights from android like making phonecalls and use microphone.

Afterwards you need you login... Of register. If you register you have to find your country in a unsorted list.. enter phonenummer tot receive a sms, never arrived., Enter e-mail to receive a code, never arrived...

Reset password? Same problem...

Kingsong, good wheel crappy app...

• Like 2

that app is horrible garbage.. tried for hours to even get a code.. finally got one to send to my email but then it said wrong country code.... country code, for email?? do they have chimps working on their app??? SERVERS ARE DOWN lol.. anyways went back to the older orange app with the stupid social stuff since the really old green app wont work with the KS 18

edit: this one is the working one https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r8gu6FlqgNawFNX5DtyKrtyVlDaBE_i1/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, Steven Algoet said:

I just noticed the previous version was still on my android, and I was logged in there. So I could still open it. 

Any other good apps to control the wheel? 

Try Wheel Log. I tried to register on the new app a couple of days ago and it repeatedly reported that the server was down.

I will try again soon, but I have more important things to do than make repeated unsuccessful attempts to log on to the KS app all friggin day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The issue is worse now.

The KingSong app is the only way to change system parameters, and it requires a login, and it requires the internet to be available, and it requires the wheel to be registered to you.

If you change your email address, you better "unbind" the wheel from the account. The KingSong servers must be up.

And wheellog doesn't help (nice app tho!), it doesn't have the parameter settings in it.

I am trying to roll back to the APK that's listed here, if I can do that, I will unbind the wheel and not trust KingSong again.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, Steven Algoet said:

It asks a lot of unneeded rights from android like making phonecalls and use microphone.

+1 thats absolutely horrible!

On 2/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, Steven Algoet said:

Afterwards you need you login... Of register. If you register you have to find your country in a unsorted list.. enter phonenummer tot receive a sms, never arrived., Enter e-mail to receive a code, never arrived

My email arrived to late to register after i got "weak" and gave the apps this exaggerated rights.

Its common and understandable that manufacturers like their products registered and get to know their customers, but with the server situation it can get very cumbersome for us.

I would appreciate it very much to have an app to manage my (and hopefully some nice future) KS wheels without having to give it full control of my phone and having the struggle with registering!

Maybe @Micheal Shen could regard this feedback for some next app versions!

This week, i found two user feedback the email code arrived too late, so i required APP developer to extend the valid from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. Since some people use mobile to check the email and when the network is busy, the code arrive after 5 minutes.

If you don't receive the email code, you can inform us the time and your email address, i can check whether Server send it or not.

In Feb 2019, we just invited few distributors to test it, so the account was limited. That's the reason.

@bbulkow  Actually, i think your worry is necessary.

If you don't have a phone, you still can ride the wheel without the APP.

If you have a phone available and have logined an account before, even you lose the internet, you still can use APP to connect the wheel. Only bind and speed settings need network.

If you have a phone available and it have the internet, you can change all settings when APP is connected with the wheel.

So if you didn't logined an account in APP ever, and you lost the internet simultaneously, you can't use APP to connect with the wheel this time, as well as change all settings. But you still can ride the wheel under max speed = pedal tilt back speed.

I guess every user will login when they buy it, so whether have internet or server is down, it don't affect your ride.

Please note only bind and speed settings need network, other functions based on bluetooth connection and location.

• 1 month later...

(Please post in English from now on.)

bonjourje viens de mettre a jour la version du fw et voila le probleme que je rencontre il me demande de reprendre la mise a jour et quand je fait reprendre la fenetre se ferme et retour a la case dpart si qq a une idees ... le depaneur kingsong france a envoyé la video en chine pour avoir des info ...j en serais plus demain donc la la roue est reconue mais elle s allume pas quand je clic sur cadena...elle demande la reprise de la mise a jour j ai installé plei de version du fware sur mon tel...bien tout desinstallé en profondeur ..j ai reinstallé plusieur apk mais meme avec d autre version c est exactement pareil...si vous avez des idees

Google Translate:

hello I just updated the version of the fw and voila the problem that I meet he asks me to resume the update and when I do resume the window closes and return to the box departure if qq has an idea ... the depaneur kingsong france sent the video in china to have info ... I would be more tomorrow so the wheel is reconue but it does not light when I click on cadena ... she asks the resumption of the update j I installed full version of the fware on my tel ... well all uninstalled in depth ..j have reinstalled several apk but even with other version c is exactly the same ... if you have ideas

Edited by meepmeepmayer

11 hours ago, marcus16100 said:

(Please post in English from now on.)

bonjourje viens de mettre a jour la version du fw et voila le probleme que je rencontre il me demande de reprendre la mise a jour et quand je fait reprendre la fenetre se ferme et retour a la case dpart si qq a une idees ... le depaneur kingsong france a envoyé la video en chine pour avoir des info ...j en serais plus demain donc la la roue est reconue mais elle s allume pas quand je clic sur cadena...elle demande la reprise de la mise a jour j ai installé plei de version du fware sur mon tel...bien tout desinstallé en profondeur ..j ai reinstallé plusieur apk mais meme avec d autre version c est exactement pareil...si vous avez des idees

Google Translate:

hello I just updated the version of the fw and voila the problem that I meet he asks me to resume the update and when I do resume the window closes and return to the box departure if qq has an idea ... the depaneur kingsong france sent the video in china to have info ... I would be more tomorrow so the wheel is reconue but it does not light when I click on cadena ... she asks the resumption of the update j I installed full version of the fware on my tel ... well all uninstalled in depth ..j have reinstalled several apk but even with other version c is exactly the same ... if you have ideas

From the video, you can see the APP can't read the model information from the wheel firmware, which means the wheel firmware is not complete.

I guess, the upgrade may be interuppted by unstable network or connection(bluetooth connection have distance limit and is affected by other wireless signal)

Need to upgrade the firmware, please kindly contact the seller or distributor where do you buy from.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:55 PM, Steven Algoet said:

hi, I noticed there was a new APK on the site of Kingsong. Tried to install it and now again lots of problems...

Afterwards you need you login... Of register. If you register you have to find your country in a unsorted list.. enter phonenummer tot receive a sms, never arrived., Enter e-mail to receive a code, never arrived...

Reset password? Same problem...

Kingsong, good wheel crappy app...

I bought a brand new KS 18XL and cannot get to unlock because of the same problem. It requests permissions for:

1) to make and manage the phone calls on my device...

2) access photos, media, and files on my device...

3) to take pictures and record videos from my device...

4) record voices and audio through my device...

If i deny any of these requests, it returns that it needs these permissions for the app to work normally; and gives only two choices: "cancel" which it freezes up, or "ok" which cycles the requests all over again.

Why does kingsong need to invade all aspects of my device just to operate the wheel? Why can I not just unlock the wheel to use it?

I bought a brick "0 miles". Boy am I pissed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

I bought a brand new KS 18XL and cannot get to unlock because of the same problem. It requests permissions for:

1) to make and manage the phone calls on my device...

2) access photos, media, and files on my device...

3) to take pictures and record videos from my device...

4) record voices and audio through my device...

If i deny any of these requests, it returns that it needs these permissions for the app to work normally; and gives only two choices: "cancel" which it freezes up, or "ok" which cycles the requests all over again.

Why does kingsong need to invade all aspects of my device just to operate the wheel? Why can I not just unlock the wheel to use it?

I bought a brick "0 miles". Boy am I pissed.

so accept them all, unlock the wheel, then uninstall it if it makes you feel uncomfortable.. not like it is going to use any of these things, they just dont know how to make a proper app.. a lot of euc apps ask for permissions like this

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rywokast said:

so accept them all, unlock the wheel, then uninstall it if it makes you feel uncomfortable.. not like it is going to use any of these things, they just dont know how to make a proper app.. a lot of euc apps ask for permissions like this

This function is required by users, who want to record riding moments and share in our community.

If don't have such permission, when click record or share the video or picture, the APP will crash and users will complaint our APP is bad.

So it's really hard to meet all users' demand.

If you dislike it, you can set the speed and then uninstall it.

6 hours ago, Micheal Shen said:

This function is required by users, who want to record riding moments and share in our community.

If don't have such permission, when click record or share the video or picture, the APP will crash and users will complaint our APP is bad.

So it's really hard to meet all users' demand.

If you dislike it, you can set the speed and then uninstall it.

Why does it have to crash if the permission isn't given? Why not ask for permission if user performs an action requiring such permission? It's the common way of handling this kind of situation (all modern OSes provide a way to do it).

7 hours ago, Micheal Shen said:

Or you could do what decent software developers do: no permission? Disable the functionality.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I downloaded the new update on Android, updated the firmware on the wheel, and I don't know WHAT is different, but after re-doing the Horizontal Calibration, I am *definitely* going faster than I was before, well before any alarms are going off.  My alarm settings remain unchanged, but I've ridden 800 miles on my KS-16S and I know I'm going faster than I ever have before.  Very strange, but also a little scary.

• 11 months later...

The old app was terrible but worked (most of the time)  It always required me to turn something off and on again or do a manual connection or all of the above, witch works after a few minutes of messing around. (very annoying)

The new app requires crazy permissions but even after I agree it will not let me log on or register.  It says to "put in the correct email" or shows some or other error making it impossible to date to use it.  It has been over a year of struggle, uninstall and reinstall or re-download and try again every few months hoping it will be fixed or re-released. 

1 hour ago, ass said:

The old app was terrible but worked (most of the time)  It always required me to turn something off and on again or do a manual connection or all of the above, witch works after a few minutes of messing around. (very annoying)

The new app requires crazy permissions but even after I agree it will not let me log on or register.  It says to "put in the correct email" or shows some or other error making it impossible to date to use it.  It has been over a year of struggle, uninstall and reinstall or re-download and try again every few months hoping it will be fixed or re-released. 

weird, this app has worked perfectly for me since it came out.... i will never switch it again lol.. however euc world or darkness bot can do everything and are way better in every regard (ignore my previous comment at the top of the page.. i couldnt get this app to work when i first downloaded it because i didnt realize that not only do you need to select your country, but also need to include your country code in your phone number.. once i did that its worked perfectly ever since)

Screenshot_20200529-035733_Kingsong.jpg

Edited by Rywokast

• 6 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, Rywokast said:

... however euc world or darkness bot can do everything and are way better in every regard

Hi. In order to switch to euc world app, do I need to remove my wheel from KS app first? I can't find a way to remove it. I guess I don't need to change my speed alarms and tiltback settings if these are set to max already.

1 minute ago, aerobit said:

Hi. In order to switch to euc world app, do I need to remove my wheel from KS app first? I can't find a way to remove it. I guess I don't need to change my speed alarms and tiltback settings if these are set to max already.

I don't know about darkness bot on iphones but on android, all I have to do is exit out of the KS app & boot up EUC World to connect to my S18. If you're on android, you can kill the KS app from apps section in settings or do a restart/reboot. 

• Like 1