Here's why Kingsong makes the safest Electric Unicycles for beginners

U-Stride

On 2/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, Jediah Matthew said:

I am not sure why King Song KS18L would be a safer wheel for beginners than any other quality wheel. Usually 16" wheels are thought to be the best starting point.

Your "review" seems to compare the KS18L to your tried and true Tesla, and that is not a good choice. A 16" powerful wheel is going to have more zip, be more easy to maneuver and out accelerate a 18" or larger wheel. The MSX will have a higher top end speed than the KS18L and Tesla for sure and will allow you to draw more current, but it is not likely to accelerate faster or maneuver better than the Tesla either. 

The KS18L is fast, smooth and comfortable. This is what most "performance" riders/drivers want in their "main" cars, motorcycles and EUCs. There will always will be those who will favor "sports bikes", muscle cars and Gotways.

Going fast is not a definition I would use as a measure who is a beginner or experienced rider. Some are into endurance .. range is most important and they might see a person who can't do a 50 mile ride without sitting down as wanting. Others may never ride more than 15 mph but can do amazing tricks and are very experienced. There are many other "experienced" riders who have their own niches. 

The cult  of riders/drivers who make  jack-rabbit starts, weave in and out of traffic, accelerate at every stop, slam on brakes at the last minute at  the next stop or just revel at riding at or near the final beeps, will always portray such behavior as being skillful or experienced.  Others with different riding/driving patterns will not see it that way. 

All reviews are opinionated to some degree, it is just a question of whether you have actual metrics and for that matter, which metrics are chosen. I look forward to your review of another 18" wheel or larger. Enjoy the Tesla is a great wheel. 

21 minutes ago, Jerome said:

The KS18L is fast, smooth and comfortable. This is what most "performance" riders/drivers want in their "main" cars, motorcycles and EUCs. There will always will be those who will favor "sports bikes", muscle cars and Gotways.

Going fast is not a definition I would use as a measure who is a beginner or experienced rider. Some are into endurance .. range is most important and they might see a person who can't do a 50 mile ride without sitting down as wanting. Others may never ride more than 15 mph but can do amazing tricks and are very experienced. There are many other "experienced" riders who have their own niches. 

The cult  of riders/drivers who make  jack-rabbit starts, weave in and out of traffic, accelerate at every stop, slam on brakes at the last minute at  the next stop or just revel at riding at or near the final beeps, will always portray such behavior as being skillful or experienced.  Others with different riding/driving patterns will not see it that way. 

All reviews are opinionated to some degree, it is just a question of whether you have actual metrics and for that matter, which metrics are chosen. I look forward to your review of another 18" wheel or larger. Enjoy the Tesla is a great wheel. 

I agree with the assumption that KS wheels are the safest for beginners. Yet , @Jerome wrote a real comprehensive argument that I very much agree with and enjoyed. These wheels are used very differently by very different people. Be safe and enjoy your wheels. :thumbup:

@Jediah Matthew I like your videos.  :thumbup: I did not get to watch the whole video this morning. It was funny watching you talk about dip. On the GW you have to do the driving. On the KS ,it lets you pre lean. That helps you move forward with less effort. It is kinda like switching from a clutch to an automatic. I like The GW better. 

Everything else was due to wheel size. You have to lean harder on larger wheels. I promise it never held you back. I never heard any acceleration beeps. That means you were not leaning harder than the wheel can accelerate.  I have watched many people say the very same thing when riding a 18" MSX for the first time. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, Jerome said:

The KS18L is fast, smooth and comfortable. This is what most "performance" riders/drivers want in their "main" cars, motorcycles and EUCs. 

The cult  of riders/drivers who make  jack-rabbit starts, weave in and out of traffic, accelerate at every stop, slam on brakes at the last minute at  the next stop 

I'm with you in this one, as I prefer an entirely docile manner of riding after each big crash.

As anyone who rides wheels for even the shortest time, you discover, quickly and painfully, that losing traction means losing front to back balance. While we all love to do peelouts on gravel, we get extremely high crash rates doing so. Losing traction in any other vehicle isn't the automatic crash it is on an EUC.

Therefore jackrabbit starts and stops are never really safe on an EUC, as a loss of traction quickly starts a cycle whereby the wheel keeps tilting more while spinning the wheel ever higher. Basically the opposite of ABS. When an EUC loses traction it responds by giving less traction!

In my opinion, a big wheel with a wide tire is safer because it doesn't lose traction in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...

A wider tire or bigger wheel doesn't necessarily mean more traction. Tire width is a relatively unimportant factor for traction of low-powered vehicles (in the simpler traction models it has actually zero influence). The reason is that the traction is proportional to the pressure and the pressure is inverse proportional to the contact patch, canceling out the factor that describes traction to be proportional to the contact patch size.

I have been able to save traction losses on EUCs quite regularly. By now I am almost convinced that there is more leeway for a safe on an EUC than on a bicycle, because the main mechanism to save a traction loss on the EUC is not available on the bicycle: I bent the knees and thereby release weight and "actively" bring the wheel back under the body.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:07 AM, Jerome said:

Completely agree. If anything, going fast is probably one of the easiest things to do on the wheel and most likely one of the first things one picks up. I am reminded of Ron'sWorldMiami where that dude starts going top speed on his Tesla a week after he first learned how to ride and promptly breaking his arm a few weeks after that, lol. 

Archived