Inmotion V5f cut out/ turned off mid ride, major fall

Chad Slavin

@Chad Slavin that's one hell of a way to introduce yourself to the forum.:mellow:  That sounds nasty and painful, and expensive.  I feel for you.

When you get some time could you fill us in on the details, as you remember them?  Crash analysis is a big thing here, which hopefully helps others not repeat the process. I cut my chin, once and only once in a face plant, but it was barely a graze, nothing like that grand canyon you are sporting. Ouch! 

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

Sincerely sorry to hear that. I have a V5F and this has never happened to me except when voluntarily fooling around on a very steep slope.

I would like to know the ambient temperature and your weight, please.

• Like 1

I think low temperatures can affect this behaviour, too. 

A few days ago I started with a full battery and fresh air in the tire and wanted to take a bump very hard for testing the behaviour with more air pressure (around 3.5 bar) than my regular 2.9 bar. 

The temperature was around +5°C and I felt a "weakness" (a very soft overlean) when my wheel hit the ground and had to catch me up. Nothing bad happened but I got some unwanted adrenaline for free. 

During the summer I start requesting a power from 2 to 3kW just behind the door. During the cold I have to drive it warm, frist to avoid power related problems.

• Like 1

I’m sorry to hear this Chad! That is one nasty  gash! It’s wonderful that strangers came to your aid.

I use to own a V5F and absolutely trusted it. Please keep us updated. Be well!

3 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

Everyone who thinks full face helmets are too heavy, scare pedestrians, or any other lame excuse for not wearing one should read this post. 

I fully agree! 

• Like 2

Wow. That’s awful. Get well soon. 

I wear my full face every time now just because of this kind of incident. Used to just wear a skateboard helmet but upgraded and seeing things like this makes me feel like I made the right decision 

My V8 has not done this. But I always feel like it is a when and not an if. At least it seems that way. 

• Like 2

The jacket you were wearing was unfortunately worthless too. Probably worse than bare skin as the nylon can melt into a wound and be more difficult for medics to deal with than flushing out road gravel/dirt.

Get a decent motorcycle textile jacket, they are able to take huge abrasion levels and usually come fitted with armour to boot. Nowadays they can be bought to appear very casual, almost indistinguishable from a normal jacket.

And a full face lid of course!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pico said:

25F is -4 deg C . At this temperature the internal resistance of the battery is way higher than say at the optimum 25 deg C.

You were riding at 60% with the equivalent of a sub 150 Wh battery. 

This is the major culprit IMHO.

Get well soon.

That's it exactly. I forgot to ask about the temperature. So that's also good news because now you know you wheel didn't spas out for no reason.  In addition to it being cold, and your battery low, you had also been running errands, which means the batteries had been out in the cold for a while.  If you had just left the house and rode off 40%  of that battery in say 30 minutes of straight riding, the battery probably wouldn't have got so cold; and it may never have happened. C’est la vie.

• Upvote 1

@Rama Douglas I really think there's an illusion to many EUC riders that they are fine without gear at low speeds and the only ones who risk getting hurt ride fast and loose like Tishawne does in his videos. Hitting the pavement sucks at 12 or 22 miles per hour from my experience in 36 years of falling off various wheeled vehicles.

Edited by Girth Brooks
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Rama Douglas I really think there's an illusion to many EUC riders that they are fine without gear at low speeds and the only ones who risk getting hurt ride fast and loose like Tishawne does in his videos. Hitting the pavement sucks at 12 or 22 miles per hour from my experience in 36 years of falling of various wheeled vehicles.

As far as physical, my slow speed was worse, psychologically, my faster wreck was way worse. That death wobble stays with you ... 😬

• Like 2

@Rama Douglas I hit a speed bump I didn't see in my first higher speed crash. That one scared me good for sure. I remain focused on my path now. I would've been hurt good without my gear on that day. I fully realized then that the protection I ordered with my wheel was money well spent.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for sharing your story.

It was a stark lesson to me that the learning curve doesn't end. Once I became comfortable on my rides I had focused solely on threat assessment and practicing tighter and slower maneuvers. Now, after reading this post, I'll be placing greater importance on aspects I never really considered; learning the limits of the technology and to develop a relationship with my wheel. Oh, and I'll be getting safety gear, too!. 

I wish you a speedy and full recovery. 

• Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 5:00 PM, Chad Slavin said:

Ya no problem. I was having a fairly normal day on it, rode it a few miles just before the accident, running errands around town. Dropped all groceries off and was headed into work next, still had 3 out of 5  battery bars left, so 60% or so. I was riding at about 12 or 13 miles an hour, a comfortable pace without the tilt back or warning lady yelling at me to slow down. Was about to start tilting back to slow down as I arrived at work, but it turned off and I felt it roll forward, I didn't have time to put my arms out, so they were by my waist, and the face and jacket hit the pavement really hard and slid for 15 or 20 ft I feel like. About 15 people ran out to the bike lane to help me collect my unicycle and my backpack, and clean up the blood, helped me inside my workplace to clean up a bit, and took me to the medical clinic to get looked at and stitched up. Quite a day. Still love the electric unicycle, just dont know if anyone else ever had it randomly turn off on them while riding.

You where asking if that has happen to others...

so the answer is, yes , definitly. 

and the behaviour of your wheel points, for me, to a bad cell, at least one if not more!

The Im wheels have the behaviour that even if one cell drops below the minimum cell voltage, that the bms shuts down the wheel.

i have heard/seen a few of similiar reports to yours about v5/v8. As those wheels only have 2 parallel cell packs, the cells are a bit more stressed ....and so something like this can happen. i highly advise checking the battery by a pro before riding again.

yes, the low temp might have been a cause of the Situation, also,.but as you said that was just totally out of the blue, it sounds like a cell failure to me.

• Like 3