Inmotion V5f cut out/ turned off mid ride, major fall

Chad Slavin

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@LanghamP has a looooooong history of very opinionated positions. I always look for him to establish the outer boundaries of just about any topic :) Lots of pearls of wisdom, but it's kind of like going to those diamond fields where for $5 you can go in and dig to your hearts again, hoping you'll find something. Every once in awhile you do. I say this with love @LanghamP :wub:

Now, to one of your points; eye visors on motorcycle helmets can crack and puncture your eye? :shock2:  I would hope that's not possible - these things aren't make from glass, I hope ;)

I hope not too! All speculation. Just for fun 😉 

@LanghamP has a looooooong history of very opinionated positions. I always look for him to establish the outer boundaries of just about any topic :) Lots of pearls of wisdom, but it's kind of like going to those diamond fields where for $5 you can go in and dig to your hearts again, hoping you'll find something. Every once in awhile you do. I say this with love @LanghamP :wub:

Now, to one of your points; eye visors on motorcycle helmets can crack and puncture your eye? :shock2:  I would hope that's not possible - these things aren't make from glass, I hope ;)

I hope not too! All speculation. Just for fun

whoops! Submit button didn't seem to work. 😉

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

I hope not too! All speculation. Just for fun

whoops! Submit button didn't seem to work. 😉

You're really messing with my head now ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Ok. Since it's impossible to argue against it, I'll add additional concerns. Eye visor can crack on impact into sharp pieces and could severely puncture your face. The added 1 or two pounds of heavier weight could be a culprit for causing whiplash as well. A fast trip to the pavement with your head at the fastest point of your body swinging towards impact, could cause you to hit with much more force and more strain on the neck muscles which could cause further unnecessary injury. 😜

Motorcycle visors must meet VESC 8 standards in order to be certified DOT (which all Snell helmets meet). The VESC 8 standard states the visor must not chip, shatter, or otherwise allow a penetrating object through the visor, and that the visor must have no sharp edges.

Would you prefer to have a visor that meets VESC 8 or would you prefer to have nothing between you and the penetrating object? What would most reasonable people prefer?

Heavier helmets, within reason, aren't associated with an increase of whiplash.

“Motorcycle Helmets Reduce Spine Injuries after Collisions; Helmet Weight as Risk to Neck Called a ‘Myth’.” Johns Hopkins Medicine. The Johns Hopkins University, 8 Feb 2011. Web. 31 Aug 2013. <http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/motorcycle_helmets_reduce_ spine_injuries_after_collisions_helmet_weight_as_risk_to_neck_called_a_myth>.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweight-convertible-full-face-helmets-review/

In this test only the Fox Proframe, Giro Switchblade, Lazer Revolution FF MIPS, and MET Parachute meet the more rigorous ASTM F1952 DH standard, the same standard that certifies helmets seen on the WC DH scene.

I have the MET Parachute, and there are forum members that use the Giro Switchblade.

You can add one.... the Bell SUPER DH MIPS-EQUIPPED to the lost of qualified helmets as well. 

Nobody is going to argue that a motorcycle helmet is not safer than a downhill bicycle helmet. But people tend to draw the line somewhere. Not everyone riding an euc will do so in full motorcross gear (and even that motorcross gear isn't good enough it seems as those helmets have a rather big exposure of your face), or put on one-piece motorcycle leathers. It's always a trade-off between safety and comfort. A motorcycle helmet is hot, especially in the summer with the sun shining on it, as it is made for high speeds, not 18mph cruising.

Pretty sure that if the helmet is good enough to withstand a crash on an off-road downhill mountainbike track that it will be safe enough to withstand a crash on an euc. Now as soon as you decide to ride at 45+ km/h average speed everything changes, but that's also true for all other protections on your body. Your average skateboard knee and elbow pads also aren't meant to be crashed at 50km/h. You might also want to invest in motorcycle boots as falling of and getting your foot on the pavement could result in serious ankle injuries.

Also, nobody mentioned MIPS anywhere in this discussion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rolekl said:

Yes. I got the V5F from Gearbest for around 370 euros. If you don't need more than 15-20 km range that should be fine. 

I think we can up that range a bit, because the person riding it weighs, with gear, 22kg :D 

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Motorcycle visors must meet VESC 8 standards in order to be certified DOT (which all Snell helmets meet). The VESC 8 standard states the visor must not chip, shatter, or otherwise allow a penetrating object through the visor, and that the visor must have no sharp edges.

Would you prefer to have a visor that meets VESC 8 or would you prefer to have nothing between you and the penetrating object? What would most reasonable people prefer?

Heavier helmets, within reason, aren't associated with an increase of whiplash.

“Motorcycle Helmets Reduce Spine Injuries after Collisions; Helmet Weight as Risk to Neck Called a ‘Myth’.” Johns Hopkins Medicine. The Johns Hopkins University, 8 Feb 2011. Web. 31 Aug 2013. <http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/motorcycle_helmets_reduce_ spine_injuries_after_collisions_helmet_weight_as_risk_to_neck_called_a_myth>.

That's great that the visor will never crack under ANY circumstance. The universe I live in is not as finite. I went without a visor, because they can get foggy, dirty, and when open, can mess with peripheral vision. I find that having the best vision possible will protect me way more so than a visor. That's my "opinion". As for the heavier helmet hurtling towards the ground with more impact force, that's simple physics. Same idea that you don't want to try to hold a baby while driving. Come to a complete stop (collision), and a few pound baby all of a sudden is un-holdable. If you have a cut out and your foot hits the ground, your head will have the most momentum as it crashes against the ground. Of course, this is all speculation. I don't need to quote a motorcycle industry lobbied "study", as that's funded by that industry, for that industry. On a motorcycle, that study is probably correct, as the scenario of a faceplant on EUC involves different forces than a motorcycle crash. Of course, we all want to be safe, and we purchase our protective gear for many reasons including cost, comfort, DOT rated, chin bar, etc. I say, buy what you want and what makes you feel good and protected, and support others for their decisions and share "opinions" respectfully. Happy riding everyone! 

Edited by Rama Douglas

13 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

That's great that the visor will never crack under ANY circumstance. The universe I live in is not as finite. I went without a visor, because they can get foggy, dirty, and when open, can mess with peripheral vision. I find that having the best vision possible will protect me way more so than a visor. That's my "opinion". As for the heavier helmet hurtling towards the ground with more impact force, that's simple physics. Same idea that you don't want to try to hold a baby while driving. Come to a complete stop (collision), and a few pound baby all of a sudden is un-holdable. If you have a cut out and your foot hits the ground, your head will have the most momentum as it crashes against the ground. Of course, this is all speculation. I don't need to quote a motorcycle industry lobbied "study", as that's funded by that industry, for that industry. On a motorcycle, that study is probably correct, as the scenario of a faceplant on EUC involves different forces than a motorcycle crash. Of course, we all want to be safe, and we purchase our protective gear for many reasons including cost, comfort, DOT rated, chin bar, etc. I say, buy what you want and what makes you feel good and protected, and support others for their decisions and share "opinions" respectfully. Happy riding everyone! 

This is just one of the reasons I don’t wear a helmet. I feel like you’re MORE likely to hit your head wearing one as the weight is just not able to be held up and you also have a few more inches sticking out so when you do hit the ground you’ll be more likely to make contact. 

Its terrible logic, I know. Don’t be like me. I do wear full body armor or motorcycle jackets, knee and hip armor with gloves though. All the time. Funny how I use ATGATT but don’t wear helmets ....

I’ve seen plenty of helmet less people skim the ground with their head, avoiding contact by mere centimeters likely due to spatial awareness preventing an impact (that same proprioception is diminished when wearing a helmet). Regardless it’s much safer to just wear the helmet, especially if you’re on the road and might get hit by a car, although then we’re talking about injuries a helmet won’t prevent ....

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

I’ve thought about why EUC riders ride with  hands limp at the side and I truly think it’s because we have this idea that being perfectly still is “mastery” of balancing on the unicycle. 

In the beginning, we used large arm corrections to go in a straight line and to turn, but as our bodies adapted to the EUC and muscle memory set in we no longer needed these arm contributions to control the machine. 

If we think about manual unicycle riders, even the pros still have massive amounts of arm utilization for going straight and turning. 

So imagine if we added back the control our arm contributions brought to our newly programmed/conditioned bodies that no longer need it. That is the riding style I see Tishawn has. It may look.... dangerous, but he’s figured out that by adding back an element that made you better in the beginning stages is what allows “ultimate control”. 

Tishawn was one of the first people I watched ride when I found out about these things. Honestly, the first video I saw was the "zombie" look and i was like...............uh................... nah...... But then I saw Tishawn, @houseofjob and some of the EU Boys and I was like, oh damn, okay, yeah, im about this! I'm trying to learn to ride like that. I just started carving today and using my arms still, even though I dont need to so much. And it feels like it does when im skiing. I'm not good enough to analyse and break down how they ride to the point that I can implement it into my own beginner style, but i'd like to. 

And to the OP. Sorry about your fall mate. Rest up and hope you recover shortly. One of the reasons I went for a pretty decently strong first wheel was because I know im not trying to push it, and within those imposed limits I can trust it will have the reserve power to not introduce my face into the sidewalk no matter what. 

Also picked up a full face. One of the straight trash ones @langhamp was mentioning LOL. Heres to hoping i dont need to test the chinguard for a while in any of my falls!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, seage said:

Tishawn was one of the first people I watched ride when I found out about these things. Honestly, the first video I saw was the "zombie" look and i was like...............uh................... nah...... But then I saw Tishawn, @houseofjob and some of the EU Boys and I was like, oh damn, okay, yeah, im about this! I'm trying to learn to ride like that. I just started carving today and using my arms still, even though I dont need to so much. And it feels like it does when im skiing. I'm not good enough to analyse and break down how they ride to the point that I can implement it into my own beginner style, but i'd like to. 

You absolutely don’t need to use your arms. But when you do use them your movements are performed more efficiently - quicker and with more stability. 

Example: if I stick my arm out in front of me (partially bent like a runner, not Superman!) then it contributes to acceleration while minimizing my risk of an overlean and I can be in a more stable position on the wheel instead of leaning precariously far forward.

To go further with the stability aspect, think of a maximal accelerating lean and being on your toes with the heel up and suddenly you hit a pothole and you bounce up off the pedals. If you had maximally accelerated with the arm out in front then you could afford to maximize foot contact with the pedals by keeping the heel down which could save you if you go slightly airborne from a pothole. 

Sticking my arm out makes all the difference when going up steep hills as sometimes on these big 18+” wheels you’re already leaning at the limit of your ability to stay on the wheel and need a little more power. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chad Slavin said:

To answer the hands question, they were out and ready, as seen in the video I just posted

Wow that looked hairy, but you must have better eye sight than me because I could not make out anything other than you were moving fast and then you were on the ground.  You don't need video evidence to prove your hand position.  If you say they were out, they were out. We work on the honor system here.;)  How are you feeling?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, Chad Slavin said:

Ya no problem. I was having a fairly normal day on it, rode it a few miles just before the accident, running errands around town. Dropped all groceries off and was headed into work next, still had 3 out of 5  battery bars left, so 60% or so. I was riding at about 12 or 13 miles an hour, a comfortable pace without the tilt back or warning lady yelling at me to slow down. Was about to start tilting back to slow down as I arrived at work, but it turned off and I felt it roll forward, I didn't have time to put my arms out, so they were by my waist, and the face and jacket hit the pavement really hard and slid for 15 or 20 ft I feel like. About 15 people ran out to the bike lane to help me collect my unicycle and my backpack, and clean up the blood, helped me inside my workplace to clean up a bit, and took me to the medical clinic to get looked at and stitched up. Quite a day. Still love the electric unicycle, just dont know if anyone else ever had it randomly turn off on them while riding.

3 days ago had the same thing happen on my V8 was going up hill about 12 mph then the motor turned off both pedals tilted forward ,landed on knees and wrists , luckily had all protection on , and it was your post that made me buy a helmet, have not been back on it since i have been riding it for 3 months no issues, so a bit worrying inmotion may have safety problems, which is a shame as i thought the brand was a safe one, have you been back on the v5 ? , scary as i don't know if and when it might happen again, but i'm going to get back on it in a few days when weather permits to try it but still very scared it might happen again when i'm not expecting it luckily i was not leaning to one side otherwise could have been very bad. cheers Nige

On 2/18/2019 at 1:29 AM, Chad Slavin said:

Riding my inmotion v5f to work today, it suddenly turned itself off and I ended up in a face slide, resulting in black eye, swollen and torn lips and nose, chin is getting stitches currently, arms are cut/road rashed, glasses destroyed( bent and scratched beyond repair), jacket got torn to shreds. Anuone else ever have this issue? I have been riding it for over 6 months no problems yet, this is its first malfunction.

20190217_162820.jpg

3 days ago had the same thing happen on my V8 was going up hill about 12 mph then the motor turned off both pedals tilted forward ,landed on knees and wrists , luckily had all protection on , and it was your post that made me buy a helmet, have not been back on it since i have been riding it for 3 months no issues, so a bit worrying inmotion may have safety problems, which is a shame as i thought the brand was a safe one, have you been back on the v5 ? , scary as i don't know if and when it might happen again, but i'm going to get back on it in a few days when weather permits to try it but still very scared it might happen again when i'm not expecting it luckily i was not leaning to one side otherwise could have been very bad. cheers Nige

Again: Temperature, state of charge, rider weight.

12mph on 480wh uphill raises already my eyebrows...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

First of, thanks for sharing your story! Hope you have a painless recovery.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:00 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

I’ve thought about why EUC riders ride with  hands limp at the side and I truly think it’s because we have this idea that being perfectly still is “mastery” of balancing on the unicycle. 

In the beginning, we used large arm corrections to go in a straight line and to turn, but as our bodies adapted to the EUC and muscle memory set in we no longer needed these arm contributions to control the machine. 

If we think about manual unicycle riders, even the pros still have massive amounts of arm utilization for going straight and turning. 

So imagine if we added back the control our arm contributions brought to our newly programmed/conditioned bodies that no longer need it. That is the riding style I see Tishawn has. It may look.... dangerous, but he’s figured out that by adding back an element that made you better in the beginning stages is what allows “ultimate control”. 

Tishawne is a great rider but the way he rides in his video's cannot be applied here. If I were to ride like that, taking up all the road, slaloming between traffic and pedestrians, constantly moving in unpredictable ways (to other traffic), I would get pulled over in a second. Also, what if you want to take up as little space on the road as possible? Just riding in a straight line, making sure people can still pass you etc. like i presume most of us ride? You can't do that while flailing your arms and being unbalanced all the time.

I agree with what you are saying about Tishawne's riding style. It's just not doable for most of us even if we wanted to.