I Woke Up Today With Tinnitus (but it's gone now)

Smoother

Anybody have any experience with this?  It's only in my right ear.  The Internet doesn't seem to think there is a cure.  It's like a constant 3k hum.  It's very obvious when the room is silent.  I'm not looking forward to bed time.

No loud music, no live concerts, no gun fire, no electric guitar or drums.  Maybe I should quit using cotton buds in my ears.:mellow:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

@Heyzeus thanks. I'm beating the back of my head like Jim Carrie in Liar Liar.  No change yet. At this rate I wont have to worry about going to bed as I will have knocked myself out right here in the lounge.  But, hey! a win's a win right?

If you don't here from me in a few days, I've probably bashed my own skull in with the TV remote.:(

Edited by Smoother

I had tinnitus in one ear. One constant loud tone. I went to the ear doc and was told I had otosclerosis (the stapes in the middle ear was stuck). Had laser stamp surgery to unfreeze the stapes and all is well again in that ear. My left ear is beginning to get stuck. But it's just a snow sound so I don't care. A hearing aid can push sound past the middle ear so if I hear a loud tone on the left I'll try that next time, because the doc doesn't think my nerve of taste grew back on the right side.

You can get temporary tinnitus with fluid in your ear from an infection.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

I had tinnitus in one ear. One constant loud tone. I went to the ear doc and was told I had otosclerosis (the stapes in the middle ear was stuck). Had laser stamp surgery to unfreeze the stapes and all is well again in that ear. My left ear is beginning to get stuck. But it's just a snow sound so I don't care. A hearing aid can push sound past the middle ear so if I hear a loud tone on the left I'll try that next time, because the doc doesn't think my nerve of taste grew back on the right side.

You can get temporary tinnitus with fluid in your ear from an infection.

Wow that sounds promising. I do tent to moisten the cotton bud before ramming it hard into my ear rummaging around in there.  I'm going to have to stop doing that.  Thanks for the information and hope, that this might be gone by tomorrow. If the moisture theory doesn't pan out I'll look into otosclerosis.  Thanks for taking the time to give me hope.  I might even sleep better now. 

BTW, what does snow like? Is it like white noise?  Get it "white" noise, snow!  Oh, never mind.

7 minutes ago, Smoother said:

BTW, what does snow like? Is it like white noise?  Get it "white" noise, snow!  Oh, never mind. 

Lol. Yes, I call white noise snow. Not sure if it's a New York thing or just me. :)

Oh and an ear infection has fluid in your middle ear.

Edited by tessa25
  • Like 1

I had that last week in my left ear. I wad up moistened toilet tissue and shove them in my ears to block my wife’s snoring sounds. If you don’t squeeze out the moisture enough it will drip back into your ear. Mine went away in two days. Weird feeling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

90% (or some other very big percentage) of tinnitus is from tense neck/back muscles and not related to the ear itself. That was a huge revelation, told to me by a otologist (or whatever the right word is) who specialized in this. People tend to get their ears checked (naturally) with sudden tinnitus, but nobody goes to a orthopedist or likewise.

Might be an infection or some other mechanical thing in your ear. Or might just be your musculature, a blocked vertebra, old age muscle depletion (:P) showing itself, something like this.

Maybe you know the short term tinnitus (a few seconds) that can happen when you lie down in bed after a long day. That's obviously caused by your muscles changing their tension. Just to clarify the principle. Same thing can happen less temporary from less temporary muscle stuff.

(This should be in offtopic. Also for some reason the activity tab showed me this old thread, but the info is still good so...)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

90% (or some other very big percentage) of tinnitus is from tense neck/back muscles and not related to the ear itself. 

The mechanism whereby the chemicals that make your ears ring seems well-understood and well-researched. Those chemicals can be from stress as well as pharmaceutical.

https://academic.oup.com/bmb/article/63/1/195/377491#118714208

There's also the physical damage that the hairs inside your ears get when exposed to loud noises. Interestingly, most people in the industrial world have such damage which shows you our cities are extremely loud. Ambulances and fire trucks are ludicrously loud, in my opinion.

I find it ironic that aspirin is one of the most common sources of tinnitus, as is stress, but if you take the aspirin then you get tinnitus whereas if you don't take aspirin then your tense muscles give you tinnitus.

• Like 1

Thanks @meepmeepmayer and @LanghamP for your input and the link.  fortunately with each passing day it subsided until the 3rd. day it was gone. The sore muscles thing may have some merit.  I have a tense jaw from constantly grinding on a filling that is too high (put in, mid December).  I'm actually going to my dentist tomorrow to sort it out

I had a GF  once, with tinnitus.  I sympathized, but one can't relate until it happens to you.  I'm REALLY glad it's gone.

Since most doctors will attribute the ringing in the ears to many different physical possibilities, I tend to look elsewhere for causes for things such as tinnitus. Whenever I hear the ringing, I take it as a Universal connection communing with me. I'll even try to harmonize with the tone, by say humming with it trying to match the pitch. Always brings me peace. Frequencies can be very healing and I'm constantly amazed by how deep the science behind Sonic research is regarding different frequencies and healing potential. Definitely interesting to check into, but what do I know, other than what works for me. After all, I'm just some weirdo from the future who supernaturally floats around with a uni-bot between my legs, just like y'all...😜Hope your ear frequencies are smoother, @Smoother!

https://consciousreminder.com/2018/01/13/hearing-frequencies-sign-spiritual-awakening-serious-medical-condition/

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 1

Funny you should mention harmonizing with the frequency.  I got a tone generator app and tried to match the frequency, it was around 2,700Hz.  I couldn't do it.  I was hoping to "trap" it and then coax it down by lowering the Hz on the generator.  Anyway, it's gone now. @Rama Douglas Is yours constant or does it come and go?

I drove a 6 hour round trip to see my dentist (250 miles) and she said she couldn't fix the tooth because it was two crowns facing each other (not her work) and she was not comfortable grinding on crowns.  So I took my wheel to the local beach, had a nice afternoon in the sun (warmest winter day in UK in recorded history (21.5C), visited my brother on the drive home, and then filed the gold crown down with a 10" file from my tool box.  Worked a charm.  Maybe a little touch up in the future, but its already loads better.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 7:47 PM, Smoother said:

visited my brother on the drive home, and then filed the gold crown down with a 10" file from my tool box.  Worked a charm.  Maybe a little touch up in the future, but its already loads better.

That took some guts. Great job!  I can’t tell which tooth you filed. :confused1:

47181102512_d1ac270ba8_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, Smoother said:

Funny you should mention harmonizing with the frequency.  I got a tone generator app and tried to match the frequency, it was around 2,700Hz.  I couldn't do it.  I was hoping to "trap" it and then coax it down by lowering the Hz on the generator.  Anyway, it's gone now. @Rama Douglas Is yours constant or does it come and go?

Mine comes around seldomly and unexpectedly. Not much of a bother at all. Wow, what a crazy vibration in yer skull that must be to have crowns filed. Glad it helped and hopefully the filing job went smoother, @Smoother , with your brother at the helm than with scaredy cat dentist lady...🤪

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...